• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Strange Use Of Chinese Characters

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
When my Japanese ex-GF first visited me in Singapore, we ended our round of Orchard Road movie, dining and shopping and tired out somewhere around Somerset area. Then she suggested buying a bottle of wine to relax at home watching TV before we sleep. Sure thing for me, of course. I was thinking, Cold Storage Centrepoint should still be opened and we could get a bottle there. She asked, why don't try the big Chinese wine shop nearby we've just passed by? Big Chinese wine shop? I didn't know any around the vincnity. She insisted yes, she saw it. So, she brought me there.

Yes, it was nearby Somerset area, hardly a bus-stop away. Guess the name of the shop...

文华大酒店

:*:

I was thinking, you must haven't been to Taiwan yet, where they call a grand hotel a big rice shop...大饭店!

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
u cannot buy wine there meh? ... can wat ...

Sure can. But one must be too rich and too stupid to pay Mandarin Hotel price when the same is less than half price across the road at Cold Storage. Anyway, the point is not about the purchase or price of wine. It's about the different usages of Chinese characters in different countries and even dialects.

In ancient China, hotel is called 客栈。In modern PRC, 酒店 and 饭店 are almost never used for hotel. It's called 宾馆。In Japan, it's called 旅館 (ryokan) for traditional hotel and ホテル (hoteru meaning hotel) for modern hotel. How did the terms 酒店 and 饭店 come into use for hotel in HK, ROC, even Singapore and Malaysia?

Yah lor, wtf:confused: TS trolling, wanna kenna ban izit:confused::mad:

If can get banned for a topic like this, I also don't know what to say or do? Go see the Marine Parade GRC Macpherson division MP? Bring my niece along?

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... How did the terms 酒店 ... come into use for hotel in HK, ROC, even Singapore and Malaysia? ...
dey r called wine shop bcos dey sel wine 2 wine-drinking customers ...

dey sel wine ... ppl go there 2 drink wine ... wen u drink wine, u drink until u not-drunk-no-return ... as iz dangerous 2 drive after u drunk ... so, dese drink shops provide rooms 4 ur convenience until u sober up ze nax day ...

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Japanese:

Sake (wine?) shop: 酒屋 さかや Sakaya

Bar+restaurant hybrid: 居酒屋 いざかや Izakaya

Bar/drinking place: 酒場 さかば Sakaba

Their lexicon is even more confusing.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... Sake (wine?) shop: 酒屋 さかや Sakaya

Bar+restaurant hybrid: 居酒屋 いざかや Izakaya

Bar/drinking place: 酒場 さかば Sakaba

Their lexicon is even more confusing.
got 1 time, passed by a japanese shop, saw ze words 龟屋 ...

tot it was a haus 4 okt! ... :eek:

Last edited:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I've tried to reason with my Jap GF too. Different context, different cultures, different usage. For example, 大丈夫 (diajobu) means manly in Chinese but means safely in Japanese. She said yadah yadah sorry didn't learn too much Chinese, let's forget about it and get on bed to have sex. :biggrin: :biggrin:

Last edited:

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I've tried to reason with my Jap GF too. Different context, different cultures, different usage. For example, 大丈夫 (diajobu) means manly in Chinese but means safely in Japanese. She said yadah yadah sorry didn't learn too much Chinese, let's forget about it and get on bed to have sex. :biggrin: :biggrin:

dont anyhow bomb again ...daijubo means nevermind . safely in japanese is 安全に !!!