• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

To all Potential Migrants, What do you think of this?

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
I happen to value a contrarian view on this topic. It is plainly evident the current status of Australia as a haven for the retiring Singaporean has shifted. I find from colleagues and other reliable sources that the best opportunities Australia once offered have long since expired. Today the demographic wishing to move to Australia is a younger, more energetic working class mindset than the typical Singaporean with assets wishing to enjoy life. Perhaps the OP can present such happenstance in a more mature manner however its a moot point.

Australia is not for everyone anymore.

Australia is for every residents.. to share the pie.. of course when ya from far away countries, you can only watch us enjoying the wealth undergrd. Do not envy us.. we're juz like the Middle East.. we're bless with natural resources !!!

redbull313

Alfrescian
Loyal
I happen to value a contrarian view on this topic. It is plainly evident the current status of Australia as a haven for the retiring Singaporean has shifted. I find from colleagues and other reliable sources that the best opportunities Australia once offered have long since expired. Today the demographic wishing to move to Australia is a younger, more energetic working class mindset than the typical Singaporean with assets wishing to enjoy life. Perhaps the OP can present such happenstance in a more mature manner however its a moot point.

Its not for everyone and its a ripp-off now. When I used to live there it was'nt a ripp-off but it is super expensive, overpriced, and overtaxed with stress and pollution now. You could not pay me to live there now no way anyhow not with my awesome life here with two houses carefree life etc.

Ou812

Alfrescian
Loyal

thanks you for those word of wisdom

AhSo1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Its not for everyone and its a ripp-off now. When I used to live there it was'nt a ripp-off but it is super expensive, overpriced, and overtaxed with stress and pollution now. You could not pay me to live there now no way anyhow not with my awesome life here with two houses carefree life etc.

The world has changed as has Australia. The Singapore government is no longer concerned with Singaporeans "quitting" to Australia any longer for many of the reasons mentioned on this forum.

One would hope the annoying ex-Singaporeans on this forum who are yonder would find another forum to exchange thier infantile banter while those wishing to actually migrate and get something out of the process can seek valuable information. This is an emigration section not a "I have left and miss Singapore so much I have nothing better to do than come here and sprout nonsense about my sad, meaningless life in Australia section"

Quid pro quo.

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
The world has changed as has Australia. The Singapore government is no longer concerned with Singaporeans "quitting" to Australia any longer for many of the reasons mentioned on this forum.

What makes you feel that you are authorised to speak on behalf of the Singapore government?

They confide in you?

One would hope the annoying ex-Singaporeans on this forum who are yonder would find another forum to exchange thier infantile banter while those wishing to actually migrate and get something out of the process can seek valuable information. This is an emigration section not a "I have left and miss Singapore so much I have nothing better to do than come here and sprout nonsense about my sad, meaningless life in Australia section"

Seems to me that the new Australians, formerly singaporeans, are pretty comfortable abroad and lead quite meaningful lives in Australia.

Rather it is a small group of Singaporeans that keep on telling us how bad life is in Australia.

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Since this is the emigration folder, why not those who feel that emigration is not for them just foff back to Singapore and let those who truly want to migrate explore their options with those willing to help them?

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Since this is the emigration folder, why not those who feel that emigration is not for them just foff back to Singapore and let those who truly want to migrate explore their options with those willing to help them?

I am here to provide some information for my ex-countrymen and women who wish to migrate. I do not spoon-feed, but my postings come from personal experiences or experiences of others whom I observed.

Why?
Because I envy the other migrants like South Africans, Poms, Japs, Koreans etc who are getting support from their own communities. But I never have that level of support from the Singaporean community.

But when it comes to Singaporeans, they seems to want to outdo each other to make their fellow Singaporeans miserable. In universities, I heard of Singapore students sabo their mates so they cannot get first-class honours.

Here, the same type of people are present again trying to entrap others into the cesspit. Sometimes, I wonder - what is the point? what are these Singaporeans trying to achieve? I am beyond annoyance at these losers whom I pity as the lost and the defeated.

