• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Undergrad In Depression After Jobless for 3 Years

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[h=2]Don’t waste your money on tertiary education[/h]
dmca_protected_sml_120n.png
PostDateIcon.png
December 31st, 2013 |
PostAuthorIcon.png
Author: Contributions

KBW-discourages-ITE-and-Polytechnic-graduate-from-pursuing-a-university-degree-300x195.jpg
It is not worth it. Read the below comment by a mother posted in TRE.
mala:
December 20, 2013 at 7:04 pm

I m 62years mum, my son nus graduate is jobless for nearly 3years.he is depress now and on medication.can the pap gov understand my pain and how my heart is aching.

Sadly, many parents and their graduate children are in the same dire straits. Many have dug out their life savings to put their children through universities. Some sold their properties, downgrade from private to HDB, some from bigger HDB to smaller HDB flats, to squeeze the money needed for overseas university tuition fees, for the sake of their children. And what happened? They could not get a decent job in their home country, the same country they called home, served NS and pledged to defend with their lives, while there are more than a million good jobs taken up by foreigners.

I encourage all parents not to waste their money sending their children to universities, here in world best universities, or overseas in unranked universities. Many would end up jobless and suffer depression. And if they ended up working in part time jobs or driving taxis, they would never be able to earn enough to recover what the parents had paid for their education. If parents do not want to heed my advice, never mind, just listen to the good ministers, no need university education, be hawkers or be other skill workers. These are good advices from people in the know, people who made policies that affect everyone of us. Don’t listen to me, listen to them.

I feel very sorry to so many parents and their graduate children who ended up jobless and had no better choice than to drive taxis while foreigners are swarming this Sin City to replace them. Sad indeed.

This is the real hard truth that more and more Sinkies would have to live with. Great place to live, and a great life, for the very rich and for foreigners. Sinkies must be grateful for their good fortune to live in this great city.

Chua Chin Leng aka redbean

* The writer blogs at http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com.

20070410_Lee-Hsien-Loong_0_5_0_6_0.jpg

I dare you to vote my Leegime out in 2016! *hee*hee*

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
BK: December 31, 2013 at 9:28 pm BK(Quote)
And so, we are on the eve of another New Year. But it pains me to read that many graduates, fresh and experienced ones, swirling in hopelessness. Deceived, not perhaps through deliberate malice, but surely because a government has too long held itself to be the answer.

I have 4 kids. And I wonder what can I do for them. How to give them the best of an imperfect father? When the times comes for them to set sail, even God lets nature takes its course. But, I hope for them to be fiercely independent, to have the courage to lead their own lives and be humane, and not be afraid to suffer, to always keep the flame of hope in their darkness moments, and there will be many, before the day of rest comes. And always to seek the good fight.
And so I find this article depressing. It surrenders too easily. And mostly it is passive, it alludes to forces of inevitability what is personal character. Please, infused in our children a heart of action, to be a predator and not a prey. The drug and addiction of governmental patronage, is now, but a placebo. They are clueless and lackadaisical in words and deeds to arouse Singaporeans.

It should not be education we are against. For a government to ask its citizens to denigrate University education, shows how bankrupt its ideas are in a global economy that needs innovation, which was first officially encapsulated by EDB’s 1999, ‘Knowledge Based Economy’.

“Having invested heavily in ICT, the Singapore government is now keen to use content and creativity to enter the next wave of development. This has prompted the development of the Creative Industries Development Strategy to enable Singapore to compete in the global knowledge economy aiming to nurture Singapore as a creative centre (ERC Report, 2002).”

How can we move forward without education/knowledge? A government that does not know how to use its people’s capacity, resulting in overeducation and negative wage, is a government devoid of inventiveness, and doom to failure. Rather than stop educating our children, perhaps it is time to have a government that knows better how to leverage our education and our ambitions.

So, I wish for 2014, to our young Singaporeans, to learn, to be passionate, to be brave. If Singapore cannot provide you the job you want, seek it elsewhere. Never give up.

VA:F [1.9.22_1171]

Rating: +57 (from 57 votes)

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
The graduate children of all my friends have landed good jobs without any problems.

