• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Thank you PAP, CAT A $77,201

ionzu

Alfrescian
Loyal
excellent news! this will help to keep the road clear of the rif raff in small cars. keep the roads clear for all the lexus and bimmers. fits and jazz, please switch to bus and mrt. dun try to climb above your station in life, PAP wants you to stay down. there's not enough room at the top for all you peasants.

looking forward to 100k COEs, then there will be no more jams.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Don't forget the iPhones too. Singapore has the most number of iPhones per capita in the world. Singaporeans are all so rich, unlike Europeans who are so poor that they spend their holidays hunting for fish at their second homes in the countryside and have all their life savings locked up in pension funds instead of being used to invest in leasehold properties. PAP is the best! :rolleyes:
Actually if include Galaxy an all other smart phones the numbers lagi big ya.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
For the first 3 days, many cars stayed away from the time zone which has the highest ERP rate but come the the 4th and 5th day and henceforth, the cars seem to return.
The idea of ERP and COE, in fact, any monetary disincentive that they put up in the future is not to discourage usage altogether but to re-distribute and to get rid of marginal cases who cannot compete for the limited resources. That is why the call for general major improvement in all other alternatives even for car owners and the curb on population growth.
It's time for the gov to raise the ERP much higher to achieve the desired result.
You should read my other post where I mentioned we have to sacrifice usage in order to lower the cost of ownership.

Of course the way to achieve this is through monetary disincentive, again pushing the marginal users to the public system (I must add marginal users do not mean they are non-car owners). In fact if the whole transportation issue is tackled on all fronts simultaneously, the number of people who will need to compromise their desires may not be many and even for them, the alternatives may not be so unattractive. And overall for all commuters generally a less expensive way to travel.

Last edited:

@rmadill0

Alfrescian
Loyal
Even if using bank loan to service COE, it still shows that Singaporeans are will to fork out that kind of money to own a car.

soIsee

Alfrescian
Loyal
The idea of ERP and COE, in fact, any monetary disincentive that they put up in the future is not to discourage usage altogether but to re-distribute and to get rid of marginal cases who cannot compete for the limited resources. That is why the call for general major improvement in all other alternatives even for car owners and the curb on population growth.

You should read my other post where I mentioned we have to sacrifice usage in order to lower the cost of ownership.

Of course the way to achieve this is through monetary disincentive, again pushing the marginal users to the public system (I must add marginal users do not mean they are non-car owners). In fact if the whole transportation issue is tackled on all fronts simultaneously, the number of people who will need to compromise their desires may not be many and even for them, the alternatives may not be so unattractive. And overall for all commuters generally a less expensive way to travel.

The gov is not interested or have an interest to find commuter an alternative/cheaper mode of travel.

The gov wants to control certain behaviour that leads to traffic congestion.

Those who use their cars during the peak morning and evening hours are not 'marginal' in numbers.

These are the ones causing the problem which resulted in COE and ERPs.

Imagine if almost 50% would to buy their cars but these remain parked during the peak hours, would you have traffic congestion?

Sure, given the much higher prices to come, some , I say some, will move to public transport or restructure their travel pattern but the disincentive to use their cars now IS NOT STRONG ENOUGH to 'encourage' many to do so.

As I have said, if ERP were to be set at a rate of more than $10 a pop, you will see many will 1) find an alternative route ( which results in congestion in the out llying areas) or 2) restructure their time to pass thru the ERP ( which is what is desired) or 3) use public transport.

For the first not to happen , I say ERP all routes and charge a high rate.

We'll then see, who are the Sinkie who wants to own a car and still can pay for it!

Last edited:

giggity_shit

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hit this high before... Don't worry, will come crashing down in 2 it's time

The gov is not interested or have an interest to find commuter an alternative/cheaper mode of travel.

The gov wants to control certain behaviour that leads to traffic congestion.

Those who use their cars during the peak morning and evening hours are not 'marginal' in numbers.

These are the ones causing the problem which resulted in COE and ERPs.

Imagine if almost 50% would to buy their cars but these remain parked during the peak hours, would you have traffic congestion?

Sure, given the much higher prices to come, some , I say some, will move to public transport or restructure their travel pattern but the disincentive to use their cars now IS NOT STRONG ENOUGH to 'encourage' many to do so.

As I have said, if ERP were to be set at a rate of more than $10 a pop, you will see many will 1) find an alternative route ( which results in congestion in the out llying areas) or 2) restructure their time to pass thru the ERP ( which is what is desired) or 3) use public transport.

For the first not to happen , I say ERP all routes and charge a high rate.

We'll then see, who are the Sinkie who wants to own a car and still can pay for it!

Spock

Alfrescian
Loyal
Since there are no protests or riots in SG, it must mean that SGreans are very much in agreement that owning a car should cost an arm and a leg. Can't wait for the population to hit 6M, I want to see how high the threshold for pain SGreans can bear.

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What AK voted didn't matter. Who AK voted didn't win.
Think your full cash COE is a better idea, plus the cost of the car, no more loans!!! but then again, there will be no sales on the car = no taxes for the gov. Everything is Gov, to suck your dry dry, hahaha....

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
The smell of a new car is very, very expensive. Heart also pain when car tiok dented or scratched.

That smell is poisonous too. Apparently the chemical treatment to retard fire is highly toxic. Older cars usually have less of this vapor as most of it dissipated within first year.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Think your full cash COE is a better idea, plus the cost of the car, no more loans!!! but then again, there will be no sales on the car = no taxes for the gov. Everything is Gov, to suck your dry dry, hahaha....

Not my idea. Zhihau's idea.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That smell is poisonous too. Apparently the chemical treatment to retard fire is highly toxic. Older cars usually have less of this vapor as most of it dissipated within first year.

If left in the hot sun, the vapors are doubly poisonous as the concentration can reach several times above safe limits.

Last edited: