• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The 70's Thread - Anything until the Dec 1979.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not only bell bottoms, but pointy shoes too, and you nailed horseshoes onto them so you went clickety clack on the pavements, twist easily on dance floors, but helluva slippery on tiled floors. What about sporting Elvis hairstyle, monster size buckle belts?

So far people admitted to many things from boots to sex but no admitted wearing bellbottoms with waistband touching the navel. Ah Beng began wearing them in green and the shirt was body hugging, floral patterns on the outside and no print on the inside with big collars.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
1) The walk from National Stadium to Beach Rd Hawker Centre for supper after Malaysia Cup soccer matches;
2) Eating at the old Orchard Road carpark and watching the fights that took place between the matsallehs and locals;
3) Watching movies at Great World City;

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
We used to go for movies at Great World. I think the cinema was called Globe. And it was 50 cents for the front row.

there were also those big search lights at the entrance to the great world amusement park. These searchlights were used in WW2 for lighting up the fighter planes and bombers for the anti-arty guns.

1) The walk from National Stadium to Beach Rd Hawker Centre for supper after Malaysia Cup soccer matches;
2) Eating at the old Orchard Road carpark and watching the fights that took place between the matsallehs and locals;
3) Watching movies at Great World City;

Last edited:

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
...trend in western countries. ...both the males and the females because of the internet age, are seaching out their old childhhood sweethearts and getting hitched again.
Some comfort ..and who knows I might bump into a few (shrews by now?:o) -from days at few night spots:

Barbarella (Ming Court)
Boiler Room (Mandarin Hotel)
Kasbah (Mandarin too)
Lost Horizon (Shang)
London Club (basement of old Malaysia Hotel, later renamed Marco Polo)

Some spots got closed down due to druggies then

Last edited:

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
How about Ladyhill Hotel? The piano lounge with the waitresses in "mah guas".

Some comfort ..and who knows I might bump into a few (shrews by now?:o) -from days at few night spots:

Barbarella (Ming Court)
Kasbah (Mandarin too)
Lost Horizon (Shang)

Some spots go closed down due to druggies then

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
Golden Venus

Barbarella (Ming Court)
Kasbah (Mandarin too)
Lost Horizon (Shang)

Some spots go closed down due to druggies then

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
I also recall at Gay World. There was a motorcycle stunt show with the motorcyclist riding round and round inside a spherical dome.

Kohliantye

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That was the brainchiLd of Whoeveritwas; some ALS scheme..imagine owning a car, yet waiting for some VIP strangers to tompang into town ! ! :eek:

I remember the late and Grand Joshua Benjamin Jeyaretnam took up the case of a Police Prosecutor (or some prominent person from the Courts) who was summoned many times by the Cisco Kids for entering the RZ without purchasing the Area Licence.

JBJ fought on the ground that the ALS (Area Licencing Scheme) law "did not have provisions that empower the Minister to impose or collect monetary fines from violators"

This was very true and very carefully researched. It was a slap on the face of the Government.

A Judge by the name of Mr Jeffrey Ang agreed and declared the ALS ILLEGAL.

Shockwaves went through Singapore and many people wanted to claim refunds.

The Government acted fast and used the easy way out - RETROSPECTIVE LEGISLATION.

Late Lim Kim San could then breathe a SIGH of Relief.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Barberella had no equal. Best chicks, best music but no. 1 drug joint. Name finally banned for good by the authorities.

Barbarella (Ming Court)
Kasbah (Mandarin too)
Lost Horizon (Shang)
London Club (basement of old Malaysia Hotel, later renamed Marco Polo)

Some spots got closed down due to druggies then

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, you really got Elephant's memory. You should volunteer at the National Archives.

I remember the late and Grand Joshua Benjamin Jeyaretnam took up the case of a Police Prosecutor (or some prominent person from the Courts) who was summoned many times by the Cisco Kids for entering the RZ without purchasing the Area Licence.

JBJ fought on the ground that the ALS (Area Licencing Scheme) law "did not have provisions that empower the Minister to impose or collect monetary fines from violators"

This was very true and very carefully researched. It was a slap on the face of the Government.

A Judge by the name of Mr Jeffrey Ang agreed and declared the ALS ILLEGAL.

Shockwaves went through Singapore and many people wanted to claim refunds.

The Government acted fast and used the easy way out - RETROSPECTIVE LEGISLATION.

Late Lim Kim San could then breathe a SIGH of Relief.

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
near the previous orchard hotel....orange grove rd.

Had live bands and no little action.

A George Lim was in one of these bands and he coached the 1966 group 'The Titbits' when they won Singapore's very 1st Talentime contest.

Where was Golden Venus - familiar name but can't recall location etc.

Last edited:

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
haha mebbe i bought from you then....used to buy for my neighbour cos she was semi paralysed.

lianbeng ofcoz remember lah coz used to be 1 of those boys mah.:biggrin:
every Sat/Sun evening zhun zhun 6pm shouting among vehicles waiting at red lights: "Maaaa Piew Pohhh!!!":biggrin:

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
yes ...went once when it had just opened. Went with friend and his fiance. At first very popular then died down quite fast .

Around the same time got the Jurong ice skating rink ya ?

lianbeng also remembers the jurong drive-in cinema open air one u remember or not?:biggrin:

lianbeng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
yes ...went once when it had just opened. Went with friend and his fiance. At first very popular then died down quite fast .

Around the same time got the Jurong ice skating rink ya ?

lianbeng also remembers that ice skating rink.:biggrin: also remembers watching until heavy rain.

Last edited: