• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Tan Yong Soon "Tio Kan" by Defence Minister Teo Chee Hean

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Wonder why the govt still use such people after knowing all these. Really very disappointed with the present govt. :(

Some action should be taken against him. Otherwise this guy will still be cocky, & coming out with unrealistic policy from the comfort of his office.

Many useless good-for-nothing souls hiding under pap umbrella find it a good money and relaxing job. They knew they cannot make it great in private sector so they have to constantly suck to the white scum for living. Thus you beat them to death they also won't relent and die die must work as civil servants.厚 着 脸皮, 打死 都 不走 in hokkien is called "PA SI BUAY ZAO!"

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
From what I see, only a slight slap on the wrist - no pain.

Maybe Minister Teo shld also reprimand Minister Wong for allowing Mas Selamat to escape for one year liao and cannot even smell his fart.

VeryWise

Alfrescian
Loyal
Spending $45K for a family trip is actually not a big deal. It's a lot of money definitely...almost my entire annual income but if it's something that he could afford, well then it's really none of our business. However, having said that, because of his special position, being in the high echelon of the civil service, by publicising his family trip in the National papers does come across as being boastful at this tough economy times. It just projects an image that these high-ranking officials in the government have lost touch with the ground and gives an impression that personal gratification is more important than helping the common ppl. You might say that there are many ppl in the private sectors, for example, bankers, spending even more on luxurious trips. Well, you can say I have double-standard. I believe the 2 creatures are totally different. Private bankers are in their jobs because they love the money and they certainly have the rights to spend them any way they liked. For our Elite Civil Services, I seriously do not wish to see only money-grabbers. I am not envy with their pay...I am ok with that if they still come out with good policies that can help the general population in good and bad times. Of course, it will be good too if they do not flaunt their wealth too blatantly.

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
.........why dun Gay Loong do it himself.

This is a very typical S _ _ Officer mentality-being a nice guy infront and than in the same breath ask the Platoon Sgt/CSM/RSM to screw up everybody when he is not around.

At one time they encouraged reservist with rank of Major and above to use their rank even in their civy life. They stopped once they realised a more senior General eg Major/Lt General may end up saluting a "junior" BG (namely LHL ) .If LHL is to do it, he will have to promote himself to "local" Mg Gen so that he can discipline a BG. Now we have a Navy telling off an Army Guy.

Anyway the 2 weeks lag time showed clearly one thing-they actually did not intend to do it but was forced to react.
We have a bunch of highest paid people in thew world who only know how to follow and react.They are not innovative as the answers are not in the textbooks.That is what scholars are good for-referring to textbook. Once the textbooks do not have the answers they are lost - as seen from they way they are reacting in a piecemeal and stopgap way to the economic crisis.

Charlie9

Alfrescian
Loyal
I thought that as well but usually SPH staff will get a warning letter in their file for this kind of thing. I suspect it was a slip as they are paid a premuim to portray this fucking regime in good light.

I would transfer this PS to sit with the Minister without portfolio Lim Boon Heng. That would be punsihment anough.

Perhaps, the govt or civil service may wish to downgrade him, and transfer him to a ministry where there is nothing for him to do, and he may eventually resign. Thereafter, let us see whether this scholar is able to command a "market level compensation."

JohnTT

Alfrescian
Loyal
From what I see, only a slight slap on the wrist - no pain.

Maybe Minister Teo shld also reprimand Minister Wong for allowing Mas Selamat to escape for one year liao and cannot even smell his fart.

Most likely a mosquito sting.

What can Teo do? Can't blame him. Don't forget when Mas Selamat escaped, DPM Wong went unpunished b'cos PM Lee embraces his bad performance. This is the culture that they are nurturing now.

Charlie9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Should pair him with Lim Suay Suay and get him to listen to LSS's spoken england 24/7/365 minus 5 weeks.

Is that suaku's English that bad. Fortunately, I have never met him nor spoke to him.
I would have thought an SAF Overseas Scholar like him, and apparently from Catholic High School, should speak better than average English.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Perhaps, the govt or civil service may wish to downgrade him, and transfer him to a ministry where there is nothing for him to do, and he may eventually resign. Thereafter, let us see whether this scholar is able to command a "market level compensation."

Pretty serious that he got an official warning letter in his personal file. Anyway they will not be overly harsh on him as they need "strong loyalty" from the highly politicised upper echelon of the civil service. Some of them are actually doing political work such as People Association which should not be the case.

I am sure this rebuke is for letting the cat out of the bag. For years, old man made sure this sons travelled using a Honda Accord while his security detail followed him in a more expensive Volva. That myth has been compromised somewhat by this incident.

Charlie9

Alfrescian
Loyal
SAF Scholars somemore...

The illustrious list of past SAF overseas scholars includes:

Prime Minister, Mr Lee Hsien Loong
Minister for Defence, Mr Teo Chee Hean
Minister for Foreign Affairs, Mr George Yeo
Minister for Trade and Industry, Mr Lim Hng Kiang
Minister in the Prime Minister's Office and Second Minister for National Development, Mr Lim Swee Say
Minister of State (Ministry of Education), Rear-Admiral (NS) Lui Tuck Yew
Chief of Defence Force, Lieutenant-General Ng Yat Chung
Chief of Army, Major-General Desmond Kuek
Chief of Navy, Rear-Admiral Ronnie Tay
Chief of Air Force, Brigadier-General Ng Chee Khern
Head of Civil Service and Permanent Secretary (Foreign Affairs), Mr Peter Ho
Permanent Secretary (Defence Development), Dr Tan Kim Siew
Permanent Secretary (Education), Lieutenant-General (NS) Lim Chuan Poh
Permanent Secretary (Transport), Brigadier-General (NS) Choi Shing Kwok
Permanent Secretary (Environment and Water Resources), Mr Tan Yong Soon
Brigadier-General (NS) Lam Joon Khoi, CEO of Singapore Land Authority.

http://www.mindef.gov.sg/imindef/news_and_events/nr/2006/aug/12aug06_nr.html.print.html?Status=1

Can demote this guy to PRIVATE?:smile:

Finally, we get to see one of the weaknesses of the continuing to grow the mafia class of scholars. Those SAF Overseas Scholar Officers were deemed to be excellent, and any superior officer writing an assessment for one of them when they were LTA and CPT, could not get away with providing an above average, otherwise, during the old days, the superior has to justify it or re-write to excellent or outstanding.

They may be outstanding in their academic studies, and smart, but there are many of them who should not be wherre they are. With respect, I question the panel of individuals who interviewed them and gave the scholarship to them. I would rather give it to an individual with 3 A's who displays a passion, empathy and desire to serve his country, instead of one with 4 A's (besides his looks suck)

Charlie9

Alfrescian
Loyal
You are spot on. They are so detached that they are living in a world of their own. Many years ago, when I told close associates that there were married couples in the civil service at the age of 32 who are drawing 400K a year, they could not believe it.

Now the figure is 700K without bonus. They holiday in remote places, they golf at Sentosa and not SICC, their lives revolve around Alpha club until the highly competitive nature causes friction. They tend seek religion in new age churches.

Contrary to popular belief, Social Engineering has not ended. Scholars are encouraged to mate one another. There are special sessions held before and after 1st year for this of their scholarship. It has become a society by itself.

Fuck, and pardon my language, no scholar or civil servant, especially a 32-year old with less than ten years experience, deserve to be paid $400,000 a year. They are overpaid. If they wish to leave after serving their bond, please let them leave to seek their fortune in non-govt affiliated entities.

It is not a society by itself, it is the mafia, and they look after the ingerest of their own mafioso.

Brother [scroobal], more material for your next episode. All of the individuals in the civil service and private sector should walk out for a day, and let's see whether they can fire all the real workers.

Charlie9

Alfrescian
Loyal
That is why, secretly I love Harry Lee! :biggrin: , while 'Rome' burns, "Nero" fiddle..ala Tan Yong Soon.

I remember way back in 1998, during the Asian Financial Crises, when many lost, were loosing or in the process of loosing their jobs; my friend mentioned this to me, with regards to his CIVIL SERVANT'S relatives. Over family dinners, they were talking about their house purchases, their car purchases, their holidays, their children attending this & that; while the rest were facing GRIM future.

So, while "Rome" burn, the CIVIL SERVANTS, "Neros", fiddles...:mad:, this will create deep chasm between the 'have' & the 'have-nots'; a disatrous social problem in the future. Resentment, envy, etc..will set in, resulting in verbal abuses, maybe lynching...in worst cases, burning, etc...

Teo Chee Hean, did the right thing in censoring this Tan Yong Soon...I think, it is too little, too late!...the rot had already started!..scary!:eek:

Good post, brother.

With respect, if those scholars and elites lose touch, and become insensitive, they may face the wrath of those who have nothing to lose. Desperate individuals may resort to desperate and apparently irrational acts.

The continuing widening divide between the Have and Have Not may eventually cause social unrest. Hopefully LKY will wake up and leave a legacy of true "demoncrazy", allow true "opposition" (please refer to [scroobal] episodes of Tales from the Istana). Regardless of his life time work and successes, LKY's policies appear to have resulted in significant weaknesses which may cause the downfall of Singapore. Amongst others, his policies have resulted in overly materialism and/or greed where money and wealth exceeds other values. Did I hear Asian or Confucian values?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Fuck, and pardon my language, no scholar or civil servant, especially a 32-year old with less than ten years experience, deserve to be paid $400,000 a year. They are overpaid. If they wish to leave after serving their bond, please let them leave to seek their fortune in non-govt affiliated entities.

Now you know why the civil service payscale which was publicly available previously is no longer available.

Charlie9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Pretty serious that he got an official warning letter in his personal file. Anyway they will not be overly harsh on him as they need "strong loyalty" from the highly politicised upper echelon of the civil service. Some of them are actually doing political work such as People Association which should not be the case.

I am sure this rebuke is for letting the cat out of the bag. For years, old man made sure this sons travelled using a Honda Accord while his security detail followed him in a more expensive Volva. That myth has been compromised somewhat by this incident.

Perhaps, those residing in SG would do us a favour by compiling and posting here, the motor vehicles driven by the list of former SAF Scholars. In the past, the Old Man made sure that they do not flaunt their wealth, but now that they have overpaid those scholar senior civil servants, they may have inadvertently made them arrogant and cocky. Would the govt please provide a list of successful former scholars in the non govt affiliated sector, to justify that they should be paid some $400,000 at age 32 or thereabouts?

Charlie9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Now you know why the civil service payscale which was publicly available previously is no longer available.

Thank you, otherwise I thought those amounts were still publicly available.
I recall from my past reading of "Yawning Bread" that Alex provided a detailed analysis of the "market level compensation" with charts and graphs.

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal

I wanted to comment more on this but given the sensitivity i will say "That's true".

In my view, it is not the fact that Perm Sec Tan Yong Soon choose to spend his money on a cooking course that is the issue - after all that is what he earned.

Rather it is the salary scale which is justified so much and the implications of that salary scale in creating a large divide between themselves and the people they are supposed to serve: "a government for the people" and translating it as "a government for themselves".

And the view that they are gods in Mt PAP with lesser mortals below.

cleareyes

Alfrescian
Loyal
No ordinary civil servant - top of the grade Perm Sec, the guys who finalises policy and has no clue what is going on. The words empathy, common sense, decency appears to have no relevance.

This is not poor judgement. The whole world was facing a massive liquidity crunch never seen before. Blue Chip banks were going to the wire, people were losing jobs and he was having the time of his life.

What about the imbecile press?

Knowing that ST actually have internal censorship, its a surprise that TAN's artcile was allowed to be printed.

its as if someone in MITA or ST wanted to sabo Tan and put him in a bad light.

If that is so, then the person had achived his aim very very well. Tan is an idiot to have allow it to happen himself.

Charlie9

Alfrescian
Loyal
I wanted to comment more on this but given the sensitivity i will say "That's true".

In my view, it is not the fact that Perm Sec Tan Yong Soon choose to spend his money on a cooking course that is the issue - after all that is what he earned.

Rather it is the salary scale which is justified so much and the implications of that salary scale in creating a large divide between themselves and the people they are supposed to serve: "a government for the people" and translating it as "a government for themselves".

That Mr. Tan cannot be GOD, because if he anywhere near GOD, or God-like, he would have donated at least ten percent of his earnings/income.

I would like to know the portion those elites donate to charity and social entities.

Would Mr. Tan and/or Mr. Teo and/or the Honourable Prime Minister respond?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

There are 2 components to the salary. The "fair" component and the "loyalty" component. One is for the work done and the other is to buy the loyalty. They did this successfully with SPH Journalist. Citibank in the 80s and 90s also had a renumeration package that was always higher than its next biggest rival Chase Manhattan Bank. This was to prevent transfer of knowledge. Even if the staff performed badly, they were retained in the back office.

Naturally the gap between citizens and this group will grow. The quid pro quo arrangement was that we pay you well but do not flaunt it.

And you are right about the gods higher in "Mt PAP" Very nicely put.

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just like general perm sec 'chef' Tan, you don't get it eh:rolleyes:

If Tan was in the private sector no one would give a rat's arse save perhaps for the shareholders since it appears that his organisation could carry on fine without him for 5 straight weeks, but Tan is a civil servant being paid a huge salary. The disconnect is plain and clear to see, yet another example of the growing divide between the PAP elites and the average Singgie.

Good one Porfirio.

When I read it, i thought he made a ridiculous point and not worth replying to. But you made a good reply :smile:

This divide will do them in as they had embarked on a path of no return.

Even those who walked on two legs have no defence when the lesser mortals decide in their hearts "enough is enough".

lolabunny

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hey I don't think ST should bear any blame for this one. All responsibility and accountability should lie squarely at the door of general perm sec 'chef' Tan. ST did not put a gun to his head for this interview, Tan appeared to lap up the publicity. Well all I can say to Tan is hubris.

What is hubris? :p:wink: