• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Trolls in Emigration Folder - Discussion.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I thought I will address this in the Emigration Folder. Do refer to Forummer Ash007 post below. My reponse and invitation to discuss is in the next post. Please comment freely.

Ash007
Alfrescian Join Date: Aug 2009
My Reputation:Points: 10 / Power: 9

Re: Views on Tonychat - Spamming or Not

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scroobal bro,
Since we are at the topic of spams/Trolls/Forum abuse etc. I have to ask what is your view on handling the resident Troll in the emigration folder, aka Aussie Prick, Redbull, Shockshit. In a way, I think the regulars in the emigration folder are more "matured" and shows more restraints in spamming after these trolls, which doesn't exacerbate the problem as much versus the political or coffee shop folder. On the other hand, it does disrupt discussions and people contributing to the folder with them around. Any ideas on how this can be handled?

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Background

This folder has its roots in the previous SBF. Many of the forummers "migrated" from there. It has served many of us well. Even in those days, there was one particular person with a number of nicks that regularly posted or started a thread by copying negative incidents from the OZ press ranging from crime, tenancy issues, job issues to scare aware potential migrants. Some of the Vets will recall their nicks. In these cases, besides posting the copied news report usually once a week, this chap would not reply or follow thru when others reply to his post.

This chap was replaced by Shockshit and a number of other nicks and large scale flamebaiting began. Unfortunately we had our resident few superheroes who felt that they can handle these trolls with their grasp of "superior" language , guile and god knows what. Obviously had no clue or no idea what trolling, baiting and flamebait means. It destroyed the folder. I made 2 previous attempts to raise it. One by starting many posts to attract discussions and advices from those interested in the migrant space. The second by persuading 2 superheroes not to respond. Both attempts have failed.

There was even one case, when a superhero set up his own forum, banned Shockshit from his but came here to fight the trolls.

Since being given moderation rights, I was keeping an eye and an "excuse" to intervene. Unfortunately the thread on Seattle ended up by having one of our resident superheros baiting the trolls instead and they must have been surprised for once to be invited and they gladly responded and down goes another thread.

Guidelines
1) Do not respond to a troll no matter what the circumstances are including absolute boredom on your part.
2) Trolls live purely on replies. Its does not matter how suavve, smart or how much time you took to craft your reply, its the reply that thrills them.
3) Trolls take great pains to post an obviously erroneous fact knowing that a smart alec or a superhero will respond. One classic flamebait to catch a superhero is to state that there are no state provided health benefit in Australia and the superhero will fly in to furnish the details. Same comment will be made the following month by rearranging the words and the same superhero will reply. It never ends.
4) When progress is made by forum members by not responding to trolls, the trolls resort to the next phase where innocuous posts are made to begin the process of seeking a response. Never ever reply to a known troll not matter how innocuous the post or query is.

For Newbies
For those who are no familiar who the trolls are in this folder, please go ahead and comment without holding back. You will eventually know and can make the appropriate assessment. Don't get tripped by the guidelines and hold back genuine comments and queries.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi folks,
I would like to add the following with regards to the trolls in the emigration folder. Scroobal is right, don't respond to the troll if you can. Don't be a hero even if you think you have an upper hand in dealing with them. I take the approach that if they are talking nonsense, then talk nonsense back to them. There was one thread where I started talking to them in Hokkien, and that irritates the hell out of them. :biggrin: But be prepared to have a long protracted, nonsense war with them. They will continue to spam the same mindless information. Please also be aware that once you respond to them, the whole threads would be going to shits after that. I suppose its fine once in a while when the thread is just dying anyway. But do keep in mind some other threads in the emigration folder are useful.

I wonder if its possible to have some sort of rating system for the different threads that are happening in SBF? Zero star: all nonsense can be practised here, spammed/trolled personal abuse, same with responding to trolls etc. Five star: Strictly proper respond, no spams, no personal attacks, no repeated post for the same topic. If you don't have anything to say, don't post anything. I suppose 1-4 star would be levels of acceptable behaviour in between the two extreme. Think of it as attending a dinner party at the beach and to a formal function at the Ritz Carlton in full three piece suit difference. Different attire and different behaviour expectation for the different threads.

