• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Tang Dynasty people did not speak Mandarin !

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Being a half breed. I find Cantonese to be a superior dialect to other dialects. Evespecially hokkein. Also hokkien ppl got one kind of funny attitude. Like to nag and damn calculative and stingy. And the dialect is damn crude tooo. Just my rants but its a fact.

Cantonese history dates back 2000 years.....Putonghua in contrast only 700-800 years old........kns 'dialects' like Cantonese and Hokkien should be language instead.

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
the Beijing dialect is an ancient dialect of China.

during Ming Emperor Yongle time, he shifted the capital to Beiping and bought with him 500K Nanjing citizens that exceeded the Beiping natives. the Beiping dialect was subsequently influenced heavily by Nanjing Wu dialect spoken by the Nanjing natives. the Mandarin became Nanjing Mandarin. during the onset of Qing dynasty, the Manchu people continued to use Nanjing Mandarin in its court. Nanjing Mandarin was spoken by the majority of Beijing natives at that time. the Manchu language and Nanjing Mandarin influenced each other. the Manchu adjusted their own tones and pronunciations to emulate the Nanjing Mandarin. during late Qing times to 1911, the official language was Beijing Mandarin, that was Nanjing Mandarin influenced by Manchu language.

today Beijing dialect, our standard Mandarin is a merge of the Beiping dialect during Yuan Beiping times and Nanjing Wu Beiping dialect during Ming times, influenced by Manchu language.

Beijing dialect has evolved over the centuries like rest of ancient dialects. today Hokkien and Cantonese dialects were also vastly different from the spoken form in Han or Tang dynasties.

biondi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Cantonese is actually a better language than Mandarin since there are 9 tones rather than 4 tones in the Mandarin language. This results in a lot of homophones in the Mandarin language.

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Being a half breed. I find Cantonese to be a superior dialect to other dialects. Evespecially hokkein. Also hokkien ppl got one kind of funny attitude. Like to nag and damn calculative and stingy. And the dialect is damn crude tooo. Just my rants but its a fact.

i find Cantonese to be more aggressive and confrontational-sounding than Hokkien.

i don't speak Cantonese at all. i speak Hokkien.

Sinkie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i find Cantonese to be more aggressive and confrontational-sounding than Hokkien.

i don't speak Cantonese at all. i speak Hokkien.

I speak all three and I prefer Mandarin, then Cantonese and finally Hokkien.

I avoid Hakka, don't know WTF it is.

I find Hainanese a bit similar to Hokkien and Teochew, agree or not?

Kinana

Alfrescian
Loyal
languages change over time. the hokkien we speak in Singapore is heavily influenced by teochew n some malay.

Kinana

Alfrescian
Loyal
I speak all three and I prefer Mandarin, then Cantonese and finally Hokkien.

I avoid Hakka, don't know WTF it is.

I find Hainanese a bit similar to Hokkien and Teochew, agree or not?

I speak all of them except hainan. Never discriminate any language

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I want to know why:

Southern Chinese called themselves 唐人 (Tang Dynasty people), not 华人 (Ethnic Chinese).

Chinatowns all over the world are called 唐人街 not 华人街 or 中国人街

In China, Cantonese is called 粤语 "Yue language" and not 广东话 "Guangdong language". Only Hongkong, Macau and overseas chinese called Cantonese 廣東話 (广东话)

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I doubt that's the hokkien stereotype.......calculative and stingy is more like LKY aka Hakka (sorrie if offend any bros).....
Hokkien in SEA might sound crude but original Taiwanese hokkien is also machiam poetry like Cantonese......
Me cantonese but all my best friends ex wife included is solid hokkien lang.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
I think the crown of swearing belongs to the Cantonese. Hokkien is a close second.

No amount of 操你妈的逼 from the northerners can compare.

Cantonese/Hokkien swearing is like poetry.

This is my favourite phrase reserved exclusively for "PAP 死仆街咸家鏟生子没屎弗"

lianbeng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think the crown of swearing belongs to the Cantonese. Hokkien is a close second.

No amount of 操你妈的逼 from the northerners can compare.

Cantonese/Hokkien swearing is like poetry.

lianbeng asked: which dialect vulgarities more chorlor? :biggrin:

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I want to know why:

Southern Chinese called themselves 唐人 (Tang Dynasty people), not 华人 (Ethnic Chinese).

Chinatowns all over the world are called 唐人街 not 华人街 or 中国人街

In China, Cantonese is called 粤语 "Yue language" and not 广东话 "Guangdong language". Only Hongkong, Macau and overseas chinese called Cantonese 廣東話 (广东话)

Southern Chinese are very proud of the Tang dynasty whom they perceived as the greatest dynasty in Chinese history ?

Chinatowns all over the world are populated by mostly Southern Chinese.

Yue is an old Chinese name for Guangdong province. likewise Minnan for Fujian. during the Ming Dynasty, they used to say Min-Yue provinces referring to Fujian and Guangdong regions.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I want to know why:

t'ang court survivors and refugees from the north moved south in droves before and during the fall of the t'ang dynasty. they brought along scholars, soldiers, skills to the south in a massive migration.

when the dynasty was at its peak, outlying areas to t'ang china wanted to emulate the cultural and political excellence that t'ang subjects enjoyed. envoys were sent to the capital of t'ang to live and learn, so that they could return home years later with knowledge acquired. korea and japan sent envoys and students. the same could be said about the southern regions of china, before they became vassal states of the t'ang. it was prideful among less civilized regions then to emulate t'ang ways and be recognized as a t'ang subject. it meant that one was a "citizen" of a powerful empire much like the yearning of non-romans wanting to be citizens of rome at the height of the roman empire. the same can be said of naturalized americans today or british subjects at the peak of the british empire.

when t'ang collapsed and sung took over in the northern capital, the south was still very much t'ang in pockets of governance as t'ang governors in remote provinces had much autonomy. with refugees and survivors crowding the south in each succeeding rise and fall of dynasties, the blending of clans and tongues were inevitable. some "guests" from the north actually created mini-fortresses in the south and lived through generations unmolested by invaders. in enclaves such as swatow and xiamen, the t'ang identity still exists to this day. many t'ang cultural relics and temples of that era were preserved, due to remoteness from invasion, wars, unrest and destruction in the middle and the north.

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Great research bro, will up your points.

It all makes sense after reading your article. When we spoke Hokkien to a group of Japanese they sort of know what we are talking and now I know why.

Better not speak hokkien in front of Japs kenna chuen poh the conversation.

HOKKIEN IS ONE OF THE FEW SURVIVING CHINESE LANGUAGES FROM THE TANG DYNASTY

If you're a Hokkien, do you know Hokkien is the Ancient Imperial Language of China - over 1,000 Years Ago.

If you're a HOKKIEN Take Note !!

You'll be Surprised. You have heard it. You, your parents, or grandparents may still be speaking this ancient, archaic language!

Yes, it's HOKKIEN (Fujian/Minnan Hua 福建话/闽南话)

Cosmos10

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Teochew nang. Ka ki nang :smile:

[video=youtube;x60ZWyzulw8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x60ZWyzulw8[/video]

Last edited: