• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The RETIREMENT thread

bart12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not quite passive as you think. You still got to manage. And there is always the fear that your investment might drop, tenant may not pay rent (if you in SG is ok but not so much in country like Canada where laws favor the tenant rather than landlord).

Those of you already made it liao enough passive income to stop work - good for you. Well done! Of course retire. Go enjoy life.

The majority of people including myself will never be able to retire in our lives.

Personally I will work myself to the bone till I die to try to get a trust of some sort to help my children and future generation so that they might have a shot with retirement. I will definitely die trying. :roflmao: :roflmao:
Not this Canadian who invested in diversified dividend etf ..

bart12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Doesn't look like he is retired to me. He still buys and sells. And looks like he has to manage still and make youtube videos. He might make money active income with his youtube videos. Trader.

My training is not in finance. It is in medicine. And I make way more than $5k a month.

Doesn't make sense for me to stop working. Particularly so since I don't have anything I want to do if I stop working! If I stop working I might as well die.

Thanks for the video.

https://www.sammyboy.com/threads/im-shopping-on-the-stock-market-tomorrow.280519/post-3062214

I do try to invest as well. But I don't have so much cash lying around. Not as rich as this Canadian dude.

I have put up a house for sale so hopefully can get some cash again. I also spent some cash buying a F&B business in June 2020.

I retire is really no point lah. It is dumb if you ask me. Might as well keep working, build up the cash so that my kids can be like this Canadian dude, all 4 of my kids.
As long as you enjoy your work...otherwise there is always some alternative

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Not this Canadian who invested in diversified dividend etf ..

Hey @bart12

Thank you very much for posting the video.

Actually I looked more into his strategy. At first I thought it is just high management fee growth funds or something like that.

I was honestly not aware of something called covered call ETFs. But it makes sense and is something that fits my profile.

Do you follow this guy much and do you also use covered call ETFs?

I looked at his record https://passiveincomeinvesting.ca/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/660k-Portfolio-May-2021.xlsx

There was a massive jump in his dividends from 2019 ($11,714.91) vs 2020 ($47,844.26). Why? Maybe he is correct that during down market and extremely low interest rate environment there is much more demand for the call options and covered call ETFs.

Last edited:

bart12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hey @bart12

Actually I looked more into his strategy. At first I thought it is just high management fee growth funds or something like that.

I was honestly not aware of something called covered call ETFs. But it makes sense and is something that fits my profile.

I looked at his record https://passiveincomeinvesting.ca/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/660k-Portfolio-May-2021.xlsx

There was a massive jump in his dividends from 2019 ($11,714.91) vs 2020 ($47,844.26). Why? Maybe he is correct that during down market and extremely low interest rate environment there is much more demand for the call options and covered call ETFs.
I am learning about covered ETF myself..I only bought a small amount of 2 etfs he recommended to try out because I am not sure about the tax implication yet as Canada impose 15% withholding tax on foreigner like me. However,t it should be straight forward for you to invest them in a Canada retirement account tax free. ZWC.TO is a Canadian bluechip etf I bought which comprise of all the big Canadian banks, energy giant like ENB and one of the largest asset management company Brookfield.. This ETF itself is delivering 4% yield from its holding and another 4% from its options..I feel it is safe for conservative investor than to put money in the bank. I hope you can learn something in your free time .. Who know it might enlarge your family trust and leave something bigger for your kids.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
I am learning about covered ETF myself..I only bought a small amount of 2 etfs he recommended to try out because I am not sure about the tax implication yet as Canada impose 15% withholding tax on foreigner like me. However,t it should be straight forward for you to invest them in a Canada retirement account tax free. ZWC.TO is a Canadian bluechip etf I bought which comprise of all the big Canadian banks, energy giant like ENB and one of the largest asset management company Brookfield.. This ETF itself is delivering 4% yield from its holding and another 4% from its options..I feel it is safe for conservative investor than to put money in the bank. I hope you can learn something in your free time .. Who know it might enlarge your family trust and leave something bigger for your kids.

Thank you @bart12

Yes I have been watching the videos. I also purchased his spreadsheet. I do like the Canadian banks so I will definitely be looking to get some of the ZWC.TO as well. I also think I will get NXF.

With the Canadian banks stocks it is quite true that for the most part they usually give a dividend yield of around 3%. If the stock price moves up they will raise the dividend. And this is across the 6 big banks. So yes the 4% dividend from holding is definitely real even when you just buy the stock today. Well maybe 3%. The secondary income strategy of selling call options is very good as well.

This guy probably lost out on some of the growth in the last year and he admits it. However, his dividend passive income did jump a lot in 2020.

bart12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hey @bart12

I just watched his earlier video and I know why his dividends jump drastically in 2020 vs 2019.. He sold his property and invest 95% proceed. This is what I call conviction..

1623963232581.png

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
I just watched his earlier video and I know why his dividends jump drastically in 2020 vs 2019.. He sold his property and invest 95% proceed. This is what I call conviction..

View attachment 113920

Yeah I asked him the question and he directed me to his video.

He sold his condo and used the money to invest in these high yield stocks. However I think he bought before the March 2020 market crash from covid. So he is probably underwater capital wise for most of his portfolio.

I did ask him some questions about NAV regarding the Split share corps and I was not too impressed with his answers. I asked what happens during wind up. Do you get the NAV predistribution? Eg if NAV (usually 1 Preferred share and 1 Class A share) is $15 on wind up do you get the NAV ie $15? And he said yes.

Well the things is he buys usually only the Class A share and not the PR.A. And that's what he refers to as the high yield cos it pays $0.10 monthly for example. But he was not clear in his answer to me that you can buy Class A or PR.A. ie the split share corp is not ONE stock symbol but 2 different ones.

So I think he has an agenda to try to promote his holdings. He wants to give the impression that split share corp is ONE stock symbol ie the Class A share one only.

bart12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yeah I asked him the question and he directed me to his video.

He sold his condo and used the money to invest in these high yield stocks. However I think he bought before the March 2020 market crash from covid. So he is probably underwater capital wise for most of his portfolio.

I did ask him some questions about NAV regarding the Split share corps and I was not too impressed with his answers. I asked what happens during wind up. Do you get the NAV predistribution? Eg if NAV (usually 1 Preferred share and 1 Class A share) is $15 on wind up do you get the NAV ie $15? And he said yes.

Well the things is he buys usually only the Class A share and not the PR.A. And that's what he refers to as the high yield cos it pays $0.10 monthly for example. But he was not clear in his answer to me that you can buy Class A or PR.A. ie the split share corp is not ONE stock symbol but 2 different ones.

So I think he has an agenda to try to promote his holdings. He wants to give the impression that split share corp is ONE stock symbol ie the Class A share one only.
It is good to be skeptical and ask question on investment.. However,I don't think anyone can really move a fund single-handedly just by promoting online.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
It is good to be skeptical and ask question on investment.. However,I don't think anyone can really move a fund single-handedly just by promoting online.

Well the reddit groups literally have done that. You never know.

It was interesting though to learn that there are all these very high yielding financial instruments for retail investors. Opens up a different viewpoint.

I got 500 Class A DFN shares at 8.34. Will see how that goes.

bart12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well the reddit groups literally have done that. You never know.

It was interesting though to learn that there are all these very high yielding financial instruments for retail investors. Opens up a different viewpoint.

I got 500 Class A DFN shares at 8.34. Will see how that goes.
For individual stock,yes..However for a fund with >10 large cap stocks , you need a lot more capital. I am learning about these high yielding financial instruments as well..I will take it slow to understand since I am in no hurry in investing anything right now. DFN is interesting and I am trying to find out what is the catch..

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal

View attachment 113920
Like that can retire at 34? It's not enough. 88k is a lot meh? Made 15k profit on stocks , how about the losses? etc. Why are so many people so taken up with these kind of stories? To contribute to the nation and to society by working is a privilege, don't squander it.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
This is my currrent retirement fund :

#NameCountry% of Portfolio
1.Contact Energy LtdNew Zealand2.53%
2.Spark New Zealand LtdNew Zealand1.80%
3.Telstra Corp LtdAustralia1.48%
4.National Australia Bank LtdAustralia1.37%
5.Meridian Energy LtdNew Zealand1.34%
6.RE1 Limited 5.12%Australia1.30%
7.Fisher & Paykel Healthcare Corp LtdNew Zealand1.05%
8.Woolworths Group LtdAustralia0.96%
9.Goodman GroupAustralia0.91%
10.Transurban GroupAustralia0.90%
11.Mainfreight LtdNew Zealand0.86%
12.Infratil LtdNew Zealand0.81%
13.Summerset Group Holdings LtdNew Zealand0.75%
14.Atlas Arteria LtdAustralia0.72%
15.Charter Hall Retail REITAustralia0.68%
16.Santos LtdAustralia0.65%
17.Virgin Money UK PLC DRUnited Kingdom0.64%
18.CSL LtdAustralia0.64%
19.Alphabet Inc Class CUnited States0.63%
20.Getlink SEFrance0.63%
21.Aena SME SASpain0.62%
22.Kiwi Property Group LtdNew Zealand0.59%
23.Microsoft CorpUnited States0.59%
24.Shopping Centres Australasia Property GroupAustralia0.58%
25.Mirvac Group Finance Limited 3.62%Australia0.57%
26.ASB Bank Limited 5.25%New Zealand0.57%
27.Charter Hall Long WALE REIT Stapled Secs Cons of 1 DIF + 1 FSPT + 1 FinanceAustralia0.57%
28.Arena REITAustralia0.53%
29.CSX CorpUnited States0.52%
30.Coles Group LtdAustralia0.52%
31.Aventus Capital Ltd 24/01/25Australia0.52%
32.Westpac Banking Corporation 4.7%Australia0.48%
33.Ebos Group LtdNew Zealand0.47%
34.CNH Industrial NVUnited Kingdom0.47%
35.Westpac Banking CorpAustralia0.47%
36.Mirvac GroupAustralia0.47%
37.American Water Works Co IncUnited States0.46%
38.AusNet Services Holdings Pty LtdAustralia0.45%
39.D.R. Horton IncUnited States0.45%
40.Telefonaktiebolaget LM Ericsson (publ) 1%Sweden0.44%
41.HCA Healthcare IncUnited States0.43%
42.Victoria Power Networks (Finance) Pty Ltd 1.6%Australia0.43%
43.Evolution Mining LtdAustralia0.43%
44.New Zealand Local Government Funding Agency Ltd 1.5%New Zealand0.43%
45.Norfolk Southern CorpUnited States0.43%
46.Charter Hall Social Infrastructure REITAustralia0.42%
47.Northern Star Resources LtdAustralia0.41%
48.Australia and New Zealand Banking Group LtdAustralia0.41%
49.Westpac New Zealand Limited 5%Australia0.40%
50.Commonwealth Bank of AustraliaAustralia0.40%
51.Ardagh Packaging Finance plc / Ardagh Holdings USA Inc. 4.12%Ireland0.40%
52.Santos Finance Limited 5.25%Australia0.39%
53.ASB Bank Limited 1.65%New Zealand0.39%
54.Collins Foods LtdAustralia0.39%
55.JPMorgan Chase & Co. 1.09%United States0.39%
56.Ball Corporation 1.5%United States0.39%
57.BHP Group PLCUnited Kingdom0.38%
58.Lend Lease (US) Capital, Inc. 4.5%Australia0.38%
59.Investore Property LtdNew Zealand0.37%
60.T-Mobile USA, Inc. 3.38%United States0.37%
61.Amazon.com IncUnited States0.36%
62.Ampol LtdAustralia0.36%
63.Coles Group Treasury Pty Ltd 2.2%Australia0.36%
64.Charter Hall GroupAustralia0.35%
65.Vodafone Group plc 6.25%United Kingdom0.35%
66.BP Capital Markets plc 3.62%United Kingdom0.34%
67.Cooperatieve Rabobank U.A. 0.88%Netherlands0.34%
68.Citigroup Inc. 5%United States0.33%
69.Anthem IncUnited States0.33%
70.Cooperatieve Rabobank U.A. 4.62%Netherlands0.33%
71.Westpac Banking CorporationAustralia0.33%
72.BHP Group LtdAustralia0.33%
73.Apple IncUnited States0.32%
74.Charles Schwab CorpUnited States0.32%
75.Intercontinental Exchange IncUnited States0.32%
76.Virgin Money UK PLC 5.12%United Kingdom0.32%
77.United Utilities Group PLCUnited Kingdom0.31%
78.The Home Depot IncUnited States0.31%
79.Nintendo Co LtdJapan0.30%
80.ANZ Bank New Zealand Limited 3.5%New Zealand0.30%
81.Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co Ltd ADRTaiwan0.30%
82.HSBC Holdings plcUnited Kingdom0.30%
83.Danaher CorpUnited States0.30%
84.Morgan Stanley 0.41%United States0.30%
85.Ryman Healthcare LtdNew Zealand0.30%
86.PayPal Holdings IncUnited States0.29%
87.Barclays PLCUnited Kingdom0.29%
88.Chorus LtdNew Zealand0.29%
89.Bank of America Corporation 3.46%United States0.29%
90.Citigroup Inc.United States0.29%
91.NatWest Group plc 5.12%United Kingdom0.29%
92.Seagate HDD Cayman 4.09%United States0.29%
93.JPMorgan Chase & Co. 5%United States0.29%
94.Visa Inc Class AUnited States0.29%
95.TransUnionUnited States0.28%
96.Nationwide Building Society 5.75%United Kingdom0.28%
97.LVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton SEFrance0.28%
98.NatWest Group plc 8%United Kingdom0.28%
99.Verisure Holding AB (publ) 3.88%Sweden0.28%
100.HDFC Bank Ltd ADRIndia0.28%

