• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Too 'singaporean' is not good for you

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is from personal experience on the recognition of Singaporean uni graduates as English speakers. Btw, I am a graduate from a crappy local university. When I applied to study in USA out of 10 schools:
1) 3 schools accepted Singapore uni as English speaking
2) 3 schools requested proof that Singapore uni is English speaking
3) 4 schools required me to take TOEFL (it's the US version of IELTS) even after explaining to them that Singapore uni is English speaking

Conclusion?

Only a third of Americans recognize Singaporeans are English speaking. Two third of Americans don't know we are English speaking. One third of Americans even after telling them that you have been educated in English since Day 1, still need you to take English tests.

Oh yes, one school admissions officer also thought Singapore = China.

As much as MOE and PAP like to claim this country is English speaking, as far as the rest of the western developed nations are concerned, majority don't recognize us as such.

Plus, with all the China people flooding in... I honestly cannot tell my overseas friends that Singapore is an English speaking nation anymore. This country has become another bloody province of China!

Indeed, I told my china mei mei Singapore speaks 新加坡语。Neither English nor chinese, but a mix of both.

senatorabudelai

Alfrescian
Loyal
most of these people are very ignorant. you said it yourself they think singapore = china. they live in their own little world. those that do know of singapore mostly think you get jailed for chewing gum or littering or homosexuality etc. it is just media propaganda over there. they have no idea how the real world outside their shores is.

i have talked to unis in UK, Ireland, Phillipines, Hong Kong, India, and all do not require any English test. most australian unis don't require english test for singaporeans as well, only a handful do.

AndromedaAsc

Alfrescian
Loyal
most of these people are very ignorant. you said it yourself they think singapore = china. they live in their own little world. those that do know of singapore mostly think you get jailed for chewing gum or littering or homosexuality etc. it is just media propaganda over there. they have no idea how the real world outside their shores is.

i have talked to unis in UK, Ireland, Phillipines, Hong Kong, India, and all do not require any English test. most australian unis don't require english test for singaporeans as well, only a handful do.

That is one way of interpreting it. It is equally possible that Singapore is simply not prominent enough in the international community as an English speaking country.

IWC2006

Alfrescian
Loyal
That is one way of interpreting it. It is equally possible that Singapore is simply not prominent enough in the international community as an English speaking country.

Singaporeans are notoriously known as Singlish speakers rather than English. Even our ministers have gone abroad ( UK, US, Aus) for their undergrad/graduate education. This is an indication the local varsity is not good enough, let alone the use of English language.:biggrin:

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
singaporeans are notoriously known as singlish speakers rather than english. Even our ministers have gone abroad ( uk, us, aus) for their undergrad/graduate education. This is an indication the local varsity is not good enough, let alone the use of english language.:d

新加坡语万岁!然我们吧新加坡语给全世界的人看新加坡人有多力害。

johnsgp1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, but please stay in your little shithole Singapore and never find out your true potential because you are afraid to leave SG.

Tell me where to go? Aust? This country got fuck by China last year but no one dares to make a noise...haha....all that Aust has are all from the mighty wealth from stinky china....then where to go? Europe? this zone is one big melting mess...To US? this country does not do any better also...

Pathetic how typical Stinkies like you have the "Ang Moh lumbar one" complex. Having to constantly sing the praises of English and forgetting your roots only shows how stinkies have been brainwashed by the their frog-in-the-well complex through years of being fed propaganda.

every country is the same...u got americans genna screw and fuck by their govt, just because some banks are too big to fail?

The world is becoming bilingual, hordes of people of learning to speak Chinese to deal with China, only pathetic stinkies like you still hold on to colonial ideals that English is one and only.

what is the % of chinese in china that are able to speak english? just look at the income gap....china is still a sick place to talk about...u got officials taking bribes, raping girls, and u hve the famous Yao Ming leaving in USA for good.

It's people like you that have been left behind in Singapore that will be doomed to lead a monolingual life to extinction.

And the sooner it happens to losers like you, the better for Singapore

People like me that prefers to stay in Singapore is much better than people living in agongy in europe or USA.

johnsgp1

Alfrescian
Loyal
You have reminded me The honourable Lim Swee Say, Khaw BW.. ? Wahahaha..
I prefer Phua Chu Kang :biggrin:

well, at least they did not commit anything wrong or unjust to the society...
Ur PM can speak both good english and chinese, he also got fuck by china...did he talked his way out ???hahaha

senatorabudelai

Alfrescian
Loyal
many singaporeans dont speak singlish.

but i would take a heavy singlish speaker over the australian accent anyday lol. it is just hilarious. someone here once said the australian accent is like chewing on vegetables while trying to speak, all the wrong sounds come out.

i think he is quite right ha ha.

johnsgp1

Alfrescian
Loyal
many singaporeans dont speak singlish.

but i would take a heavy singlish speaker over the australian accent anyday lol. it is just hilarious. someone here once said the australian accent is like chewing on vegetables while trying to speak, all the wrong sounds come out.

i think he is quite right ha ha.

my brother-in-law is a austrialian, it's a torture to my ear trying to listen to wat he has to tell me...he speaks too soft with a very heavy accent..so wat is wrong speaking in singlish..as long as we can communicate clearly and they can understand, it's ok...the most we just laugh over it....

lianbeng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
- Singapore though is a developed nation but still is perceived as a Asian city. In the eye of employers the Singaporean experience is still below Hongkong and Japan which have a larger and complex market size.

-If u are just armed with Singapore education system from high school to university, it's not as well received as those who have gone though a western, abroad education system

- Similiarily, if you have only 'Singaporean' work experience, this may hurt your career advancement because Singapore is perceived as a tiny market and workplace culture is still very much Asian even though English is widely used.

- Your Thick Singaporean accent could also give people impression you can't speak the language well thus has also drag down the perception of your Comm and interpersonal skills.

All in all, u should have attained an oversea education or work experience in your life.

u must be a foreigner.
im a true blue born in singapore singaporean holding pink IC n served National Service.
so? u not happy iszit? so wat?:mad:

chewed

Alfrescian
Loyal
u must be a foreigner.
im a true blue born in singapore singaporean holding pink IC n served National Service.

this is the Emigration forum, meaning most here are leaving SG or have left. Most of the forummers here also serve NS and hold pink IC + have contributed to the SG society previously.

You not happy is it?

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
well, at least they did not commit anything wrong or unjust to the society...
Ur PM can speak both good english and chinese, he also got fuck by china...did he talked his way out ???hahaha

Our PM, MPs, Mayors and Counsellors are extremely media savvy.. They have what it takes to persuade, convince and lead... They do not obtain votes by sitting in the office. They are people's leader and they speak for the ppl.

Australians need a hot-dipped galvanised politician who can withstand the inclement weather.. not a powdered coated surface that appears whiter-than-white but paint peeled & corroded over time..

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
my brother-in-law is a austrialian, it's a torture to my ear trying to listen to wat he has to tell me...he speaks too soft with a very heavy accent..so wat is wrong speaking in singlish..as long as we can communicate clearly and they can understand, it's ok...the most we just laugh over it....

Your own ppl laughed at your own language, so how can you feel great ? Ask LKY why he banned Singlish ? Pls do not go against your leader..

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
u must be a foreigner.

Lim pei kali kong... lim pei also served NS, big deal ? but i have yet to collect my million dollar salary, big loser?

Wanna fight ? Cum lah.. 12 midnight at Federation Square, got balls bo? You can catch a tram, if you dont have a car in Melbourne. haha

johnsgp1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Your own ppl laughed at your own language, so how can you feel great ? Ask LKY why he banned Singlish ? Pls do not go against your leader..

we joked about our own language, so what? When George Bush was the president, ppl was also laughing at his slang..did he banned Singlish?? i think u have it all wrong, please do not use your own pathetic interpretation to magnify a small issue.....he only do not want singlish to be on the english channels, if he do ban singlish, our police will be very busy....

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Lim pei kali kong... lim pei also served NS, big deal ? but i have yet to collect my million dollar salary, big loser?

Wanna fight ? Cum lah.. 12 midnight at Federation Square, got balls bo? You can catch a tram, if you dont have a car in Melbourne. haha

Pia jui! I haven't seen people pia jiu in a while liao ah. Got hot tea on table or not ? Mai ka bo chee eh lang kong wei lah. Bo yong eh. Wu chee kong, bo chee jor. Oei, ti si lai Sydney lim kopi ah ? Wah jit jun tang Citizen ceremony tang ah jin xian leh. Kao PRC mei mei mah jin xina jit chun.

Real Singaporean speaks hokkien/teochew/hakka. ekekekek only in Australia did I learn to do all that.

johnsgp1

Alfrescian
Loyal

wa...what language are u writing with?? 'What is got balls bo?' Austrialian teach u that?? seems like you did not pick up any good english also....hahah....
hey, if u want to fight. fight those whites that beat up those indians...haha

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
wa...what language are u writing with?? 'What is got balls bo?' Austrialian teach u that?? seems like you did not pick up any good english also....hahah....
hey, if u want to fight. fight those whites that beat up those indians...haha

Chee bai kia, jit si hokkien li eh hiao bo? Kong ka ki si singapore lang, buei hiao hokkien. PUI!

你妈的屄说自己是新加坡人不会福建话。别再这乱放屁了。你还是会去老家肏你妈去吧。

Pathetic, can't even understand a common language that is used in Singapore. You call yourself a Singaporean?