• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The giant Green Spot bottle by the road -side.......

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
thanks for these nostalgic moments guys, (esp to Kohlian and 136) some of it I've never known or seen pics of - pity we don't see much of Postnew these days as he may have some nuggets to share. Can only remember the Cathay due to the large and colourful TORAY signage.

Toray...Nylon the huge sign that one cannot miss...

THE_CHANSTER

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The Standard Chartered Bank Bukit Timah Branch is closed I believe, there was an armed robbery with firearms that happened in that branch, when it was The Chartered Bank..one of the bank employees was shot. This was years ago..

I remember there being a bank robbery a few years back but wasn't this the MayBank branch next to Beauty World Centre?

I think the Standard Chartered Bank along Upper Bukit Timah Rd is still in operation or are you referring to another incident?

lee6100

Alfrescian
Loyal
thanks for these nostalgic moments guys, (esp to Kohlian and 136) some of it I've never known or seen pics of - pity we don't see much of Postnew these days as he may have some nuggets to share. Can only remember the Cathay due to the large and colourful TORAY signage.

1967+National+Advert+@+N+Bridge+Rd.JPG

"Those Who Know, Buy National" - North Bridge Road.

Last edited:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thanks for the info.

There was another bank robbery, this time again, Chartered Bank or Standard Chartered Bank now at 6 Battery Road...the robbers stake out the place, they robbed the dispatch people boxes of what they were carrying...in which they thought was currency notes etc to go to Commissioner of Currency...but instead they were delivering cheques to the clearing house....

dumb robbers...there was one, who tried to rob the securicor van, which again was carrying printed fixed deposits paper & other security papers...bank robberies are unheard of today....

Last edited:

Semaj2357

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
View attachment 11245

"Those Who Know, Buy National" - North Bridge Road.

thanks Lee, may have seen these when much younger during dining at Swee Kee and chuan loh in Middle road and had to pass by Jubilee and Odean theatres. Recall that most signages were vertical like Bata, Rado etc. Unless at an angle, hard to see the tall signages in my old man's ford capri...

>>Toray...Nylon the huge sign that one cannot miss... << yes Hal, even recall the advert jingle spelling the toray and ending with "so - o"...Brands like grundig, nakamichi, kelvinator etc were popular then.

lee6100

Alfrescian
Loyal
>>Toray...Nylon the huge sign that one cannot miss... << yes Hal, even recall the advert jingle spelling the toray and ending with "so - o"...Brands like grundig, nakamichi, kelvinator etc were popular then.[/QUOTE]

There's also the cinema advert with the jingle for Teijin Teteron. Yes, brands like Telefunken too.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
a&w ... Coney Dog!
I used to work there... a long time ago, in a galaxy far far away.... Tuesdays were Coney Day, and there were also the Root Beer Floats in frosted mugs.

OH CONEY DOG! I miss ya!!..yummmy , it is just bun, sausage & the chopped white onions & meat sauce...but dunno why? I miss ya!

Last edited:

jw5

Loyal
someone should bring A&W back. i'm getting sick of macs, kfc and burger king.

you can always eat at wendy's, carl's junior, popeye's, texas fried chicken, or gasp! jollilbee etc.
or don't eat fast food, better still.................... :biggrin:

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
a&w ... Coney Dog!
I used to work there... a long time ago, in a galaxy far far away.... Tuesdays were Coney Day, and there were also the Root Beer Floats in frosted mugs.

Coney dog was damn cool....remembered it was wrapped in silver foil.
Bro posted bukit merah....orange julius at the cinema also deserves mention for their hotdogs.
Now I think get hotdog fix at superdogs in vivo.

ablekid

Alfrescian
Loyal
Talking about reminiscing, does anyone remember a tyre factory where they had made a huge rubber tyre man? I think it should have been in the jurong industrial estate - along jalan ahmad ibrahim towards jurong bird park; I remember always seeing it as a kid. Either dunlop or bridgestone tyres?

Yes that was Bridgestone factory built in 1966 one of the first few factory in newly developed jurong industial estate.