• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Tan Kin Lian - An Opportunist? Let see the Facts

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
Quote from linked article: "Gambling at card games, especially poker or blackjack encourages people to assess and take risk and to learn from their consequences of their decision. It encourages entrepreneurship, something that is lacking in Singapore." Unquote. (this is part of the article only, pls dont say out of context hor)

Play monopoly can also encourage entrepreneurship to the same effect, IMO.

But not the most important issue?
I remember even GMS was so strongly against this.

http://newspapers.nl.sg/Digitised/A...imes,today&fuzzysearch=Off&token=tan,kin,lian

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's well and good that he helped your family. I am sure there is much more that the nation looks for in a president. I have asked if he had done anything else but there is nothing forthcoming. Maybe you can throw some light.

My family will be supporting Tan Kin Lian during presidential election. He is the most suitable man for the job, from your experiences in NTUC income to
helping those who lost money in the financial crises.

Having witnessed Kin Lian speaking up for citizens who were embroiled in the mini-bond saga, I will have to say that I am impressed with the sacrifice that he have made in order to fight for the rights of these citizens.

achia4tkl

Hello New forummer,

Thank you for your first post.
Before you posted this, did you happen to read any of the other posts in this thread? You might have noticed that GMS has already posted the response in full. And the reponse has been responded to as well.

Dear JW5
Thanks for pointing out my boo-boo. Yes, I did read a fair number of the postings but did not then come across this one by GMS. My apologies for the "noise"

Btw, I wonder why posters make such a to-do about whether TKL personally collected the forms or not. I don't recall Ong Teng Cheong (may he RIP) and S R Nathan doing so personally -- anyway recall otherwise?
If we want to dig at any candidate, plse analyse facts and debate substantive issues and not resort to pseudo-psycho analysis.

victoros

Alfrescian
Loyal
I long know when it comes to forming working relations, he doesn't go by what is ideologically similar. He goes by who he can mutually scratch back with.

I can see that many criticisms were raised by Tan Kin Lian's former colleagues at NTUC Income. They took this opportunity to go around smearing and to discredit TKL deliberately. As a policy holder with NTUC Income since my army days and at that time, I don't even know who was their CEO, I must congratulate TKL for all his endeavors to ensure policy holders genuinely benefit from the insurance coverage.

Unfortunately, the current NTUC Income works completely different from the past - and in my opinion, even going against the principal of cooperative. I witness so many times that the management staff trying to "carry balls" of the existing CEO during those outings (for example: kite flying day) or those visiting. Obviously, those Tan Kin Lian's former colleagues are much happy now but I reckon, NTUC Income will loose many customers ultimately.

Tan Kin Lian is not a GOD and I will be surprise if there is no-one complaining about him. However, I am asking for frankness and not twisting the facts to support your arguments. This is very unbecoming.

victoros

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's well and good that he helped your family. I am sure there is much more that the nation looks for in a president. I have asked if he had done anything else but there is nothing forthcoming. Maybe you can throw some light.

Tan Kin Lian has done many other things and I have responded, among them is the formation of the FiSCA and his active contribution on daily issues to MAS, LTA, PTC etc. etc. You may argue that these issues are trivial but I am sure that if he gets elected, he will be able to contribute more in other bigger issues instead. At least, TKL is brave to stand before Singaporeans and offering himself as a candidate. He may even lose his election deposit, which is his hard earned monies. I see so many writers, hiding behind anonymously, and criticizing TKL. I thought these unfair, unjust comments are irrational and ungentlemenly behavior.

victoros

Alfrescian
Loyal

Tan Kin Lian has done many other things and I have responded, among them is the formation of the FiSCA and his active contribution on daily issues to MAS, LTA, PTC etc. etc. You may argue that these issues are trivial but I am sure that if he gets elected, he will be able to contribute more in other bigger issues instead. At least, TKL is brave to stand before Singaporeans and offering himself as a candidate. He may even lose his election deposit, which is his hard earned monies. I see so many writers, hiding behind anonymously, and criticizing TKL. I thought these unfair, unjust comments are irrational and ungentlemenly behavior.