bart12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Like that can retire at 34? It's not enough. 88k is a lot meh? Made 15k profit on stocks , how about the losses? etc. Why are so many people so taken up with these kind of stories? To contribute to the nation and to society by working is a privilege, don't squander it.
Go and google F.I.R.E. It is new lifestyle choice to retire early by balancing your expense and passive income..No right or wrong.. some people just don't love their jobs

bart12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yeah that one is important. Haha.

The FIRE movement seems more like the age of self indulgence. What about children? Dont bother about them?

I was telling my father my generation and his is different. The baby boomers had pension plans. They also saw 900% growth in property price in SG.

My generation has none of those.

For me I will just keep working.

Because I am not salary based and only get paid when I work and bill I think of retirement like when I think of going on holiday. I have no leave. No vacation pay. So on holidays not only do I spend money on the holiday i also lose out on the income that would have been earned had i been working. Double whammy.

Maybe big company CEOs should also be paid like that. They take holiday can take substantial chunk off their annual earnings!
LOL Now young generation YOLO ..u dunno meh.. Even China youth is catching up with their 躺平 "do nothing in life' movement which is even worse

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-57348406

bart12

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think 1929 style crash coming.

Remember that the Spanish Flu was in 1918. The years after the Flu problem resolved were very good economically. Lots of excesses until 1929 crash.

I see some of that now. I think this time might be sooner. Maybe 2024.
I don't want to speculate about a crash but I know I will stop working in 2024 ...

bart12

Alfrescian
Loyal
How come?
I have been a permabear for a long time and become a laughing stock myself, so I stop speculating. I have no debt , invest in money I can afford to lose , enough emergency fund that I can afford to stop working and start living the way I want for my remaining life .

bart12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Congratulations! I am happy for you. Do you know what you will be doing when you stop working?
I stopped working for a few months in 2017 and i kept thinking about going back to work. Lol.
If I am in Spore, my retire life will be bored to death..However, living in a big country really broaden my horizon that there are plenty of things to do. My situation is different from you..You have a few kids, you can't really do anything with them off your mind