• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singapore's future

A

Alu862

If there is a revolution in Singapore Who will come into power? CS? LTK? CST? Sebastian Teo? JBJ?

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
My opinion is that none of those you mentioned are capable of leading singapore, at this point of their development. For that reason, even though some of them feel that they are capable of overthrowing the ruling party and running singapore, they need to do a reality check with the voters to see if that is really what the voters want.

Take SDP for example. They often talked of civil disobedience.

One question they need to answer for themselves at least, is to which class of voters they are appealing to?

The political spectrum is a bell curve, with perhaps 80% of the voters clustered in the moderate zone. That is why political parties seek to operate in the middle and make coalitions with those who operate at either extremes.

Thus the question is: with SDP operating at an extreme end, how can they reach out to the moderate voters?

And do they know the composition of voters? The newly-minted migrants will be pro-PAP, a very safe bet. Thus the number of votes for the PAP is likely to increase. Especially as some of the people (i do not know if they are opposition but very unlikely to be PAP) called them ah nehs and prc whatever. And they will vote for them?!

And why should there be a revolution? The PAP is doing an adequate job at the moment. Sure there are boo-boos but match against these are the Opposition's paranoia about PAP spies and inability to work together. And incompatible platforms, incoherent policies. And talks about revolution. And assumed premise that the opposition must oppose. A discerning voter may, nay, will think very hard about the situation.

Thus Singapore's future is hopefully not based on revolution but making better what is already a good situation.

My two cents.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
this clearly points out why many FTs preferred to be PRs, and not Citizens... :biggrin:

are PRs on EP as well? :confused:

Don't know whether to laugh or cry. In KL and Genting, there're many FTs too (mostly PRCs and Arabs). The M'sian government would allow them to work there as and when required, but would never allow citizenship or even PR for them. S'pore is begging FTs to take up citizenship? Laugh or cry? Your call.

jw5

Loyal
kakowi
Agree with most of what you wrote.
But do you agree that the country needs more opposition party members in parliament to ensure that the ordinary citizen's voice is heard and that the ruling party is transparent and accountable for what they say and do? That the ruling party needs to put the needs of the citizen first expecially the poor and under-privildeged?
Perhaps the alternative party members who can actually help to run the country are not those mentioned by the thread starter. But who are these potential opposition MPs? When will they step forward? Do they even exist, given that most of the population are not capable, intelligent, altruistic and well-meaning enough and the rest who are, probably are more concerned with their own well being and personal interests?

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Perhaps the alternative party members who can actually help to run the country are not those mentioned by the thread starter. But who are these potential opposition MPs? When will they step forward? Do they even exist, given that most of the population are not capable, intelligent, altruistic and well-meaning enough and the rest who are, probably are more concerned with their own well being and personal interests?

bro,

perhaps for the very same reason why you haven't stepped forward... :p

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Don't know whether to laugh or cry. In KL and Genting, there're many FTs too (mostly PRCs and Arabs). The M'sian government would allow them to work there as and when required, but would never allow citizenship or even PR for them. S'pore is begging FTs to take up citizenship? Laugh or cry? Your call.

i've been very disturbed the whole night over your statement :eek: still pondering... should i cry or should i laugh? :confused:

on the whole, i see the need for fresh blood, but not to the extend of over-populating this already-uber-crowded space: this idea of over 6K folks per squared kilometre of land space isn't really ideal.

jw5

Loyal
bro,

perhaps for the very same reason why you haven't stepped forward... :p
bro
I haven't stepped forward for 3 reasons:
1. Not capable and intelligent enough.
2. Too concerned about personal well being.
3. Don't think Singaporeans are worth the trouble, including some of the opposition supporters who seem to be more intent on criticizing the pap indiscriminately, bickering among themselves and condemning one another.

scoobyhoo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore has bright future, i am not able to predict, and do not know. However, one thing is sure, i, as a faithful Singaporean who served full NS and NSman In-camp-trainings, have no future. Even doubt that what should i do, if i am old and lost the ability of self-financial-support.. :(

ahbengsong

Alfrescian
Loyal
[[And why should there be a revolution? The PAP is doing an adequate job at the moment. ]]

To the extent that the pap does not believe in accountability and transparency ??... how does a job be measured as "adequate" without any transparency.... go figure it out...

ahbengsong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore has bright future, i am not able to predict, and do not know. However, one thing is sure, i, as a faithful Singaporean who served full NS and NSman In-camp-trainings, have no future. Even doubt that what should i do, if i am old and lost the ability of self-financial-support.. :(

The only way to ensure self financial support is to plan your post-working life outside of sgp....

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
... I haven't stepped forward for 3 reasons ...

bro,

leaders need not be the brightest, they need to inspire! Lenin wasn't really bright, he was bright but certainly not the brightest; and Lenin sure was able to charm those all around him, and an entire nation would forge forward with him.

to be honest, who isn't concerned about his/her own well-being? i'm terribly guilty of that too! :eek: self preservation is innate in all of us! but the ability to see beyond it, you're above the level of competence.

as for the 3rd point, i'm truly stumped. perhaps it's not your time and not mine either, we live in this generation where the populace had been a total washout: incapable of making their own ideas and being herded around like sheep... :eek:

perhaps they planned it all along... quizas... quizas... quizas... :biggrin:

A

Alu862

Well said so far. Civil Disobidience is one thing, but given the unlikely situation that is suceeds, rebuilding and ruling the country is another. So far, I give the WP an ok for is sort of policies (in its outdated 2006 Manifesto), SDA (Huh?) and SDP zlich for its all protest but no policy stance. NSP and RP, err, who are they.

And before you start saying I'm a PAP apologist, check out my other posts.

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
kakowi
Agree with most of what you wrote.
But do you agree that the country needs more opposition party members in parliament to ensure that the ordinary citizen's voice is heard and that the ruling party is transparent and accountable for what they say and do? That the ruling party needs to put the needs of the citizen first expecially the poor and under-privildeged?

There are too many perspectives and angles to answer in your post. For example there are five aspects in just your first sentence:

"But do you agree that the country needs more opposition party members in parliament to ensure that the ordinary citizen's voice is heard and that the ruling party is transparent and accountable for what they say and do?"

I will use what I feel is a foundational answer:

that Voters need to think through these issues for themselves​

suteerak1099

Alfrescian
Loyal
quite frankly, whoever comes next to take the seat is going to have a splitting headache. as is, if we dont already know/notice, the current run of the mill is basically, digging 1 hole to patch up another. on the surface it looks like the econ is good n healthy, $ is rolling, but factually, its quite stagnant when we're just shifting $ from the left pocket to the right pocket, n later from the right pocket to the back pocket, n then later to the breast pocket, n eventually back to the left pocket.

nt to mention, from time to time, the $ goes out in red packets to be parked elsewhere, in hope that there's going to be any dividends. when there's dividends, they pop the champagne, when the $ is lost, all is quiet n pretend the $ was never there.

n while the $ is spinning in its own confined cycle, time is wasted, without ever having enough to fulfil the rising needs vs the growing population in this already saturated island. hence creating more avenues to enforce expenditure, so to make the GDP look good. all the hype n hoohaa of a prettier city, infrastructures to lure investors to park their $ here hasnt really reached its full effect.