A degree alone is not going to guarantee you a well paid job. You need to be able to convince potential employers that you have what it takes to be an asset to the company.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
By Josephine Chong
The Sunday Times
Tuesday, Jul 09, 2013

FORUM
SINGAPORE - Managing editor Han Fook Kwang has aired a truth that political correctness and politeness have long buried.

I run a tiny legal practice and for a long time was shielded from the harsh realities of the labour market because I had an excellent legal secretary. Unfortunately, she relocated to Turkey with her husband.

Over the course of a year, I experimented with all types of hires, among them polytechnic graduates. They could not string one sentence together, let alone two. They could neither reason nor organise work flow. Some of them found it impossible to make it to work on time, or at all. And once trained, they jumped ship the moment they could.

I was, however, lucky enough to get an intern, a National University of Singapore business graduate, through family connections. Her attitude and aptitude were excellent, but she struggled with her English.

When I pointed out to her that her sentence lacked a verb, she had no clue what a verb was, or the rules of sentence construction.
At a class reunion, one of my former classmates, now a school principal, told me ruefully that Singapore had lost two generations in terms of English, as they were not taught the rules of grammar.

Our education system needs yet another revamp, and industry leaders need to be consulted.

- Josephine Chong

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
A mistake many people make is equating a university degree with high income. It may be dissappointing to them eventually.

Cheers!

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
A mistake many people make is equating a university degree with high income. It may be dissappointing to them eventually.

Cheers!

Singapore is now no different from the rest of the Western world where a degree doesn't mean much simply because it is now a mass produced product accessable to all and sundry.

Back in the 70s an early 80s, only the top 2% of any cohort gained admission to a university. The rich kids went overseas but most of the degrees they obtained were not recognised.

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[h=2]Downplaying university degrees in Singapore[/h]
dmca_protected_sml_120n.png
PostDateIcon.png
December 31st, 2013 |
PostAuthorIcon.png
Author: Online Press

NTU-Grad.png
(12 Dec) - With thousands of unemployed graduates, the Singapore government plans to cap campus enrolment.
It is clearer now why the government had been discouraging Singaporeans from depending too much on university degrees.
The reason is that the pool of unemployed graduates is expanding in this wealthy city, despite a general shortage of workers.
Almost by the week, new cases are being reported about well-educated professionals struggling to find jobs.
The latest example: A 29-year-old accountancy and finance graduate wrote of his failed job hunt for two years, saying: “I am deeply worried.”
Posted on a website, www.transitioning.org, which helps unemployed professionals, his is one of many such tales, including the following:
― A 51-year-old jobless graduate who earned S$4,000 ($3,197) per month said he might have to become a security guard. “On some nights, I would wake up breaking out in a cold sweat and worrying about my future.”
― A 28-year-old arts graduate has been jobless for one year, surviving on her savings.
― A 35-year-old Malay graduate ex-teacher and single mum is jobless and going homeless soon.
― A jobless 47-year-old graduate had only one offer in seven months ― for a S$6-an-hour temp position.
― A 35-year-old jobless graduate and mum of two kids surviving on her security guard husband’s salary and with less than S$10 in the bank.

Read more: www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20131212001030

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Life better at 6.9million: December 31, 2013 at 12:57 pm Life better at 6.9million(Quote)
Many Car dealers now employing “Foreign Talented” Salesman , so called Graduates from SIM .
Pay $1,000 /=
I wonder if Minister Tan Chuan Jin is “curious” to find out ?

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
With thousands of unemployed graduates, the Singapore government plans to cap campus enrolment.
It is clearer now why the government had been discouraging Singaporeans from depending too much on university degrees.
The reason is that the pool of unemployed graduates is expanding in this wealthy city, despite a general shortage of workers.

This is an excellent move. University degrees need to be turned into a scarce commodity again in order to restore their value.

If gold littered the streets and was as widespread as sand on the beach, it would lose all its value too.

DuYunQi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
By Josephine Chong
The Sunday Times
Tuesday, Jul 09, 2013

FORUM
SINGAPORE - Managing editor Han Fook Kwang has aired a truth that political correctness and politeness have long buried.

I run a tiny legal practice and for a long time was shielded from the harsh realities of the labour market because I had an excellent legal secretary. Unfortunately, she relocated to Turkey with her husband.

Over the course of a year, I experimented with all types of hires, among them polytechnic graduates. They could not string one sentence together, let alone two. They could neither reason nor organise work flow. Some of them found it impossible to make it to work on time, or at all. And once trained, they jumped ship the moment they could.

I was, however, lucky enough to get an intern, a National University of Singapore business graduate, through family connections. Her attitude and aptitude were excellent, but she struggled with her English.

When I pointed out to her that her sentence lacked a verb, she had no clue what a verb was, or the rules of sentence construction.
At a class reunion, one of my former classmates, now a school principal, told me ruefully that Singapore had lost two generations in terms of English, as they were not taught the rules of grammar.

Our education system needs yet another revamp, and industry leaders need to be consulted.

- Josephine Chong

Wow!! Nice to see LeongSam doing a indirect "hit" on the Govt.. hitting on the Education system.. NICE one Boss of thie forum.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Wow!! Nice to see LeongSam doing a indirect "hit" on the Govt.. hitting on the Education system.. NICE one Boss of thie forum.

This problem isn't confined to Singapore. The ditching of grammar has occurred in many countries to the detriment of all.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have worked for some time now, and when asked to look for employees (in technical sales) I no longer look for degree or even diploma holders. Of course, ability to handle office and communications equipment is a necessary skill these days, and on top of that, I look for presentation, attitude, and positive attitude. Other things, they will learn on the job as they go, but ability to accept rejection and facing negatives are key to getting through. A uni degree may help, but I will not insist on it as the job skill set does not require that kind of technical ability. Attentiveness to customer and market needs are more important, and that is just common sense. I wonder how many engineers out there actually refer to their text or notes from classroom lectures on thermodynamics and reaction engineering. Also, I don't care what university they went to, a hardworking student from an unknown uni is better than a lazy student from a famous uni.

In any case, universities and tertiary education are only to further knowledge in a particular field, it does not do anything to improve work attitude.

Cheers!

Singapore is now no different from the rest of the Western world where a degree doesn't mean much simply because it is now a mass produced product accessable to all and sundry.

Back in the 70s an early 80s, only the top 2% of any cohort gained admission to a university. The rich kids went overseas but most of the degrees they obtained were not recognised.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I have to agree with boss sam on this. Engrish in ozland also chia lat. Kids r not taught to spell n grammar not taught properly. I heard they r just taught to talk.
This problem isn't confined to Singapore. The ditching of grammar has occurred in many countries to the detriment of all.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
In any case, universities and tertiary education are only to further knowledge in a particular field, it does not do anything to improve work attitude.

Cheers!

In the the "good old days", earning a good degree required hard work, perseverance and a good IQ. The possession of a degree therefore provided a measure of the man behind it.

When I was hiring, I used to look for graduates with good results and who also displayed leadership qualities eg Prefect, Athletics Captain etc.

Sadly this is no longer the case. Even morons have degrees which is why it has lost its value.

Tuayapeh

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The best slaves are the types of subservient and cowardly slaves who simply betray each other for another fucking piece of stale lau hong biscuit.......

Slaves who have nowhere to run and have been heeding all sorts of bullshit and false promises of riches....maybe along the way a few might manage to wake up their fucking ideas and think of escape but those are exceptional....the rest who cling on and continue to hope and believe that they will be even more richly rewarded and dunno when is enough enough will just get stuck in their little island concentration camp.....

Sinkies of stinkapore desrve the fate coming for them..... For wanting to cling on for the promise for more and more.....just like those greedy cheebyes who got their balls caught in the vise like the SIA clown, the asia brewery clown and the SLA clowns.............wait lor ccb....see how when the whoele sky comes down wtf are u gonna hide.......

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The onset of instant messaging has negated the need for grammar or any decent sense of language structure. I have none yet no one have issues understanding me

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
The onset of instant messaging has negated the need for grammar or any decent sense of language structure. I have none yet no one have issues understanding me

It's required when you're giving a presentation or writing a manual or a book or arguing your cause in a debate.

jw5

Loyal

It should be "no one has" issues understanding me. Nobody, No one, Everyone, Everybody is always followed by a singular verb. :o:biggrin: