• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Tan Kin Lian replies to "smears"

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
18 June 2011
Smears in blogs

There are a few people who have posted untrue statements about my past activities and current intentions in several blogs and websites.

Briefly, the remarks about me were:

 I have served as a powerful PAP branch secretary for 30 years

 I was disgruntled for not being invited to be a PAP MP

 I have been silent on national issues until recently

 Like other insurance companies, I was ripping off the policyholders of Income

 I used the opportunity of the mini-bond saga for political purpose

I wish to give the following statements, so that fair minded people can make their judgment of the facts and my character.

PAP Branch Secretary

I was branch secretary for Marine Parade for 3 years. I stepped down to become the chairman of the community center management committee. I did not want to hold many positions at the same time, and do not wish to be a "powerful" branch secretary. That position did not have much influence during my time, apart from organizing the weekly meet-the-people session.
(Sorry, to give away this 'party secret').

Serving as PAP MP

I did not aspire to be a MP under the PAP. I was asked twice if I was interested, once in 1979 and again in 1985 (not sure about the dates).

I declined on both occasions - as I believed that a MP should be a full time job and I cannot do justice to this job, while running NTUC Income as the chief executive officer. I had a stronger
reason in 1985, as I disagreed with the direction of the party policy (on national service, graduate mother scheme, etc).

Writing to the media

Over the past 25 years, I have written many letters that were published in the newspapers on several issues where I took positions that were different from the prevailing government
policies.

Most notable were my views about national service - which disadvantaged our male citizens in competing for jobs against females and non-citizens. I believed then that it would have a
significant negative impact on our country. We have now seen the decline in marriage and birth rates - of which national service for males is an important factor (but not the sole factor).

I have also made several suggestions on public transport, protection of consumers and other matters of concern to ordinary citizens. In most cases, there was no reply from the relevant
authority – apart from the cursory acknowledgement. Many people knew me and my views through my letters published to the newspapers.

Serving the policyholders

Many policyholders of NTUC Income know that I run the insurance cooperative on the principles of honesty and fairness and in their best interests. I kept expenses low and was able
to provide an attractive return on their life insurance savings, which is much better than those offered by other insurance companies. They are able to see the difference in how policyholders are treated, after I have retired from Income.

Helping the victims

The victims of the mini-bond saga knew that my primary purpose was to help them as much as I could during the difficult times. They appreciated my efforts and do not harbor any suspicion
that I had a political motive (which I did not).

Many of them urged me to stand for Presidential Election so that they have a chance to vote for someone who is able to be independent of the Government. Several of them have written their endorsements of my character.

Tan Kin Lian

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Couple of observations in regard to his response to allegations of smear.

1) He needs to understand that there is distinct difference between smear and adverse comments or comments that are not flattering.

2) The following are facts;
- he was a branch secretary of Marine Parade which is the highest ranking party post after the MP in a constituency
- He was chairman of Marine CCC which is a political appointment and the most important committee in a constituency
- He was also the chairman of the Marine Parade Community Centre Management committee
- He was a cadre member of the PAP for 30 years
- He headed NTUC Income for 30 years
- NTUC is a political body and a sister organisation of PAP
- NTUC Income has a captive market share courtesy of the PAP and the Govt

The PAP does not give such posts to any Tom, Dick and Harry. While he was holding these posts, Chia Thye Poh was still a guest of the PAP.

3) Many people including PAP MPs have made comments that went against the Govt and PAP. They include Tan Cheng Bock, Wan Soon Bee , Tan Soo Khoon, Lily Kong etc. I can't recall Tan Kin Lian ever making an adverse comment that had similar impact or came close to that. Can anyone recall he ever doing prior to his retirement? All we can recall is that having enjoyed the fruits of PAP for over 30 years and after retirement, he is now claiming to be a freedom fighter. That's like asking a convicted pedophile who has reformed to run a kindergarten.

4) Thousands of people have written to the Press on many things and the majority are adverse comments. I can't recall a single letter of his and probably it was not earth shattering. By the way writing letters to the press does not earn anyone any credit or certainly the office of President. There has to be a clear pattern of thought and opinion and a distinct reputation is earned.

5) No one has accused him of not serving NTUC income policy holders. I am beginning to worry about his poor comprehension of English which is crucial if he is going to give assent to bills that will eventually become law. The claims are that NTUC Income has a captive market and he enjoyed the benefits of being a PAP member.

6) His claim that he was invited to be an MP twice but was declined can best be addressed by naming those who requested him to do so. It similar to me making the false claim that 2 cabinet ministers asking me to be MP. It is a hollow claim and notice how easily one can make the claim. Its common knowledge that Tan Kin Lian was asked to move on. I am sure if he was well regarded he will have no qualms naming the person or persons who asked him to be an MP. After all he is running for the highest public office and Singaporeans are keen to make an informed judgment. Those who approached him if they really value him would have no problem acting as referees.

7) The claim that he did not take up the offer of MP is that he was occupied by work. Tan Cheng Bock was running a medical practice. Davinder Singh, MD of Drew and Napier, all the cabinet ministers are not full time MP. What about Chiam, LTK and MAO. 99% of parlimentarians around the world have a day job. By the way NTUC Income is serving a captive market and it does not operate outside Singapore. Even at the time, there was no town councils to occupy the MP.

8) He was asked for his past history of being associated with social work and or charities. All he could claim was mini-bond. Quite a worry for someone who claims that he wants to help Singapore. People who bought mini-bonds are actually those who have savings and those who had surplus income. Not exactly a charitable act in my opinion.

As far as I can tell this guy has been moving around opposition parties and exploiting the gullibles ones for air time and exposure. Just go to Youtube and watch his rally speeches. No substance but general motherhood statements about fairness, Justice, equality etc. You be the judge.

Most importantly from his reply you can see that he likes obfuscating to make claims that he was unfairly smeared.

- Nobody ever claimed that he was branch secretary for 30 years. The claim was that he was enjoying the benefits of running NTUC Income for 30 years. He was also a PAP cadre member for 30 years.
- Nobody ever claimed that he was silent of issues. The claim was while enjoying the fruits of his time with PAP/NTUC for over 30 years he kept silent.
- Nobody ever claimed that he was ripping his policyholders. The claim was that he was given a captive market and enjoying it

Either he has poor comprehension of English or he is developing the art of obfuscation but quite poor it.

7)

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
831BA9888101E54FC7867662FC43.jpg

I, Goh Meng Seng, Secretary-General of the National Solitary Party, mentor of the very popular Nicole Seah, senior party member to Tony, Hazel and Jeannette, am proud to call Tan Kin Liang a friend. I had informed you people earlier that Tan Kin Liang will issue a statement soon and now it had now been proven how honest I am as an Opposition Heavyweight.

Now don't forget to vote for me after this Executive Presidential Election episode in GE 2016!

If I don't emerge victorious in 2016, I will move out of Singapore for good!:mad:

And I promise I will sell away something very dear to me to finance that political campaign.:(

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
hahaha.....i had said that I am not voting because i don't care who is going to be the next EP.
however all these smears and incessant attacks on tkl made me change my mind.
if it is a straight fight between TCB & TKL, 3 votes from my family will go to TKL.....

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
hahaha.....i had said that I am not voting because i don't care who is going to be the next EP.
however all these smears and incessant attacks on tkl made me change my mind.
if it is a straight fight between TCB & TKL, 3 votes from my family will go to TKL.....

Please don't do that because of this thread. I have heard things from people who know him but had only 1 encounter with him - not very good lah.

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
Please don't do that because of this thread. I have heard things from people who know him but had only 1 encounter with him - not very good lah.
hahaha.......for sure tkl is no saint.
i also did not ask anybody to vote for him.
but kukubird cannot stand pple trying to behave like a "i know everything" demi god.

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
hahaha.......for sure tkl is no saint.
i also did not ask anybody to vote for him.
but kukubird cannot stand pple trying to behave like a "i know everything" demi god.

You frightened me. Actually most info are public knowledge. When someone wrote about son-in-law, I was hoping for more.... about the daughter.

cleareyes

Alfrescian
Loyal
18 June 2011
Smears in blogs

There are a few people who have posted untrue statements about my past activities and current intentions in several blogs and websites.

Briefly, the remarks about me were:

 I have served as a powerful PAP branch secretary for 30 years

 I was disgruntled for not being invited to be a PAP MP

 I have been silent on national issues until recently

 Like other insurance companies, I was ripping off the policyholders of Income

 I used the opportunity of the mini-bond saga for political purpose

I wish to give the following statements, so that fair minded people can make their judgment of the facts and my character.

PAP Branch Secretary

I was branch secretary for Marine Parade for 3 years. I stepped down to become the chairman of the community center management committee. I did not want to hold many positions at the same time, and do not wish to be a "powerful" branch secretary. That position did not have much influence during my time, apart from organizing the weekly meet-the-people session.
(Sorry, to give away this 'party secret').

Serving as PAP MP

I did not aspire to be a MP under the PAP. I was asked twice if I was interested, once in 1979 and again in 1985 (not sure about the dates).

I declined on both occasions - as I believed that a MP should be a full time job and I cannot do justice to this job, while running NTUC Income as the chief executive officer. I had a stronger
reason in 1985, as I disagreed with the direction of the party policy (on national service, graduate mother scheme, etc).

Writing to the media

Over the past 25 years, I have written many letters that were published in the newspapers on several issues where I took positions that were different from the prevailing government
policies.

