• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Truly F-Up Sinkies Highly Educated yet CMI Cannot Secure Employment!

micromachine

Lieutenant General
Loyal
Why do Our NTU/NUS graduates end up driving Uber/Grab?

The government likes to proudly show off the rankings of our schools, in particular that of NUS and NTU. Of course, it serves to demonstrate everyone should aspire to secure degrees from these schools so as to ensure they get good jobs et cetera.

Recently, I attended a Private Hire Car Driver's Vocational Licence (PDVL) training; here's a shocking fact I discovered when my curious self went around surveying for a bit - many of the folks attending the classes were ex-PMETs from polytechnics, NTU and NUS! A lot of them previously were in computer science, electrical and civil engineering jobs before being replaced. I counted a handful of them in their 30s and while most were in their 40s. There were also some fresh graduates who could not land jobs yet and so resorted to driving to earn a living. Dear lord! You mean to say our graduates from these top schools in Asia couldn't find proper employment?! One of the common reasons supplied was that too many foreigners were plying the same trade as them and at considerably lower salaries. In other words, a huge quantity of electrical engineering jobs going instead to Indians FTs and civil engineering jobs snagged by Filipinos.

The clowns at the top echelons of our G are always boasting about the country attaining GDP growth, oh come on even the dumb would know GDP growth can be achieved by importing vast quantities of foreign labour. Ooooh yes that means millions of foreigners, and here's a fun fact: our population is supposed to only hit 7 million by 2030 yet we are already nearing the 6 million mark, mind you this is only 2018. The doors are thrown wide open to the rest of the world, in the process causing so many locals to become underemployed or unemployed. While the government constantly publishes reports about how awesome the Singapore education system is, they prefer to go around hiring cheap labour with dubious academic credentials from third world countries.

Many of our locals live in HDB dwellings and are thus saddled with enormous housing loans; without jobs to fund their debts and living expenses , they are left with little choice but to force themselves to become private hire car drivers. When autonomous vehicles finally arrive at the scene in a big way, what then next? Take an elevator to the tallest floor of Marina Bay Sands Hotel tower and contemplate "migrating" to the netherworld?

More at https://www.domainofexperts.com/2018/01/why-do-our-ntunus-graduates-end-up.html

jw5

Loyal
Absolutely agree and I am with you on this. :thumbsup:

Nobody has to work forever. As long as proper financial planning is put in place anyone earning a decent salary should be aiming to retire by the time they reach their early 40s.

They can then opt out of the rat race and rely on passive income streams to cover all their needs.

I'm not saying that working life needs to stop. However once financial independence is achieved there is no need to be beholden to any person or organisation. Work becomes are lot more enjoyable when you can choose to do what you have a passion for instead of having to hold on to a dead end job just to put food on the table.