• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The 70's Thread - Anything until the Dec 1979.

sirus

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[video=youtube;DMyawtemnzc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMyawtemnzc&feature=related[/video]

Coke commercial 1972

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
He was Jeffrey Chan not Ang.

I remember the late and Grand Joshua Benjamin Jeyaretnam took up the case of a Police Prosecutor (or some prominent person from the Courts) who was summoned many times by the Cisco Kids for entering the RZ without purchasing the Area Licence.

JBJ fought on the ground that the ALS (Area Licencing Scheme) law "did not have provisions that empower the Minister to impose or collect monetary fines from violators"

This was very true and very carefully researched. It was a slap on the face of the Government.

A Judge by the name of Mr Jeffrey Ang agreed and declared the ALS ILLEGAL.

Shockwaves went through Singapore and many people wanted to claim refunds.

The Government acted fast and used the easy way out - RETROSPECTIVE LEGISLATION.

Late Lim Kim San could then breathe a SIGH of Relief.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, you reminded me of this fantastic location to bring chicks. It was the most happening place then. You hold the chick very tight so she won't fall. And yo become her brave knight thru the night. When the icing machine come on. time to relax the arm muscle and have a snack over a hot beverage. Had a classmate who was with the ice hockey team so he became an important bait.

I enjoyed the heavy rain and the floods - swimming etc.

lianbeng also remembers that ice skating rink.:biggrin: also remembers watching until heavy rain.

Kohliantye

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There are number of forummers with excellent memory and treasure trove of experiences, life stories, sex flings, workplace culture, food of old and many other things that made the world tick in those days. It also marked the end of many good things.

I think forummer Kohlianthye had probably the best memory for minute details.

Bro Scroobal, I will definitely share my past experience (Honest Truths) with all of you.

I believe that we should let our younger generation know about our rich past.

What they (kids) now learn from kindergartens till secondary schools is insufficient and not good for such impressionable age.

As and when I remember, I will start spewing out my experiences.

Sometimes after reading the many contributions from forummers, my mind will click.

That's when I start to put ideas on this forum.

I should thank you all for providing me the valuable "sparks".

Please keep it up my dear and valuable forum friends, including Kinana, Leongsam and others.

Have a great day.

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
When that break comes, its aLways that song : that's the way ah ha ah ha i Like it..skating instructors were treated
Like Demi-gods then.ALL the naive girLs wiLL swoon over them.:eek:

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
fantastic location to bring chicks. It was the most happening place then. You hold the chick very tight so she won't fall. When the icing machine come on. time to relax the arm muscle and have a snack over a hot beverage. ...with the ice hockey team
My 1st paycheck was from other ice skating rink in Kallang, with joint 62 bowling alley (30 1st flr + 32 upstairs) proclaimed to be SEA's biggest then. On ice hockey, visiting Electrolux team gave combined Sg team a real hiding.

Used to skive off to music control tower, to play my favourite tapes and watch the chabor figure skaters down. Also chatted up the snack bar gals (before the automated dispensers). :p Such was life then, little or no worry

As next to national stadium, easy to buy tickets and wait out Msia Cup matches.

Last edited:

Kohliantye

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In the 1970s, Saturdays were special because RTS will start to broadcast televsion programmes from the afternoon. I especially looked forward to the afternoon matinee on those days.

Remember the Jungle Jim Festival - something about ivory-poaching.

The Little Rascals and Mr Ed & The Talking Horse.

The frequent TV breakdowns and the funny faced cartoon that remained there till the programme commences again.

My dad bought our First Black & White TV. It was ERRES.

You have to switch on and wait till the screen slowly comes to live. The same when you off the TV. They call it "Transistors" tv back then.

I always had to fiddle with the antennae to get the clearest picture.

Luck not to be electrocuted. No circuit-breakers then. Sure mati one...

Kohliantye

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If I remember correctly, it's got a pineapple on the yellow rectangular box.

That was the ERINMORE FLAKE or Chap Nanas. Smells good. Used by pipe smokers.
It was from Denmark.
No more on sale here. Maybe Malaysia can get.

Kohliantye

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Along the same vein, anyone remember a chap hitting a short bamboo with a stick heralding the arrival of the fishball noodle. It was catchy tune .

That was the good old Tick Tock Tick Tock boy riding a bicycle and hitting the two small bamboo pieces on his bicycle.

The bicycle was well-balanced WITHOUT his hands on the handle-bars.

Place the orders thru him and he will bring the mee (soup or dry) to you and later collect the bowl from outside your home.

Well-loved by gambling den and opium den patronisers.

Their fish-balls were genuine and shioookkk.

Use to operate from a three-wheeled cart with a long canvas tarpaulin.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I remember very clearly that these boys were enthusiastic, cheery and very hardworking. No sour faces and very vibrant. Now you go fast food, no smile like forced to work.

I too remember the fish balls were very distinctive.

That was the good old Tick Tock Tick Tock boy riding a bicycle and hitting the two small bamboo pieces on his bicycle.

The bicycle was well-balanced WITHOUT his hands on the handle-bars.

Their fish-balls were genuine and shioookkk.

Use to operate from a three-wheeled cart with a long canvas tarpaulin.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Remember the Jungle Jim Festival - something about ivory-poaching.

The Little Rascals and Mr Ed & The Talking Horse.

The frequent TV breakdowns and the funny faced cartoon that remained there till the programme commences again.

My dad bought our First Black & White TV. It was ERRES.

You have to switch on and wait till the screen slowly comes to live. The same when you off the TV. They call it "Transistors" tv back then.

I always had to fiddle with the antennae to get the clearest picture.

Luck not to be electrocuted. No circuit-breakers then. Sure mati one...

My Mother the car..with Mr Ed the talking Horse.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_PZPpWTRTU http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kz3hfJweE0

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

That was the ERINMORE FLAKE or Chap Nanas. Smells good. Used by pipe smokers.
It was from Denmark.
No more on sale here. Maybe Malaysia can get.

That is it Erinmore Flake..and the one that comes in cellophane paper, blue in colour?

Kohliantye

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I made a pair by that shoe maker at Bras Basah Road, where part of the new Rendezvous Hotel is now, between the junction of Prinsep Street & Bencoolen Street, at the far end of Prinsep Street where the RDZ hotel used to be, was "the saint" second hand book shop, along that row of shophouses, there was this shoe maker ( not shoe shop) I made that pair of boots with velvet insides ( I missed the feeling of that) wore it till it broke!, a shop that string rackets ( Badminton, tennis, Squash), one or two book stores ( Indian), a coffee shop that sells yummy! wanton noodle, a Siamese Fortune Teller!! and something else, a Camera shop?!?

I have the feeling that you, Halsey is around my age. Can tell from your "encounters" (films, etc...). Anyway its good to have you share thereby broadening further and opening up my dormant memories.

Rendezvous was famous for the Nasi Padang then. Expensive for my standard but manage to have makan because I use to visit the Mamak 2nd hand bookshops to sell my old books.

Shop was run by a young Indian Muslim youth. Name of shop and young man I cannot remember. The first time he asked me for my identity card as he felt that I could have stolen that books concerned. I gave him a hard look and after that he was tamed and gave me a good price. Thought I was a pai-kia of sorts.

I was an avid reader and used to browse and buy cheap books from the stall which was behind the Rendezvous Restaurant. Every book had the Saint insignia on it, The books were cheap and readable.

I do remember the only coffeeshop but my favourite was the Char-Kway-Teow Ah-Pek who had his stool and wok right at the front left side entrance. Tastes good and was cheap.

Oh yes, the Famous Siamese Fortune Teller by the name of Professor Rugdee. He had a self-written advertisement on the front left of that shop. I used to laugh at the contents written especially about future, blah blah blah.

The last shop was Bee Loh Camera Shop. From there you have to cross the road and walk towards the Waterloo Street side for the row of Mamak mee-rebus and rojak stalls..

Straight up acorss the road was the majestic National Library next to the Museum. Walk through the Museum gate and there was this bearded Mamak under the huge tree within the compound of the Museum selling ice-balls, chendol and other drinks. He used a peice of wood with a blade in it and over this he ran a block of ice from which he collects the chipped ice below..

Anyone remember.....Imagine someone can sell food along public roads, set up illegal stalls inside museum and claim to be a fortune-teller to cheat people.
Hahahahahahaha.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Looks like everyone during that era know about Saints Bookstore (should bookstall). I believe they are now in Vivo city and they bring in brand new novels which they loan to office staff.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I have the feeling that you, Halsey is around my age. Can tell from your "encounters" (films, etc...). Anyway its good to have you share thereby broadening further and opening up my dormant memories.

Rendezvous was famous for the Nasi Padang then. Expensive for my standard but manage to have makan because I use to visit the Mamak 2nd hand bookshops to sell my old books.

My sister tried that Siamese Fortune Teller...and dragged me in to read my palm, while she greased his palms with money..said I got a good future & a long life... ha ha ha ha

Shop was run by a young Indian Muslim youth. Name of shop and young man I cannot remember. The first time he asked me for my identity card as he felt that I could have stolen that books concerned. I gave him a hard look and after that he was tamed and gave me a good price. Thought I was a pai-kia of sorts.

I was an avid reader and used to browse and buy cheap books from the stall which was behind the Rendezvous Restaurant. Every book had the Saint insignia on it, The books were cheap and readable.

I do remember the only coffeeshop but my favourite was the Char-Kway-Teow Ah-Pek who had his stool and wok right at the front left side entrance. Tastes good and was cheap.

Oh yes, the Famous Siamese Fortune Teller by the name of Professor Rugdee. He had a self-written advertisement on the front left of that shop. I used to laugh at the contents written especially about future, blah blah blah.

The last shop was Bee Loh Camera Shop. From there you have to cross the road and walk towards the Waterloo Street side for the row of Mamak mee-rebus and rojak stalls..

Straight up acorss the road was the majestic National Library next to the Museum. Walk through the Museum gate and there was this bearded Mamak under the huge tree within the compound of the Museum selling ice-balls, chendol and other drinks. He used a peice of wood with a blade in it and over this he ran a block of ice from which he collects the chipped ice below..

Anyone remember.....Imagine someone can sell food along public roads, set up illegal stalls inside museum and claim to be a fortune-teller to cheat people.
Hahahahahahaha.

Yes Bee Loh Camera, now I remember, trying to remember!!, the darn Indian's at the second hand book store are all crooks, you have to bargain hard. used to sell my old books there too & bought lots of comics that fill a large box...National Library Stamford Road, the lady librarian at the air conditioned Reference section, give me the eye, when I loan out "Grey's Anatomy"..LOL I was researching the female parts, ha ha ha so throw a curve I took out Mercado Atlas of Foot Anatomy...and that book by I have forgotten the name on "China History" to read up on the Tai Peng Rebellion, one what's that famous Atlas, oogle at Maps...or than book on Botany..Book on Psychology , philosophy...etc ha ha ha Librarian taught I was a young genius...but it was the one cold oasis in town at that time, anyway the reading which I couldn't understand then... helped later in life...good to read!!

Then Across the street to my 'private library' at MPH Stamford, from anything that I can get my hands in the shelves...short one, bought books by Harold Robbins, Jaqueline Suzanne...etc..and I was very young then! Read page by page of Toikkien books & couldn't understand a darn thing, but I just read...every time I went to MPH I 'bookmarked' that page in my mind, and the location of that book in the shelf..

We never had smartphone distractions like angry birds, where is my water, Cut the rope, Unleashed Amazing Alex..etc reading is fun & educational, what one learn, no one can steal from you..

Last edited: