• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The ABCs of Thai Politics

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
More accurately, it's absolute monarchy in disguise. Which democracy in the world has its army taking instruction from the monarch instead of the cabinet?

in thailand, the way we say can be considered treason. utter disrespect they would say. but then who dares when you can be thrown into prison for 20 years or maybe disappear from the face of this world.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
By any luck, I may get marooned here with my etd tomorrow:p:biggrin: Oh oh, what will my bosses and OC say?

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
..whats your feel? Getting better or worse. How do you think this will pan out and what do the locals think?
Wish I was moonlighting as a clairvoyant with crystal ball:p. Obviously, most locals want to get on with business of living. You don't really notice it in city, save for attention to news. What I know is that many offices release staff early these days. Also, daresay what PAD's resorting to is not quite legit -meaning, vehement protests are 1 thing, but hijacking seat of govt? No offence to PAD sympathisers, just a bystander's view.Tolerance of thais, Samak's near paralysis plus mystyerious hands at work?

Latest monday (after overnight senate/parliament session) develoipments from Bkk post today:

Surapong optimistic work stoppage won't escalate

Deputy Prime Minister and Finance Minister Surapong Suebwonglee on Monday expressed optimism that the work stoppage being staged by state enterprise employees in several sectors will not escalate because basically most such employees do not want the public to experience hardship.

The minister voiced the hope following a threat by state enterprise labour unions in charge of public utilities services to cut electrical power and piped water supply and those providing financial services to stage a strike as part of their support for the anti-government Peoples' Alliance for Democracy (PAD)'s movement.

He expected the problem will not worsen and believed that under the current situation all parties must attempt to come to an understanding and help prevent the strike from escalating.

Mr Surapong said he would liaise with state enterprise executives to create proper understanding among the staff.

The ongoing confrontation stemmed from a lack of understanding among people in society regarding what is right and what is wrong, he said.

Regarding a special joint session of the House of Representatives and the Senate meeting overnight Sunday in a bid to defuse the political crisis, he said it is a good venue where politically active and informed members could exchange useful information.
He affirmed that Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej and his government needed to adhere to democratic discipline.

"The opposition leader's suggestion to dissolve the House of Representatives draws a certain support because it is one of (several) practical ways out.

"But no one is sure the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD)-led protesters will end their rally because they still insist on creating a new political structure which is not in compliance with the democratic process," he said. (TNA)

silverfox@ said:
If the thb drops, more FLs to be seen in FL Dome. Plus, with their current situation persisting, more FLs will still flock overseas esp singapore for short term work
Trust you to see the positive spin off effect, hehehe:p

Last edited:

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Chakri House and Bhumipol in particular got a rude shock when Forbes recently spilled the beans on Bhumipol's megga wealth making him #1 richest monarch in the world sans 'black gold':smile:

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mark my words, the Crown Prince is probably not the real player. The unwed Princess Maha carries much more clout both within the Chakri House and with the common Thais as well. She is a tough shrewd cookie like her father.

As for Temasek, LKY, LHL and Ho Ching probably did not look beyond Thaksin, too bedazzled by his similarities with them:rolleyes::biggrin:

The sad part is that our gifted people in Temasek did not know the power equation. The Singapore Government Intelligience Services also failed in making the appropriate assessment as this involves State Funds. I think they spent their time looking at minute details such as if the crown prince has aids or not. To make it worse, they appointed a Thai General to act as the Liaision who unknown to them had lost his clout.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Aiyah I tell you this is a load of BS Siamese wayang. Yes amongst the rural majority illiterate it is unwise to talk about the Royal Family, in fact during my occasional travels through the provinces I sometimes hand out pictures of the King and trinkets with the King to curry favour with the locals who just love it that an 'asian farang' like me also 'loves' their monarch and I then get VIP treatment:biggrin: However with the elites and intellectual Bangkok classes, it is 'open season' on Chakri House but behind closed doors:wink:

in thailand, the way we say can be considered treason. utter disrespect they would say. but then who dares when you can be thrown into prison for 20 years or maybe disappear from the face of this world.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro,

Maybe a more non partisan leader with national stature should take the lead in the interim, someone like Anand Panyarachun perhaps?

Wish I was moonlighting as a clairvoyant with crystal ball:p. Obviously, most locals want to get on with business of living. You don't really notice it in city, save for attention to news. What I know is that many offices release staff early these days. Also, daresay what PAD's resorting to is not quite legit -meaning, vehement protests are 1 thing, but hijacking seat of govt? No offence to PAD sympathisers, just a bystander's view.Tolerance of thais, Samak's near paralysis plus mystyerious hands at work?

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Maybe a more non partisan leader with national stature should take the lead in the interim, someone like Anand Panyarachun perhaps?
scroobal said:
Anand is always kept in reserve just in case the pendulum on either swings too far
Will be hard put to find somebody else of same stature, above the fray.

Foreign corps/presence now concerned on who's the boss and reprecussions to business (already they have to grapple existing vagaries):

http://www.bangkokpost.com/topstories/topstories.php?id=130249

Latest triva, on Thaksin's shortlived footy horizons (perhaps his recent $$ misfortunes too?). So earlier rumours proven right:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/topstories/topstories.php?id=130248

Nomad

Alfrescian
Loyal
but everyone who want to rule and get the mandate,have to respect the King and get his blessing.
else he will not stay in power for too long.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Today's turn of events, emergency law decelared for Bangkok. This was after 1 death and clashes between pro govt and PAD overnight. Guess pro Samak lobby (UDD opposite no. for PAD) thinks 2 can play at game

Labour unions pulling their weight, threatening to cut off power/water to police and aslo govt officials. Even Thai Airways flights kena (so fly budget?:p)

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_asiapacific/view/373213/1/.html

Counted no less than 4 threads here on ongoings, so this has generated plenty interests. Getting outta here before I get caught with a technicality of emeregency rule with my 5 thai lady friends in tow (a crowd or orgy?!)

Last edited:

suteerak1099

Alfrescian
Loyal
so now, with death on the casualty list, perhaps the drama has heightened a few notches. despite all the disgrunt of replacing the less than satisfactory incumbent leaders, i truly wonder if they've a valid candidate for a sub.

theoratically, its ok to make some substitutions on a pitch of footballers, its also ok to have 1 or 2 carded off the pitch, bt wat would it be like to remove a 3men takraw team, without any subs??? :confused:

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
so now, with death on the casualty list, perhaps the drama has heightened a few notches. despite all the disgrunt of replacing the less than satisfactory incumbent leaders, i truly wonder if they've a valid candidate for a sub.

theoratically, its ok to make some substitutions on a pitch of footballers, its also ok to have 1 or 2 carded off the pitch, bt wat would it be like to remove a 3men takraw team, without any subs??? :confused:

They have Charlerm, they have Sondhi, they have Abhisit, but are these men capable and able to deliver? I only see the former 2 capable in protests and demostrations. Leading the country is a different ball game.

It's a thankless job. Whoever is going to be at the helm will get the brickbats. Regardless of what he do, not everyone will be happy

suteerak1099

Alfrescian
Loyal
They have Charlerm, they have Sondhi, they have Abhisit, but are these men capable and able to deliver? I only see the former 2 capable in protests and demostrations. Leading the country is a different ball game.

It's a thankless job. Whoever is going to be at the helm will get the brickbats. Regardless of what he do, not everyone will be happy
IMHO, militants & uniformed personnels cant really make any difference. simply bcos uniformed careers make them followers of protocols/ proceedures. they're careers put them remote of economic/ political/ dimplomatic concerns... hence, making them irrelevant in leading & managing a country out of distress.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Imagine if the really BIG unexpected suddenly happens now i.e. King Bhumipol passing away (which if you come to think of it is not entirely unlikely considering his poor health)?!

suteerak1099

Alfrescian
Loyal
then the ppl will have to choose.... the candidates arent many to begin with: the crown prince, 1 or 2 validated candidates, not discounting a possible return of thakshin, given his popularity with the vast majority.

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
IMHO, militants & uniformed personnels cant really make any difference. simply bcos uniformed careers make them followers of protocols/ proceedures. they're careers put them remote of economic/ political/ dimplomatic concerns... hence, making them irrelevant in leading & managing a country out of distress.

many of those able to lead the country are barred from politics for a number of years. They want to find someone who is whiter than a pc of white paper, wher to find. So even those who can lead, are already politically assasinated with bans from taking up govt official posts