• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singapore presence in CWG: An Utter Disgrace...

moomoo

Alfrescian
Loyal
You are correct. In fact the British treated us well too.

But they were quite nasty in South Asia, i.e Burma and India.

Overall, Singapoe and HK owe it to the Brits for our success.

:smile:

The British have had a long history of human rights abuse and cruelty. But to their credit they TRIED TO PROGRESS FROM IT. They still have a lot of problems in their country today.

The fact that they invaded 1/3 of the Earth and killed so many people is a terrible thing. The opium wars, child migrants, the way they lorded over people in their colonies etc etc.

These shall be remembered as part of history.

Wrong, the British force Hong Kong to take part before 1997, China stop this.

The British didn't force anyone in HK to do anything. They did not even impose their language or culture on the HKers much. Most HKers speak Cantonese and cannot speak much English at all.

The Chinese government on the other hand kills anyone who tries to say something they don't like. It has been that way since 3000 years ago under the different emperors :rolleyes:

Just try asking the average Hong Konger if they want British rule or Chinese rule and see what they say. :rolleyes:

eErotica69

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
To me larning English is just like learning Java programming skill, accounting skill, pragmatic reason, nothing to do with dignity.

Farker who say things like "without English..you will be nowhere...not happy go eliminate english and go back and learn Chinese lah...blah blah blah" are the one who are selling their dignity.

Do you understand? Or do you prefer to continue letting your pig brain confuse you?

之前我们俩人还在对立,现在却站在同一阵线!! Funny right?

:smile:

Royalblood

Alfrescian
Loyal
You really make me laugh. Naive nonsensical retard.

Are you saying the Chinese in China are their own masters? For ALL their 3000 years history, Chinese citizens have been ruled over by dictators and emperors. You could be hanged as long as the dictator resents you. That is if the poverty, lack of healthcare, lack of education, crime, corruption, poisonous milk, poor food and water hygiene dont kill you first of course. The median wage of a Chinese citizen today is only 150 USD per month.

For the pass 5000 years, Europe was ruled by dictators/ crazy monarchs too and living conditions then were just as bad if not worse! Why singled China in this instance?

Oh wait! Do the europeans have 5000 years of civilized history to begin with!?
They started out as barbarians for quite a big part of their history!

The primary cause of China's backwardness after WW2 is communism.

Communism produces crazy power hungry rulers such as Joseph Stalin, Mao and Kim.....
This model of government bestow too much unchecked power in the hands of a selected few who would do anything to ensure their absolute rule. The economic and social problems faced by PRC is not unique to just PRC itself, they are being shared by other communist countries too. This shows that communism is an extremely flawed model and highly unsustainable; evidently, we have seen many ex-communist countries turn free-market or at least go partial free market.

PS: What is the origin of communism?
German ideology adopted by the eastern hemisphere!
oh yea...watz new!? Yet another verminous ideology from the west to pollute our eastern values! :oIo:

eErotica69

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Huh?

Try this site, it may help. Look under the grammar section.:rolleyes:

www.dictionary.com

Ok friend, take it easy. Let's take a break and listen to this song. Try figuring out which part is Cantonese, which part is Vietnamese!!

Nice song, enjoy!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rROgBhDN9H8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rROgBhDN9H8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

:smile::smile:

dream_waker

Alfrescian
Loyal
For the pass 5000 years, Europe was ruled by dictators/ crazy monarchs too and living conditions then were just as bad if not worse! Why singled China in this instance?

Communism produces crazy power hungry rulers such as Joseph Stalin, Mao and Kim.....
This model of government bestow too much unchecked power in the hands of a selected few who would do anything to ensure their absolute rule. The economic and social problems faced by PRC is not unique to just PRC itself, they are being shared by other communist countries too. This shows that communism is an extremely flawed model and highly unsustainable; evidently, we have seen many ex-communist countries turn free-market or at least go partial free market.

oh yea...watz new!? Yet another verminous ideology from the west to pollute our eastern values! :oIo:

Good point.

moomoo

Alfrescian
Loyal

No these are not true.

China and India were both the biggest economies from year 1 - year 1800, that is true. But that is solely because of their size, they have 1/4 of the world's population each.

By the 1500s, Western Europe had a much better standing of living compared to China. Their GDP per capita was much higher.

Dictatorships in Europe? Not really.

By 500 BC, there was already democracy in Greece. By 1200, the British people had already forced their king to sign the magna carta, which meant the king had to obey by the laws of the land and could not kill people at will. The people had rights. Their kings were definitely not like the Chinese emperors.

Fast forward to 2010, China still does not have democracy, something the Greeks had 3000 years ago.

By the 1800s, the Western European powers were already conquering the world. They came to China and the Chinese shivered in fear and gave up land to them because they were too weak to resist. The Europeans had science and technology. They had guns and ships. That is why they won.

Fast forward to 2010, China is still around 100 years behind the US in terms of science and technology. Its per capita gdp is 4000, the US's is 46000. China has been behind Western Europe since 1500, which is 600 years time. And before 1500, China was not in front of Europe, it was on par with Europe.

Western powers have been trying their hardest to convert China into a democracy since the year 1943 when the Communist pigs took over China. From criticism of China's human rights abuses, to giving asylum to thousands of Chinese refugees, to giving arms to Taiwan, to recently giving the nobel prize to liu xiaobao. You must be schizophrenic to think otherwise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Divergence

Last edited:

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
As for communism, it is the direct opposite of what you are saying. Western powers have been trying their hardest to convert China into a democracy since the year 1943 when the Communist took over China. From criticism of China's human rights abuses, to giving asylum to thousands of Chinese refugees, to giving arms to Taiwan, to recently giving the nobel prize to liu xiaobao. You must be schizophrenic to think otherwise.

United States was to blame for KMT defeat to the Communists in 1949.

Anglo-American interest groups controlling US state department and Russian/Comintern agents colluded with each other in subverting nationalist China. US betrayal and hypocrisy - Yalta betrayal, Marshall dupe mission to China, arms embargo from 1946-1948 were significant factors in the defeat of KMT in China.

longbow

Alfrescian
Loyal
Me thinks KMT defeated because they did not care for the millions of poor farmers. They sold out to the highest bidder and Chiang's wife spent time in the US social scene spending money like water as her country disintegrate.

No different from various revolutions. when you push the masses to brink of starvation they will whack back hard. Without the adverse conditions on the ground Mao had no support. Whatever one may say about Mao, he did unite the country and once the country was united, given its size and population, made it hard and costly for foreigners to control. Of course his great leap was a disaster. Difference between China and other former colonies like India, Middle East, Africa. China was always China, a people linked by a common language and dominant ethnic han.

India, like Africa, was pieced together by the colonial powers, without care for religion, ethnic makeup or language. That is why we have seen the formation of Pakistan, Bangladesh and continued friction within India itself. Same too for Africa and Middle East. If you look at Middle East map, the countries there are divided by straight lines. Some Englishman probably took out his mathematicay instrument set and drew the borders.

Last edited:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Me thinks KMT defeat because they did not care for the millions of poor farmers. They sold out to the highest bidder and Chiang's wife spent time in the US social scene spending money like water as her country disintegrate.

No different from various revolutions. when you push the masses to brink of starvation they will whack back hard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oH0lF1_molA

数英雄 论成败
古今谁能说明白
千秋功罪任评说
海雨天风独往来
一心要江山图治垂青史
也难说身后骂名滚滚来
有道是人间万苦人最苦
终不悔九死落尘埃
有道是得民心者得天下
看江山由谁来主宰
得民心者得天下
看江山由谁来主宰

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Back to the topic of Commonwealth Games, Singapore is now 8th on the medal tally with 3G 4S 4B, higher than Kenya, Jamaica and NZ.

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Me thinks KMT defeated because they did not care for the millions of poor farmers. They sold out to the highest bidder and Chiang's wife spent time in the US social scene spending money like water as her country disintegrate.

KMT losing peasants support was true but not the main reason for the fast fall of KMT in China after WW2.
There are lists of western lies to make Chiang regime look bad, to hide the truth that it was US foreign policies/George Marshall that led to a communist victory in China.

The beginning of the end of Nationalist China was Yalta Betrayal, a US government hijacked by colonialists and communists. [Patrick J. Hurley]

Spock

Alfrescian
Loyal
To me larning English is just like learning Java programming skill, accounting skill, pragmatic reason, nothing to do with dignity.

Yeah sure, don't explain it to me, explain that to the racist rednecks. It doesn't matter to me because I don't worry about such issues.

Do you understand? Or do you prefer to continue letting your pig brain confuse you?

You are just like Jackie Chan who said Chinese people need to be controlled. Maybe I have no dignity, all I know is that it is better to live in an environment where you are not forced to adhere to a certain line of thought.

Don't get me wrong, I am very proud of my Chinese heritage but I call a spade a spade. Because of the British, I have now come to realise that I do not need to respect someone for his position or seniority, only for his "real" achievements. Yes, I do think that is a much better system and that is not the fake meritocracy practised in SG. Being overly defensive is a sign of immaturity and insecurity.

As for the CWG participation, I have no comments on that, I was only commenting that it is alright not to know Chinese even if you are Chinese as long as you are living outside of China. I leave it as a matter of individual preference although I deem it as regretful because you will be missing out on the many good parts of your culture.