• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Sorry Sam, but I think you're wrong on this one (Brazil > 4000 Covid deaths daily)

TuckFrump

Alfrescian
Loyal
The dangers of both are grossly exaggerated so I have taken it upon myself to correct misconceptions.

https://www.kcrw.com/news/shows/pre...al-estate/brazil-covid-jair-bolsonaro-impeach

Brazil: New COVID variant, low vaccine supply, possible Jair Bolsonaro impeachment
Apr. 05, 2021 CORONAVIRUS
Brazilian citizens are holding a “Bolsonaro Genocidal” banner in Madrid Rio Park, where community members are remembering COVID-19 deaths in Brazil, and blaming President Jair Bolsonaro for the tragedy and poor management of the pandemic. April 1, 2021.

Brazilian citizens are holding a “Bolsonaro Genocidal” banner in Madrid Rio Park, where community members are remembering COVID-19 deaths in Brazil, and blaming President Jair Bolsonaro for the tragedy and poor management of the pandemic. April 1, 2021.Photo by Diego Radames / SOPA Images/Sipa USA
Brazil is the world’s epicenter of the COVID-19 pandemic. It’s been averaging around 70,000 new cases a day, and it has about a quarter of all daily deaths worldwide. Patients are arriving at hospitals sicker than ever with Brazil’s variant, which has spread across South America. Meanwhile, about 2% of Brazil’s population is fully vaccinated.
The health crisis is creating a political crisis for the country’s authoritarian leader Jair Bolsonaro. Last week, he ousted six of his cabinet members, prompting others to resign. Some Brazilian lawmakers are talking impeachment now.
Michael Fox is a freelance journalist who’s been covering all this for PRI’s The World.
Joining Press Play from Florianopolis, an island in southern Brazil, he says daily COVID-19 death rates have risen to nearly 4,000 a day as of last week, Brazil’s P1 COVID variant accounts for 80-85% of all new COVID-19 cases in the region.
The Brazilian variant has been identified in the U.S., U.K., Germany, Italy, and Japan.
Fox says the virus is infecting younger adults, who are listening to President Bolsonaro as he advises against lockdowns and encourages residents to live life normally.
“It means that a lot of those younger people are saying, ‘It's not that big of a deal, it's not going to affect me,’” Fox says. “This mentality has really worn on a lot of people in their 20s and 30s. In fact, what we saw in Florianopolis just last Friday were people out partying, without any masks whatsoever.”
Bolsonaro now supports the distribution of vaccines in Brazil, however it is a far cry from his stance earlier in the pandemic.
“Several months ago, Bolsonaro was talking about how vaccines might turn you into a crocodile, or they might make women grow beards. He was actually trying to destroy confidence in vaccines rather than build them up.”
According to Fox, the change of heart came after a judge threw out corruption charges against former Brazilian President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva, who is now free to run for president in 2022.
“You saw Bolsonaro actually wearing a mask in public and quickly signing a decree to try and expedite the buying of vaccines,” Fox says. “Polls looking ahead at next year show that [Lula da Silva] is a shoo-in, or at least [will] make it to the second round.”

shockshiok

Alfrescian
Loyal
The dangers of both are grossly exaggerated so I have taken it upon myself to correct misconceptions.
:FU:

https://news.yahoo.com/biological-fukushima-brazil-covid-19-225729667.html

A biological Fukushima': Brazil COVID-19 deaths on track to pass worst of U.S. wave
Pedro Fonseca
Tue, April 6, 2021, 6:57 PM·3 min read

By Pedro Fonseca
RIO DE JANEIRO (Reuters) - Brazil's brutal surge in COVID-19 deaths will soon surpass the worst of a record January wave in the United States, scientists forecast, with fatalities climbing for the first time above 4,000 in a day on Tuesday as the outbreak overwhelms hospitals.
Brazil's overall death toll trails only the U.S. outbreak, with nearly 337,000 killed, according to Health Ministry data, compared with more than 555,000 dead in the United States.
But with Brazil's healthcare system at the breaking point, the country could exceed total U.S. deaths, despite having a population two-thirds that of the United States, two experts told Reuters.
"It's a nuclear reactor that has set off a chain reaction and is out of control. It's a biological Fukushima," said Miguel Nicolelis, a Brazilian doctor and professor at Duke University, who is closely tracking the virus.
On Tuesday, the Health Ministry reported another 4,195 COVID-19 deaths in the past 24 hours, well above the country's prior single-day record. Brazil has set daily death records every week since late February, as a more contagious local variant and meager social distancing efforts fuel an uncontrolled outbreak.
With mass vaccinations curtailing the U.S. outbreak, Brazil has become the epicenter of the pandemic, contributing about one in four deaths per day globally, according to a Reuters analysis.
President Jair Bolsonaro has pushed back against mask-wearing and lockdowns that public health experts consider the best way to lessen virus transmission.
The country dragged its feet last year as the world raced to secure vaccines, slowing the launch of a national immunization program.
Despite the recent surge, Brazilian officials are insistent that the country can soon return to something resembling business as usual.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

https://news.yahoo.com/biological-fukushima-brazil-covid-19-225729667.html

A biological Fukushima': Brazil COVID-19 deaths on track to pass worst of U.S. wave
Pedro Fonseca
Tue, April 6, 2021, 6:57 PM·3 min read

By Pedro Fonseca
RIO DE JANEIRO (Reuters) - Brazil's brutal surge in COVID-19 deaths will soon surpass the worst of a record January wave in the United States, scientists forecast, with fatalities climbing for the first time above 4,000 in a day on Tuesday as the outbreak overwhelms hospitals.
Brazil's overall death toll trails only the U.S. outbreak, with nearly 337,000 killed, according to Health Ministry data, compared with more than 555,000 dead in the United States.
But with Brazil's healthcare system at the breaking point, the country could exceed total U.S. deaths, despite having a population two-thirds that of the United States, two experts told Reuters.
"It's a nuclear reactor that has set off a chain reaction and is out of control. It's a biological Fukushima," said Miguel Nicolelis, a Brazilian doctor and professor at Duke University, who is closely tracking the virus.
On Tuesday, the Health Ministry reported another 4,195 COVID-19 deaths in the past 24 hours, well above the country's prior single-day record. Brazil has set daily death records every week since late February, as a more contagious local variant and meager social distancing efforts fuel an uncontrolled outbreak.
With mass vaccinations curtailing the U.S. outbreak, Brazil has become the epicenter of the pandemic, contributing about one in four deaths per day globally, according to a Reuters analysis.
President Jair Bolsonaro has pushed back against mask-wearing and lockdowns that public health experts consider the best way to lessen virus transmission.
The country dragged its feet last year as the world raced to secure vaccines, slowing the launch of a national immunization program.
Despite the recent surge, Brazilian officials are insistent that the country can soon return to something resembling business as usual.

With a population of more than 200 million 337,000 deaths works out to 0.16% of the population.

Even if the death toll doubles we're still talking about a minuscule proportion of the population so I honestly do not know what the fuss is about.

In the meantime more than 1 million die in Brazil every year from other causes.

shockshiok

Alfrescian
Loyal
With a population of more than 200 million 337,000 deaths works out to 0.16% of the population.

Even if the death toll doubles we're still talking about a minuscule proportion of the population so I honestly do not know what the fuss is about.

In the meantime more than 1 million die in Brazil every year from other causes.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/07/americas/brazil-covid-19-record-daily-deaths-intl/index.html

Bolsonaro shrugs off criticism he is 'genocidal' as Brazil reports record 4,000 daily deaths
By Marcia Reverdosa, Tatiana Arias, Vasco Cotovio and Angela Dewan, CNN

Updated 8:09 AM ET, Wed April 7, 2021
Ambulances loaded with patients wait outside of a hospital in Brazil to unload their passengers.

São Paulo (CNN)Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro has shrugged off criticisms that he is "genocidal" in his opposition to Covid-19 restrictions, as the nation recorded its deadliest 24 hours of the pandemic so far.
Brazil smashed its previous daily record with 4,195 Covid-19 fatalities, health ministry data Tuesday showed -- marking the highest death count in the world for that 24-hour period, according to Johns Hopkins University. The new figures pushed Brazil's total pandemic death toll to almost 337,000.
Additionally, nearly 87,000 new Covid-19 cases were reported across the country, raising the total tally of infections to 13,100,580, according to the health ministry.
Bolsonaro, who has continued to downplay the seriousness of his country's health crisis, brushed off claims he was to blame for the country's spiraling death toll. The President has repeatedly opposed lockdowns and restrictive measures, and criticized governors and mayors with insulting language for implementing them.

"They called me homophobic, racist, fascist, a torturer and now... what is it now? Now I am... someone who kills a lot of people? Genocidal. Now, I'm genocidal," he said to supporters outside the Presidential Palace in Brasilia on Tuesday evening, according to video posted on YouTube.
Overstretched health workers describe battling Brazil's worst Covid-19 wave yet

Several of Bolsonaro's political opponents have accused him of "genocide," using the term loosely to characterize the consequences of his Covid-19 response.
"What am I not blamed for here in Brazil?" Bolsonaro asked rhetorically in the video.
The Brazilian leader appeared to imply that the pandemic was an invention of the media that could be solved by providing organizations with government subsidies.
"I can solve the problem with the virus in a few minutes. I just have to pay what governments paid in the past to Globo, to Folha [de São Paulo], O Estado de São Paulo," he said, referring to a nationwide broadcaster and two São Paulo-based newspapers. "Now, that money is not for the press, it's for other things."
And he was defiant in his stance on restrictions, saying that he disagreed with proponents of social distancing measures, and arguing -- incorrectly -- that the states that imposed tougher restrictions are experiencing higher death rates.
"What's the state that has locked down the most? São Paulo. Which one has the highest death toll, proportionally? São Paulo," he falsely claimed.
Although São Paulo has the highest absolute death toll, it ranks 10th in deaths per capita.
Around a third of the deaths reported Tuesday were in São Paulo, where 1,389 people died in 24 hours, state government data showed -- a record for the most deaths in a single day in any Brazilian state.
That comes despite the state imposing more restrictive measures a month ago, including the closure of businesses that deal directly with the public, such as shops, restaurants and bars.
Bolsonaro also said locking down would be counterproductive, as people would be more vulnerable to the virus.
"I saw some recent research that those who have a healthy lifestyle are eight times less likely to have problems with Covid," he said. "You lock people at home... what does he do at home? I doubt they haven't increased their weight a little, from last year to this year."
"Even I grew my belly a little bit," he joked.

Peiweh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ever since Brazil lost 1-7 to Germany in 2014.... they can go fuck spiders for all I care

China Troll! Oh man I have missed making fun of you. Still jealous of #1 in the world Amazing America ? I know I know, they have all the best right? 3 Amazing vaccines and lots of missiles, planes, 10% growth this year, all smacking you PRCs on the side of the head.

No wonder you PRCs are so pissed off, its natural when the King pokes you, and leaves you in the dust.

in-case-you-were-planning-on-messing-with-us.gif

Leongsam

Admin
Asset

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/07/americas/brazil-covid-19-record-daily-deaths-intl/index.html

Bolsonaro shrugs off criticism he is 'genocidal' as Brazil reports record 4,000 daily deaths
By Marcia Reverdosa, Tatiana Arias, Vasco Cotovio and Angela Dewan, CNN

Updated 8:09 AM ET, Wed April 7, 2021
Ambulances loaded with patients wait outside of a hospital in Brazil to unload their passengers.

São Paulo (CNN)Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro has shrugged off criticisms that he is "genocidal" in his opposition to Covid-19 restrictions, as the nation recorded its deadliest 24 hours of the pandemic so far.
Brazil smashed its previous daily record with 4,195 Covid-19 fatalities, health ministry data Tuesday showed -- marking the highest death count in the world for that 24-hour period, according to Johns Hopkins University. The new figures pushed Brazil's total pandemic death toll to almost 337,000.
Additionally, nearly 87,000 new Covid-19 cases were reported across the country, raising the total tally of infections to 13,100,580, according to the health ministry.
Bolsonaro, who has continued to downplay the seriousness of his country's health crisis, brushed off claims he was to blame for the country's spiraling death toll. The President has repeatedly opposed lockdowns and restrictive measures, and criticized governors and mayors with insulting language for implementing them.

"They called me homophobic, racist, fascist, a torturer and now... what is it now? Now I am... someone who kills a lot of people? Genocidal. Now, I'm genocidal," he said to supporters outside the Presidential Palace in Brasilia on Tuesday evening, according to video posted on YouTube.

Several of Bolsonaro's political opponents have accused him of "genocide," using the term loosely to characterize the consequences of his Covid-19 response.
"What am I not blamed for here in Brazil?" Bolsonaro asked rhetorically in the video.
The Brazilian leader appeared to imply that the pandemic was an invention of the media that could be solved by providing organizations with government subsidies.
"I can solve the problem with the virus in a few minutes. I just have to pay what governments paid in the past to Globo, to Folha [de São Paulo], O Estado de São Paulo," he said, referring to a nationwide broadcaster and two São Paulo-based newspapers. "Now, that money is not for the press, it's for other things."
And he was defiant in his stance on restrictions, saying that he disagreed with proponents of social distancing measures, and arguing -- incorrectly -- that the states that imposed tougher restrictions are experiencing higher death rates.
"What's the state that has locked down the most? São Paulo. Which one has the highest death toll, proportionally? São Paulo," he falsely claimed.
Although São Paulo has the highest absolute death toll, it ranks 10th in deaths per capita.
Around a third of the deaths reported Tuesday were in São Paulo, where 1,389 people died in 24 hours, state government data showed -- a record for the most deaths in a single day in any Brazilian state.
That comes despite the state imposing more restrictive measures a month ago, including the closure of businesses that deal directly with the public, such as shops, restaurants and bars.
Bolsonaro also said locking down would be counterproductive, as people would be more vulnerable to the virus.
"I saw some recent research that those who have a healthy lifestyle are eight times less likely to have problems with Covid," he said. "You lock people at home... what does he do at home? I doubt they haven't increased their weight a little, from last year to this year."
"Even I grew my belly a little bit," he joked.

Therein lies the problem. If Brazil had fullu opened up it would be over the worst of the disease by now. All lockdowns do is further spread the infections as it confines people indoors where the probability of transmission is at its highest.

capamerica

Alfrescian
Loyal
Therein lies the problem. If Brazil had fullu opened up it would be over the worst of the disease by now. All lockdowns do is further spread the infections as it confines people indoors where the probability of transmission is at its highest.

Wrong. Again.

https://time.com/5951841/the-week-brazil-went-off-the-rails/

The Week Brazil Went Off the Rails
Jair Bolsonaro, Brazil's president, pauses while speaking during a news conference at the Planalto Palace in Brasilia, Brazil, on Wednesday, March 31, 2021. Commanders of Brazil's army, navy and air force were fired on Tuesday after Bolsonaro dismissed his defense chief as part of a broader cabinet restructuring.

Jair Bolsonaro, Brazil's president, pauses while speaking during a news conference at the Planalto Palace in Brasilia, Brazil, on Wednesday, March 31, 2021. Commanders of Brazil's army, navy and air force were fired on Tuesday after Bolsonaro dismissed his defense chief as part of a broader cabinet restructuring.

Andressa Anholete/Bloomberg via Getty Images
IDEAS
BY IAN BREMMER

APRIL 4, 2021 1:45 PM EDT
Bremmer is a foreign affairs columnist and editor-at-large at TIME. He is the president of Eurasia Group, a political-risk consultancy, and GZERO Media, a company dedicated to providing intelligent and engaging coverage of international affairs. He teaches applied geopolitics at Columbia University’s School of International and Public Affairs and his most recent book is Us vs. Them: The Failure of Globalism.
In the midst of a global pandemic, it’s difficult to determine which country is faring the absolute worst. But any short list at this point must include Brazil.
On Monday, embattled Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro made the decision to upend his cabinet, replacing six ministers. Some of the departures weren’t surprising, like far-right Foreign Affairs Minister Ernesto Arujo, a close ally of Bolsonaro’s whose combative approach to international affairs has drawn fire given Brazil’s struggles to source vaccines from abroad. But other dismissals caught many off-guard, particularly that of Defense Minister Fernando Azevedo e Silva. Bolsonaro, a former Army captain who has spoken fondly about the country’s past military dictatorship (as well as authoritarian leaders more broadly), has recruited many active and retired generals to join his administration. Azevedo was one of them.

But since Bolsonaro took office in 2019, concern has been growing among military brass that Bolsonaro’s overtures could erode the military’s independence from politics beyond acceptable limits, a sentiment shared by the ousted Azevedo. On Tuesday, the heads of the Navy, Army and Air Force were dismissed by the President after they threatened to resign in protest over Bolsonaro’s push to have the armed forces defend his administration politically. For Bolsonaro’s military detractors, Bolsonaro’s increasing coziness with the military isn’t just a threat to the country’s ability to function as a proper democracy, but to the standing of the military itself. As Bolsonaro’s political fortunes continue to suffer, the worry is that he will take the military’s reputation down with him, a reputation they have spent decades rebuilding since the military junta ended in 1985.
The doomsday scenario for military leadership? Bolsonaro either loses the upcoming presidential election in 2022 or faces impeachment in the interim, decries either as illegitimate and tries to force the military to back him in his claims. The good news from this week is that top military leaders sent him a strong message: they will choose democracy over defending his administration at all costs.