jw5

Loyal
Dear JW5
Thanks for pointing out my boo-boo. Yes, I did read a fair number of the postings but did not then come across this one by GMS. My apologies for the "noise"

Btw, I wonder why posters make such a to-do about whether TKL personally collected the forms or not. I don't recall Ong Teng Cheong (may he RIP) and S R Nathan doing so personally -- anyway recall otherwise?
If we want to dig at any candidate, plse analyse facts and debate substantive issues and not resort to pseudo-psycho analysis.

If TKL had asked his family member or friend who was not a member of any political party to collect the forms, very few people would be saying anything.
People are making a "to-do" because he asked GMS, who by his own admission could not because of a prior engagement, and then asked Png from WP, who did it.
Then he writes in his blog that he would not have any political affiliation as president.
Can you explain that?
Thank you.

Last edited:

victoros

Alfrescian
Loyal
If TKL had asked his family member or friend who was not a member of any political party to collect the forms, very few people would be saying anything. People are making a "to-do" because he asked GMS, who by his own admission could not because of a prior engagement, and then asked Png from WP, who did it. Then he writes in his blog that he would not have any political affiliation as president. Can you explain that?
Thank you.

I want to ask whether Png went to collect those forms holding a WP flag or wearing WP T-Shirt ? I understand Png has explained that he went to collect those forms for Tan Kin Lian as a friend instead. Hence, I do not really understand why some fools are attempting to twist the fact and assume Tan Kin Lian has hidden political affiliation.

I have many friends are party members of the ruling party. We use to go out for golfing almost every weekend. Can you said that I have political affiliation too ? I believe my 5 years old son can answer this question correctly though.

The fact that Png was a WP member cannot be use as an excuse that Tan Kin Lian has hidden political affiliation. This is just like not every girls walking in Geyland are prostitute.

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can an Executive President be at loggerheads with the Cabinet? Can he challenge the PAP with policy issues? Can he have the liberty to commute death sentences?

Why the fuck does Tan Kin Lian want to be President?

The pleasure of having Lee Kuan Yew addressing him as Your Excellency?

Does his Russian son-in-law plays golf? The Istana 9 holer will be crowded with Russian mafiosos??

victoros

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can an Executive President be at loggerheads with the Cabinet? Can he challenge the PAP with policy issues? Can he have the liberty to commute death sentences?

Why the fuck does Tan Kin Lian want to be President?

The pleasure of having Lee Kuan Yew addressing him as Your Excellency?

Does his Russian son-in-law plays golf? The Istana 9 holer will be crowded with Russian mafiosos??

Shame on you, whoever you are. Your wordings show you are such an uncivilized and uneducated person - and targeting Tan Kin Lian with obvious agenda. You are not even fit to raise your arguments here.

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

His 'hard-earned' monies came from his ntuc-income days which came from the even harder-earned monies of ordinary Singaporeans. I laughed very hard when TKL started his own petition drive to elect him for president years ago and if he loses in this EP and his election deposit, this is a measure of his own popularity among the voters and no one else is to be blamed.

victoros

Alfrescian
Loyal
His 'hard-earned' monies came from his ntuc-income days which came from the even harder-earned monies of ordinary Singaporeans. I laughed very hard when TKL started his own petition drive to elect him for president years ago and if he loses in this EP and his election deposit, this is a measure of his own popularity among the voters and no one else is to be blamed.

Well, everyone's monies are hard-earned monies - simply because monies do not fall from the sky, isn't it ?

victoros

Alfrescian
Loyal

Well, everyone's monies are hard-earned monies - simply because monies do not fall from the sky, isn't it ?

