• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Sinkie 'Celeb' said gambling was his career for 3 years

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
Peter Yu's variety of jobs made him a better actor: "Gambling was my career for 3 years"

photo_librarySee 29 More Photoschevron_rightchevron_left
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppGmail Share
Posted on 21 February 2019 | 1,374 views | 0 comments | 179 reading now
John Lui
The Straits Times
Feb 20, 2019

After a decade at Mediacorp, Peter Yu walked away in 2000. The Channel 8 actor and Star Awards finalist wanted to see what the wider world had to offer. And see he did.
He busied himself selling cars, property and stocks. He drove a taxi.
He was also a full-time gambler. "Gambling was my career for three years," he says with a laugh.
He bet on football and created a home office, where its walls were covered in maps and fixtures from around the world. He analysed scores and consulted experts.

But that line of work tanked following heavy losses in the third year. Then, starting in 2015, acting offers trickled in for parts in commercials, short films and television shows.

Now a fervent Christian, he attributes the sudden influx of offers so late in life to the will of God.
In church testimonials that can be found online, he speaks about how his life spun out of control following the divorce from his first wife, actress and host Quan Yifeng, with whom he has a daughter.

These days, the mellower 51-year-old says he enjoys acting more now than he used to back in the 1990s.
A role in a short film led to his discovery by film-maker Yeo Siew Hua, who cast Yu as investigator Lok in his award-winning drama, A Land Imagined.

Last year, the missing-persons mystery won the Golden Leopard at the Locarno Film Festival and Best Film in the Asian Feature Film Competition section at the Singapore International Film Festival.
The years that Yu spent at a variety of jobs has made him a better actor, he reckons. For example, in the scenes shot in the industrial zone in Tuas, the sight of massive earth-moving machinery, noise, fumes and intense lights might seem other-worldly to most Singaporeans.
But not to him. He felt comfortable there.

"As a taxi driver, you drive all over, so you see everything," he says.
But filming did take the actor to places he had never been, such as the all-hours cybercafes in which migrant workers from China might spend hours chatting with friends back home or playing games. Filming also took him to the dormitories where workers lived, places which few Singaporeans have seen, or would want to.
"Who will want to go to the dormitories? Yeo Siew Hua put it on the screen. He is showing you the real Singapore," he says.

And overseas, festival audiences have been fascinated by a side of a crazy rich country they had not previously seen or heard about, he adds.
Now that his acting career is gathering momentum, he is not looking back. He has a supporting part in the television series based on Dick Lee's stage musical, Fried Rice Paradise, set to launch on Channel 5 and Toggle in July.

Yu, who is married to sales merchandiser Brenda Leow, can be also seen in the monster movie Circle Line, expected in cinemas later this year.
With Leow, he is the father of two sons aged two and six, and is now busy enough as an actor that he can give up his other job.
"I returned the taxi I was renting back to ComfortDelGro. It was costing too much to let it sit," he says.
A Land Imagined opens in cinemas on Feb 21.

Get a copy of The Straits Times or go to straitstimes.com for more stories.

Get more of Stomp's latest updates by following us on Facebook, WhatsApp, Twitter,Instagram and YouTube.

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think this is not gambling.
It is like gaming. Sound like making gaming your way of life sucks.

It's not gambling. It is gaming. Jesus find that he is not cut out for gaming. So give him another way out.

Robert Half

Alfrescian
Loyal
U lose everything in 1 min with gambling.

U need to be a serious retard and loser to lose everything with investing.

It’s still possible to lose everything with investing.

Only naive people invest with the belief and greed that those :devilish: will help them to grow and earn more money :thumbsdown:

In my life till now, I never or ever will invest a dollar in all these :poop:

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
It’s still possible to lose everything with investing.

Only naive people invest with the belief and greed that those :devilish: will help them to grow and earn more money :thumbsdown:

In my life till now, I never or ever will invest a dollar in all these :poop:

U think life is one big certainty? U think when u cross the road when it flashes the green light, u 100% won't get hit by a speeding car? Life's all about the fucking possibilities.

Robert Half

Alfrescian
Loyal
U think life is one big certainty? U think when u cross the road when it flashes the green light, u 100% won't get hit by a speeding car? Life's all about the fucking possibilities.

Don’t gamble don’t invest one will not lose anything that is one big certainty.

Only people like you believe in all these fucking :devilish: who tell you to invest and grow your money.

I will not invest a dollar to enrich all these fucking :devilish: ... it’s my money it’s my wish :rolleyes:

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don’t gamble don’t invest one will not lose anything that is one big certainty.

What rubbish are u talking about? Even if u put your money into a savings account in a bank, if the bank goes bust, there goes your fucking money. U talk like life is a script that is full of certainties and 100%s