• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Strange Use Of Chinese Characters

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
老师 came from 教师。The character 老 in this context connotes respect to elderly, born earlier and know more, like 先生, also commonly used in Japanese and Chinese.

Don't bother teaching him that. He had to find those 2 words from the translating site to somehow show off his credibility. The fact of the matter is this he's still a 屎皮

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal
老师 came from 教师。The character 老 in this context connotes respect to elderly, born earlier and know more, like 先生, also commonly used in Japanese and Chinese.

Hey. Care to address the question I posed earlier? Why Taiwanese pronounce 和 as han? I find the explanation rather interesting. :smile:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hey. Care to address the question I posed earlier? Why Taiwanese pronounce 和 as han? I find the explanation rather interesting. :smile:

That I really don't know. I've never heard of any Chinese, Taiwanese, Japanese or anyone using Chinese characters pronouncing it as such.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'm disappointed to read this from you. Aren't you the resident linguist?

台湾人为什么把“和”念为“汗”

I've always admitted I can't know everything. Sorry for your disappointment. But I've read through your link, still finding it befuddling. I've never heard it pronounced that way before and the whole article sounds farcical to me. Sorry again. Perhaps you're right, perhaps you're wrong, perhaps the article was wrong.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'm disappointed to read this from you. Aren't you the resident linguist?

台湾人为什么把“和”念为“汗”

Didn't the article already give the explaination no matter how ludicrous it sounds? Therefore if the article already gave the reason as to why the taiwanese would pronounce the word in such a way and btw neither me nor ram nor anybody else for that matter has even heard about it why then are you asking it? Are you somehow trying to test ppl here?

HellBoy

Alfrescian
Loyal
have lah, i ever heard it use in taiwan drama, but it's not offent use. also never think of why they want to prononounce as "han".
They have lots of funny words, some directly translate from other language like 红不让 = homerun, & 甜不辣 = tenpura? but it look like some kind of fish cake?

Didn't the article already give the explaination no matter how ludicrous it sounds? Therefore if the article already gave the reason as to why the taiwanese would pronounce the word in such a way and btw neither me nor ram nor anybody else for that matter has even heard about it why then are you asking it? Are you somehow trying to test ppl here?

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
have lah, i ever heard it use in taiwan drama, but it's not offent use. also never think of why they want to prononounce as "han".
They have lots of funny words, some directly translate from other language like 红不让 = homerun, & 甜不辣 = tenpura? but it look like some kind of fish cake?

So far i have not heard about this but anyway talking about their "funny words" it's not funny it's just transliteration from another language and all languages do it even english. Take the name clinton or peter for eg there's no obvious chinese words for those names so they make use of chinese words that sound similar to those names. That's how all languages evolve.

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
Such an archaic and complicated script, Chinese characters should be abolished and converted to Roman letters. It'll save lots of time and headache for students to learn other more practical subjects.

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
:confused: you are one confused and disturbed chup cheng. :eek:

I'm neither confused nor have I advocated the abolishing of Chinese as a language. It's the written script I'm talking about. You can always use hanyu pinyin. Vietnam and Malaysia are two good examples, converting from Chinese script to romanization and Arabic script to romanization. The languages are still there.

Last edited:

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
chup cheng you are indeed a confused person. say want to leave this forum in nov 2011 but until today still here. say want to ban chinese but flip flop and say want to ban chinese character only. must be the mix blood and all the stuff that is running inside you. :*:

Not only Chinese characters, all the Arabic, Greek, Russian, Japanese, Korean should be spelt in standardized Romanization. Then the whole is united, not divided.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Such an archaic and complicated script, Chinese characters should be abolished and converted to Roman letters. It'll save lots of time and headache for students to learn other more practical subjects.

It's only complicated to you. FYI can you read thai? How about tamil and so on? Those scripts aren't using the roman alphabet either. Even if they write in the roman alphabet that doesn't mean it's english like french for eg. Why not we cancel those too since i doubt you can actualy read any of those languages i mentioned.

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
indian how? must ban too?

seems like you are someone who like uniformity. you hate 'mixing'. must have a tough life living with yourself.

Of course should be abolished and converted, those Sankrit influenced scripts like Tamil and Thai, curling here and there, who can understand except themsleves? The worst is Chinese, sometimes traditional sometimes simplified. Isn't standardization better for unity of world humanity? You believe in that biblical Tower of Babel rubbish? You think it's better that you visiting a foreign country can't read their signboards? You think it's better that foreigners visiting your country can't read your signboards?

