• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Speak Dialects, you feel tribal ! Speak mandarin, it will break unity!

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
Shouldn't the authority, MDA or something, go slap a Restricted label onto the General Election Rally?? Because dialect is use during the GE rally.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Cannot lah u look at that who the hell can understand????

Last time when learning hanyu pinyin in primary 4 i think the teacher would ask us repeat again and again say po fo mo.

Or si wo suo suo1 suo2 suo3 suo4 like that.

U think the teacher told us eh read this page in the textbook. If he did that i dun think we even know about this tonal crap.

I tell u unless it's some canto professor even canto speakers dun even know about this 4 tonal or 7 tonal shit.

yansen84

Alfrescian
Loyal
another recent taiwanese success 海角七號 was also mainly in hokkien/taiwanese, and it did really well in box office receipts. btw I didn't watch it in SG, was it dubbed into mandarin here?

yansen84

Alfrescian
Loyal
Cannot lah u look at that who the hell can understand????

Last time when learning hanyu pinyin in primary 4 i think the teacher would ask us repeat again and again say po fo mo.

Or si wo suo suo1 suo2 suo3 suo4 like that.

U think the teacher told us eh read this page in the textbook. If he did that i dun think we even know about this tonal crap.

I tell u unless it's some canto professor even canto speakers dun even know about this 4 tonal or 7 tonal shit.

I think they have 9 tones instead of 7, the cantonese. perhaps it is too deeply embedded in their subconscious mind that it comes naturally to them, so they can't explain it to you?

U

UpYoz_olo

Speak dialect in Sg: Kan Ni Lau Bu eh Chow Chee Bye
Speak PuTongHia: Chao Ni Niang De
Speak Melayu: Puki lu Mak

lancheowman

Alfrescian
Loyal
why buay song with me? i am not the one that make the rule. u buay song that mandarin is use in school, take it to Lee Kuan Yew or Hu Jin Tao then.

when uncle tlalking academic, you better dun anyhow suka suka chap jig kar....limpeh break your kar and chui, give you become snake then you know...just fuck off:oIo:

lancheowman

Alfrescian
Loyal
kinda agree wif u on sum of dose chinese poems ...

李昱's poems do rhyme nicely sumtimes if read in cantonese ... mayb iz bcos he spent most of his life in ze southern part of china n dat had influenced him ...

but if u read sotong ball's :p poems in cantonese, dey dun rhyme ... dunno watz his dialect ...

middle chinese deh middle chinese ,people from the tang dynasty speak middle chinese and middle chinese sounds like cantonese or the other way round actually.

and pls lah, dunno dun anyhow tembak, sotong ball live in song dynasty that is another three hundred years after the tang dynasty...and some his poems(Ci) and proses are not even meant to rhyme

lancheowman

Alfrescian
Loyal
why u call me tiko russian monk???

What talking you? argue with devil within until u dunno what ur saying?

actually mandarin sounds higher classed compared to say the dialects. Many many ppl have this impression.

Hence when they call someone a hokkien peng it denotes someone of low class, low education.

In fact in sg those with very little education tend to speak hokkien.

Btw why is cantonese always the dialect used that rhymes better when reading those old poems? Why not say hakka or hainanese????

devil have no capacity to argue with uncle, thats why he spams. this has been going on since the old forum days, he see uncle only he scared because i always point out his mistakes, last time in the old forum, he wasnt banned, he was suan and f by everybody until he buay tahan leave the forum.

anyway, if you are not chinese or cannot speak mandarin or any dialects, then dun bother. it's like uncle playing a flute to a water buffalo. i can understand not everybody is so smart to understand so fast.

the hokkien that you hear in singapore is low class peasant hokkien.... you dun even hv to go to china and taiwan, if you have opportunity to work with indonesian or even thai hokkiens, lsitento the hokkien they use and you will udnerstand that hokkien is far more refined and sophiscated than mandarin.

if you still dun follow, it's ok, uncle wont blame you

Last edited:

lancheowman

Alfrescian
Loyal
in the 1700s, an ah tiong official (from Beijing) visiting Taiwan had this to report:

In this place, the language is as birdcall – totally unintelligible! For example: for the surname Liú, they say "Lâu"; for Chén, "Tân"; Zhuāng, "Chng"; and Zhāng is "Tioⁿ". My deputy's surname Wú becomes "Ngô͘". My surname Huáng does not even have a proper vowel: it is "N̂g" here! It is difficult to make sense of this. (郡中鴃舌鳥語全不可曉如劉呼澇陳呼澹莊呼曾張呼丟余與吳待御兩姓吳呼作襖黃則無音厄影切更為難省)

– Records from the mission to Taiwan and its Strait, Volume II: On the area around Fort Provintia, Tainan (臺海使槎錄 卷二 赤嵌筆談)

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiwanese_Minnan

i think this type of thing hardly ever happens. i.e. official from beijing visiting other parts of the realm.

lancheowman

Alfrescian
Loyal
another recent taiwanese success 海角七號 was also mainly in hokkien/taiwanese, and it did really well in box office receipts. btw I didn't watch it in SG, was it dubbed into mandarin here?

nope , it was shown as was shot in both hokkien and mandarin

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think they have 9 tones instead of 7, the cantonese. perhaps it is too deeply embedded in their subconscious mind that it comes naturally to them, so they can't explain it to you?

I heard from someone that Hokkien has 8 tones and Cantonese has 9 tones (compared to Mandarin having 4 tones). I speak both Hokkien and Cantonese and I think it's probably true, though I cant explain the tones systematically as like codified in Hanyu Pinyin Mandarin. Hokkien and Cantonese speakers, if they think about it, will surely find some tones that are neither here nor there in the Hanyu Pinyu 4-tone system. However, it comes naturally to the natural speaker of the respective dialects. Just like Thai with 5 tones, no textbook can teach the tones accurately. Listening and speaking is the key. Audio CD can help but to a limit; listening and speaking is still the key. However, listening and speaking also involve imitating and adopting the accent of your learning environment. That's how accents and dialects evolve.

nickers9

Alfrescian
Loyal
exactly, peoples failed to see that we are Asians and should use our mother tongues as the country speaking and administrative languages.

LKY made LHL learnt Russian during his young days. LKY thought that learning Russian could be useful back then. Who know, Soviet Union might take over the world. I have no doubts if Soviet Union became the world sole superpower, replacing USA in those days, we could have switched from a English speaking country to the one and only Russian speaking country in South East Asia.

We are what we are, forget the crap about racial harmony and English is a must. The minorities must always adopt to the majorities. You learn Japanese when you stay in Japan, Korean in Korea. French when you migrate to France.

The reason why we did not became a Chinese administrative country is not because of racial harmony, English global importance but only because of LKY complete bias and hatred of Chinese cultures and languages.

LKY sometimes miss q one. Sometimes a marksman, sometimes a bobo shooter.

If he has good foresight, u know what he should do? He should have made Singaporeans learned 3 languages, English, Mandarin and Malay.

Mandarin is mother tongue, English cause of global language, Malay is because we are surrounded by Malay countries. LKY should have let us learned all 3. At least some Malay languages, we can converse simple Malay languages and also it is easy for us to have more understanding with our muslim neighbours.

So this one, LKY miss q lah

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
LKY sometimes miss q one. Sometimes a marksman, sometimes a bobo shooter.

If he has good foresight, u know what he should do? He should have made Singaporeans learned 3 languages, English, Mandarin and Malay.

Mandarin is mother tongue, English cause of global language, Malay is because we are surrounded by Malay countries. LKY should have let us learned all 3. At least some Malay languages, we can converse simple Malay languages and also it is easy for us to have more understanding with our muslim neighbours.

So this one, LKY miss q lah

In away, I support your view. English the main language and on par with the standards of 1970s, plus the 3 langauges at reasonable level and conversational malay for all Singapopreans. We would be king of the heap in SEA and the natural link for the world, Chin and India to this region.

We wasted 25 years, screwing around 2nd language as though it was gold. The sin was make students spend so much time on it, that quality of life suffered as well as other subjects.

No need to force conversational malay but have it at comunity centres, adult education centre, neighbourhoods etc. We would have been setting up SMEs, corporations all over Indonesia and Malay.

Devil Within

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
devil have no capacity to argue with uncle, thats why he spams. this has been going on since the old forum days, he see uncle only he scared because i always point out his mistakes, last time in the old forum, he wasnt banned, he was suan and f by everybody until he buay tahan leave the forum.

anyway, if you are not chinese or cannot speak mandarin or any dialects, then dun bother. it's like uncle playing a flute to a water buffalo. i can understand not everybody is so smart to understand so fast.

the hokkien that you hear in singapore is low class peasant hokkien.... you dun even hv to go to china and taiwan, if you have opportunity to work with indonesian or even thai hokkiens, lsitento the hokkien they use and you will udnerstand that hokkien is far more refined and sophiscated than mandarin.

if you still dun follow, it's ok, uncle wont blame you

Aiyo, see you so xia suay here. Devil not like you seeking for attention and argue for the sake of argument to inflate your pathetic big ego. So is your prostitute mother ready for uncle devil's long and hard lancheow? Come seek for me when you want your prostitute mother to be fuck by me, ok?

lancheowman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Aiyo, see you so xia suay here. Devil not like you seeking for attention and argue for the sake of argument to inflate your pathetic big ego. So is your prostitute mother ready for uncle devil's long and hard lancheow? Come seek for me when you want your prostitute mother to be fuck by me, ok?

small boy devil wee-in-tin,

people having serious discussion, you come and disturb wait tio kan again like last time, where are you going to go then?

anyway, you can enjoy confucius' poetry in old chinese, much of it sounds like a compliment in cantonese which uncle would extend to you