• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The ABCs of Thai Politics

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Over the years, I have noticed people posting on Thai politics and this includes foreigners with little or no knowledge on what exactly is happening.
Firstly its is not even a constitutional monarchy in practice. Its basically a monarchy guised in the form of democracy.

The King decides who actually can form government or remain in government.

The lest Majeste laws effectively prevents any dissent or even discussion on the subject. For decades, the world did not intervene or comment as it was benevolent king who generally looked after his people. His instrument of power has been the army and dynasty decends from the army.

Thaksin made one mistake. He became popular with the rural voters as this has always been the preserve of the King and in particular the queen. Nothing happens to the rural sector without royal blessings with every project either initiated by the royal family or claimed to have been initiated by the royal family.

The present uprising by the PAD is no different from the ones that overthrew Thaksin and led to the coup and martial rule for nearly a year.

When elections were held, the Thai people again elected the same bunch minus Thaksin. The King and army were naturally surprised by the outcome. The "People's" revolution was not exactly the People after all.

PAD does not have the support of the people and its doing the bidding of the King.

By the way, during the 1997 asian financial crisis which actually started in the Bangkok bourse courtesy of Citibank, the king lost a fortune via his control on the Crown Property Bureau whose assets have a marked resemblence in portfolio structure like our own version Crown Properties called Temasek. The best known are Siam Commercial Bank and Siam Cement. Guess who refinanced the Crown Property Bureau in a one way transaction - the Treasury.

Notice that King who is much loved by the people does not intervene when coups occur except on a few cases. If you know the game, you will know which coups have the kings consent and which does not.

For those who are keen, one good reference is the unauthorised biography of the King by Paul Handley. Very comprehensive.

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
Over the years, I have noticed people posting on Thai politics and this includes foreigners with little or no knowledge on what exactly is happening.
Firstly its is not even a constitutional monarchy in practice. Its basically a monarchy guised in the form of democracy.

The lest Majeste laws effectively prevents any dissent or even discussion on the subject. For decades, the world did not intervene or comment as it was benevolent king who generally looked after his people. His instrument of power has been the army and dynasty decends from the army.

Thaksin made one mistake. He became popular with the rural voters as this has always been the preserve of the King and in particular the queen. Nothing happens to the rural sector without royal blessings with every project either initiated by the royal family or claimed to have been initiated by the royal family.

The one in bold, is an unwritten truth.

The only way they can shut your mouth is to tell you, you cannot say anything bad about the King, because its disrespectful.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The one in bold, is an unwritten truth.

The only way they can shut your mouth is to tell you, you cannot say anything bad about the King, because its disrespectful.
The sad part is that our gifted people in Temasek did not know the power equation. The Singapore Government Intelligience Services also failed in making the appropriate assessment as this involves State Funds. I think they spent their time looking at minute details such as if the crown prince has aids or not. To make it worse, they appointed a Thai General to act as the Liaision who unknown to them had lost his clout.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Well said. Even though I'm not Thai, I feel too Thaisized to utter that. I may lose friends and girlfriends for saying that. :biggrin:

BlueCat

Alfrescian
Loyal
ultimately,anyone who want to form a government still have to get the blessing of the King.
else the government will not stay long.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well said. Even though I'm not Thai, I feel too Thaisized to utter that. I may lose friends and girlfriends for saying that. :biggrin:

MNCs operating in Thailand have paid retainers in the form of a retired general to act on their behalf in case toes have been stepped on. As a rule any assessment paper that involves Thai politics will not have a native Thai as party to the assessment as they will not commit and it places unnecessary burden on them.

They are however one of the nicest people on this earth, comparable to the Kiwis, Canadians and the Balinese.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Upon travel advisory from my Thai friends, I just cancelled my trip to Thailand this afternoon. :(

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
Upon travel advisory from my Thai friends, I just cancelled my trip to Thailand this afternoon. :(

I was just thinking of either going Hua Hin or Phuket next month. But guess till they settle their nation (would take months), don't think I will want to go there, when they can just block the roads to airports forcing them to close. At least its still way better than communist Myanmar

suteerak1099

Alfrescian
Loyal
a blessing in disguise that caused me to postpone all travel plans to LOS in the last quarter, n the recent string of drama has helped me put off travel plans till next yr. i could be wrong, bt i speculate that the THB will inevitably drop a few notches in lieu of the current orgies.

at the end of the day, biz as usual, the messier the situation, the more opportunities shall surface in due time...

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
..Thaksin made one mistake. He became popular with the rural voters as this has always been the preserve of the King and in particular the queen. Nothing happens to the rural sector without royal blessings with every project either initiated by the royal family or claimed to have been initiated by the royal family.
The present uprising by the PAD is no different from the ones that overthrew Thaksin and led to the coup and martial rule for nearly a year.
Monarchy in thai social, political fabric is speaking of the obvious. But I do not subscribe to the bit on Thaksin's mistake on popularity stakes with rural populace. He carried their votes, with social programs (eg soft loans, medical etc). Royal projects for rural, agricultural sectors can co-exist.

No apologist for Thaksin, but plain fact is that he was up against the Bkk elite. And as we all know, sellout of his AIS had negative repercussions (even extending to this red dot here).

As for Samak, he's ROT.. damned if he goes for hardline, damned if he does not (weak govt). And powerful military's not cushy with him either. So question is how long can he last, quit or snap elections?

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
No apologist for Thaksin, but plain fact is that he was up against the Bkk elite. And as we all know, sellout of his AIS had negative repercussions (even extending to this red dot here).

As for Samak, he's ROT..

Where to find an unrotten apple?

As for snap elections, this is the umpteenth time in this couple of years to have elections again and again and again.
So what if PPP wins again? the minority who are not happy will still not respect the results and take to streets

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
...thinking of either going Hua Hin or Phuket ..don't think I will want to go there, when they can just block the roads to airports forcing them to close. At least its still way better than communist Myanmar
Ramseth said:
just cancelled my trip to Thailand this afternoon
Here since last fri. Tumultous the last few days may have been for Samak and PAD, life in the city of angels (outside the hot spots govt house and police HQ) appears to be normal. Phuket airport's since re-opened, but think train services to outside country still "derailed". Saw this funny bit on utilities union threatening to cut supplies to police HQ for their skirmish role.

By any luck, I may get marooned here with my etd tomorrow:p:biggrin: Oh oh, what will my bosses and OC say?
suteerak1099 said:
could be wrong, bt i speculate that the THB will inevitably drop a few notches in lieu of the current orgies...messier the situation, the more opportunities shall surface in due time...
No wish upon thais more grief or woes. But I think bht movement must also be seen in tandem with USD (especially former's appreciation of late)

Last edited:

pia

Alfrescian
Loyal
As for Samak, he's ROT.. damned if he goes for hardline, damned if he does not (weak govt). And powerful military's not cushy with him either. So question is how long can he last, quit or snap elections?

IF he goes, another rot probably takes his place, in the form of Banharn. Abhisit of the Democrats got no support from the North and Isarn, and he's inexperienced anyway. So it's a sad state.

The King is still a constant, the politicians variables.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Here since last fri. Tumultous the last few days may have been for Samak and PAD, life in the city of angels (outside the hot spots govt house and police HQ) appears to be normal. Phuket airport's since re-opened, but think train services to outside country still "derailed". Saw this funny bit on utilities union threatening to cut supplies to police HQ for their skirmish role.

By any luck, I may get marooned here with my etd tomorrow:p:biggrin: Oh oh, what will my bosses and OC say?

Cut power supply to police station? :biggrin: That's a good one.

Anyway, Phuket isn't such a bad place to get marooned. Plenty of hotel rooms, laundry shops, eating joints and internet cafes. Drink yourself silly at Thanon Bangla, then go back to room to snore soundly. Just don't be surprised who you wake up with. LOL!

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
No wish upon thais more grief or woes. But I think bht movement must also be seen in tandem with USD (especially former's appreciation of late)

If the thb drops, more FLs to be seen in FL Dome. Plus, with their current situation persisting, more FLs will still flock overseas esp singapore for short term work

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
IF he goes, another rot probably takes his place, in the form of Banharn. Abhisit of the Democrats got no support from the North and Isarn, and he's inexperienced anyway. So it's a sad state.

The King is still a constant, the politicians variables.

He is ever present, that is why the people are too dependable. wants democracy but coup is allowed. This is communism in disguise

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
He is ever present, that is why the people are too dependable. wants democracy but coup is allowed. This is communism in disguise

More accurately, it's absolute monarchy in disguise. Which democracy in the world has its army taking instruction from the monarch instead of the cabinet?

pia

Alfrescian
Loyal
More accurately, it's absolute monarchy in disguise. Which democracy in the world has its army taking instruction from the monarch instead of the cabinet?

Like our Lee monarchy? :wink:I don't believe our cabinet can make that decision unless the Lee monarchy endorses too