• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Terence Lee's message to Goh Meng Seng

Ilovelamb

Alfrescian
Loyal
BACK in the good’ol days when Singapore football actually meant something, you wouldn’t see Fandi Ahmad tackle Sundramoorthy on the pitch, even if the opponent were minnows. In fact, underdogs often raise their game when facing a far superior team.

Which makes the recent catfight between the National Solidarity Party and Worker’s Party all the more mind-boggling.

It seems that the People Action’s Party (PAP) was forgotten the week after the new electoral boundaries were made known, despite being the fattest sumo wrestler in the ring, and the most dazzling (or the most kayu) football player on the field.

Instead, you get a silly blog post by NSP Secretary-General Goh Meng Seng criticising the Worker’s Party and its arrogance, to which Low Thia Khiang, his counterpart at the WP, rebutted in Lianhe Zaobao.

Meng Seng, fresh off a press conference on Thursday when he announced NSP’s slate of candidates for Moulmein-Kallang GRC, is unapologetic.

“It’s just an emotional, sentimental post. But people mistaken it as an attack. It’s not.”

Really? Even when you said they have “lost sight” of their mission, or that they are thumbing down on other parties? Even when you insinuate that they are “arrogant”?

He continues: “When you speak your mind of course it’s going to be critical. If I don’t speak my mind I’m a politician. But when I write I’m not a politician, I’m a human.”

What shall I call you then? Uncle Meng Seng? Pops? Granddaddy? Koyok Seller?

So, here’s a veteran politician pretending to be a ranty emo-kid with a personal blog-plaything. He waved away my suggestion that he was trying to use his blog to pressure the WP to give up Moulmein-Kallang. Shrewd politician? Or am I giving him too much credit?

The usually smooth auntie-killer also trips himself up by saying: “There’s nothing (in the blog post that’s) critical about anybody. It’s just a very emotional piece. There’s nothing to do with arguing who’s right and who’s wrong.”

I rest my case.

The Opposition should start doing what they do best: Whack the PAP! Say anything, like how the Prime Minister is a pig, or how Lee Kuan Yew should go to a retirement village!

But let’s give Secretary-General Sir credit where it’s due. His party is the first to officially announce their candidates at any constituency, beating even the PAP. He has managed to attract credible candidates who left the Reform Party, which indicates some semblance of leadership ability.

His experience probably helped. While Reform Party Secretary-General Kenneth Jeyaretnam comes across as a true noob with poor media management skills, Meng Seng appears slightly better.

He has another thing going for him: He looks like someone you can talk to. He’s not as dashing as PAP man Michael Palmer, but he’s cute, in a cuddly Teddy Bear kind of way. He’s the uncle who sips kopi downstairs, Wanbao in hand. About as heartlander as you can get.

Ah Seng’s certainly someone who seems down-to-earth, or at least gives that impression. Kenneth on the other hand, seems like the opposite: He uses his poker face and impressive qualifications to hide his political inexperience.

But as much of a veteran as he is, I think the blog post is ill-timed and poorly conceived; a symptom of a deep-rooted problem within the opposition camp: Rampant egos. Calculated move or not, there is no room in politics for undisciplined emotional outbursts. It distracts both opposition parties from the real fight against the ruling party. It gives the impression of a fractured Opposition. It could be a tool used by the PAP against him.

And there’s no guarantee WP will be pressured to give up Moulmein-Kallang, despite NSP’s shenanigans and media posturing. Which means we could be headed for a three-way fight.

In fact, both parties seem to be so focused on their petty squabbles that they literally ignored PM Lee Hsien Loong’s recent jibe: “It seems to me rather exciting day-to-day changes, transformations, quarrels, squabbles, new friendships and old enmities all surfacing at the same time. I look forward to the next installment.”

Perhaps opposition members are suffering from guilty conscience. So I related my concern to a person within the NSP. And guessed what he told me? Be patient. Sure, you can tell me that, but try saying it to the thousands of first-time voters who have watched every episode of this oddball family drama, and who actually appreciate what the government has done for them so far, despite the rising costs of living. Voters are not stupid.

But as far as I’m concerned, there’s still time to get their act together.

The Opposition should start doing what they do best: Whack the PAP! Say anything, like how the Prime Minister is a pig, or how Lee Kuan Yew should go to a retirement village!

Anything but criticise your fellow opposition member in public, and pass it off as a touchy-feely moment. Even Singapore Democratic Party man James Gomez’s horrible piece on how Singapore will experience a revolution akin to the Middle East will suffice, although it sounds like empty election rhetoric that signals how out-of-touch with the ground he may be.

Yes, I’m that desperate.

http://newnation.sg/2011/03/message-to-opposition-dont-forget-to-whack-the-pap/

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
He gazumped WP and to make it worse he put Tony and Hazel. So it is not going to be an ordinary 3 cornered fight. The PAP is laughing all the way to the bank.

KuanTi01

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The Chinese proverb 互相残杀 puts it so succintly!:rolleyes: Just look at the SDA; an alliance of 2 parties! Surely it's not too much to expect an alliance to comprise a few parties and not just 2? This clearly shows immaturity and disunity! I think SDP and WP although not completely scandal-free, are proving to be more mature and earthquake-proofed!:biggrin::biggrin:

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
What I find ironic is that some people believe in having many splintered opposition parties despite the dominance of the PAP, but when it comes to 3-corner fights, they feel it should be avoided because of the dominance of the PAP.

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
My father who doesn't read SBF or this internet politics was reading the Lianhe Zaobao and he tell me 1 thing.

(hokkien)
Who is this opposition so sibei bey kan before election already kong lan jiao wei. No need PAP defeat, opposition fight opposition before election already die.

Ar ni kiang, in Moulmein already lose 2 times.

So GMS have to take note, the content of his message has been interpreted in this manner to many others. It does not matter how GMS interprets it. Because what matters is how others interpret.

Lestat

Alfrescian
Loyal
When even the opposition starts to mudsling each other, what hope is there that we will see a new coalition of government? :mad:

zhugexiansheng

Alfrescian
Loyal
petty quarrels just make ppl feel that these ppl CMI... sigh... one-to-one already no guarantee win, some more 3 corner... shake head...

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
He gazumped WP and to make it worse he put Tony and Hazel. So it is not going to be an ordinary 3 cornered fight. The PAP is laughing all the way to the bank.

I have given up on GMS.

LTK did the politically astute thing -- he refused to discuss it with the press or even with TOC. Such discussions are strictly private affairs.

GMS -> what does he do? He opens his fucking mouth like a football stadium and blares his heart, soul and stinky teeth for all the world to cringe at.

GMS is behaving like a 5 yr old kid in the playground who is trying to portray himself as a hero defending his playmates Tony & Hazel from this BIG BIG gangster WP who is keen on fighting the little boys in a 3 corner fight.

I can't believe this. It's barely weeks to the election and the 5 yr old kid called GMS goes around blogging, face-booking, about all this things that should be conducted in private. What the hell is he doing.

What are all those shit years of preparation and grooming candidates for? All to throw away at the very last minute just because he feels personally insulted by WP's claim on M-K?

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
The one with swollen head is GMS, swollen head but nothing inside except ego matters. Tony Tan, Hazel Poa and the rest of the party-hopping gang are going to lose deposit in any three-cornered contests involving WP. NSP is the classic rubbish dump, take in anything. Last election, also last minute Tan Lead Shake, Cheo Chai Chen etc. joined and stood. What percentage did they get? An experienced campaigner and an ex-MP no less. The electorate don't like and don't trust party-hoppers, and GMS is also one. He thinks the Tan & Poa couple are scholars, the electorate don't give a damn. CST also could beat MBT. He thinks his Malay Bureau is winning Malay grounds. What naive wishful thinking and self-delusion. Most of his Malay Bureau members are outcasts from the mainstream Malay community, gays, bisexuals, divorcees etc. Some of them even have AIDS for hell's sake. I'm sure he knows that too. Half to whole of Malay community have already known.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
What I find ironic is that some people believe in having many splintered opposition parties despite the dominance of the PAP, but when it comes to 3-corner fights, they feel it should be avoided because of the dominance of the PAP.

Many oppositions are using the excuse of "PAP dominance" to do all the wrong things and refuse to buck up. Personally I am fed up myself.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
kudos to the pappies for having a stooge like gunship mouth shooter to do all the sniping and spoiling without him knowing he's being used, and not doing anything to stop a moron from causing a train wreck in the oppo camps. even the pappies know when to shut their pie holes.

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal

If CEO Chia Shi Teck can lose his deposit, Tony and Hazel are going to face a hazing if they go 3-corner with the WP.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
WP GRC team leader can vote for PAP, but GMS cannot criticise WP. Apa logic?

I think NSP can criticize WP. It depends on WHAT. You're shooting another party for not giving face when your shooting doesn't give them face.

If you tell the public "vote NSP not WP because we have been walking the ground here earlier / more / contested last time etc" that is fine. If you are asking /shooting at WP to give way because opposition should show unity, that is funny especially this party is largely made up of members from other parties, which means they do not agree that all opposition parties share common ideology.

jixiaolan

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is a saying, "Those who is thief should not shout theft". WP want other opposition parties to respect them, then dun go and mess up other people turf. No other party declare interest in contesting Hougang smc, Aljunied GRC etc even though 60% of WP Aljunied team has since left. Now, WP got the audacity to claim Tampines is actually WP 1st choice when GMS and team have been going round there for almost every weeks. But if Ah Low wish to contest personally in Tampines, i am sure GMS will be willing to give his "shifu" the blessing.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My father who doesn't read SBF or this internet politics was reading the Lianhe Zaobao and he tell me 1 thing.

(hokkien)
Who is this opposition so sibei bey kan before election already kong lan jiao wei. No need PAP defeat, opposition fight opposition before election already die.

Ar ni kiang, in Moulmein already lose 2 times.

So GMS have to take note, the content of his message has been interpreted in this manner to many others. It does not matter how GMS interprets it. Because what matters is how others interpret.

Will your father vote the opposition? It is not unusual that the PAP before any coming election promise upgrade, uplift..etc, does the people realize that the money is from public funds, & after all those improvement, they will have to pay more for conservancy charges & so forth.

Then, during the years before the elction, they have been collecting fat salaries & wait till now to improve, upgrade, uplift & update...soon every thing will be UP!.

Shouldn't people who have enough of these...say....!@#$#@ yours! ??:biggrin:

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is a saying, "Those who is thief should not shout theft". WP want other opposition parties to respect them, then dun go and mess up other people turf. No other party declare interest in contesting Hougang smc, Aljunied GRC etc even though 60% of WP Aljunied team has since left. Now, WP got the audacity to claim Tampines is actually WP 1st choice when GMS and team have been going round there for almost every weeks. But if Ah Low wish to contest personally in Tampines, i am sure GMS will be willing to give his "shifu" the blessing.

I also think WP should stay away from Tampines and MK. My position is that in a 3 corner fight, both parties have a share of the responsibility. Both are either right or wrong. You appear as if NSP is the saint and WP is the devil. That's where I differ.

You even brought up how a WP candidate voted PAP and therefore NSP has the right to scold WP in public. Two "wrongs" don't make a right, bro.

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
1)WP has every right to contest MK GRC if they think they can win it

2)NSP keeps claiming that they have work there for the last 10 years. As far as I can remember during the last election, SDA was the one who contested there. True, it was a NSP contesting under SDA then again, would the pple remember NSP instead of SDA and more importantly, are the candidates still the same team from the last elections. U seriously think voters will still remember you if you keep changing teams and parties you represent?

3)Most importantly if they've really work the grounds for the last 10 years, this would be a really good test. If WP manage to get more votes then NSP, then NSP should really go fly kite and start working somewhere else