• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Some common Malay words that are useful to know in JB

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Forgot le ... Not expensive la. Almost all tables ordered the crab. Think it's the signature dish. I didn't try it that day because I wanted to eat a big big fish. Seabass only rm4 per 100 gm. It was so full of meat and so yummy!! :smile:

The crab would be free if u catch it yourself haha

Direct translation:

Lupa le..Tak mahal lah. Hampir semua meja pesan ketam. Boleh jadi itu lauk yang paling istimewa. Saya tak cuba sebab hari itu saya hendak makan ikan yang besar besar. Siakap hanya $4 ringgit untuk 100 gram. Banyak isi dan sangat sedap!!:smile:

Ketam di beri percuma kalau kita tangkap sendiri haha

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
From the conversations here, I see most of the time people use "saya" for I.."aku" also I..what is the difference when will people use aku and saya?

To me:

"Aku" sounds informal and kasar.

"Saya" sounds more cultured and refined.

KNNBCCB

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"Saya ingin curi sebuah kereta besar, misalnya Mercedes. Lepas it saya ingin jualkan kereta kepada BosSam dengan harga tinggi. Boss itu kaya tetapi kedekut."

The Malay-English translation from Google:
I want to steal a large car, such as Mercedes. After it I want to sell cars to BosSam high prices. It is rich but stingy boss.

How to pronounce misalnya? Mi-sa-na?

you know how to pronounce NGEE ANN poly ?

misalnya. .. pronounce as Missile ngee-ya. :wink:

Last edited:

KNNBCCB

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
haha very clear explanation! how about the colours coklat and ungu?

wah.. you wanna test me is it ? :biggrin: wait i try...

coklat as in chocolate in english.. same pronounce.

real word for brown color is perang.

ungu pronounce as UN-GU... this wan very hard... :biggrin:
you know how to pronounce PUNGGOL ? The pung ...you take out the P ... prounounce as UNG...
Then... the "gu" as in cow in hokkien... :biggrin:

Last edited:

groober2011

Alfrescian
Loyal

you know how to pronounce PUNGGOL ? The pung ...you take out the P ... prounounce as UNG...

I seldom hear people using "perang" for brown and "perang" also means war. Coklat is the common adjective for brown and in everyday usage. Non-native speakers should stick to coklat and it is easier to remember.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal

oic thanks

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
I seldom hear people using "perang" for brown and "perang" also means war. Coklat is the common adjective for brown and in everyday usage. Non-native speakers should stick to coklat and it is easier to remember.

Hi, noticed the Malay adjective is always placed behind the noun, opposite of English..is it true for all cases?

Last edited:

groober2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
Words relating to the home

gate - pintu pagar
door - pintu
window - tingkap
paint - cat (pronounced as chart)
lock - kunci
roof - bumbung
key - anak kunci
ceiling - siling
garden - taman
fence - pagar
toilet - tandas
room - bilik
bedroom - bilik tidur
kitchen - dapur
house - rumah
storey - tingkat
flooring - lantai
porch - anjung
grass - rumput
tree - pokok
light switch - suis lampu
sink - sinki
drain - longkang
pond - kolam
faucet - keran
bathroom - bilik mandi
wrong - salah
correct - betul
wall - dinding
furniture - perabot
fan - kipas
ceiling fan - kipas siling
oven - ketuhar
refrigerator - peti sejuk
low - rendah
high - tinggi
curtains - langsir
wood - kayu
metal - logam
stone - batu
cement - simen
electrical wiring - pendawaian elektrik
interior - dalaman
exterior - luaran
driveway - jalan masuk rumah
pillars tiang
stairs - tangga
hall - dewan
storage room - bilik stor

cockcansing

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hi there. Been quite awhile since been here. Anyway for Perang is usually related to bronze colour. As for Ungu in purple.