There are many ex-Singaporeans who have moved on in their new lives. They tried not to associate themselves with loser Singaporeans. Unfortunately, some of these people do turn up in their houses and make sacastic remarks about not "sharing" the secret of successful migrating.

My relatives/friends also turn up at my "mansion" and I have to pick them up from the airport. Then in my house, they cut my garden fruit and vegetables to bring back Singapore. They even waste my precious asian ingredients to do their cooking without considering that I am not in Singapore and these supplies are more expensive and sometime harder to get.

There is no magic to successful migration. There are some hardwork and pain involved. Mistakes were made along the way. Singaporeans who migrate would have experienced that loss of familiarity and culture. Therefore, the fact that we made it in our adopted countries is not "easy feat. Somehow, the process of adopting to our new countries make us more confident people than what we would have been if we remain stuck in Singapore.

Last edited:

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal
What makes you feel that you are authorised to speak on behalf of the Singapore government?

They confide in you?

Oh come on its just common sense - in 2000 when Goh asked SGs not to quit is was because Australia house and cost of living was much lower than Singapore and 500% lower than today. In those days you could buy a decent house there for 200K now the same house 2009 is 800K, and that is over 1 Million SGD. Food, Car price, very high there. You want to have something serviced over there such as your car or have electrician come to your house, be prepared to pay 200 AUD per hour.

The SG govt dont care about losing its citizen to Australia for 2 reasons 1) they are importing citizens now more than losing thier own SGs and 2) Australia cannot offer you those good reasons to go there as it did in 2000.

Seems to me that the new Australians, formerly singaporeans, are pretty comfortable abroad and lead quite meaningful lives in Australia.

Rather it is a small group of Singaporeans that keep on telling us how bad life is in Australia.

Well my own family in Perth there for 20 years are returning to SG after selling their house there. Once uncle make a fortune after selling one house and converting into our S$. Those other SGs over there are all people who went there b4 the property and cost of living increase in Australia after 2005-2006. To to see if they can survive there under 2009 price.

fishbuff

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am here to provide some information for my ex-countrymen and women who wish to migrate. I do not spoon-feed, but my postings come from personal experiences or experiences of others whom I observed.

Why?
Because I envy the other migrants like South Africans, Poms, Japs, Koreans etc who are getting support from their own communities. But I never have that level of support from the Singaporean community.

But when it comes to Singaporeans, they seems to want to outdo each other to make their fellow Singaporeans miserable. In universities, I heard of Singapore students sabo their mates so they cannot get first-class honours.

Here, the same type of people are present again trying to entrap others into the cesspit. Sometimes, I wonder - what is the point? what are these Singaporeans trying to achieve? I am beyond annoyance at these losers whom I pity as the lost and the defeated.

There are many ex-Singaporeans who have moved on in their new lives. They tried not to associate themselves with loser Singaporeans. Unfortunately, some of these people do turn up in their houses and make sacastic remarks about not "sharing" the secret of successful migrating.

My relatives/friends also turn up at my "mansion" and I have to pick them up from the airport. Then in my house, they cut my garden fruit and vegetables to bring back Singapore. They even waste my precious asian ingredients to do their cooking without considering that I am not in Singapore and these supplies are more expensive and sometime harder to get.

There is no magic to successful migration. There are some hardwork and pain involved. Mistakes were made along the way. Singaporeans who migrate would have experienced that loss of familiarity and culture. Therefore, the fact that we made it in our adopted countries is not "easy feat. Somehow, the process of adopting to our new countries make us more confident people than what we would have been if we remain stuck in Singapore.

and some will give u the WRONG information that will cause u more harms and losses! we have to be vigilant and do our homework thoroughly instead of depending on hearsay.

indeed, im jealous of my african neighbour who migrated here with his family of 5 and had alot of support from his communities here. that goes the same for my hongkongers's friends as well.

fishbuff

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well my own family in Perth there for 20 years are returning to SG after selling their house there. Once uncle make a fortune after selling one house and converting into our S$. Those other SGs over there are all people who went there b4 the property and cost of living increase in Australia after 2005-2006. To to see if they can survive there under 2009 price.

ah, aka shockshit, our sg prudential insurance agent.

a quick question, can i still get an insurance coverage for death and major illnesses when i have migrated overseas? will the insurance cover the medical expenses here or is it just for local market?

with the high exchange rate of AUD to SGD, you might want to consider repackaging your insurance schemes and sell to potential migrants who might want extra coverage on travel, medical, death and perhaps investment plans.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

If your family has been here since the 80s, you would have know how difficult it was to look for jobs then. Your family will find that white goods are quite expensive and a number of people rent TV, etc :eek:

On top of that, Perth do not have the varieties of asian foods you see today. In fact, there is only 1 type of egg noodles, take it or leave it. :wink:

I am surprised that they did not move back Singapore during the Keating years when Aus came close to the banana republic or in the early 90s when the interest rates can beat the Singapore loansharks!

Can understand why you feel ripped off. There is no PAP nanny here to smooth things out for you.

This is one point which migrants from uniquely Singapore has to realise before trying to move to Australia (and Canada, USA, UK .... Norway. Iceland). You have to learn to be independent and have some smarts.

Otherwise, stay in tiny crowded Singapore and hope for cheap things, cheap HDB flats, etc.

IT IS YOUR CHOICE.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is one point which migrants from uniquely Singapore has to realise before trying to move to Australia (and Canada, USA, UK .... Norway. Iceland). You have to learn to be independent and have some smarts.

Otherwise, stay in tiny crowded Singapore and hope for cheap things, cheap HDB flats, etc.

IT IS YOUR CHOICE.

Cheap HDB? you must be joking right? Heard its going for $700K nowadays for a "five room" 1.

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal
ah, aka shockshit, our sg prudential insurance agent.

a quick question, can i still get an insurance coverage for death and major illnesses when i have migrated overseas? will the insurance cover the medical expenses here or is it just for local market?

with the high exchange rate of AUD to SGD, you might want to consider repackaging your insurance schemes and sell to potential migrants who might want extra coverage on travel, medical, death and perhaps investment plans.

you got the wrong industry Scrobal. Try harder. And by the way, Australia sucks.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
indeed, im jealous of my african neighbour who migrated here with his family of 5 and had alot of support from his communities here. that goes the same for my hongkongers's friends as well.

It does show how small Singapore is, I really have no idea who are the Singaporean and have not known/meet any Singaporean personally here, except in this forum, since I arrive back. Other communities, like the PRCs, Koreans, Hongkongers seem to have their own network of friends, relative here with the support you mentioned. In a way, this forces me to learn about other cultures more then if I were in Singapore. Maybe thats not such a bad thing after all.

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal
It does show how small Singapore is, I really have no idea who are the Singaporean and have not known/meet any Singaporean personally here, except in this forum, since I arrive back. Other communities, like the PRCs, Koreans, Hongkongers seem to have their own network of friends, relative here with the support you mentioned. In a way, this forces me to learn about other cultures more then if I were in Singapore. Maybe thats not such a bad thing after all.

And you can stop talking to yourself too neddy. just get a life.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
And you can stop talking to yourself too neddy. just get a life.

You just need attention and run away from your responsibilities right. Do I need to resort to other nicks?

Anyway, I will be off work in another 40 mins and go for my Carona with lemon.

redbull313

Alfrescian
Loyal

God i remember when i lived in perth in 2000 housing was not an issue as it was affordable and it seemed more laid back and a cool place to hang out if you had some money you had had it made in perth then. No one cared about money that much people seemed happier too.

Now go there and it like I have landed in London and everything is a freaking ripp-off and gone is the Australian laid back style and charisma of Australia. its now just another rat race life there. No thank you.

Who wants to live that life? Not me. I am so glad I left cause now here in America its alot like Australia in 2000. A golden place for those wishing for a better life like Australia 2000. Now Australia is like going to London.