• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singapore is worse than a prostitute...

zack123

Alfrescian
Loyal
no. english as first language didn't benefit majority of the citizen.

the truth is the english as first language had crippled the language capability of this nation. especially the younger generation. they cant speak proper english, they cant speak proper mandarin, we spore are screwed in our language. please wake up.

Bah..i think you are just looking down at sporeans ability. I think most have a good grasp of 1 or 2 languages. We speak well and that is the feedback I get from foreigners. And don't ask for data....

tarzan100

Alfrescian
Loyal
Frankly, being a tiny dot means that sometimes you have to behave like a prostitute to obtain material things (economic growth). Having English as the language for business and retaining the mother tongue has kept many young Singaporeans on the world scene. How that has disrupted the culture that is indigenous to the people is moot. Nowadays, the internet has many things that could change one's culture. Adopting a diffrent religion could also change one's cultural pratices and perceptions.

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bah..i think you are just looking down at sporeans ability. I think most have a good grasp of 1 or 2 languages. We speak well and that is the feedback I get from foreigners. And don't ask for data....

u misread them. they are just being polite.

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
Frankly, being a tiny dot means that sometimes you have to behave like a prostitute to obtain material things (economic growth). Having English as the language for business and retaining the mother tongue has kept many young Singaporeans on the world scene. How that has disrupted the culture that is indigenous to the people is moot. Nowadays, the internet has many things that could change one's culture. Adopting a diffrent religion could also change one's cultural pratices and perceptions.

a PERCEIVED economic advantage. the PAP harping about how english as first language had benefited this country. BUT IS IT?

i don't buy this crap about english language as first language policy help give us a very good edge, competitiveness. we take taiwan, we take korea, we take japan for instance. all those countries could stand on their own without english as first language.

there are no real data to back up PAP claim that english as first language had give spore a fucking ace advantage over other countries.

english as 2nd language, or translator will help solve the communication problem. thats what all people do. to state one of spore success is due to english language policy, thats a exaggeration.

Last edited:

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
- the PAP government had started 'Speak Good English' campaign. What does that tell us? Our english spoken language is below par.

- even though chinese constitute 75 percent of the population here, our Chinese language standard is very low.

now what does that tell us? we have a language problem. we cant speak english properly and we cant speak chinese properly.

PAP govt with its english as first language policy had bring us to this stage, whereby we cant speak chinese nor english properly.

We have a problem my friend.

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
We are like a whore. Selling out our language.

And for what?? Is it really good fucking edge over other countries our english? is it? then why 'speak good english' campaign?

we are losing it my friend. we are losing our mind. the sum, the advantage of english as first language doesn't add up. in fact, its a setback, it set us back in terms of language capabilities, skill.

but we spore are so happy, so eager in selling away our asian languages for some false, self-delusive, perceived economic edge.

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
A decidedly human trait. We see only what we are looking for.

if english as first language is a good policy, then why do we need 'speak good english' campaign? because it fail my friend. it fail miserably even decades of english education.

why GCT and LHL have sucky spoken english? sucky spoken english bring this nation good reputation and money??? that give us an edge???

Hakka Tiow

Alfrescian
Loyal
If not for LKY's English policy, all our SPGs would just have to use their mouths only and not their vocal chords.

zack123

Alfrescian
Loyal
We are like a whore. Selling out our language.

And for what?? Is it really good fucking edge over other countries our english? is it? then why 'speak good english' campaign?

we are losing it my friend. we are losing our mind. the sum, the advantage of english as first language doesn't add up. in fact, its a setback, it set us back in terms of language capabilities, skill.

but we spore are so happ, so eager in selling away our asian languages for some false, delusive, perceived economic edge.

In this case would you prefer to be confined to your ethnic language?

In the absence of English as first language, what would you prescribe? Can you relate your language preference in accordance to Spore history and the outcome of this policy up to modern Singapore.

This will ensure that Sporeans know that the policy was faulty and that a substitute was available but not utilised but would prove to be more successful than the current policy.

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
In this case would you prefer to be confined to your ethnic language?

In the absence of English as first language, what would you prescribe? Can you relate your language preference in accordance to Spore history and the outcome of this policy up to modern Singapore.

This will ensure that Sporeans know that the policy was faulty and that a substitute was available but not utilised but would prove to be more successful than the current policy.

doesn't have to confined to the ethic language. we could use asian languages as first language, (chinese for chinese, malay for malay, etc) and use english as 2nd language. to communicate with each and other races.

but right now, our language policy are snuffing the life out of asian languages, and on top of that OUR ENGLISH LANGUAGE SUCKS!

so what good is it this english as first language policy? it give us sucky spoken english, and snuff the life out of other asian language. ho tang meh? (profitable? is that so???) its LOSS! ITS NOT A GOOD DEAL MY FRIEND!

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
if english as first language is a good policy, then why do we need 'speak good english' campaign? because it fail my friend. it fail miserably even decades of english education.

why GCT and LHL have sucky spoken english? sucky spoken english bring this nation good reputation and money??? that give us an edge???

You're contradicting yourself. Chinese Singaporeans who speak good English, you accuse as selling-out. Chinese Singaporeans who speak bad English, you accuse as failure.

Anyway, there're many Chinese Singaporeans who speak both good English and good Chinese. And please, stop branding or hiding behind "Asian language" for your argument. Just say it out loud and proud, you're arguing for the Chinese language.

nanana1

Alfrescian
Loyal
doesn't have to confined to the ethic language. we could use asian languages as first language, (chinese for chinese, malay for malay, etc) and use english as 2nd language. to communicate with each and other races.

but right now, our language policy are snuffing the life out of asian languages, and on top of that OUR ENGLISH LANGUAGE SUCKS!

so what good is it this english as first language policy? it give us sucky spoken english, and snuff the life out of other asian language. ho tang meh? (profitable? is that so???) its LOSS! ITS NOT A GOOD DEAL MY FRIEND!

Wah....why your English beri good leh :wink: Can speak Hokkien some more, pro sia :biggrin:

Errr.....loss what, huh ?:confused:

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
wanna sell out one's language and culture? MAKE SURE ITS GOOD FUCKING PROFIT.

BUT SELL OUT ONE'S LANGUAGE AND CULTURE FOR IKAN BILIS PROFIT AND LOTS OF SIDEEFFECT AND HEADACHE??? WTF IS WRONG WITH SPOREANS? THE ENGLISH AS FIRST LANGUAGE IS NOT A GOOD DEAL!

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
You're contradicting yourself. Chinese Singaporeans who speak good English, you accuse as selling-out. Chinese Singaporeans who speak bad English, you accuse as failure.

Anyway, there're many Chinese Singaporeans who speak both good English and good Chinese. And please, stop branding or hiding behind "Asian language" for your argument. Just say it out loud and proud, you're arguing for the Chinese language.

yes there are exception. but overall singapore english sucks. thats why the speak good english campaign.