• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Tan Yong Soon "Tio Kan" by Defence Minister Teo Chee Hean

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
No ordinary civil servant - top of the grade Perm Sec, the guys who finalises policy and has no clue what is going on. The words empathy, common sense, decency appears to have no relevance.

This is not poor judgement. The whole world was facing a massive liquidity crunch never seen before. Blue Chip banks were going to the wire, people were losing jobs and he was having the time of his life.

What about the imbecile press?

SAF Scholars somemore...

The illustrious list of past SAF overseas scholars includes:

Prime Minister, Mr Lee Hsien Loong
Minister for Defence, Mr Teo Chee Hean
Minister for Foreign Affairs, Mr George Yeo
Minister for Trade and Industry, Mr Lim Hng Kiang
Minister in the Prime Minister's Office and Second Minister for National Development, Mr Lim Swee Say
Minister of State (Ministry of Education), Rear-Admiral (NS) Lui Tuck Yew
Chief of Defence Force, Lieutenant-General Ng Yat Chung
Chief of Army, Major-General Desmond Kuek
Chief of Navy, Rear-Admiral Ronnie Tay
Chief of Air Force, Brigadier-General Ng Chee Khern
Head of Civil Service and Permanent Secretary (Foreign Affairs), Mr Peter Ho
Permanent Secretary (Defence Development), Dr Tan Kim Siew
Permanent Secretary (Education), Lieutenant-General (NS) Lim Chuan Poh
Permanent Secretary (Transport), Brigadier-General (NS) Choi Shing Kwok
Permanent Secretary (Environment and Water Resources), Mr Tan Yong Soon
Brigadier-General (NS) Lam Joon Khoi, CEO of Singapore Land Authority.

http://www.mindef.gov.sg/imindef/news_and_events/nr/2006/aug/12aug06_nr.html.print.html?Status=1

Can demote this guy to PRIVATE?:smile:

Hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
SAF Scholars somemore...

The illustrious list of past SAF overseas scholars includes:

Prime Minister, Mr Lee Hsien Loong
Minister for Defence, Mr Teo Chee Hean
Minister for Foreign Affairs, Mr George Yeo
Minister for Trade and Industry, Mr Lim Hng Kiang
Minister in the Prime Minister's Office and Second Minister for National Development, Mr Lim Swee Say
Minister of State (Ministry of Education), Rear-Admiral (NS) Lui Tuck Yew
Chief of Defence Force, Lieutenant-General Ng Yat Chung
Chief of Army, Major-General Desmond Kuek
Chief of Navy, Rear-Admiral Ronnie Tay
Chief of Air Force, Brigadier-General Ng Chee Khern
Head of Civil Service and Permanent Secretary (Foreign Affairs), Mr Peter Ho
Permanent Secretary (Defence Development), Dr Tan Kim Siew
Permanent Secretary (Education), Lieutenant-General (NS) Lim Chuan Poh
Permanent Secretary (Transport), Brigadier-General (NS) Choi Shing Kwok
Permanent Secretary (Environment and Water Resources), Mr Tan Yong Soon
Brigadier-General (NS) Lam Joon Khoi, CEO of Singapore Land Authority.

http://www.mindef.gov.sg/imindef/news_and_events/nr/2006/aug/12aug06_nr.html.print.html?Status=1

Can demote this guy to PRIVATE?:smile:
You have in one storke,pointed out the problems that this red dot faces!and it is w/o doubt,the doing of MM Lee.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just like general perm sec 'chef' Tan, you don't get it eh:rolleyes:

If Tan was in the private sector no one would give a rat's arse save perhaps for the shareholders since it appears that his organisation could carry on fine without him for 5 straight weeks, but Tan is a civil servant being paid a huge salary. The disconnect is plain and clear to see, yet another example of the growing divide between the PAP elites and the average Singgie.

At least he got balls to say he goes there to have lunch or dinner at a posh French restuarant.....do you have balls to say anything about what you do with yr money.....?

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hey I don't think ST should bear any blame for this one. All responsibility and accountability should lie squarely at the door of general perm sec 'chef' Tan. ST did not put a gun to his head for this interview, Tan appeared to lap up the publicity. Well all I can say to Tan is hubris.