PAID PARTNER CONTENT
What does your water bottle say about you?
BY NAPCOR - POSITIVELY PET
Unfortunately for Brazil, there’s plenty more. Amidst Brazil’s worst financial crisis in decades, Bolsonaro has also been playing economic games. The latest revolves around the 2021 budget Brazil’s Congress managed to pass last week. To get it over the finished line and still remain under the spending cap, legislators earmarked billions more for discretionary spending by artificially deflating “mandatory” expenses like social welfare and unemployment so they could direct more funds to their preferred projects. For months now, Bolsonaro has been entertaining unorthodox proposals to fund different types of infrastructure projects from his advisors, as well as Regional Development Minister Rogerio Marinho. This was their latest attempt at doing so, and likely came with Bolsonaro’s unofficial blessing.
Less entertained by these proposals have been the technocratic members of Bolsonaro’s economic team, led by Economy Minister Paulo Guedes. While the legislation passed formally adheres to the spending cap, the reality is that the growth of mandatory expenses in the midst of a pandemic will cause total spending to skyrocket past the limits set under the constitution. And under Brazilian law, these economic advisors would be legally liable should that come to pass and they sign off on it. That led to rumblings that members of his economic team were preparing to use the threat of a government shutdown, and even their eventual resignation, to ensure Bolsonaro wouldn’t green-light the measures without significant changes.

A government shutdown or the enactment of a fake budget is unlikely at this point—leaving aside the recent political drama, Bolsonaro is politically liable should this legislation be approved as it stands. His predecessor, Dilma Rousseff, was impeached for not adhering to fiscal responsibility laws, and Bolsonaro opens himself up to the same fate by signing off on the legislation. It is unlikely Bolsonaro or his internal team understood that before the economic team began pushing back, and a supplementary bill is likely forthcoming to undo the worst of the damage. But Monday’s decision by Bolsonaro to appoint a centrist lawmaker with close ties to the House Speaker as his Government Minister (the person who manages the federal government’s relationship with legislators) shows he recognizes his need for more allies in Congress to stave off the worst.
And the worst is coming. Brazil’s daily death rate from Covid-19 is now tops in the world at over 3,100 (based on a seven-day average) and the country has just passed 325,000 Covid casualties overall. According to Reuters, ICU capacity has reached 90% or more in 15 of Brazil’s states (out of 26 overall). All that would be tragic enough, but the tragedy is compounded by Bolsonaro’s consistent minimizing of Covid-19 and past exhortations that the Brazilian people “stop whining.” Rather than fighting to protect the health of the Brazilian public, he has shown more interest fighting governors who have announced new lockdown measures as their public health systems collapse. Only recently has Bolsonaro embraced a mass vaccination program.
All of which means that Bolsonaro’s fortunes are at the mercy of the country’s Covid-19 trajectory. The situation for both Brazil and Bolsonaro will get worse over the next few weeks, but if the fever then breaks and the health situation starts to improve, Bolsonaro’s chances at reelection improve dramatically, which means less political drama like the kind we’ve seen over the last few days. But if the situation doesn’t improve meaningfully come early summer, Brazil will find itself in both a health crisis and a political crisis as Bolsonaro takes increasingly desperate measures to prop up his reelection bid and fend off a potential motion to impeach him.
2021 is shaping up to be worse than 2020 for Brazil. That’s really something.

Subscribe to TIME

Sign up for Inside TIME. Be the first to see the new cover of TIME and get our most compelling stories delivered straight to your inbox.
Paper-plane.svg

You can unsubscribe at any time. By signing up you are agreeing to our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
CONTACT US AT [email protected].
TIME Ideas hosts the world's leading voices, providing commentary on events in news, society, and culture. We welcome outside contributions. Opinions expressed do not necessarily reflect the views of TIME editors.
SHARE THIS STORY
READ MORE FROM TIME

