• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Too 'singaporean' is not good for you

senatorabudelai

Alfrescian
Loyal
Please define cultivated accent? You mean Singlish English ? Pls don't confuse a diploma holder..

I remembered LHL once said "technical recession'.. knn, a t. recession is a recession.. or a "honest mistake" is a mistake.. no matter how you touch up or patch up.. a layman can identify the defects easily.

This one is quite simple to answer. Just listen to how any of Singapore's MP speak (except a handful). Go youtube them. Tharman speaks with a cultivated Singapore accent that approximates received pronounciation, somewhat.

Just a few examples off my mind of ppl who speak with a cultivated Singapore accent, Lee Kuan Yew, Vivian Balakrishan, Lee Hsien Loong, basically almost every Singapore MP, except a handful. Lee Kuan Yew used to have a very noticeable British accent when he was younger but he has lost this accent now. His accent is Singaporean now. Frankly it is very widespread in Singapore. The accent differences in Singapore is through social classes. This is different from Australia where they have accent differences in gender. Which is probably the only country in the world that has this phenomenon.

The cultivated Singaporean accent is rather similar to the high prestige British accents. The only difference is in their intonation. Youtube the thai prime minister abihsit as well. he is very special as he speaks received pronounciation but yet has a rather thick thai accent.

Singlish is broken English. it is not standard English. it came about because the education standards in the 50s-70s were very low and people were resisting speaking english properly. and many of these people are still resisting speaking english properly today. :biggrin:

Last edited:

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
This one is quite simple to answer. Just listen to how any of Singapore's MP speak (except a handful). Go youtube them. Tharman speaks with a cultivated Singapore accent that approximates received pronounciation, somewhat.
:biggrin:

You have reminded me The honourable Lim Swee Say, Khaw BW.. ? Wahahaha..
I prefer Phua Chu Kang :biggrin:

IWC2006

Alfrescian
Loyal
Poor is the old man, whose country's reputation depends on it's igorant countryman boasting of one another.

QXD

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Give the stinkie retard some time to let it sink in, he might wake up next week and feel insulted.

Poor is the old man, whose country's reputation depends on it's igorant countryman boasting of one another. Wahahaha.

IWC2006

Alfrescian
Loyal
The cultivated Singaporean accent sounds much clearer than any accent except for GA or RP and a few others. Definitely much better than the Australian one. You won't know this because you are obviously a heavy Singlish speaker struggling with proper English. You even type in Singlish, see above.

Wahaha from your weak argument it sounds like you are a 12 years old kid. My point is, why Singapore is not recognised as a English-speak country if its English is really 'so good'? Better than Australian one......I dedicate this one to you http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2232301379 'Singapore sucks..hahaha

Ha ha yes keep trying harder.

I didn't need to try, I already won.haha

Ha ha yes, tell me about it. And according to you, Hong Kongers who are educated abroad speak perfect English' and "Westerners" understand his speech better than someone like Lee Kuan Yew or Tharman. ha ha

Isn't it there's only one Lee Kuan Yew in this world? hahaha.

Ha ha yes, now tell me about the 95% who are not educated abroad in
seconday schools.

Its more then the entire population in Singapore...wahahaha. Eg. 8% of population in Australia are Asians, 5% of the 330+ mil in USA are Asians, plus those from Canada, Europe, NZ...hahaha you really don't know how big the world is out there ar little kid??/wahahaha.

Go to Shanghai or Beijing, you can see how smiliar their buildings and architecture so similiar to Tokyo or Osaka.

The achiterctural style of Japan was imported from China, and not the other way around. The same applies to their language, which is why they have a lot of Chinese words in it. Perhaps a history lesson is in order for you son?

We are talking about the high rise modern commercial building here litte kid, not shrine or ancient palace..wahaha

And the jokes keep getting funnier. And the thing with accents is, the thinner ones are better. not the thicker ones. You are going the wrong way son

Thin or Thick, the most commonly accepted English accents are British English, American English, Australian English, NZ English, Canadian English, since when got Singapore huh? wahahaha.

