• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

this is the candidate i'm looking for...

DannyBoyBoy

Alfrescian
Loyal
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UnxL3Qdx0Hc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Talking Donkey

Alfrescian (S)
Not bad..remind me of tang liang hong..lets wait and see what else has he got in his bag for us to marvel at..

Any oppo party need a umbrella boy during their election campaign,i won't mind being one:biggrin:

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Any oppo party need a umbrella boy during their election campaign,i won't mind being one:biggrin:

sack the fat boy and get a sweetheart to carry umbrella better.

ECSTA-001.jpg

wizard

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks to internet and sammyboy. Or such video or speech will never see light in Spore TV or strait time..

Good Job..

Varuna

Alfrescian
Loyal
sack the fat boy and get a sweetheart to carry umbrella better.

ECSTA-001.jpg

Brudder, with this gal holding the umbrella, I have a feeling Alec will stammer whenever he tries to utter a word. Then again, can tell he can speak and stir emotions. But I think he should exercise more caution in some parts of his speech although can still can retain the passion and power. :smile:

annexa

Alfrescian
Loyal
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UnxL3Qdx0Hc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Fucker make my eyes tear after reason number 2. CCB I stop the video after that.

coolguy

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is a blessing for RP to have him as a candidate.
And a bigger blessing for sgreans to have him as an opposition voice.:smile:

jw5

Loyal
Wasn't he also at the Chinese forum?
He speaks both languages pretty well.

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
He's referring to this photo taken on the night of 30th April 2006. It was electrifying, I was there. And it was held at a large field in Hougang. Cars were parked everywhere, the crowd was amazing. No PAP rally could've attracted so many, who so willingly attended.

pic-581b.jpg

moolightaffairs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
He's referring to this photo taken on the night of 30th April 2006. It was electrifying, I was there. And it was held at a large field in Hougang. Cars were parked everywhere, the crowd was amazing. No PAP rally could've attracted so many, who so willingly attended.

pic-581b.jpg

on that faithful night, i thought there wont be any election! i thought the crowd will just overthrow pap on that night!!! the raw passion for change was very strong!!!

DannyBoyBoy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Alec Tok: A shining light for Singapore?

What makes Tok tick? The filmmaker and now Reform politician reveals how he would like to see Singapore change
By Elaine Ee-Meyers 30 August, 2010

Based in New York and Shanghai -- and now extending his reach to Singapore -- 45-year-old director and filmmaker Alec Tok surprised everyone when he was announced as a candidate for the opposition’s Reform Party earlier this year. Essentially his first foray into politics, Tok was inspired by by the Reform Party's ambition to go beyond just being the opposition. Here, he discusses how politics impacts his artistic work and the difference between a home and a country.
CNNGo: What brought you to politics and why?
Alec Tok: I joined the Reform Party at the end of 2009. I’ve always been interested in Singapore politics -- it’s such an extreme situation that you have to deal with it, relate to it -- and the way I’m relating to it right now is to partake in the changing of it, as simple as that. I was really happy when the late J.B. Jeyaretnam decided to make a last bid for parliament because it cemented the need to have someone who could pursue the constitutional struggle in Singapore. Then when he passed away he left a vacuum and that was a big worry for me because it set us back quite a few years. But the vacuum is being filled, rightfully, by his heir, Kenneth [Jeyaretnam]. And I thought, you know what, if you want me, I’m prepared to stand with you.

CNNGo: Is it difficult to be a Singapore politician when you spend so much time in New York and Shanghai?
Tok: Living and working in Shanghai and New York is a boon for me. My livelihood is very neatly disconnected to my political views and the venting of them in Singapore’s political arena. Right now I have a license to practice anywhere I choose. I think it’s working to my advantage or at least to my comfort. Any opposition politician in Singapore is a fairly new one. We all have to go through a learning curve, and that’s what I’m going through at the moment. I think 20 years ago without the Internet it was harder, but these days, with Facebook and everything else you can feel the pulse much more easily. And I come back every two months or so to meet with residents and just talk to real people -- the people you say you want to represent -- rather than theorists or academicians or bloggers. I like the young people involved, very decent ordinary folk, quite focused, not freedom fighting, just articulating what can be done better in a very sensible way.
CNNGo: What do you think Singaporeans want?
Tok: By and large Singaporeans just want real involvement. I think people want more participation. More people are coming forward and realizing that the only way for change to happen is to precipitate the change rather than wait for it to be handed to you, because it won’t be.
CNNGo: Are you going to cut back on your artistic work to make time for politics?
Tok: Full steam ahead, all fronts. The play that I’m doing in Shanghai this year is called "The Silly Little Girl and the Funny Old Tree." It’s a play written by one of Singapore’s foremost dramatists Kuo Pao Kun. In fact it’s a play I watched in 1987 and was one of the few plays that made me want to belong to the theater all those years ago. I would rather tour it to the rest of China first before coming back here. The pertinent question here is though -- will I be given the licence to perform? In a sense, that answer is not in my hands.

CNNGo: Have you had your work rejected by Singapore authorities before?
Tok: I wrote a script about Singapore’s political situation in the 1970s, when a lot of journalists and liberal leaning leftists got arrested under the internal security act. It was rejected by the Singapore Film Commission for funding because they thought it was too transgressive. I said, "But if you put in some money and have a decent conversation with me, perhaps we could make some amendments." But they felt the whole topic was too hot.
CNNGo: Are you taking this script elsewhere or are you holding on to it for now?
Tok: Holding on to it; it’s two-thirds finished. You see a story like that would only be pertinent to Singaporeans. It’s not going to be relevant to a 22-year old South Korean or a Thai investor. But we’ll see what happens. The script has already been written.

DannyBoyBoy

Alfrescian
Loyal
CNNGo: Do you see yourself working more in China?
Tok: Yes but I don’t want to live there. I like New York because it’s where I’m zapped. I go to a museum and I feel, my god, New York sets the standard for me to aspire to.
CNNGo: Are you working on anything in New York right now?
Tok: I might be either doing a reading of a Singapore play, provided I can get funds. On a commercial front I am negotiating with a producer to do the play "Proof," using an Asian American cast, and to stage it on Broadway. Maybe for the third quarter or second half of next year. It’s an expensive affair to stage something on Broadway, like an US$8-10 million affair, so we’ll see. My take is that an Asian-American cast will give the play a different dimension, and yet preserve its American essence.
CNNGo: In many ways you are a global citizen, but where do you consider your home?
Tok: Where my wife is. (In New York.) She doesn’t like China. She’ll come back to Singapore if and when there’s a need to.
CNNGo: If you get elected, are you ready to curtail your artistic life to participate in politics here?
Tok: It will be a curtailment. I will still have to keep up the art thing in China, that’s my business, that’s my livelihood. But I will be based here, and Shanghai is just five hours away.
CNNGo: Singapore just celebrated National Day. What are your hopes and dreams for the country?
Tok: I hope that all [this] talk about Singapore as merely a city will stop. Because I’ve lived my life telling people that my country is Singapore. And if Singapore is not a country and merely a city then I don’t know how I’m going to answer this question in the future. I don’t know when Singapore became a global city instead of this country that we thought we were a part of; I find that really confusing. Calling this a global city obfuscates the issue. We got kicked out (of Malaysia) and had to become a country. Whether we fit the mould or the definition of what other people call a county or not is immaterial. I grew up thinking we were a country. And that to a large extent has defined a lot of us in our generation. If not Singapore, what? Where? What place can I claim to be mine? Shanghai? Even though I like it a lot more as a city.
CNNGo: Can I take it that home and country mean two different things to you?
Tok: Don’t call Singapore our best home or our global city, it’s our country. You have certain duties and obligations with regards to that. And this is what I’m trying to oblige, my relationship with my country. Though this may not be my home, it is still my country. And I still relate to it as my country and I’m duty bound to do what I think is for the better of it. And it’s both my duty and my right. I absolutely feel strongly about that. It may not be my home, for now, but it is my country.

http://www.cnngo.com/singapore/life/alec-tok-shining-light-singapore-287377