Most notable were my views about national service - which disadvantaged our male citizens in competing for jobs against females and non-citizens. I believed then that it would have a
significant negative impact on our country. We have now seen the decline in marriage and birth rates - of which national service for males is an important factor (but not the sole factor).

I have also made several suggestions on public transport, protection of consumers and other matters of concern to ordinary citizens. In most cases, there was no reply from the relevant
authority – apart from the cursory acknowledgement. Many people knew me and my views through my letters published to the newspapers.

Serving the policyholders

Many policyholders of NTUC Income know that I run the insurance cooperative on the principles of honesty and fairness and in their best interests. I kept expenses low and was able
to provide an attractive return on their life insurance savings, which is much better than those offered by other insurance companies. They are able to see the difference in how policyholders are treated, after I have retired from Income.

Helping the victims

The victims of the mini-bond saga knew that my primary purpose was to help them as much as I could during the difficult times. They appreciated my efforts and do not harbor any suspicion
that I had a political motive (which I did not).

Many of them urged me to stand for Presidential Election so that they have a chance to vote for someone who is able to be independent of the Government. Several of them have written their endorsements of my character.

Tan Kin Lian

I dont know who is TKL's image and political advisor, but TKL, instead of making things better or himself, had create more question to be raised.

When very few know of him, now more know of him and asking question of his crediblity.

This is indeed unwise.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
In the 1988 General Elections, an SDP candidate by the name of George Sita stood against Dr Dixie Tan in Ulu Pandan. He lost not only the elections, he lost his job and his livelihood. He was a teacher with NTUC and he got the sack. The PAP and old man made it a big issue in the press and explained the "symbiotic" relationship between the PAP and NTUC to explain why he was sacked and essentially a warning to others. Imagine using worker's union membership fee to play politics.

Subsequently I heard that Dr Dixie Tan was upset by this and with other things coming into play, she did not want to contest the next elections. That episode made such an impression that I understand that she recorded it in the national archives.

Singaporeans generally have accepted the status quo when it comes to politics. With a state controlled press, they have little clue who are the people and the organisations leeching on the rest of Singapore.

When former head of civil service and the current chairman of PSC gave speech to the Alpha Society as the then head of the civil service he alluded to the fact that scholars were not keen on certain posting. These are secondment to NTUC and PA. Despite the perks and career raising profile behind this posting, many refused. It is also common knowledge that many people will not be caught dead working for NTUC or PA.

Then we have Tan Kin Lian who sucked on the PAP system for 30 years and retire from it without raising a concern. And people still cannot connect the dots.

Wait till you see todays reprise of Mother Theresa played by Tan Kin Lian scripted by Wong Wee Nam in TOC. The 3rd opposition candidate that has come up in support of a chap who categorically stated that he has no political affiliation.

scroobal u so bad, u rocked people's boat.

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good question. His publicist just commissioned an article on Mother Theresa but it does not explain why he would be a good President and sadly it looked like an obituary where nice things are said. Wong Wee Nam seem to know all his intimate details. Talk about ghost writing. Imagine taking Tay Koh Yat bus in that era is an achievement. 95% of families did not own a private car then and nearly everyone had to rely on some form of public transport to go to school.

I dont know who is TKL's image and political advisor, but TKL, instead of making things better or himself, had create more question to be raised.

When very few know of him, now more know of him and asking question of his crediblity.

This is indeed unwise.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Scroobal,

The problem is with the system that effectively denies voters real choices by keeping the quality candidates away from the arena.

And since the president has no exec power and cannot participate in day-to-day politics apart from giving token nod to key public service appts, he cannot possibly hope to influence or change anything, so matter who gets in makes little difference. TKL and TCB are not going to be another Ong Teng Cheong. The govt has closed the gap on that.

I don't see WWN as playing a "mother theresa" on TKL. TKL did indeed do well despite his poverty background. Agree that TKL turned "dissident" way to late, compared to TCB who right from the start stood on his own feet and was more intellectually honest. But at the end of the day does it matter? No matter who wins, both will be confined to the system and both will be equally a puppet of the system.

Wait till you see todays reprise of Mother Theresa played by Tan Kin Lian scripted by Wong Wee Nam in TOC. The 3rd opposition candidate that has come up in support of a chap who categorically stated that he has no political affiliation.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree to a point. It's indeed a sterile office but let's have a president that brings back some standing to the office of the head of state.

Many people have come from very poor background. A case in point is Mah Bow Tan whose mum was a washerwoman. It's not where you came from but what you have done that best fits with the office.

Scroobal,

The problem is with the system that effectively denies voters real choices by keeping the quality candidates away from the arena.

SalahParking

Alfrescian
Loyal
I cant believe this x-ntuc guy is responding to non existent smear campaign. The main stream media(which is the vehicle of all smears) has been very kind to this retard. Nobody has yet come on to discredit this egomaniac, so where does his insecurity stem from?

Internet forums(which is not mainstream, therefore cannot be a vehicle for 'smears') are free for all to post, which includes TKL's neighbours, his cousins, wife Vivien's relatives, son's school friends and his beloved phillipino maid, disgruntled ex-colleagues at NTUC and PAP, he should be happy that these people are revealing all his deep dark secrets, in the end, he dont need to bust his brains to write that auto biography book that he intends to sell for profit.$$$$$

victoros

Alfrescian
Loyal
Scroobal. The fact that you are hiding as anonymous but keep shooting aimlessly at Tan Kin Lian does said a lot about your uncharacteristic behavior. Furthermore, you are attempting to portray that you are knowledgeable but I really doubt the genuineness of your stories. This is because you have even admitted that you were making false claim that 2 cabinet ministers were asking you to be MP.

I do believed Tan Kin Lian was asked to contest in the previous elections because he has the reputation back then (as CEO, NTUC Income). But the fact that you are hiding like a drug abuser running away from Central Narcotics Bureau (CNB), we do not know who you are and your background.

Hence, unless you are willing to come forward to identify yourself - and take Tan Kin Lian face on, you are just like "a toddler running behind the mummy while the salesman knocks of their door". I believe many peoples detest such "testicles gutless" people.

Agree to a point. It's indeed a sterile office but let's have a president that brings back some standing to the office of the head of state.

Many people have come from very poor background. A case in point is Mah Bow Tan whose mum was a washerwoman. It's not where you came from but what you have done that best fits with the office.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Getting nasty are we. You mentioned that Tan Kin Lian set up FISCA as an association to protect financial services consumers. Could you explain what is going on with this organisation? I am sure people want to know about our future President and his achievements.

For a start, the following will do
- who are the committee members
- what is the membership size
- how is the membership fee of $36 spent
- how is it connected to his consultancy work

As you see I am being fair minded and looked around for an achievement of his since he left NTUC. I could not any and now with this post I did recall that you mentioned that he setup this association to rescue people.

Any information on this association will be helpful. I am sure this is where you can play a part in promoting someone that you believe in.

In this way, you can help dispel the negative connotations, smears and innuendos cast on this gentleman.

victoros

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am member of the FISCA. Most of your questions are available in the member portal in the FISCA website. For example : Membership size. I recalled it was several hundreds during the last AGM. I suggest you sign-up as a member of FISCA with "fair minded" and I am sure you will be able to meet many good peoples during those FISCA events that they could share with you their impression of Tan Kin Lian and his efforts.

Getting nasty are we. You mentioned that Tan Kin Lian set up FISCA as an association to protect financial services consumers. Could you explain what is going on with this organisation? I am sure people want to know about our future President and his achievements.

For a start, the following will do
- who are the committee members
- what is the membership size
- how is the membership fee of $36 spent
- how is it connected to his consultancy work

As you see I am being fair minded and looked around for an achievement of his since he left NTUC. I could not any and now with this post I did recall that you mentioned that he setup this association to rescue people.

Any information on this association will be helpful. I am sure this is where you can play a part in promoting someone that you believe in.

In this way, you can help dispel the negative connotations, smears and innuendos cast on this gentleman.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I checked the portal as I am keen to find out but all that I asked is not in the forum. The content appears to be similar to investment training academy. Is there a committee in the first place and who are they.

I am member of the FISCA. Most of your questions are available in the member portal in the FISCA website. For example : Membership size. I recalled it was several hundreds during the last AGM. I suggest you sign-up as a member of FISCA with "fair minded" and I am sure you will be able to meet many good peoples during those FISCA events that they could share with you their impression of Tan Kin Lian and his efforts.

victoros

Alfrescian
Loyal
I said "Member Portal". It is a secure section strictly for FISCA member. I suggest that you signup as FISCA member.

You asked " Is there a committee in the first place and who are they ? ". I want to ask whether it is possible to establish an association without a committee ? Please ask Registry of Societies (ROS).

I checked the portal as I am keen to find out but all that I asked is not in the forum. The content appears to be similar to investment training academy. Is there a committee in the first place and who are they.

Last edited:

cleareyes

Alfrescian
Loyal
I said "Member Portal". It is a secure section strictly for FISCA member. I suggest that you signup as FISCA member.

You asked " Is there a committee in the first place and who are they ? ". I want to ask whether it is possible to establish an association without a committee ? Please ask Registry of Societies (ROS).

This seriously sound like an intention to bait.

Why would TKl be afraid of others talk or know about him if the matter is of fact? And if the matter be of not fact, why should TKl even bother at all? Unless such matters by itself is such of matter and hence is truth and damaging?

To get someeone to sign up for an organisation itself just to secure certain information, such a request sounds.....fishy of intent. In fact, unless the information is really upmost sensitive and of national security, i dont see why certain information cannot be put up in forums.