• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Sinkies Speak Bad English & Bad Chinese. I Agree With Jim Rogers.

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
US billionaire Jim Rogers surprised by S’poreans’ poor command of English & Chinese when he moved here
He was half kidding.
Matthias Ang |
clock.png
September 18, 2018 @ 06:26 pm

JimRogersSGskyline.jpg

You might have heard of the Rogers family.

They are an extremely rich American expat family living in Singapore.
Jim Rogers is a prominent billionaire investor who started Quantum Fund — a well-known hedge fund — together with George Soros, another well-known investor.
The Rogers family have made headlines with the insistence on the young ones learning Chinese.

So much so that one of Rogers’ daughters is able to speak better Mandarin than most Chinese Singaporeans.

The Rogers family have been living in Singapore since 2007.

Why did they move to Singapore?

According to a Aug. 27 talk Rogers gave in San Francisco titled, “Where Are The Opportunities Today?”, he said his main reason for moving to Singapore was to give his children the chance to learn Mandarin:
“We moved there so that my children would speak Mandarin. For those of you who don’t know, Singapore is 75 percent Chinese ethnic group anyway. A lot of people speak Mandarin. I moved there [Singapore] partly because I don’t speak Mandarin and they [Singaporeans] speak English and Mandarin. So that’s great for me.”
It would not be a stretch to see that part of this move stems from Rogers’ view that the global economy’s future will be driven by Asia.
Notably, he has even called the 21st century the “century of China“.
Advertisement

Finding out the reality of standards

However, much to the amusement of his audience, Rogers said he found the reality in Singapore to be something else:
“What I didn’t know when I got there was [that] they [Singaporeans] speak bad English and bad Mandarin.”
He proceeded to qualify his statement with some tongue-in-cheek observation.
“Now there are some people who speak good English and some people who speak good Mandarin,” he said.

And then he joked: “I’m sure I’m going to be arrested as soon as I get back to Singapore.”

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
LKY the meddling jack-in-office, in his misguided ’wisdom‘, suppressed the Chinese dialects to nudge Sinkies towards 讲华语. Looks like that 'cunning plan' backfired. :wink:

Ironically, the Malaysian Chinese didn't undergo such petty social engineering, and their command of Chinese (Mandarin) is quite excellent apart from the occasional 联邦腔 accent, but even that is a regional thing.

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
Not only language speaking wise but general knowledge wise Sinkies are damn shallow and ignorant.
Why do you think we call them sinkies? They're happy to sink to the bottom, remain at the bottom, and keep supporting a blood-sucking government that keeps them under.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This AMDK forget that our native tongue, our dialect isn't English, or Chinese. It's KNNBCCB Hokkien, Tui Leh Ma Kor Hai Cantonese, Poo Boor Kia Teochew and so on. :biggrin:

Yes
When an individual speaks dialect at home,
it becomes challenging to master English and Mandarin.

ilovechinesegal

Alfrescian
Loyal
As a English native speaker, they categorize chinese and Japanese as the 5th category which is the most difficult to master. English and chinese language is fucking diff. English and those european language then have some similarity and easier to learn and master. That is why sg ppl speak singlish due to the complexity of the both language plus we also need to do math and other subject. Brain damage if can master all things. Some can slang english but neglect chinese totally. There are ppl can master two language at great heights and surprisingly, is those ah tiong.

maxsanic

Alfrescian
Loyal
He's not wrong. The average Singaporean's English competency remains at the colloquial level and is generally not something that would stand in a formal setting. Chinese levels are a notch lower with many not even being able to string a complete sentence in Chinese for everyday conversation without resorting to Singlish interjections.

mudhatter

Alfrescian
Loyal
The follies of dead old fart Harry Lee coming to the fore.

For all the undue praises heaped on him, his brainchild stinkypore is falling apart and all its limitations getting exposed to the whole world.

We know chinks are copycats anyway. Nothing new or surprising.

greedy and cunning

Alfrescian
Loyal
taiwanese can speeaks good authentic mandarin and hokkien
when they speake engerish , it is better than singerish.
taiwanese are lucky they dont have a big headed crook
telling them to stop speaking hokkien .

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
The follies of dead old fart Harry Lee coming to the fore.

For all the undue praises heaped on him, his brainchild stinkypore is falling apart and all its limitations getting exposed to the whole world.

We know chinks are copycats anyway. Nothing new or surprising.
Why do you hate chinks so much? :thumbsdown:

Patriot

Alfrescian
Loyal
LKY the meddling jack-in-office, in his misguided ’wisdom‘, suppressed the Chinese dialects to nudge Sinkies towards 讲华语. Looks like that 'cunning plan' backfired. :wink:

Ironically, the Malaysian Chinese didn't undergo such petty social engineering, and their command of Chinese (Mandarin) is quite excellent apart from the occasional 联邦腔 accent, but even that is a regional thing.

联邦腔 ?
口音