• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

things you miss from the past?

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
ya i used to tolak a bit of money at roxy cinema ....50 cents for the $ 1 seat.

Which reminds me, can "ulor" Cathay cinema ushers after 1st 20mins, when coast is clear after trailers with 50cents - $1 (can't remember). But no circle seats hor.. At least can afford the kachang puteh (wraped in newspaper cone) from ah neh.:p

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Which reminds me, can "ulor" Cathay cinema ushers after 1st 20mins, when coast is clear after trailers with 50cents - $1 (can't remember). But no circle seats hor.. At least can afford the kachang puteh (wraped in newspaper cone) from ah neh.:p
My and my pals the modus operandi is all pool money buy one ticket then the guy go in and open the exit door from inside and let us all in.........certain cinemas only..........like old Lido where the exit is at the toilets.....those were the days.

escher

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Orchard road without any hotels then, and weekly pasar malam there from Paterson road to Tanglin road

Catching longkang fish from big drain off Orchard road opposite Cold Storage

Nightly makan in the carpark Orchard road opposite Cold Storage

Dancing on top of the public toilet in Bugis street

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Nightly makan in the carpark Orchard road opposite Cold Storage. Dancing on top of the public toilet in Bugis street
Car park stalls only can afford on date ..but pricey still (chinese stalls very enterprising 1), so settle for cheaper malay satay stall. At former, once finish gotta get your ass out ..with hawkers starring daggers due to limited seating. Anyone recall that cowboy character??

Oh Bugis St dancing on toilet? Must be when the navy's in town la. Best beef kuay teow soup -teochew style (not hainanese odeon thick gravy type, that's another story) at junction.

Cheap tiger beer off junction at kopitiam, with free music from pirated cassette shop next door. But wet behind years then, dunno how to drink properly, puke at kitchen basin and kena scold by kopitiam owner. Enjoy sights of angmohs kena accosted by LBs:p
Narong Wongwan said:
exit door from inside and let us all in.........certain cinemas only..........like old Lido where the exit is at the toilets.....those were the days.
Rear door bandit:p

Last edited:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Car park stalls only can afford on date ..but pricey still (chinese stalls very enterprising 1), so settle for cheaper malay satay stall. At former, once finish gotta get your ass out ..with hawkers starring daggers due to limited seating. Anyone recall that cowboy character??

Oh Bugis St dancing on toilet? Must be when the navy's in town la. Best beef kuay teow soup -teochew style (not hainanese odeon thick gravy type, that's another story) at junction.

Cheap tiger beer off junction at kopitiam, with free music from pirated cassette shop next door. But wet behind years then, dunno how to drink properly, puke at kitchen basin and kena scold by kopitiam owner. Enjoy sights of angmohs kena accosted by LBs:p

Rear door bandit:p

The Orchard Rd "Cowboy" repeated so many times. Bugis Street, Hylam Street..Johor Road...whatever, memories...Wan tan noodle, Turtle Soup, Chicken Rice ( they are now at Bishan & Long House), Porridge, the "ngor hiang stall", the 'ladies" of the night, the place gets, rowdy, colourful, when the navy ships come into town... in the 80's brought my Tokyo Colleagues there for a tour...they too misses, Bugis Street....

escher

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Isn't that a retired-gays' resort ?, as the name impLies ..:biggrin:

If you came from the time where a 20 stick pack of Dunhill was bought at $1 a pack, and individual stick of ciggie sold at 5 cents each, you know
that Pulau not a gay paradise :biggrin:

There was also a time where the waters off Changi beach was so clear, and mangrove swamps from causeway to changi, on both side of the straits

One of the most beautiful coral reef I have known (and I dived in great barrier reef and South Pacific islands and Taiwan) was just off the old Bedok, now buried under Marine Parade road, Mandarin Gardens and Bayshore park.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Missed the street candies sold by mobile vendors

ting ting candy
malt candy
kacang puteh (mobile and in cinemas)
steam peanuts (nowsadays one no fight)
mua chee (again nowsadays is taiwan version)
sng bao (sold by your neighbours)