Last edited:

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
you cannot accept difference in language, culture, scripts, food etc then you better 24/7 stay in you own house. nobody force you to go to these countries. on the other hand you are the one advocating the abolishment of anything that you deem non-standard. you dont change yourself to suit the environment but you want everyone else to change to suit you. this is very keling type of behavior.

I'm just suggesting for a better world, not demanding and certainly not in my powers to demand. The powers-that-be conquer and rule by division and segregation.

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
台湾日本化

In the late 40s, after the war, the Taiwanese govt wanted its people 日本化 (to receive the Japanese culture). Many lifestyles or even way of describing things were obtained from Japan ?

Diversifying itself from the mainland ? Maybe, Taiwan and Japan had to unite against their common enemy at that time.

达人,是指在某一领域非常专业,出类拔萃的人物。指在某方面很精通的人,即某方面的高手。后来这个称呼被越来越多的网友接受和喜爱,成为流行用语。

“达人”一词应该来自日语中的“达人(ta tsu ji n)”一词。意思是高手,名手,能手。学问,技艺等方面精通的人。大陆的“达人”一词引自台湾,而台湾受日本文化影响较大,所以说达人一词来自日语。

“达人”中的“达”字是“第一”快连读,例:“廿”是“二十”快连读字,又如“仨”是“三人”快连读字。

有人认为“达人”一词语出《论语》中的“己欲立而立人,己欲达而达人”。这句话的意思是:如果你想得到别人的尊重,你就要尊重别人;如果你想得到别人的帮助,你就要帮助别人。但是,这句话中的“达人”是动宾结构(“达”是动词,“人”是名词作宾语),是一个词组,而不是一个词语,所以,严格地讲,《论语》中的“达人”不能视作“达人”一词的出处。与《论语》同时代的《左传》当中也出现了“达人”两个字,具体内容请参看本词条“古代达人”一栏。

另有一种说法,“达人”一词源自英文“talent”,引申即“有才能的人”、“高人”等意,且从发音来看,ta可音译“达”,len可音译“人”(同我国早期外文发音类似,存有方言因素,r与l不分)。

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: 台湾日本化

In the late 40s, after the war, the Taiwanese govt wanted its people 日本化 (to receive the Japanese culture). Many lifestyles or even way of describing things were obtained from Japan ?

Diversifying itself from the mainland ? Maybe, Taiwan and Japan had to unite against their common enemy at that time.
ROC on Taiwan came in being in 1949. Then there the outbreak of Korean War in 1950. Then US granted Japanese independence in 1951. Through this period through the region, US was their guarantor and still is now. Their post-war generations have since been consciously or subconsciously Americanizing their lifestyles. Not to mention had Taiwanese wanted to Japanize, they could had done it during colonial years After Korean War, PRC standardized mainland Chinese to simplfiied characters officially. The rest refused to follow and Japan as the second came up with their own version of simplification somewhere in between traditional and simplified. In fact, there was a faction in Japan that advocated romanization abolishing. The motion was voted down by most academics .

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
Cricket Club ?

ROC on Taiwan came in being in 1949. Then there the outbreak of Korean War in 1950. Then US granted Japanese independence in 1951. Through this period through the region, US was their guarantor and still is now. Their post-war generations have since been consciously or subconsciously Americanizing their lifestyles. Not to mention had Taiwanese wanted to Japanize, they could had done it during colonial years After Korean War, PRC standardized mainland Chinese to simplfiied characters officially. The rest refused to follow and Japan as the second came up with their own version of simplification somewhere in between traditional and simplified. In fact, there was a faction in Japan that advocated romanization abolishing. The motion was voted down by most academics .

Both Singaporeans and Hong Kongers love the English football, the Indians, the British's cricket, but the Japanese, S Koreans and Taiwanese played baseballs instead (being Americanized).

No one played rugby or american football ?

My guess is that the Taiwanese govt does not want the mainland to play the emotional game with them. And diversifying their culture away from the mainland will bring a stronger national identity. No 同化 for them. This gen in the island nation wants a status quo because they find mainland China strange - hard to unite, culturally different.

In this song alone, see how many things you can find things Japanese ?

[video=youtube;IhWjeCI7v_g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhWjeCI7v_g[/video]