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

so now that you concluded that everyone's monies are hard earned, so what makes TKL's so special and apart from yours, mine and the rest?

victoros

Alfrescian
Loyal
so now that you concluded that everyone's monies are hard earned, so what makes TKL's so special and apart from yours, mine and the rest?

Tan Kin Lian is using his hard-earned monies to give fellow Singaporeans a chance to vote in the coming presidential election. He know that his chance to be elected is relatively low but it is not keeping him afraid to stand up and be counted. In fact, the total cost for such campaigning could be well between S$100K - S$ 200K.

Hence, to answer to your question about what so special about Tan Kin Lian, the question is whether you have S$100K - S$ 200K and subsequently, putting yourself in the receiving end from those sarcastic peoples that chose to pass irrational and irresponsible remarks to discredit others ?

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sorry I think TKL deserves to be scrutinised thoroughly and the same goes for TCB and TT or any other.

In a way, Teo CH is right - the PE is not the same as GE. Only that I disagree with TCH on what is the difference.

The winner of the PE will be President. It is different from the GE where the opp candidate who wins is only an opp MP and not a million dollar govt minister. So I cut them some slack. TKL should be torn upside down like Nathan and the rest if he cannot meet the standards, not be exceptional just because he is seen to be like an "opposition".

People who see this as a "PAP vs opp battle" and that is why you cannot touch TKL (a thinking our resident clown of all people has) are big time wrong up there. Everyone in the PE has the same prize if they win, not like the opposition.

Last edited:

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I want to ask whether Png went to collect those forms holding a WP flag or wearing WP T-Shirt ? I understand Png has explained that he went to collect those forms for Tan Kin Lian as a friend instead. Hence, I do not really understand why some fools are attempting to twist the fact and assume Tan Kin Lian has hidden political affiliation.

I have many friends are party members of the ruling party. We use to go out for golfing almost every weekend. Can you said that I have political affiliation too ? I believe my 5 years old son can answer this question correctly though.

The fact that Png was a WP member cannot be use as an excuse that Tan Kin Lian has hidden political affiliation. This is just like not every girls walking in Geyland are prostitute.

Apparently you are here with some specific agenda and that is to join this forum to refute on behalf of TKL the "Smears" supposedly propagated by some of us. I question your motives plus the fact that you show clear intentions to be TKL's running dog. Tell us what reward has been promised you bt TKL? Why are you here for? Name those in this thread whom you called "some fools."

jw5

Loyal

Glad that you mentioned that.
No, he wasn't wearing a WP shirt or carryng a flag, but please go and read post number 68 in this thread and answer question #3 which was "Why did TKL mention my WP friend?"
Answer this as well. Why did TKL ask GMS (NSP member) who politely declined and then ask Png (WP member), who agreed.? Could he have asked someone who was not a member of any political party? This was not having lunch or having a game of golf, this was picking up nomination forms for the presidential election.

Wow, your 5 year old son can answer such questions, that's just great. :rolleyes:

Yes you are right. Not every girl walking in Geylang is a prostitute. But if you walk past her and she asks you "yao qu ma?" and when you ask her how much and she replies, you can pretty much conclude that she is one.

Obviously you have not been in this forum long or at least recently.
We don't mind if people use logic to argue, but we detest people who use insults (like calling people fools) on others, especially the newbies.

Ask yourself this question: Seriously, are you helping or hindering?

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
Primary school holidays:confused: Hope you mature when you reach voting age :smile:

jw5

Loyal

No, no, no, the key point in wikiphile's post is not about whether the monies is hard earned or not.

The key is the petition that was circulated previously.

The questions now are:

1. When can we expect to receive the next petition?

2. If there is not going to be another petition, why not? Did he not say that he will offer himself as a candidate only if he got enough signatures in the petition? Well, did he get the number of signatures he wanted?

You started this by calling forummers "fools".
Most of us would have been glad to debate and discuss with you logically on the merits and flaws of TKL and TCB.