• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Thinking Aloud ...

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
The usual mute tissue seller old lady slowly approached me just now as I was having my usual kopi at the kopishop. Instinctively, my right hand reached out for my wallet in my back trouser pocket, took out a $5 note and gave it to her without taking the tissue. Depending on whatever small notes I have in my wallet, it could sometimes be $2 or $5 or $10. I visit this kopishop almost daily on weekdays. I guess its $50 to $80 for her each month. It's most probably insufficient for her monthly expenses, but I hope it helps a little. Well, if you think she's making a hefty sum from selling tissue, I doubt. I have observed more than often, that no one ever buys tissue from her, despite her moving around from table to table in her arthritis infected limbs. I am not sure what I can do to help, without "inconveniencing" myself. Giving a little money is the best I can do. I guess I am not a charitable or generous person as I don't want to saddle with issues she faces in her life by finding out about her story. I am probably a selfish person, sorry. I reckon she's going to sell tissue till she departs from this world, hobbling around in her painful limbs, making "strange" noises to catch her customers' attention as she is mute. Life has been lucky for me. Almost reaching six decades in my life, I am still solvent and comfortable. I have no major ailments unlike her. Why can't gods or goddesses make life comfortable for everyone? Or is it that there isn't a god and we are all nobody and will fade into a nonexistent matter once our time is up? Will there be reincarnation where I get to live and taste what she's going through and she gets to enjoy where I am now? Religions or faith gives humans a hope that there is light at the end of the tunnel, but how sure are we that it's not the slow illuminating light of an oncoming train? Am I normal having such thoughts? Maybe, maybe, my time is coming...

I really don't know.

Last edited:

JustLikeThis

Alfrescian
Loyal
The usual mute tissue seller old lady slowly approached me just now as I was having my usual kopi at the kopishop. Instinctively, my right hand reached out for my wallet in my back trouser pocket, took out a $5 note and gave it to her without taking the tissue. Depending on whatever small notes I have in my wallet, it could sometimes be $2 or $5 or $10. I visit this kopishop almost daily on weekdays. I guess its $50 to $80 for her each month. It's most probably insufficient for her monthly expenses, but I hope it helps a little. Well, if you think she's making a hefty sum from selling tissue, I doubt. I have observed more than often, that no one ever buys tissue from her, despite her moving around from table to table in her arthritis infected limbs. I am not sure what I can do to help, without "inconveniencing" myself. Giving a little money is the best I can do. I guess I am not a charitable or generous person as I don't want to saddle with issues she faces in her life by finding out about her story. I am probably a selfish person, sorry. I reckon she's going to sell tissue till she depart from this world, hobbling around in her painful limbs, making "strange" noises to catch her customers' attention as she is mute. Life has been lucky for me. Almost reaching six decades in my life, I am still solvent and comfortable. I have no major ailments unlike her. Why can't gods or goddesses make life comfortable for everyone? Or is it that there isn't a god and we are all nobody and will fade into a nonexistent matter once our time is up? Will there be reincarnation where I get to live and taste what she's going through and she gets to enjoy where I am now? Religions or faith gives humans a hope that there is light at the end of the tunnel, but how sure are we that it's not the slow illuminating light of an oncoming train? Am I normal having such thoughts? Maybe, maybe, my time is coming...

I really don't know.

I buy lotteries from a handicap. I have been doing it for many years. His business had badly affected because Singapore pools wanted to wipe them out by bringing everything online.

Singapore pools went as far as stopping the print of Big Sweeps last year. Big Sweeps was the handicap's main income because we used to be able to buy at par value ($3) and the handicaps got a tiny share from the sales proceeds. In the minds of customers, we did not pay more by buying from him or Singapore Pools outlets. Now Big Sweeps tickets are pre-printed from Singapore pools outlet, we can't choose the running numbers (because I buy a lot, it is easier to check my losings) and it costs more to buy from handicaps.

For example, even for TOTO, I bought 4 x $7 from him, but I got to pay $30.

It costs more to support him, in the past one year, he lost a lot of income.

wontonmee

Alfrescian
Loyal
took out a $5 note and gave it to her without taking the tissue. Depending on whatever small notes I have in my wallet, it could sometimes be $2 or $5 or $10.
OK lah, you just treat the $1 kopi like drinking Starfuck coffee by paying 6bucks in total. At least old lady get the money instead of Starfuck.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Contact John Tan ...he and his RC team will throw money at the old lady, if you believe his tales.

Latest stats from PAP says that most people have saving exceeding the minimum sum ...so, cases like that old lady is just an aberration.

RODYK

Alfrescian
Loyal
Self glorified and self promote thread.
Do good don't need announce to whole world.
Why not u inform us earlier.
We can get a team of stomp to attend to u when u pretence to do good.
If u need the attention badly.
Alot of us donate to community chest $150- $200 on a monthly basis but we don't announced and only keep it ourselves.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i also donate petty amount to many different charity on nearly daily basis but mostly to help those in africa.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If you walk north along Jalan Besar, just before Kelantan Lane and Berseh Food Centre, there's an old uncle begging for $1 from passerbys. :wink:

RODYK

Alfrescian
Loyal
i also donate petty amount to many different charity on nearly daily basis but mostly to help those in africa.
A lot of us do donate to temples , Churches mosque etc.

To schools , orphanage,hospice care
HIV home leprosy care in Thailand, Cambodia ,Laos,India etc.
Many are deprived of proper care due to poverty.

Thousands of volunteers flock to India
Missionaries of Charity by Mother Theresa.

Missionaries care for those who include refugees, former prostitutes, the mentally ill, sick children, abandoned children, lepers, people with AIDS, the aged, and convalescent. They have schools run by volunteers to educate street children and run soup kitchensas well as other services according to the community needs. These services are provided, without charge, to people regardless of their religion or social status.

These are true respected heros and heroine.
They are in front line taking care Aids lepers patients.

But you won't see or them telling others what they had done.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A lot of us do donate to temples , Churches mosque etc.

To schools , orphanage,hospice care
HIV home leprosy care in Thailand, Cambodia ,Laos,India etc.
Many are deprived of proper care due to poverty.

Thousands of volunteers flock to India
Missionaries of Charity by Mother Theresa.

Missionaries care for those who include refugees, former prostitutes, the mentally ill, sick children, abandoned children, lepers, people with AIDS, the aged, and convalescent. They have schools run by volunteers to educate street children and run soup kitchensas well as other services according to the community needs. These services are provided, without charge, to people regardless of their religion or social status.

These are true respected heros and heroine.
They are in front line taking care Aids lepers patients.

But you won't see or them telling others what they had done.
Unsung heroes

RODYK

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mother-Teresa-quote-Its-about-how-much-love-you-put-into-what-you-do-that-counts.jpg