• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The RETIREMENT thread

bart12

Alfrescian
Loyal
1624222899206.png

kelvin

Alfrescian
Loyal
Enjoy doing what you love.
Gardening-I grow a few plants.
Pets-I bring my dog to the park, beach, anywhere dogs are allowed.
Swimming-Swam at least once a week.
Pub-listening to music while sipping my Peppermint 7-up.
Netflix-watched a few block busters, real life documentary- just finished 3 seasons of how Pablo Escobar built his cocaine empire. Got betrayed by his most trusted hitman and bodyguard.
Music-Listening to oldies but goodies.
Cooking, as simple as making a tuna sandwich.
Exercise-brisk walking and swimming.
And many more.

Take care of your health Always.

jw5

Loyal
Enjoy doing what you love.
Gardening-I grow a few plants.
Pets-I bring my dog to the park, beach, anywhere dogs are allowed.
Swimming-Swam at least once a week.
Pub-listening to music while sipping my Peppermint 7-up.
Netflix-watched a few block busters, real life documentary- just finished 3 seasons of how Pablo Escobar built his cocaine empire. Got betrayed by his most trusted hitman and bodyguard.
Music-Listening to oldies but goodies.
Cooking, as simple as making a tuna sandwich.
Exercise-brisk walking and swimming.
And many more.

Take care of your health Always.

Sounds like a great life, would be greater if you can grow your own vegetables and cook them.

Asterix

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This is my currrent retirement fund :

#NameCountry% of Portfolio
1.Contact Energy LtdNew Zealand2.53%
2.Spark New Zealand LtdNew Zealand1.80%
3.Telstra Corp LtdAustralia1.48%
4.National Australia Bank LtdAustralia1.37%
5.Meridian Energy LtdNew Zealand1.34%
6.RE1 Limited 5.12%Australia1.30%
7.Fisher & Paykel Healthcare Corp LtdNew Zealand1.05%
8.Woolworths Group LtdAustralia0.96%
9.Goodman GroupAustralia0.91%
10.Transurban GroupAustralia0.90%
11.Mainfreight LtdNew Zealand0.86%
12.Infratil LtdNew Zealand0.81%
13.Summerset Group Holdings LtdNew Zealand0.75%
14.Atlas Arteria LtdAustralia0.72%
15.Charter Hall Retail REITAustralia0.68%
16.Santos LtdAustralia0.65%
17.Virgin Money UK PLC DRUnited Kingdom0.64%
18.CSL LtdAustralia0.64%
19.Alphabet Inc Class CUnited States0.63%
20.Getlink SEFrance0.63%
21.Aena SME SASpain0.62%
22.Kiwi Property Group LtdNew Zealand0.59%
23.Microsoft CorpUnited States0.59%
24.Shopping Centres Australasia Property GroupAustralia0.58%
25.Mirvac Group Finance Limited 3.62%Australia0.57%
26.ASB Bank Limited 5.25%New Zealand0.57%
27.Charter Hall Long WALE REIT Stapled Secs Cons of 1 DIF + 1 FSPT + 1 FinanceAustralia0.57%
28.Arena REITAustralia0.53%
29.CSX CorpUnited States0.52%
30.Coles Group LtdAustralia0.52%
31.Aventus Capital Ltd 24/01/25Australia0.52%
32.Westpac Banking Corporation 4.7%Australia0.48%
33.Ebos Group LtdNew Zealand0.47%
34.CNH Industrial NVUnited Kingdom0.47%
35.Westpac Banking CorpAustralia0.47%
36.Mirvac GroupAustralia0.47%
37.American Water Works Co IncUnited States0.46%
38.AusNet Services Holdings Pty LtdAustralia0.45%
39.D.R. Horton IncUnited States0.45%
40.Telefonaktiebolaget LM Ericsson (publ) 1%Sweden0.44%
41.HCA Healthcare IncUnited States0.43%
42.Victoria Power Networks (Finance) Pty Ltd 1.6%Australia0.43%
43.Evolution Mining LtdAustralia0.43%
44.New Zealand Local Government Funding Agency Ltd 1.5%New Zealand0.43%
45.Norfolk Southern CorpUnited States0.43%
46.Charter Hall Social Infrastructure REITAustralia0.42%
47.Northern Star Resources LtdAustralia0.41%
48.Australia and New Zealand Banking Group LtdAustralia0.41%
49.Westpac New Zealand Limited 5%Australia0.40%
50.Commonwealth Bank of AustraliaAustralia0.40%
51.Ardagh Packaging Finance plc / Ardagh Holdings USA Inc. 4.12%Ireland0.40%
52.Santos Finance Limited 5.25%Australia0.39%
53.ASB Bank Limited 1.65%New Zealand0.39%
54.Collins Foods LtdAustralia0.39%
55.JPMorgan Chase & Co. 1.09%United States0.39%
56.Ball Corporation 1.5%United States0.39%
57.BHP Group PLCUnited Kingdom0.38%
58.Lend Lease (US) Capital, Inc. 4.5%Australia0.38%
59.Investore Property LtdNew Zealand0.37%
60.T-Mobile USA, Inc. 3.38%United States0.37%
61.Amazon.com IncUnited States0.36%
62.Ampol LtdAustralia0.36%
63.Coles Group Treasury Pty Ltd 2.2%Australia0.36%
64.Charter Hall GroupAustralia0.35%
65.Vodafone Group plc 6.25%United Kingdom0.35%
66.BP Capital Markets plc 3.62%United Kingdom0.34%
67.Cooperatieve Rabobank U.A. 0.88%Netherlands0.34%
68.Citigroup Inc. 5%United States0.33%
69.Anthem IncUnited States0.33%
70.Cooperatieve Rabobank U.A. 4.62%Netherlands0.33%
71.Westpac Banking CorporationAustralia0.33%
72.BHP Group LtdAustralia0.33%
73.Apple IncUnited States0.32%
74.Charles Schwab CorpUnited States0.32%
75.Intercontinental Exchange IncUnited States0.32%
76.Virgin Money UK PLC 5.12%United Kingdom0.32%
77.United Utilities Group PLCUnited Kingdom0.31%
78.The Home Depot IncUnited States0.31%
79.Nintendo Co LtdJapan0.30%
80.ANZ Bank New Zealand Limited 3.5%New Zealand0.30%
81.Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co Ltd ADRTaiwan0.30%
82.HSBC Holdings plcUnited Kingdom0.30%
83.Danaher CorpUnited States0.30%
84.Morgan Stanley 0.41%United States0.30%
85.Ryman Healthcare LtdNew Zealand0.30%
86.PayPal Holdings IncUnited States0.29%
87.Barclays PLCUnited Kingdom0.29%
88.Chorus LtdNew Zealand0.29%
89.Bank of America Corporation 3.46%United States0.29%
90.Citigroup Inc.United States0.29%
91.NatWest Group plc 5.12%United Kingdom0.29%
92.Seagate HDD Cayman 4.09%United States0.29%
93.JPMorgan Chase & Co. 5%United States0.29%
94.Visa Inc Class AUnited States0.29%
95.TransUnionUnited States0.28%
96.Nationwide Building Society 5.75%United Kingdom0.28%
97.LVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton SEFrance0.28%
98.NatWest Group plc 8%United Kingdom0.28%
99.Verisure Holding AB (publ) 3.88%Sweden0.28%
100.HDFC Bank Ltd ADRIndia0.28%
Wow, one hundred stocks in your portfolio! How do you find the time and energy to monitor each of them effectively. Wouldn't that be a lot of work?

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Wow, one hundred stocks in your portfolio! How do you find the time and energy to monitor each of them effectively. Wouldn't that be a lot of work?

I don't choose it's done by Milford Asset management. They choose the basket of stocks based upon the risk profile that you opt for.

Asterix

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I don't choose it's done by Milford Asset management. They choose the basket of stocks based upon the risk profile that you opt for.
Just curious:

- what is the minimum amount one must invest with them in order to be a client?
- what is their fee structure?
- are they any good in terms of returns?

Thanks...

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Just curious:

- what is the minimum amount one must invest with them in order to be a client?
- what is their fee structure?
- are they any good in terms of returns?

Thanks...

All the info is available at https://milfordasset.com/

The attachment has useful info too.

Attachments

• Milford Investment Funds - Product Disclosure Statement.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 321
Last edited:

SirRichard

Alfrescian
Loyal
ou start your journey and that is to set you goals and start

@Leongsam I just come across this thread. I enjoyed reading the great advice from fellow bros here. Please keep sharing your views and how you intend to get there.

FYI, My thinking is we should not follow the old wisdom of retiring at 65 or 67 because nobody guarantee you can live till that age. Even if you could, by then you are too old to pursue your hobbies. I agree with Boss Sam that retirement is about being able to do something that you truly enjoy , even if it pays lower, rather than to slog your life away till old.

maxsanic

Alfrescian
Loyal
@Leongsam I just come across this thread. I enjoyed reading the great advice from fellow bros here. Please keep sharing your views and how you intend to get there.

FYI, My thinking is we should not follow the old wisdom of retiring at 65 or 67 because nobody guarantee you can live till that age. Even if you could, by then you are too old to pursue your hobbies. I agree with Boss Sam that retirement is about being able to do something that you truly enjoy , even if it pays lower, rather than to slog your life away till old.
The challenge is the career lifespan of the average Singaporean gets shorter and shorter by the year although the official retirement age keeps getting extended. It used to be people simply retired at 55, the official retirement age.

Nowadays we have an official retirement age of 70 but yet companies are letting go people, especially the PMEs, in their early 40s. That's easily another 25 - 30 years left of driving PHV or doing Food Panda till retirement. No joke.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
The challenge is the career lifespan of the average Singaporean gets shorter and shorter by the year although the official retirement age keeps getting extended. It used to be people simply retired at 55, the official retirement age.

Nowadays we have an official retirement age of 70 but yet companies are letting go people, especially the PMEs, in their early 40s. That's easily another 25 - 30 years left of driving PHV or doing Food Panda till retirement. No joke.

Don't plan to retire. Just plan to work till you drop dead. It takes a lot of pressure off. Seriously.

That's my plan now.

Of course I still try my luck with gambling lah. "stock market". "cryptocurrency". "Lotto 649". "Lotto Max". They are pretty much the same thing. If lucky and win a big enough prize then maybe can stop work before dying.

But when I have resigned and accepted just work till die I feel better. Not so stressed and worried. I mean when die already the value of money to me is pointless. And stop work with no money worry about what to spend is torture lah. What for? Those people can travel round the world. Go cruise. Fly business or first class. Sit in nice atas lounge at airports. Go for expensive dinners. I really envy them. There is no way I will ever be able to make that kind of money. Just too bad.

But ok lah. My life is not too bad. Weekends rest and enjoy the Canadian outdoors. Simple life lah. I would advise those younger folks to study the right things go where the money is. Finance is the best. The world will always need finance people whether it is crypto or still currency. As long as there are businesses selling shares. As long as there is need for investment. As long as there are taxes. Will always have one. And these type of industry you can make a lot very fast in short time. Big bonuses.

Do not do the fields that are taking care of people type with no financial component. The "vocations" so to speak. Like medicine. Nursing. Health care aide. Teaching. Child care. Senior care. Physiotherapist. Counselor. Social worker. Domestic maid/caregiver. Taking care of people is the number one most talked up but most poorly paid field in the world. And the trend is remuneration in these fields will continue to fall with time. Don't fall for this absolute lie where they tell you it is noble and all that shit.

I don't see any top top DJIA or S&P 500 corporation that deals with these types of industries correct?

kulgai

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't plan to retire. Just plan to work till you drop dead. It takes a lot of pressure off. Seriously.

That's my plan now.

Of course I still try my luck with gambling lah. "stock market". "cryptocurrency". "Lotto 649". "Lotto Max". They are pretty much the same thing. If lucky and win a big enough prize then maybe can stop work before dying.

But when I have resigned and accepted just work till die I feel better. Not so stressed and worried. I mean when die already the value of money to me is pointless. And stop work with no money worry about what to spend is torture lah. What for? Those people can travel round the world. Go cruise. Fly business or first class. Sit in nice atas lounge at airports. Go for expensive dinners. I really envy them. There is no way I will ever be able to make that kind of money. Just too bad.

But ok lah. My life is not too bad. Weekends rest and enjoy the Canadian outdoors. Simple life lah. I would advise those younger folks to study the right things go where the money is. Finance is the best. The world will always need finance people whether it is crypto or still currency. As long as there are businesses selling shares. As long as there is need for investment. As long as there are taxes. Will always have one. And these type of industry you can make a lot very fast in short time. Big bonuses.

Do not do the fields that are taking care of people type with no financial component. The "vocations" so to speak. Like medicine. Nursing. Health care aide. Teaching. Child care. Senior care. Physiotherapist. Counselor. Social worker. Domestic maid/caregiver. Taking care of people is the number one most talked up but most poorly paid field in the world. And the trend is remuneration in these fields will continue to fall with time. Don't fall for this absolute lie where they tell you it is noble and all that shit.

I don't see any top top DJIA or S&P 500 corporation that deals with these types of industries correct?
well if nobody wants to do nursing,Health care aide, Teaching, Child care, Senior care, Physiotherapist, Counselor, Social worker, Domestic maid/caregiver... all of us will be fucked one way or another lol

SirRichard

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have met far more people and gained a much wider circle of friends since I retired. The friends you make in a work environment are a very narrow segment of a very wide world.

All my current friends are the ones I have met in the course of pursuing my hobbies and my business interests.

Retirement isn't about stopping work. It's about stopping the job you are paid to do and indulging in work that you love doing instead.

My typical day :

1. Wake up...morning coffee... forum maintenance, remove spam... clear moderation queue.. check server logs for suspicious activity, post a few messages etc.

2. Take dog for walk.

3. Meet friends at cafe for brunch.

4. Business meetings.

5. Hobby activities..eg photography plus recently got into woodwork.

6. Exercise.

7. Watch the programs that I recorded on my sky box the day before.

8. Dinner.. usually with friends.

8. Take dog for another walk.

9. Internet/computer stuff again.. essential updates, maintenance, chat with friends and business associates overseas.

10. Bed time.

The activities don't necessarily follow that order exactly but that is a typical day.

Every 6 months, I go for a short business / holiday trip combined.... Singapore, US, Thailand, Australia, France etc.
this is excatly my definition of retirement - It's about stopping the job you are paid to do and indulging in work that you love doing instead.

SirRichard

Alfrescian
Loyal
And Singapore is the easiest place in the world to achieve financial independence.

If not for my silly mistake I made a decade ago, today I would be financially independent using just half the grey matter I have.

The government of Singapore makes it so bloody easy to achieve our life's goals.
Bro, Care to elaborate why it it?

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
well if nobody wants to do nursing,Health care aide, Teaching, Child care, Senior care, Physiotherapist, Counselor, Social worker, Domestic maid/caregiver... all of us will be fucked one way or another lol
That's where we are heading to.

But there will always be people with good hearts who have no desire for money. Maybe the very rich.

In the olden days it was the nobles who took are of their peers. Noblemen were the ones trained as physicians. The health care peopel were taken care of by the nobles in their work. In turn nobles helped the poor.

That should be the way.

Let people like Elon Musk and Warren Buffett and Zuckerberg and Gates be physicians and surgeons.

There should be a case for only billionaires and their offspring can be drs.

SirRichard

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yesterday I reached a milestone. My net worth, excluding the house I live in, has finally reached $10 million.

It was a long haul and not as easy as I thought it would be. While there were no major setbacks or reversal of fortunes, it turned out to be a marathon rather than a sprint to the finish because of plunging returns since 2009.

I therefore had no choice but to remain productive rather than simply relying on capital gain and compound interest to reach the goal I had set myself a decade ago.

The most satisfying part of this journey is that I managed to do with pretty much with zero risk. I stuck to property (40%), term deposits (35%) and a variety of investments funds including CPF (25%). Thank you Mdm Ho for the excellent returns despite the low interest environment that has enveloped the world.

Property was the best performing of all followed by investment funds. Term deposits have been steady but very slow because of the very low interest rates that have prevailed over the last decade.

With hindsight, which is always 20/20, I should have put a lot more into property but because managing tenancies is such a pain I stopped at 4 and have not had the energy to go house hunting in recent years. There are many dodgy buildings out there as a result of wishy, washy and inconsistent building codes plus in NZ there are always compliance issues eg earthquake proofing that can result in additional capital outlays to get the properties up to scratch.

Finally my work contributed to the portfolio growth by paying all the bills and therefore removing the need for me to dip into the portfolio to cover my overheads.

Looking back my biggest regret has been setting my goals way too low. I wanted to accumulate sufficient capital to enable me to lead a comfortable middle class existence ie, house, car, dog, hobbies, sports, holidays etc and that is exactly what I got. Would more money have made me any happier? I actually doubt it but it would have been great to have been able to afford a small private jet as it would have removed all the restrictions and hassle that I have to put up with at airports. However I have worked out that I would need a net worth of at least $40 million the enter the league of private jet/yacht owning elite. In my next life perhaps.

It's been a great journey. I'll cruise for a couple of years and hope that my health holds up. I'll then decide how I'm going to give away the money.

In the meantime if anyone in the USA can advise me how to donate to the Trump re-election campaign I'd be extremely grateful. He is the best President ever.

PS: I have to add this footnote. I owe everything to the PAP. They taught me that there is no such thing as a free lunch and also the motto "you die your business". It instilled a value of self reliance that has kept me in good stead till today.

Congratulation Boss Sam. This is so inspiring. I have some questions for you:

1) 75% of your portfolio are in quite conservative investment - term and cpf. Does that mean your property had appreciated many folds? If not, it would mean your initial investment is huge to begin with?

2) At what age, age range did you achieve this? 40-45, 46-50, 51-55,56-60?

3) How many years did it take you to reach this figure, what was your starting point in amount?

4) If you were to start again right now, in current investment climate, what are the 3 things that you would do differently.

Thank you once again for sharing. I wish you continued success and good health.