Pii Narong you forgotten the old lady carry aluminium pail selling that sticky sweet where she pull and pull out the sticky stuff using two sticks and then roll it. Best is when you pay extra 5 cents and she allow you to dip into cuttlefish.

during my childhood days, ang pow was 20 cents

ha ha ha ha ha 20 cents angpow like those funeral angpow

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
If you came from the time where a 20 stick pack of Dunhill was bought at $1 a pack, and individual stick of ciggie sold at 5 cents each, you know
that Pulau not a gay paradise :biggrin:

There was also a time where the waters off Changi beach was so clear, and mangrove swamps from causeway to changi, on both side of the straits

One of the most beautiful coral reef I have known (and I dived in great barrier reef and South Pacific islands and Taiwan) was just off the old Bedok, now buried under Marine Parade road, Mandarin Gardens and Bayshore park.
Btw bro, i was puLLing your Legs La.i rem there was Bukit Impian, south of BLakang Mati.We used to crawL up the
concrete sLopes and entering a knee-deep cave of waters; to coLLect Birds' nests.Best time to enter was 1pm, when
the swaLLows were out and sun Light was strong.Cockroaches inside were aLL of the aLbino types, cos they never
get to see the sun in their Life-time.
Back to the ciggies' stuffs, we used to buy them from mama staLLs at 5cts a stick too, out of a circuLar kong..
:smile:

BuriramUnitedFC

Alfrescian
Loyal
i miss talking on the phone. dominated by so much social media. i didn't know facebook has a chat function and whatapp is a mobile phone application that sends and receives free text messages! My Nokia N95 model doesn't have that though :o

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why This Brand Disappeared

Fanta_Bottle.jpg

Has this brand disappeared ? When and why it didn't make here ? :eek:

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
i miss talking on the phone. dominated by so much social media. i didn't know facebook has a chat function and whatapp is a mobile phone application that sends and receives free text messages! My Nokia N95 model doesn't have that though :o

Yesh ! Nokia is downsizing its operation. Is this the one near the millenium year ? Can't forget this phone. Many of the people I know owned of these. Sux !

tumblr_laqp9jIuje1qaceyjo1_400.jpg

escher

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Btw bro, i was puLLing your Legs La.i rem there was Bukit Impian, south of BLakang Mati.We used to crawL up the
concrete sLopes and entering a knee-deep cave of waters; to coLLect Birds' nests.Best time to enter was 1pm, when
the swaLLows were out and sun Light was strong.Cockroaches inside were aLL of the aLbino types, cos they never
get to see the sun in their Life-time.
Back to the ciggies' stuffs, we used to buy them from mama staLLs at 5cts a stick too, out of a circuLar kong..
:smile:

Ha ha ha!

I did not go to P Impian.

Cannot remember the name now of another big Pulau south of B Mati but got big kampong there that I used to go to from bum boat.

And the mama stall had tiny lighted oil lamp with strips of paper cut from ciggie boxes that you use to light that 5 cent ciggie.
You ever seen the dancing on top of the public toilet of Bugis street or were you a dancer there yourself?

How to feel nostalgic in Sinkapore now?

All the old places gone. Or their names hijacked and used in another place 1-2-4 miles away.

Things that were real and filled with magic got turn into something plastic and artificial

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yesh ! Nokia is downsizing its operation. Is this the one near the millenium year ? Can't forget this phone. Many of the people I know owned of these. Sux !

tumblr_laqp9jIuje1qaceyjo1_400.jpg

Non smartphones like these are favoured by the criminal types.
De riguer for ah longs and OKT types.
Apparently harder to pinpoint location and easy to change sim cards.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Pii Narong you forgotten the old lady carry aluminium pail selling that sticky sweet where she pull and pull out the sticky stuff using two sticks and then roll it. Best is when you pay extra 5 cents and she allow you to dip into cuttlefish.
Bro, wouldn't that be malt candy? 麦芽糖?
But dun recall it came with cuttlefish....