• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

    The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

UK "killer curry" eating competition - 10 contestants violently ill, 2 hospitalised

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
'Killer' curry competition hospitalises two

Diners suffered vomiting and cramps whilst participating in a 'world's hottest chilli' eating competition in Edinburgh
David Batty
<time datetime="2011-10-05T23:05BST" pubdate="" style="padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; border-collapse: collapse; ">Wednesday 5 October 2011 23.05 BST</time>


'Dorset Naga' chillies, are used in the 'killer' curry that hospitalised two in Edinburgh. Photograph: Oli Scarff/Getty Images

Two contestants in a 'world's hottest chilli' eating competition at an Edinburgh Indian restaurant had to be taken to hospital after suffering violent reactions to the spicy dish.

The Scottish Ambulance Service criticised the Kismot curry house, St Leonards Street, after 10 diners suffered vomiting and some passed out after eating the 'killer' curry during the charity event.

Two people were taken to the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary after British Red Cross workers on hand at the contest on Saturday were overwhelmed by the adverse reactions to the "Kismot Killer".

Abdul Ali, one of brothers who runs the family restaurant, said he would have to tone down the dish for future contests to avoid another call out for the emergency services.

The restaurant's website states that contestants must sign a legal disclaimer before taking part in the competition, which raised £1,500 for the Children's Hospice Association of Scotland (Chas). It also advises diners to put a toilet roll in the freezer when they get home.

Ali said the contestants suffered severe stomach pains after eating the Kismot Killer in the final round.

He said: "Unfortunately they were in pain and didn't want to move. They vomited a couple of times. About three or four vomited in the toilets and some went outisde for fresh air.

"We're definitely going to cool it down next year."

The dish contains the potent Dorset naga and the Jolokia, or ghost naga, both reputed to be among the hottest varieties chillis in the world, Ali added.

Competition winner Beverly Jones, 53, from Newington, Edinburgh, said she suffered agonising stomach cramps after completing the three-round challenge.

"You had to eat the whole bowl and I finished the lot. I wouldn't recommend it. Five minutes later I was in the toilet. It was not a nice experience. I was sick. Every participant was sick. I'm not going to defend my title next year."

A British Red Cross spokeswoman confirmed that two first aiders at the competition made a judgement that an ambulance was required for the two most severely ill contestants. They included Curie Kim, a 21-year-old South Korean student who came second in the competition.

A spokesman for the Scottish Ambulance Service said: "Two patients were taken to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary after becoming very unwell at Kismot restaurant.

"We would urge the organisers to review the way in which this event is managed in future in order to avoid another situation where emergency ambulances are required to treat their customers."

The disclaimer on the restaurant's website states: "Kismot Restaurant will take no responsibilities for the bodily functions after you eat the curry.

"If you die whilst eating the or as a direct result of eating the curry, members if the table with [sic] share the cost of your Kismot Killer.

"If you become ill due to the Kismot Killer of if you find that you are experiencing any problems with your lover(s) then under no circumstances are you entitled to blame Kismot Restaurant or any members of its staff.

"The Kismot Killer is free if you completely finish eating it by yourself.

"For your own well being we highly recommend that you immediately put your toilet roll in the freezer when you get home."

The dish has previously caused diners to suffer nose bleeds and one elderly man had to go to hospital.

Ali said only three diners have previously managed to finish the killer curry out of at least 100 who have tried the dish.

© 2011 Guardian News and Media Limited or its affiliated companies. All rights reserved.