POLITICS
Biden Plans Executive Actions to Combat Ghost Guns
Biden's plan to crack down on ghost guns comes amid increased pressure on him to combat gun violence following several mass shootings
ENTERTAINMENT
How a New Kung Fu TV Series Is Reclaiming Much More Than Just the Martial Arts

https://time.com/5953047/lgbtq-holocaust-stories/
HISTORY
How LGBTQ Victims Were Erased From Holocaust History

https://time.com/5953044/mitch-mcconnell-mlb-georgia/
POLITICS
Mitch McConnell Tries to Have it Both Ways on Corporate Cash

https://time.com/5952716/missed-second-vaccine-appointment/
HEALTH
What to Do If You Miss Your Second COVID-19 Vaccine Dose

RELATED STORIES
IDEAS
Higher Education Has a Tax Problem

IDEAS
How We Define Violent Crime Shapes Who Gets Punished

IDEAS
How a Pandemic Puppy Saved My Grieving Family

Ad Choices
PAID PARTNER CONTENT
AWD + Turbo: Discover the New Mazda CX-30 2.5

BY MAZDA
If you’ve ever lived in a mountainous region with heavy winters, or taken a road trip in a remote part of the world, you know all-wheel drive is a game-changer.

Thank you for reading TIME. You have a limited number of free articles.
SUBSCRIBE NOW

© 2021 TIME USA, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service, Privacy Policy (Your California Privacy Rights) and Do Not Sell My Personal Information.
TIME may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. Offers may be subject to change without notice.
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy Terms of Service apply.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Wrong. Again.

https://time.com/5951841/the-week-brazil-went-off-the-rails/

The Week Brazil Went Off the Rails
Jair Bolsonaro, Brazil's president, pauses while speaking during a news conference at the Planalto Palace in Brasilia, Brazil, on Wednesday, March 31, 2021. Commanders of Brazil's army, navy and air force were fired on Tuesday after Bolsonaro dismissed his defense chief as part of a broader cabinet restructuring.'s president, pauses while speaking during a news conference at the Planalto Palace in Brasilia, Brazil, on Wednesday, March 31, 2021. Commanders of Brazil's army, navy and air force were fired on Tuesday after Bolsonaro dismissed his defense chief as part of a broader cabinet restructuring.

Andressa Anholete/Bloomberg via Getty Images
IDEAS
BY IAN BREMMER

APRIL 4, 2021 1:45 PM EDT
Bremmer is a foreign affairs columnist and editor-at-large at TIME. He is the president of Eurasia Group, a political-risk consultancy, and GZERO Media, a company dedicated to providing intelligent and engaging coverage of international affairs. He teaches applied geopolitics at Columbia University’s School of International and Public Affairs and his most recent book is Us vs. Them: The Failure of Globalism.
In the midst of a global pandemic, it’s difficult to determine which country is faring the absolute worst. But any short list at this point must include Brazil.
On Monday, embattled Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro made the decision to upend his cabinet, replacing six ministers. Some of the departures weren’t surprising, like far-right Foreign Affairs Minister Ernesto Arujo, a close ally of Bolsonaro’s whose combative approach to international affairs has drawn fire given Brazil’s struggles to source vaccines from abroad. But other dismissals caught many off-guard, particularly that of Defense Minister Fernando Azevedo e Silva. Bolsonaro, a former Army captain who has spoken fondly about the country’s past military dictatorship (as well as authoritarian leaders more broadly), has recruited many active and retired generals to join his administration. Azevedo was one of them.

But since Bolsonaro took office in 2019, concern has been growing among military brass that Bolsonaro’s overtures could erode the military’s independence from politics beyond acceptable limits, a sentiment shared by the ousted Azevedo. On Tuesday, the heads of the Navy, Army and Air Force were dismissed by the President after they threatened to resign in protest over Bolsonaro’s push to have the armed forces defend his administration politically. For Bolsonaro’s military detractors, Bolsonaro’s increasing coziness with the military isn’t just a threat to the country’s ability to function as a proper democracy, but to the standing of the military itself. As Bolsonaro’s political fortunes continue to suffer, the worry is that he will take the military’s reputation down with him, a reputation they have spent decades rebuilding since the military junta ended in 1985.
The doomsday scenario for military leadership? Bolsonaro either loses the upcoming presidential election in 2022 or faces impeachment in the interim, decries either as illegitimate and tries to force the military to back him in his claims. The good news from this week is that top military leaders sent him a strong message: they will choose democracy over defending his administration at all costs.

