• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The Irrational Fear and the cost of the Wuhan Virus, Is it worth it?

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Doctors do absolutely nothing to treat the root cause of insomnia. Sleeping tablets don't induce proper sleep. All they do is cause dementia after long term use.

Often times there is no "root cause".

Actually we do try to check a bit. Like sleep study. See if there is OSA. Screen for mental health issues.

I see a lot of insomnia patients now. And I will say doses of THC between 1.25mg to 7.5mg will help 99% of insomnia patients have a good sleep with no hangovers and side effects.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
I am very lucky to have found work in medical cannabis. Instead of figuring out what illness you have, taking long history, do tests, diagnosing and then trying to sell you what treatment you should have I now see patients coming go ask if ONE form of treatment would suit them and help treat their SYMPTOMS ( not disease or illness).

And even if it might not I can still say you know what if you really still want can try CBD. Very safe if doesnr work minimal loss to you.

Perfect man. Always have happy patients. Those who dont want and dont like cannabis will never come to see me in the first place. Although I will admit I have seen 2 patients who crazy one. Come to see me and say they dont want cannabis. Well the visit was over very quickly. Lol! I am not here to sell anything to you. You want I will talk to you. You dont want? Ok no need to stay any longer bye.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Often times there is no "root cause".

Actually we do try to check a bit. Like sleep study. See if there is OSA. Screen for mental health issues.

I see a lot of insomnia patients now. And I will say doses of THC between 1.25mg to 7.5mg will help 99% of insomnia patients have a good sleep with no hangovers and side effects.

I speak from personal experience.

3 years ago I had a sudden onset of insomnia. I went to the doctor and of course the sleeping pills were offered as a solution

I started doing my own research and found that most sleep disorders are psychological in nature. I analysed my own situation and realised that my mind was stuck in a loop of negativity after losing close friends to cancer and heart disease.

I found the solution to my insomnia in the Apple app store. I started using an app called "Headspace" and within a couple or weeks I was sleeping like a baby again. I flushed all the sleeping pills down the toilet and have not looked back.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Yes the flu left me bedridden for 4 days with high fever and I felt close to death. I also lost 3kg and I'm already skin and bone so I ended up looking like a jew in a Nazi concentration camp.

Anyone that suggests just letting the flu run its course obviously does not know what flu actually it is.

As for the cost of Tamiflu I would happily pay $1000 per tablet if it was going to prevent the terrible suffering I went through.

You may have had an early version of the WuFlu or even a version of SARS.

I suspect one of my really bad flu episodes was really dengue.

I had chills, whole body aches, shivers, and high fever. It was so bad i actually lost interest in sex!

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
I speak from personal experience.

3 years ago I had a sudden onset of insomnia. I went to the doctor and of course the sleeping pills were offered as a solution

I started doing my own research and found that most sleep disorders are psychological in nature. I analysed my own situation and realised that my mind was stuck in a loop of negativity after losing close friends to cancer and heart disease.

I found the solution to my insomnia in the Apple app store. I started using an app called "Headspace" and within a couple or weeks I was sleeping like a baby again. I flushed all the sleeping pills down the toilet and have not looked back.

Boss sam......unfortunately the whole business of doctoring isnr about actually fixing root causes and what not.

It is about giving patients what they want and what they come for.

If I told all my patients who have insomnia no dont take sleeping pills your problem is in your head all psychological dont take pills! Download this app called Headspace. I bet you they will say this is an awful doctor who doesnt understand mh problems and dismissed my concerns!

Of course if a patient asked me hey I dont want to take pills what do you think of this app Headspace I will say actually that is really worth a try man. Better than pills!

Again the key is to agree with the patient and support what they want to do. But the majority come in looking for a quick fix and some pills to help sleep. Gauge what your customer wants.

Nobody at the apple store tries to sell windows laptops right?

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
You may have had an early version of the WuFlu or even a version of SARS.

I suspect one of my really bad flu episodes was really dengue.

I had chills, whole body aches, shivers, and high fever. It was so bad i actually lost interest in sex!
Possible dengue since it is endemic in sinkieland.

But dengue is really no joke ok. Your platelets drop. You can bleed to death if your platelets drop below 10k.

Another key for dengue is a rash. You put your hand on the back can see the white imprint of the hand
And the rash comes on after the fever breaks.

I doubt yours was dengue lah.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
My flu was so bad I lost interest in LIFE! I really wished death would relieve me of my suffering.

Well sam.....although we say the covid19 has a very low rate of severe illness those who kena will feel like that too. Plus difficulty breathing. No joke ok.

This is why people do get afraid. Cos it is really bad suffering!

It is not quite the same as being in a car accident and dying. Or break leg etc. The illness from these severe viral infections is over a period and suffering for days maybe weeks then maybe also die. Painful quite slow death.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Boss sam......unfortunately the whole business of doctoring isnr about actually fixing root causes and what not.

It is about giving patients what they want and what they come for.

If I told all my patients who have insomnia no dont take sleeping pills your problem is in your head all psychological dont take pills! Download this app called Headspace. I bet you they will say this is an awful doctor who doesnt understand mh problems and dismissed my concerns!

Of course if a patient asked me hey I dont want to take pills what do you think of this app Headspace I will say actually that is really worth a try man. Better than pills!

Again the key is to agree with the patient and support what they want to do. But the majority come in looking for a quick fix and some pills to help sleep. Gauge what your customer wants.

Nobody at the apple store tries to sell windows laptops right?

I fully understand how doctors operate. :smile:

When my cholesterol levels went up to what my doctor thought were unhealthy levels he said he'd prescribe statins. I said I didn't want statins and that I'd bring it down through diet modification.

3 months later I did a follow up blood test and the readings were now well within the healthy range. All I did was cut out all dairy, bacon etc and ramped up my consumption of oats, wheat etc.

I asked my doctor why he did not suggest diet modification in the first place. His answer is that the majority of his patients preferred to pop a pill rather than modify their behavior and habits so he thought I would fall into that category too.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
I fully understand how doctors operate. :smile:

When my cholesterol levels went up to what my doctor thought were unhealthy levels he said he'd prescribe statins. I said I didn't want statins and that I'd bring it down through diet modification.

3 months later I did a follow up blood test and the readings were now well within the healthy range. All I did was cut out all dairy, bacon etc and ramped up my consumption of oats, wheat etc.

I asked my doctor why he did not suggest diet modification in the first place. His answer is that the majority of his patients preferred to pop a pill rather than modify their behavior and habits so he thought I would fall into that category too.
Exactly!

Hey no joke ok. Try talking to most people about cutting out bacon.....they will say hey dr isnt there an easier way? I could have gone to a naturopath or my MLM supplement distributor if I wanted to hear all this diet mumbo jumbo.

It is also why they still have drugs like champix that is probably 99% ineffective in helping patients quit smoking.

All the patients I have seen who quit smoking just quit on their own. No need for any medication go help urges.

And those who said yeah I want champix (varenicline) 99% will later say it didnt work.

Lol.

Would I still prescribe champix if a patient wanted it? Of course!

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes flu shot is free here in Calgary too. So we all have the shot annually. Risk of complications is low. So little to lose. Lots to gain.

The flu is no joke. Actual influenza. Very severe high fever and muscle ache.

The "flu" that sinkies refer to is often just the common cold lah. If you have the actual full blown influenza virus high chance you get hospitalized cos your family dunno how to take care of you liao. You have no strength to even walk to toilet! Shit and pee in the bed.
So why the big fuss over the Wuhan virus when the ang mor winter flu is worse?

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
me would suggest you pay a visit to ground zero now... better still, assist those health care workers there for a days... and you'll know why.. :geek:
The reason why there is a ground zero is because everyone is locked up in a city. instead of serious cases going to hospital n the not so I'll staying home to rest perpetuating the virus even more

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
COVID-19 outbreak begins to disrupt booming China drug trials
COVID-19 vaccine
Doctor Paul McKay, who is working on a vaccine for the COVID-19, uses a microscope to look at bacteria containing coronavirus in a research lab at Imperial College School of Medicine (ICSM) in London. Tolga AKMEN/AFP
13 Feb 2020 02:13AM
(Updated: 13 Feb 2020 02:13AM)
Bookmark
NEW YORK: The fast-spreading coronavirus is starting to disrupt testing of experimental medicines in China, posing a threat to plans by global drug manufacturers that have invested billions of dollars to harness the potential of the Asian economic powerhouse.

The US clinical trials database lists nearly 500 studies with a site in the city of Wuhan, which has endured the brunt of an outbreak that has killed more than 1,100 people and infected more than 44,000 in China.

About 20 per cent of global trials are now conducted in China, up from about 10 per cent just five years ago, according to GlobalData Plc.

READ: Scientists race to develop vaccine for new coronavirus
China has imposed a virtual lockdown on Wuhan and severely restricted travel in its wider province of Hubei and some other cities.

While it is too early in the outbreak first detected in December to fully assess its impact on clinical trials, if it goes on much longer the pharmaceutical industry's China strategy is likely to be disrupted.

Virus-curbing efforts by the government have made it difficult for trial patients to reach hospitals running studies, according to interviews with two contract research organisations that conduct trials for drugmakers, local drug companies and doctors.

Others fear becoming infected if they return to a healthcare facility for a trial.

"Hospitals aren't focused on clinical trials right now," said Ian Woo, president and chief financial officer of Everest Medicines, which is developing drugs for the Chinese market. "They have plenty of other things to be focused on."

The outbreak has delayed the launch of new studies, and research organisations like dMed Biopharmaceutical Co said they have been unable to send staff to monitor trial sites.

Affected ongoing studies include trials testing a Novartis medicine for a rare blood disorder, a cancer drug from BeiGene Ltd and a treatment for a type of spinal arthritis from Chinese drugmaker Tasly Pharmaceutical Group, according to doctors involved.

Beijing-based BeiGene, which has more than 20 trials ongoing in Wuhan, said it was working to minimise potential delays and disruptions, but that it was "too early to speculate on any specific impact on our clinical trial and commercial progress in China."

Other drugmakers with trials in China, including Roche, Zai Lab Ltd and Hutchison China MediTech Ltd (Chi-Med), also said it was too soon to speculate on the outbreak's consequences. But the impact is being felt.

READ: Singapore working with international body to develop vaccine for novel coronavirus
Shenghao Tu, who is working on the Tasly clinical trial in Wuhan, said the study in his hospital has been suspended.

"This is a problem that (we) never encountered before," Tu said.

The issue is not limited to Wuhan.

Two doctors testing the BeiGene cancer drug tislelizumab in Beijing and Guangzhou city said efforts to contain the virus have hampered patient enrollment and capacity.

Both their hospitals now require that each room hold only one patient to prevent cross-infection, reducing the number they can accommodate.

The delays are disrupting a booming, homegrown pharmaceutical industry China hopes will supply its domestic market and compete globally.

INTERNATIONAL INVESTMENT

International drugmakers including Britain-based AstraZeneca Plc, Swiss drugmaker Roche Holding, US biotech Amgen Inc and Switzerland's Novartis AG have made big investments, hoping to benefit from cheaper trial costs in China, access to large patient populations and the ability to identify new drugs for Asian markets.

Amgen last year agreed to pay US$2.7 billion for a 20.5 per cent stake in BeiGene to develop cancer drugs for the Chinese market. A few weeks later, BeiGene in November became the first drugmaker to receive US approval for a cancer therapy based on trials conducted largely in China.

Amgen research chief David Reese said at the time BeiGene has built "one of the premier clinical trial platforms in China," noting its strong relationships with trial investigators and regulators.

Deals and joint ventures between international companies and China-based biotechs surged to at least US$10 billion in 2019, from about US$3.2 billion in 2015, according to a Reuters analysis of GlobalData information.

BeiGene's chief advisor Eric Hedrick sees the potential for more lucrative deals for his company.

"We think that there are other companies out there, like Amgen, who have the same sort of ambitions where BeiGene would make a good partner," Hedrick said in an interview prior to the outbreak.

BETTING ON RESILIENCE

The surge in investment followed years of effort by Chinese regulators to elevate healthcare facilities to match global standards and increase the role China-run trials play in U.S. and European drug approval decisions.

Brad Loncar, chief executive of Loncar Investments who created a fund that tracks the Chinese pharmaceutical industry, said the epidemic could delay deals in the short run.

Longer term, investors expect the outbreak will prompt China "to accelerate its plans to really modernize its drug and healthcare sector," he said.

Amgen said it had not yet seen disruptions to BeiGene operations. Novartis said it was monitoring the situation and would handle any disruptions. Tasly declined comment.

Much will depend on how long the outbreak lasts, particularly for trials set to begin later this year and ongoing studies that will take years to complete.

Chi-Med Chief Executive Christian Hogg was optimistic about a resolution. "This a relatively new phenomenon ... and China is a resourceful country," he said.

Roche, which last year opened a drug development centre in Shanghai, sees China as key to its strategy to get new treatments to the global market.

"You can imagine the large number of patients (in China)," Jing He, head of Roche's Shanghai pharmaceutical development center, told Reuters. "We will be able to enroll patients faster."

For now, that may not be the case.

A doctor working on a study of Novartis' eltrombopag for severe aplastic anemia who asked to remain anonymous because he is not authorised to speak with media, told Reuters the trial could be slowed due to patient recruiting obstacles. Some patients are not allowed to travel from their cities to qualified hospitals for required screening procedures, he said.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
With clowns like u queuing up for masks n stocking up. The virus will spread even more in singkieland and it will be the same as wuhan
Still say no big deal no need mask why you care people stockpile masks etc? Clearly somebody is not being honest here. :rolleyes:

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
Still say no big deal no need mask why you care people stockpile masks etc? Clearly somebody is not being honest here. :rolleyes:
I am saying wat is the difference between the flu n the wuhan virus? N since flu is deadlier than the wuhan virus. Why flu dont warrant such quarantine procedures like the wuhan virus. ? So u make comments just to seek attention?

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am saying wat is the difference between the flu n the wuhan virus? N since flu is deadlier than the wuhan virus. Why flu dont warrant such quarantine procedures like the wuhan virus. ? So u make comments just to seek attention?
Flu have condo security guard wear hazmat suits? Beijing already like that u tell me they the same huh. No different from flu. Right. :rolleyes:

ChanRasjid

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Forumners,

I am normally reserved about creating New Threads but due to the over reactions caused by the Wuhan Virus and the fact that its fatality rate is lower than the flu. I will post and comment on the disruptions the Wuhan Virus has caused and the illogical reactions by the people which results in the blind following the blind. Also the cost due to fear of the virus on the world economy which boils down to people's livelihood...Is it worth it?
Wuhan virus "fatality rate is lower than the flu" is downright misinformation. In another thread, I have clearly debunked the new "findings" about how "deadly" the flu is. They lump together 650,000 yearly death globally due to "influenza-related respiratory illnesses" - not the flu itself. But those flu vaccine salesmen and "quaranteen experts", etc would say : "globally, 650,000 die of the flu yearly". This is utter nonsense: The Chinese CDC figure for flu is : 2018, 700,000 cases with 147 death, giving a mortality of 0.02 %.

Why do you people keep on harping how deadly the seasonal flu is? The Wuhan epidemic is a totally different contagion.

Chan Rasjid.

"Chemical Analysis Of Plain Distilled Water May Refute Mass-Energy Conservation Of E=mc²"
"The Relativistic Mechanics of E=mc² Fails"; E=mc² is wrong.
"Is Mass Spectrometry Accurate"; Penning trap cannot measure atomic mass.
"Coulomb Electric Gravity"; gravity is all Coulomb electric.
http://www.emc2fails.com