The only problem with this is the enforcement aspect. What constitute proper behaviour in what sort of threads. Who is going to be banned/judge on the behaviour. You would also have dissident that would feel like you are not practicing "free speech" etc.

I'm very curious what the other regulars think about this. Especially axe168, Neddy, Fishbuff, IWC .

Satan

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bro Scroobal,

Your advise is good but unfortunately, its only going to fall on deaf ears to some. I just don't understand why some good guys like neddy and axe go on debating and responding to these cockroaches and this as a result destroys threads and cloud out useful information. Back in the old sammyboy forum, I was able to get a lot of useful information about migrating. In fact some good guys like a few I could remember like Dan Mimosa, Joshuang, Hellboy, 88max, etc who use to give a lot of useful information about migration. I even remember a doctor Nar69sg who migrated to Canada and was prepared to share a lot of useful information. Even Axe in those days used to give a lot of useful tips and info. Many of these information were very useful. But all that is no more now. Now, it is just one pathetic loser cockroach posting rubbish under different nicks. I guess the good guys that I have mentiioned are fed up with the rubbish and don't want to waste their time. Its for this very reason that even I don't come to the immigration folder these days.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro Scroobal,

Your advise is good but unfortunately, its only going to fall on deaf ears to some. I just don't understand why some good guys like neddy and axe go on debating and responding to these cockroaches and this as a result destroys threads and cloud out useful information. Back in the old sammyboy forum, I was able to get a lot of useful information about migrating. In fact some good guys like a few I could remember like Dan Mimosa, Joshuang, Hellboy, 88max, etc who use to give a lot of useful information about migration. I even remember a doctor Nar69sg who migrated to Canada and was prepared to share a lot of useful information. Even Axe in those days used to give a lot of useful tips and info. Many of these information were very useful. But all that is no more now. Now, it is just one pathetic loser cockroach posting rubbish under different nicks. I guess the good guys that I have mentiioned are fed up with the rubbish and don't want to waste their time. Its for this very reason that even I don't come to the immigration folder these days.

Thanks for the positive feedback. FYI.. axe168 is not dead yet :smile: he's alive and kickin.. ! OK.. What tips do you want ? you are already an old bird.. gotto rely on your own initiatives for more lobangz :smile:

As for me life as usual, busy during office hours BUT free like f**k after 5pm :biggrin:

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Background

Guidelines
1) Do not respond to a troll no matter what the circumstances are including absolute boredom on your part..

Sorry cant do it.. otherwise, I will be staring at the ceiling fan again .. heehee.. But I'll try to minimize replies.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm very curious what the other regulars think about this. Especially axe168, Neddy, Fishbuff, IWC .

I escaped from an iron fist environment bcoz they do not offer you an opportunity to speak up.. they considered your views "negative" becoz you are not standing on the same side as them.. they called themselves Big Daddy, constantly watching you... They bring FEAR. they know what it best for you and they decide for you... your destiny is sealed from day one.. You dare not dream BIG coz Big Daddy says "NO".. There is no room for disagreement. Only compliance and obedience..

Do you wana be part of the above environment ?? Are you HAPPY ??

In Oz, I learn to listen.. with patience.. I learn to persuade & convince (despite the Unions are idiots !) There are rooms available for non-elites and there are rooms for disabled and weak.

I speak what I believe. During the process, some dont like me.. but many do.. Bottomline, am I HAPPY ? You bet I am.. :smile:

Satan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for the positive feedback. FYI.. axe168 is not dead yet :smile: he's alive and kickin.. ! OK.. What tips do you want ? you are already an old bird.. gotto rely on your own initiatives for more lobangz :smile:

As for me life as usual, busy during office hours BUT free like f**k after 5pm :biggrin:

Thanks mate. How's your chicken rice business going? Must be good I guess. Recession proof right so the business takes care of itself and you have time to relax.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Satan, I think you are right. Its falling on dear ears. Axe has already stated that he he is not going to stop but will minimise. Note sure if they realise that they are helping to thrash threads.