PAID PARTNER CONTENT
What does your water bottle say about you?
BY NAPCOR - POSITIVELY PET
Unfortunately for Brazil, there’s plenty more. Amidst Brazil’s worst financial crisis in decades, Bolsonaro has also been playing economic games. The latest revolves around the 2021 budget Brazil’s Congress managed to pass last week. To get it over the finished line and still remain under the spending cap, legislators earmarked billions more for discretionary spending by artificially deflating “mandatory” expenses like social welfare and unemployment so they could direct more funds to their preferred projects. For months now, Bolsonaro has been entertaining unorthodox proposals to fund different types of infrastructure projects from his advisors, as well as Regional Development Minister Rogerio Marinho. This was their latest attempt at doing so, and likely came with Bolsonaro’s unofficial blessing.
Less entertained by these proposals have been the technocratic members of Bolsonaro’s economic team, led by Economy Minister Paulo Guedes. While the legislation passed formally adheres to the spending cap, the reality is that the growth of mandatory expenses in the midst of a pandemic will cause total spending to skyrocket past the limits set under the constitution. And under Brazilian law, these economic advisors would be legally liable should that come to pass and they sign off on it. That led to rumblings that members of his economic team were preparing to use the threat of a government shutdown, and even their eventual resignation, to ensure Bolsonaro wouldn’t green-light the measures without significant changes.

A government shutdown or the enactment of a fake budget is unlikely at this point—leaving aside the recent political drama, Bolsonaro is politically liable should this legislation be approved as it stands. His predecessor, Dilma Rousseff, was impeached for not adhering to fiscal responsibility laws, and Bolsonaro opens himself up to the same fate by signing off on the legislation. It is unlikely Bolsonaro or his internal team understood that before the economic team began pushing back, and a supplementary bill is likely forthcoming to undo the worst of the damage. But Monday’s decision by Bolsonaro to appoint a centrist lawmaker with close ties to the House Speaker as his Government Minister (the person who manages the federal government’s relationship with legislators) shows he recognizes his need for more allies in Congress to stave off the worst.
And the worst is coming. Brazil’s daily death rate from Covid-19 is now tops in the world at over 3,100 (based on a seven-day average) and the country has just passed 325,000 Covid casualties overall. According to Reuters, ICU capacity has reached 90% or more in 15 of Brazil’s states (out of 26 overall). All that would be tragic enough, but the tragedy is compounded by Bolsonaro’s consistent minimizing of Covid-19 and past exhortations that the Brazilian people “stop whining.” Rather than fighting to protect the health of the Brazilian public, he has shown more interest fighting governors who have announced new lockdown measures as their public health systems collapse. Only recently has Bolsonaro embraced a mass vaccination program.
All of which means that Bolsonaro’s fortunes are at the mercy of the country’s Covid-19 trajectory. The situation for both Brazil and Bolsonaro will get worse over the next few weeks, but if the fever then breaks and the health situation starts to improve, Bolsonaro’s chances at reelection improve dramatically, which means less political drama like the kind we’ve seen over the last few days. But if the situation doesn’t improve meaningfully come early summer, Brazil will find itself in both a health crisis and a political crisis as Bolsonaro takes increasingly desperate measures to prop up his reelection bid and fend off a potential motion to impeach him.
2021 is shaping up to be worse than 2020 for Brazil. That’s really something.

Subscribe to TIME

Sign up for Inside TIME. Be the first to see the new cover of TIME and get our most compelling stories delivered straight to your inbox.
Paper-plane.svg

You can unsubscribe at any time. By signing up you are agreeing to our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
CONTACT US AT [email protected].
TIME Ideas hosts the world's leading voices, providing commentary on events in news, society, and culture. We welcome outside contributions. Opinions expressed do not necessarily reflect the views of TIME editors.
SHARE THIS STORY
READ MORE FROM TIME

POLITICS
Biden Plans Executive Actions to Combat Ghost Guns
Biden's plan to crack down on ghost guns comes amid increased pressure on him to combat gun violence following several mass shootings
ENTERTAINMENT
How a New Kung Fu TV Series Is Reclaiming Much More Than Just the Martial Arts

https://time.com/5953047/lgbtq-holocaust-stories/
HISTORY
How LGBTQ Victims Were Erased From Holocaust History

https://time.com/5953044/mitch-mcconnell-mlb-georgia/
POLITICS
Mitch McConnell Tries to Have it Both Ways on Corporate Cash

https://time.com/5952716/missed-second-vaccine-appointment/
HEALTH
What to Do If You Miss Your Second COVID-19 Vaccine Dose

RELATED STORIES
IDEAS
Higher Education Has a Tax Problem

IDEAS
How We Define Violent Crime Shapes Who Gets Punished

IDEAS
How a Pandemic Puppy Saved My Grieving Family

Ad Choices
PAID PARTNER CONTENT
AWD + Turbo: Discover the New Mazda CX-30 2.5

BY MAZDA
If you’ve ever lived in a mountainous region with heavy winters, or taken a road trip in a remote part of the world, you know all-wheel drive is a game-changer.

Thank you for reading TIME. You have a limited number of free articles.
SUBSCRIBE NOW

© 2021 TIME USA, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service, Privacy Policy (Your California Privacy Rights) and Do Not Sell My Personal Information.
TIME may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. Offers may be subject to change without notice.
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy Terms of Service apply.

That's and opinion piece and people are entitled to their opinions but that does not alter the fact that less than 0.2% of Brazil's population has died from the virus.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
yalor. all obese brazilazyians should be culled. about 16.9% of their population.

At the moment it's less than 0.169% so there is a long way to go.

Never before have I seen a simple virus being used as a yardstick for measuring government performance. The virus couldn't give a shit who runs the show or what they do. Viruses spread and living species react based on an immune system that has been honed over 200,000 years. Some in the species are more resilient and some are weaker. That's just the way things go.

Governments have already made a mess of procreation by creating a system where the weak and the stupid procreate at a faster rate than the strong and the intelligent. Now they are trying to destroy Darwinism by interfering with the dying process.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Every country has there own unique set of circumstances but if you look at the overall picture you'll see that the overall worldwide mortality rate is between 0.15% to 0.2%.

As far as Brazil goes let's do the sums. Brazil has a population of 214 million and it has recorded 366,000 deaths which means that 99.83% of the population have not died of Covid.

Even if Brazil's numbers reach 1 million deaths that's still way short of what would be considered a killer disease.

The problem that Brazil has is the fact that regional governments are defying their President's instructions to keep the economy open and are imposing their own lockdowns and mask mandates which we all know by know just makes matters worse.

214 million population,everyone in Brazil has covid?

Let's assume every has covid in Brazil and it's full zombie apocalypse......at current 4000 death rate that's 1.2 million deaths a year....more than 1%....

If we assume a lower rate of infected cases.....the mortality rate could be as high as 2 to 5%.

nightsafari

Alfrescian
Loyal
Every country has there own unique set of circumstances but if you look at the overall picture you'll see that the overall worldwide mortality rate is between 0.15% to 0.2%.

As far as Brazil goes let's do the sums. Brazil has a population of 214 million and it has recorded 366,000 deaths which means that 99.83% of the population have not died of Covid.

I don't have any disagreements with your data on the mortality rate. At a glance, it may seem like a trivial matter where it's a fraction of a percent and therefore not a serious disease

But let's consider the next point first.

Even if Brazil's numbers reach 1 million deaths that's still way short of what would be considered a killer disease.
At this point, I will politely disagree with you on that definition. I would consider enough of a killer to warrant further measures. I know, I know there are worse things with mortality rates reaching 30-50%.

The problem that Brazil has is the fact that regional governments are defying their President's instructions to keep the economy open and are imposing their own lockdowns and mask mandates which we all know by know just makes matters worse.
I don't know the situation there and can't really comment. But what made me sit up was delta between flu season deaths and covid deaths. They're comparable on a seasonal vs daily basis! :eek:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
At the moment it's less than 0.169% so there is a long way to go.

Never before have I seen a simple virus being used as a yardstick for measuring government performance. The virus couldn't give a shit who runs the show or what they do. Viruses spread and living species react based on an immune system that has been honed over 200,000 years. Some in the species are more resilient and some are weaker. That's just the way things go.

Governments have already made a mess of procreation by creating a system where the weak and the stupid procreate at a faster rate than the strong and the intelligent. Now they are trying to destroy Darwinism by interfering with the dying process.
the more unfit and lazy bums the virus cull, the better it is for the planet (and everyone else who keeps fit and slim). i believe you and i share the same belief in the evolutionary process and law of the jungle. the world is now taken over by weak-knee politicians who bend to the will of the (weaker, lazier, more stupid, unhealthy) majority. by 2069 at this rate, earth will be dominated by sexplosion of populations in africa, south asia, south east asia, and covered in every corner with poverty, filth and homelessness. i tell myself never to be reborn nor reincarnate again. it will be living hell on the planet. an epic culling can help change the course.