Unfortunately you will be very disappointed I'm at Management level, and I really don't mind to be a blue collar here in Australia because they earn much more then white collar workers in Spore..wahaha.... I can sense the insecurity with yourself, having nowhere else to go in this world; stucked in the cramped and lifeless country, competing with 3rd world people, living in pigeon hole overpriced flats, unbearable humid weather and human traffic; and your whole life are being watched and controlled by the old Fart. You only have yourself to blame. Sorry I can't help you wahahaha.

In fact, after reading a few of your posts and how warped and illogical your arguments are, I am beginning to suspect you are suffering from some mental illnesses. Maybe bipolar or schizophrenia.[/I][/QUOTE]

Poor is the man, whose intellectual ability to think depends on the permission of the old fart. This is dedicated to you..wahahah

maozedong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sorry to burst your bubble. Singapore education is good only up to GCE A levels. For university education, you are really better off going to a reputable university (not necessarily Ivy League) in USA, UK or Canada (AU degrees are too commercial nowadays). This is especially so if you are doing technology courses. In spite of all the talk about USA going downhill and China rising, USA still leads the world in technology and will continue to lead in the next couple of decades.

I've to agree with you that our basic education is quite solid. Anybody who can do well in the Singapore school system will probably be able to do very well in any university they can get admitted in the West.

Because of s'pore's lack of size and an industrial base, the engineering degrees from our universities cannot match those from the West in terms of recognition. My friend who studied engineering in a very ordinary university in UK - and guess what - his final year project was part of a NASA project! And in the USA, there are funding for research not just from the government but from corporations like Intel, Microsoft, Glaxo, etc.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but if you have a full education in Singapore (ie from Primary to Uni all in Sg schools), you are already MUCH MUCH more attractive to Western English speaking employers worlwide as compared to Hong Kong and Japan. Why? Because you can write in fluent English, they can't. You can produce your Cambridge O,A levels ceritificate, showing you have been examined to Cambridge standards in all subjects in English.

As it stands right now, Singapore's education is ranked numer 1 in terms of Math and Science, much better than America or any other English speaking country. There are tons of Europeans/Americans etc in Singapore right now working for rather little salary because they want the Singapore working experience on their resume!

Last edited:

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
I've to agree with you that our basic education is quite solid. Anybody who can do well in the Singapore school system will probably be able to do very well in any university they can get admitted in the West.

Yes I agree. I had my basic education (pri to poly) in SG, finally graduated with 2nd upper hon in ulu Uni in Australia. I am now a happy and successful migrantE2WAEAGBVFC GFTRW2F44

IWC2006

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sorry to burst your bubble. Singapore education is good only up to GCE A levels. For university education, you are really better off going to a reputable university (not necessarily Ivy League) in USA, UK or Canada (AU degrees are too commercial nowadays). This is especially so if you are doing technology courses. In spite of all the talk about USA going downhill and China rising, USA still leads the world in technology and will continue to lead in the next couple of decades.

Because of s'pore's lack of size and an industrial base, the engineering degrees from our universities cannot match those from the West in terms of recognition. My friend who studied engineering in a very ordinary university in UK - and guess what - his final year project was part of a NASA project! And in the USA, there are funding for research not just from the government but from corporations like Intel, Microsoft, Glaxo, etc.

Na, the problem with Singapore education system is it's lack of variety and streaming system, too much emphasis on maths And exams but not nurturing the young one of developing soft skills. Apart from a handful of jobs require hardcore numerical skills, most of us spend a lot time interacting and communicating with people, drafting sensible and crafty emails to stay in the game of the corporate world. Look at the Asians who are educated in the west from very young ( not those direct entry to high school and uni from oversea), they are confident, articulate and communicate well).

There are good and average unis everywhere, but good language skills have to start from young, it's too late to depend on unis.

Charlie9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Cultivated Singapore Accent that Approximates Received Pronounciation

Just a few examples off my mind of ppl who speak with a cultivated Singapore accent, Lee Kuan Yew, Vivian Balakrishan, Lee Hsien Loong, basically almost every Singapore MP, except a handful. Lee Kuan Yew used to have a very noticeable British accent when he was younger but he has lost this accent now. His accent is Singaporean now. Frankly it is very widespread in Singapore. The accent differences in Singapore is through social classes. This is different from Australia where they have accent differences in gender. Which is probably the only country in the world that has this phenomenon.

The cultivated Singaporean accent is rather similar to the high prestige British accents. The only difference is in their intonation. Youtube the thai prime minister abihsit as well. he is very special as he speaks received pronounciation but yet has a rather thick thai accent.

Singlish is broken English. it is not standard English. it came about because the education standards in the 50s-70s were very low and people were resisting speaking english properly. and many of these people are still resisting speaking english properly today. :biggrin:

Please explain to me, what is "cultivated Singapore accent", and "received pronounciation."

IWC2006

Alfrescian
Loyal

Please explain to me, what is "cultivated Singapore accent", and "received pronounciation."

he is plain stupid, 99% of Singaporeans don't speak the way politicans speak. who the fuc$ wants to emulate their style of speaking anyway. The teachers and lecturers in All local schools and institutions speak what the typical Singaporean would speak anyway.

senatorabudelai

Alfrescian
Loyal

he is plain stupid, 99% of Singaporeans don't speak the way politicans speak. who the fuc$ wants to emulate their style of speaking anyway. The teachers and lecturers in All local schools and institutions speak what the typical Singaporean would speak anyway.

Ha ha you are really delusional. I think it is confirmed that you are schizophrenic.

First you say Singapore is not regarded as an English speaking country but everyone in the world regards Singapore as a country where English is the main language. Whether Singaporeans like the Carribeans are native English speakers or not, that is another debate.

Then you talk about being watched 24hours. Another sign of your schizhophrenia. Spy satellites zooming on you, aliens using binoculars to look into your house ...

And you go on to walk about how modern high rises are the same in China and Japan. When they are basically the same everywhere in the world

Now you go on to talk about how no Singaporean speaks like the politicians when almost everyone I know speak that way. Nothing fancy but just a home grown local Singaporean accent.

Then you go on to walk about how good Western countries are, just like a teenage dreamer who watched too much beverly hills.

I am sure you are now lonely in boring expensive Australia. No friends, only a few acquaintances. Colleagues don't like you, people are generally hostile towards you. You roam the streets mumbling to yourself speaking with your imaginary friends :o

QXD

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

It's only when one is in a losing position, do they have to try so hard to use all manner of smoke and mirrors, lies and deceit to back up their false statements, i.e- senatorwasisname

AndroAsc

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is from personal experience on the recognition of Singaporean uni graduates as English speakers. Btw, I am a graduate from a crappy local university. When I applied to study in USA out of 10 schools:
1) 3 schools accepted Singapore uni as English speaking
2) 3 schools requested proof that Singapore uni is English speaking
3) 4 schools required me to take TOEFL (it's the US version of IELTS) even after explaining to them that Singapore uni is English speaking

Conclusion?

Only a third of Americans recognize Singaporeans are English speaking. Two third of Americans don't know we are English speaking. One third of Americans even after telling them that you have been educated in English since Day 1, still need you to take English tests.

Oh yes, one school admissions officer also thought Singapore = China.

As much as MOE and PAP like to claim this country is English speaking, as far as the rest of the western developed nations are concerned, majority don't recognize us as such.

Plus, with all the China people flooding in... I honestly cannot tell my overseas friends that Singapore is an English speaking nation anymore. This country has become another bloody province of China!