Ash, I don't think you realise in view of your short presence in this forum that the following nicks are all from the same person.
Shockshiok
Londoncabby
Aussie Prick
Redbull313
OU812
Imperialarse
Peiwah
Kiketerm

In May 09, Sam banned Shockshiok. It made little difference as he still comes in using these nicks. The only difference is that he has toned down a bit.

Looks like Neddy, Axe you and maybe a few others are not aware of it and are having the impression that you having a serious discussion. I used to watch Axe and Neddy having a full blown discussion with the same chap using multiple nicks and on the same thing US vs OZ quality of life. No one else bothers having endured Shockshiok for so long.

Try to avoid these nicks and I will think of something to revive this folder.

Bro Scroobal,

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Satan, I think you are right. Its falling on dear ears. Axe has already stated that he he is not going to stop but will minimise. Note sure if they realise that they are helping to thrash threads.

Ash, I don't think you realise in view of your short presence in this forum that the following nicks are all from the same person.
Shockshiok
Londoncabby
Aussie Prick
Redbull313
OU812
Imperialarse
Peiwah
Kiketerm

In May 09, Sam banned Shockshiok. It made little difference as he still comes in using these nicks. The only difference is that he has toned down a bit.

Looks like Neddy, Axe you and maybe a few others are not aware of it and are having the impression that you having a serious discussion. I used to watch Axe and Neddy having a full blown discussion with the same chap using multiple nicks and on the same thing US vs OZ quality of life. No one else bothers having endured Shockshiok for so long.

Try to avoid these nicks and I will think of something to revive this folder.

Thats interesting, I knew most of the nicks you mentioned are trolls but some of them are new to me. This thread already has an impact on how the troll behave. Notice that some of the clone names seem to be "switching sides", and "they" are talking a bit more sensibly now. As a rule, if they talk sensibly, I'll talk sensibly back. If not I would just rubbish back what they throw back as well. Banning is not the right solution, he has too many clones to be effective.

Hey, you think its a good idea to make this thread sticky in emigration folder? I think it would serve as a reference/guide for newbies that stumble around here from time to time.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Background
For Newbies
For those who are no familiar who the trolls are in this folder, please go ahead and comment without holding back. You will eventually know and can make the appropriate assessment. Don't get tripped by the guidelines and hold back genuine comments and queries.

Perhaps we should have a sticky thread on trolls.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks mate. How's your chicken rice business going? Must be good I guess. Recession proof right so the business takes care of itself and you have time to relax.

Thanks Satan.. Don't worry about the flies (trolls) around.. sometimes a few flies here and there completes a full picture..

On the bright side, you have someone to bash for the day :wink:

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Anyone noticed the trolls are changing tactics now?

For example in the thread "AUD grow big big" he keeps trying to post that investing in AUD is a good thing now even after repeated removal from Scroobal?
I've also noticed he is trying to engage and post stuff in the coffee shop folder. New tactics just to wait till we've forgotten about him? Or on the way to a fully reformed person that would contribute to the forum?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just let the autobot and him do the Tango.
Anyone noticed the trolls are changing tactics now?

For example in the thread "AUD grow big big" he keeps trying to post that investing in AUD is a good thing now even after repeated removal from Scroobal?
I've also noticed he is trying to engage and post stuff in the coffee shop folder. New tactics just to wait till we've forgotten about him? Or on the way to a fully reformed person that would contribute to the forum?

Aussie Pete

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well done Scroobal - you're the man!! I've not been visiting the forum much these days - completely because of this troll and his childish (and completely ignorant) ways... it seems that the negative exposure is working to some degree to tone him down a bit. Oh - and congrats on your 'promotion' to moderator!! :p

Cheers bro!

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Trolls by their very nature tend to be persistent. They can't help themselves.

Well done Scroobal - you're the man!! I've not been visiting the forum much these days - completely because of this troll and his childish (and completely ignorant) ways... it seems that the negative exposure is working to some degree to tone him down a bit. Oh - and congrats on your 'promotion' to moderator!! :p

Cheers bro!

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal

Cheers bro!

Mate, post some interesting articles in here to revive the folder. :biggrin: