• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The investment thread (Finally)

allanckk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Crystal,

Gold is a good investment only if you take a long term view and when you have spare cash to put aside. This certainly not the kind of investment where you will be monitoring year in year out! Buy enough with your spare cash! So, no need to time the market will be my humble opinion. Accumulate it along the years will be my advice. I am teaching my kids to buy gold with their saved pocket money (excess cash that they dont foresee using) rather than saving it in the bank.

Cheers,
N

hi,

can share how to use CPF account to buy GOLD?

sgtsk

Alfrescian
Loyal
hi,

can share how to use CPF account to buy GOLD?

I checked more than 5 years ago and was told only UOB offer CPF gold investment products. You have to open or transfer your cpf investment account to UOB to be able to carry out CPF gold investment.

1nottiboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thinking of buying land in JB. zoned for residential. about 100k sqft. any one have any views? any pitfalls to look out for?

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Thinking of buying land in JB. zoned for residential. about 100k sqft. any one have any views? any pitfalls to look out for?

Sure be ok actually but look out for the price from the valuer/bank valuer as well as check in with the owner. Check accessibility/amenities as well as type of land (valuer will let you know)

IskandarRocks

Alfrescian
Loyal
Stronger Iskandar Malaysia thematic seen post-election

Analyst Reports

PROPERTY SECTOR

By Maybank IB Research

Neutral (unchanged)

WE maintain a “neutral” stance, with positive bias. Developers with large exposure in Iskandar Malaysia have seen strong investor interest since December 2012.

This follows news flow of rising foreign investments and the proposed JB-Singapore Rapid Transit System (RTS) by 2018, which would be positive for property prices.

Land banks at Iskandar Malaysia should re-rate further with the listing of Iskandar Waterfront Holdings (IWH) in the fourth quarter of 2013. Post-general election, we think the Iskandar Malaysia thematic will become stronger.

Any weakness in share prices following the dissolution of Parliament thus offers opportunities to accumulate. Our picks are UEM Land and Sunway.

IWH, the third-largest landowner in Iskandar Malaysia after UEM Land and Genting Plantations, could be the second-largest listed developer by market cap on Bursa Malaysia after UEM Land.

The listing could re-rate other existing players, depending on the values assigned to IWH's land bank on listing and the realisable net asset value of its projects in Iskandar Malaysia.

We see UEM Land as the best alternative to IWH, given its similar government-linked shareholding, product offering and close proximity to IWH's land bank.

Other alternatives are Sunway, Crescendo, Tebrau and Mulpha International.

Iskandar Malaysia stands out as a compelling and convenient investment destination for Singaporean companies due to its close proximity to the island.

Warmer bilateral ties and policies friendly to foreign investment have attracted considerable investment in Iskandar Malaysia thus far, including from CapitaLand, Ascendas and Temasek.

Their investments, which have raised Iskandar Malaysia's profile at the international level, should attract more foreign and Singaporean investments into Iskandar Malaysia in future.

RTS and High-Speed Rail (HSR) are positive for property prices. The proposed RTS and KL-Singapore HSR, which will improve connectivity and shorten travelling time between Johor Baru-Singapore and KL-Singapore, will further boost Iskandar Malaysia' profile as a lower-cost alternative location to Singapore.

As the authorities release more information on the location of the RTS (Thomson line-Tanjung Puteri) and HSR (Nusajaya) stations, we expect demand for properties nearby to surge.

The biggest beneficiaries are IWH (RTS) and UEM Land (HSR).

Recent land transactions at record prices (for example, Country Garden's land in Danga Bay transacted at RM376 per sq ft) will re-rate property and land prices in Iskandar Malaysia and are positive for existing landowners.

Property prices at Iskandar Malaysia will be further lifted by a better transportation system (RTS tram system and HSR).

butadesu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Some very rough estimates and pls correct me if I'm wrong.
Condos in woodlands area is about 750~850psf.
HDB in Woodlands area is about 350~400psf
S$350~400psf is about RM$875~1000psf.

Therefore to buy a unit in JB at >RM$1000 psf is quite risky.
Especially if it is for rental cash flows.
With Mr Khaw saying, HDB intend to lower new BTO prices.
The risk is even higher.

What do all of you think?? Please offer your opinions.
Thanks

Last edited:

GilaPH

Alfrescian
Loyal
saw this under UOB FAQ section

Q17.
Can I use my CPF for a GSA transaction? Will I be given a passbook?
A17.
Yes, you may use CPF to buy, subject to your available gold limit and rules of the CPF investment scheme.

A GSA passbook will not be given to you. Your gold holdings with UOB are reflected in your CPF Investment Account monthly statement.

If the request for the fund for the gold purchase is rejected, the customer will have to pay cash. If the customer does not have the cash, then he/she would have to sell the gold to the Bank and pay for the difference in the price movement between the contracted price and the Bank’s prevailing purchase price.

GilaPH

Alfrescian
Loyal
saw this under UOB FAQ section

Q17.
Can I use my CPF for a GSA transaction? Will I be given a passbook?
A17.
Yes, you may use CPF to buy, subject to your available gold limit and rules of the CPF investment scheme.

A GSA passbook will not be given to you. Your gold holdings with UOB are reflected in your CPF Investment Account monthly statement.

If the request for the fund for the gold purchase is rejected, the customer will have to pay cash. If the customer does not have the cash, then he/she would have to sell the gold to the Bank and pay for the difference in the price movement between the contracted price and the Bank’s prevailing purchase price.

My question:

Why would someone's request to buy gold be rejected? If reject then pay diff in cash?Not fair leh........