I thought that as well but usually SPH staff will get a warning letter in their file for this kind of thing. I suspect it was a slip as they are paid a premuim to portray this fucking regime in good light.

I would transfer this PS to sit with the Minister without portfolio Lim Boon Heng. That would be punsihment anough.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hey I don't think ST should bear any blame for this one. All responsibility and accountability should lie squarely at the door of general perm sec 'chef' Tan. ST did not put a gun to his head for this interview, Tan appeared to lap up the publicity. Well all I can say to Tan is hubris.
Agree, its just me and my undying bias towards SPH.

zuoom

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree, its just me and my undying bias towards SPH.
this time round, the papers did Mr. "tio kan" in.

maybe the idea in the first place is to assure the public.. "see, we are still ok. can still spend big money."

but it backfired big time.

he would be made the scrapegoat/example for being so detach, so far away from the common people. as some of us would call them... the "elites".

STUCK_HERE

Alfrescian
Loyal

14k8f3p.jpg

"KNN! What i do with my own money is my business!
Like that also Tio Kan!"

You are rich, that's no problem. It is because you are BOASTFUL, that's what done you in. Clown!

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
this time round, the papers did Mr. "tio kan" in.

maybe the idea in the first place is to assure the public.. "see, we are still ok. can still spend big money."

but it backfired big time.

he would be made the scrapegoat/example for being so detach, so far away from the common people. as some of us would call them... the "elites".

You are spot on. They are so detached that they are living in a world of their own. Many years ago, when I told close associates that there were married couples in the civil service at the age of 32 who are drawing 400K a year, they could not believe it.

Now the figure is 700K without bonus. They holiday in remote places, they golf at Sentosa and not SICC, their lives revolve around Alpha club until the highly competitive nature causes friction. They tend seek religion in new age churches.

Contrary to popular belief, Social Engineering has not ended. Scholars are encouraged to mate one another. There are special sessions held before and after 1st year for this of their scholarship. It has become a society by itself.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
I wonder what people like Dr Goh, Hon, Joe Pillay, Bogaars, Andrew Chew and perhaps even Kwa Soon Bee would have to say about this sort of 'ethos'.

You are spot on. They are so detached that they are living in a world of their own. Many years ago, when I told close associates that there were married couples in the civil service at the age of 32 who are drawing 400K a year, they could not believe it.

Now the figure is 700K without bonus. They holiday in remote places, they golf at Sentosa and not SICC, their lives revolve around Alpha club until the highly competitive nature causes friction. They tend seek religion in new age churches.

Contrary to popular belief, Social Engineering has not ended. Scholars are encouraged to mate one another. There are special sessions held before and after 1st year for this of their scholarship. It has become a society by itself.

JohnTT

Alfrescian
Loyal
It simply shows that this perm sec Tan is very insensitive & boastful. It also means he does not have the right frame of mind & unfit to work in govt body. Wonder why the govt still use such people after knowing all these. Really very disappointed with the present govt. :(

Some action should be taken against him. Otherwise this guy will still be cocky, & coming out with unrealistic policy from the comfort of his office.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You have in one storke,pointed out the problems that this red dot faces!and it is w/o doubt,the doing of MM Lee.

That is why, secretly I love Harry Lee! :biggrin: , while 'Rome' burns, "Nero" fiddle..ala Tan Yong Soon.

I remember way back in 1998, during the Asian Financial Crises, when many lost, were loosing or in the process of loosing their jobs; my friend mentioned this to me, with regards to his CIVIL SERVANT'S relatives. Over family dinners, they were talking about their house purchases, their car purchases, their holidays, their children attending this & that; while the rest were facing GRIM future.

So, while "Rome" burn, the CIVIL SERVANTS, "Neros", fiddles...:mad:, this will create deep chasm between the 'have' & the 'have-nots'; a disatrous social problem in the future. Resentment, envy, etc..will set in, resulting in verbal abuses, maybe lynching...in worst cases, burning, etc...

Teo Chee Hean, did the right thing in censoring this Tan Yong Soon...I think, it is too little, too late!...the rot had already started!..scary!:eek:

Avantas

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Por,

ST should have VETTED the article before publishing it. It shows the editor in charge has no common sense to moderate Tan's tone and style to make it more palatable to the general public.

Though Tan was not coerced to write for ST, the onus is still on them to ensure that the article's authencity and suitability. Otherwise, any Tom, Dick and Harry can just write rubbish and get published on the national press.

Avantas

Alfrescian
Loyal
The government has no choice but to censure Teo after wayangparty.com and other blogs blow the matter up that even Reuters reported on it.

Watch the CNA video clip here:

http://wayangparty.com/2009/01/19/b...onse-from-minister-and-head-of-civil-service/

That is why, secretly I love Harry Lee! :biggrin: , while 'Rome' burns, "Nero" fiddle..ala Tan Yong Soon.

I remember way back in 1998, during the Asian Financial Crises, when many lost, were loosing or in the process of loosing their jobs; my friend mentioned this to me, with regards to his CIVIL SERVANT'S relatives. Over family dinners, they were talking about their house purchases, their car purchases, their holidays, their children attending this & that; while the rest were facing GRIM future.

So, while "Rome" burn, the CIVIL SERVANTS, "Neros", fiddles...:mad:, this will create deep chasm between the 'have' & the 'have-nots'; a disatrous social problem in the future. Resentment, envy, etc..will set in, resulting in verbal abuses, maybe lynching...in worst cases, burning, etc...

Teo Chee Hean, did the right thing in censoring this Tan Yong Soon...I think, it is too little, too late!...the rot had already started!..scary!:eek:

denzuko1

Alfrescian
Loyal
14k8f3p.jpg

"I want to show off how much money I have also got problem? What I do in my spare time is my business. Bragging about how I spend my easy money IS private."

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
exactly, it is his life. But why does he needs to publish his spending in the newspaper. And why it is approved to be published?

Last edited:

Hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
The government has no choice but to censure Teo after wayangparty.com and other blogs blow the matter up that even Reuters reported on it.

Watch the CNA video clip here:

http://wayangparty.com/2009/01/19/b...onse-from-minister-and-head-of-civil-service/
Why scary?

If you know what is going on,appart fr telling the tooth here,you should make preparation for yrself and yr family.

As to the 66.67%,let them be,they love MM Lee,they are the silly ants crawling on the hot wok,still happily enjoy life.

One who does not know what is bad is blessed,as they live a happy life(long or short)till they die.

denzuko1

Alfrescian
Loyal
exactly, it is his life. But why does he needs to publish his spending in the newspaper. And why it is approved to be published?

I am sure that he has a highest positive intention.

He knows that the market is doing very badly and that Singaporeans are suffering as a result. The problem is that the top people in Public sector is still not doing anything to show that "We are all on the same boat".

So to make all his bosses listen, he goes on a journey, spending obscene amount of money to learn cooking for him and his family. Then publishes it on ST, letting everyone knows that the top civil servants has too much money and can't even find a place to spend.

His strategy works. Not only that it opens up a can of worms, causing an up to 20% force cut in the top Civil servants' salary, it also added the government emphasis of "family come first" message. I think he will go a long way in a creative way to help th people while passing on Government's agenda in Family Friend Singapore.

All Hail Tan Yong Soon!!!!!
:biggrin::biggrin:

pia

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Por,

ST should have VETTED the article before publishing it. It shows the editor in charge has no common sense to moderate Tan's tone and style to make it more palatable to the general public.

Though Tan was not coerced to write for ST, the onus is still on them to ensure that the article's authencity and suitability. Otherwise, any Tom, Dick and Harry can just write rubbish and get published on the national press.

On the contrary,I tend to support the unvetted and open reporting. Wakes up the man-in-the-street and cheng hu as well. We can do with more of these.

birdman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tan Yong Soon's quote.

"Taking five weeks leave from work is not as difficult as one thinks. Most times when you are at the top, you think you are indispensable. But if you are a good leader who has built up a good team, it is possible."

070730_mediaclub_living.jpg