• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singapore Blue Chip Stocks performance

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
I just happened to check up on how some blue chip SG stocks are doing.

Singtel
SPH
Sembcorp Marine
Sembcorp
Keppel Corp
DBS
UOB
OCBC
Capitaland
SIA
SGX
SPH

It is quite surprising how poorly they are doing. Some are at the price levels during 2008 crisis. Many never move much from that price level.

So what have been the hot stocks in Singapore? Any? REITs?

Banks doing so so.

Not a good reflection of SG economy?

Byebye Penis

Alfrescian
Loyal
my quick takes:

Singtel - Need to propel prices a little higher and issue rights, cos they are haemorrhaging in India and losing local subscribers significantly.

SPH - Bailed out and restructuring underway. Lost a lot of money in properties overseas.

Sembcorp Marine - Investors got cheated a few times, after raising money, the funds used to help Keppel.

Sembcorp - Bailed out earlier by amputating Sembcorp Marine from it.

Keppel Corp - Worth $4 but likely issue rights soon as they are out of cash, so need to support current prices.

DBS - Overheads are too high and will lose money for a decade in India like Dao Heng.

UOB - Haha, their Chairman is a dent in share price. Lost their market share in local home loan market.

OCBC - Their HK division is bleeding, non-performing china loans not reflected in accounts yet.

Capitaland - Lost heavily overseas, restructured lately.

SIA - Shares too badly diluted. EPS is negligible when the company turns profitable in future. Eg. $1bn profit = EPS $0.50 in the past. Now $1bn profit = EPS $0.10.

SGX - Lost some businesses with FTSE. Management is very slack. Lack of regulatory controls cause investors to avoid local shares.

Last edited:

bart12

Alfrescian
Loyal
I just happened to check up on how some blue chip SG stocks are doing.

Singtel
SPH
Sembcorp Marine
Sembcorp
Keppel Corp
DBS
UOB
OCBC
Capitaland
SIA
SGX
SPH

It is quite surprising how poorly they are doing. Some are at the price levels during 2008 crisis. Many never move much from that price level.

So what have been the hot stocks in Singapore? Any? REITs?

Banks doing so so.

Not a good reflection of SG economy?
https://www.drwealth.com/why-investors-are-angry-with-singapore-blue-chips/

Blue chips are perceived as safer investments compared to other stocks.

Most investors feel more assured buying into these well-known companies and are less likely to expect bad things to happen.

Unfortunately, Singapore’s blue chips have been performing badly. Even holding long term couldn’t alleviate their poor performance.

This left many investors in Singapore blue chips frustrated, and even angry.

They were made to believe that blue chips were safe and it would be fine as long as they held these stocks long term.

Imagine losing -38% in Singtel, -59% in Keppel Corp and -61% in SIA, after holding them for the past 12 years!

These results are hard for anyone to swallow. It’s no wonder that investors are left feeling penalised. We cannot blame them for losing faith in the stock market (or just the Singapore stock market).

The Straits Times Index (STI) is essentially a basket of blue chip stocks in Singapore. The Index was revamped with the help of UK indexing company, FTSE, on 10 Jan 2008. This was in the midst of the Great Financial Crisis where the stock markets were crashing.

1630041499159.png

It doesn’t take a genius to see the STI has been trading in a horizontal range for the last 12 years.

But most investors probably didn’t buy the index. They probably picked and chose some blue chips instead. I would think that this might even be a worse option as many of the individual blue chips did really badly in the past 12 years.

I tracked the returns of the revamped STI components dated 10 Jan 2008 – prices are adjusted for corporate actions such as dividends.

1630041584122.png

20 out of 30 stocks had losses with an average of -42% over the 12 year period (or until some of the stocks were kicked out of the index)! It is likely to perform worse than an underperforming index.

8 stocks had gains with an average 40% returns over the past 12 years. The best performer was ThaiBev with 142%.

2 were delisted and I couldn’t even get their historical price data.

And not to forget Noble, which is currently suspended after inflating the investment value of its associated companies in Australia. Yes, a blue chip can turn out to be a fraud. Fraudulent companies are not limited to China.

Olam was also attacked by a short seller(Muddy Waters) until Temasek Holdings saved them from the ugly episode. However, Temasek couldn’t save it from being kicked out of the index as its performance waned.

The beauty of index investing is that the fund manager will replace the stocks that get kicked out of the index. But an investor is unlikely going to sell a stock just because it is no longer in the index. In the case of Olam, an investor would have lost 32% if he sold it in 2015 (the year Olam was kicked out). But if he would to hold Olam until today, he would have lost 55%.

11 of the STI components on 10 Jan 2008 were replaced. I believe many investors are still holding on to them till today. Here are their performances, most were worse off.

Very ugly numbers right?

But what is done is done.

If you happen to have suffered some of these losses, you have to learn and move on.

Why SG’s stock market has been underperforming

It has not been able to transform into the “new economy“.

The “new economy” consists largely of the technological companies while the old economy is mainly made up of finance and real estate companies.

Here’s a diagram I drew last month. I wanted to show the correlation between the index tech exposure and its returns – the higher the tech exposure, the higher the returns.

1630041640042.png

It is not surprising that STI has no tech exposure. Half of our index weight consists of the 3 banks (DBS, OCBC and UOB) and REITs make up a another big chuck of our index weightage.

This explains the poor performance, in my opinion.

That said, please don’t jump to the wrong conclusion. This trend doesn’t suggest that the solution is to just buy tech companies and hold them forever.

Rather, the main lesson is that:

The Markets are Always Changing

What’s trendy today may not be so in the future.

Case in point, Keppel Corp, Sembcorp Ind and Sembcorp were the drivers of stock market returns during the 2007 bull run. They made so much money that it is common to hear stories of employees receiving 6 months bonuses. Those were the good days.

These stocks were the hot favourites back then, and that was how many investors got sucked into them at the peak, and were left holding them till today. Even giants like ExxonMobil were not spared when the economy restructured.

SPH was a monopoly of the print media in Singapore. What could go wrong until it went wrong – Google and Facebook took away the lunch.

Singtel and Starhub were also darlings among investors, raking in recurring subscription fees with high retention rates. Until the government decided they have made too much and introduced competition which eroded the margins and dampened their share prices.

So I repeat again – the market changes. Indices change to reflect the changes in the economy and the markets. Not just the STI, even the S&P 500 has also gone through so much changes over the decades – companies come and go.

It is so hard to buy a stock that would grow over the decades because things change. Your investment views need to be updated and your portfolio need to change with times too.

Now tech stocks are all the rage because the market favours the narrative now.

Don’t just buy because their performances have been good, only to make the same mistakes with the oil and gas stocks in the past – buy high and see the prices drop when the narrative changes.

You need to have a well thought through investment thesis that is updated with times.

Change is the only constant.

Cliche? Doesn’t make it any less true.

Charles Darwin said, “it is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent; it is the one most adaptable to change.

As an investor, it’s also important to discern what is a temporary impact (which you should hold on to) versus a permanent change (which you should bail). It is hard to tell between the two at times.

Sounds like hard work?

Well as Charlie Munger said, “it’s not supposed to be easy. Anyone who finds it easy is stupid.

Attachments

• 1630041520294.png
    1630041520294.png
    64.1 KB · Views: 94

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
SGX = Familee-owned companies and shady (mostly Tiong) companies that would never get past the regulators and be listed in other stock exchanges.

Why do Sinkies even bother? :rolleyes:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Again I take this opportunity to recommend milford asset management. I reshuffled my finances and placed $690,000 in their balanced and diversified income funds in June 2021.

Here's how things have gone since :

Screen Shot 2021-08-27 at 5.27.53 PM.png

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Highly diversified and actively managed.

#NameCountry% of Portfolio
1.Contact Energy LtdNew Zealand2.03%
2.Telstra Corp LtdAustralia1.42%
3.Spark New Zealand LtdNew Zealand1.38%
4.Fisher & Paykel Healthcare Corp LtdNew Zealand1.24%
5.Meridian Energy LtdNew Zealand1.20%
6.Scentre Group Trust 2 5.12%Australia1.05%
7.National Australia Bank LtdAustralia1.02%
8.Westpac Banking CorpAustralia0.90%
9.Mainfreight LtdNew Zealand0.89%
10.Goodman GroupAustralia0.87%
11.Virgin Money UK PLC Shs Chess Depository Interests Repr 1 ShsUnited Kingdom0.85%
12.HCA Healthcare IncUnited States0.83%
13.Alphabet Inc Class CUnited States0.82%
14.Microsoft CorpUnited States0.81%
15.Charter Hall Retail REITAustralia0.78%
16.Transurban GroupAustralia0.76%
17.Summerset Group Holdings LtdNew Zealand0.76%
18.Atlas Arteria LtdAustralia0.73%
19.Infratil LtdNew Zealand0.72%
20.Anthem IncUnited States0.71%
21.Ebos Group LtdNew Zealand0.66%
22.Santos LtdAustralia0.65%
23.Sydney AirportAustralia0.65%
24.Aena SME SASpain0.62%
25.D.R. Horton IncUnited States0.58%
26.Charter Hall GroupAustralia0.56%
27.CSX CorpUnited States0.56%
28.Thermo Fisher Scientific IncUnited States0.55%
29.Martin Marietta Materials Inc 3.2%United States0.55%
30.Getlink SEFrance0.54%
31.CSL LtdAustralia0.53%
32.Australia and New Zealand Banking Group LtdAustralia0.51%
33.Mirvac Group Finance Limited 3.62%Australia0.50%
34.Kiwi Property Group LtdNew Zealand0.50%
35.Wesfarmers Ltd 1.94%Australia0.50%
36.Woolworths Group LtdAustralia0.50%
37.T-Mobile USA, Inc. 3.38%United States0.49%
38.American Water Works Co IncUnited States0.48%
39.Charter Hall Long WALE REIT Stapled Secs Cons of 1 DIF + 1 FSPT + 1 FinanceAustralia0.48%
40.Apple IncUnited States0.48%
41.Shopping Centres Australasia Property GroupAustralia0.47%
42.ASB Bank Limited 5.25%New Zealand0.47%
43.Danaher CorpUnited States0.47%
44.Mirvac GroupAustralia0.45%
45.BHP Group PLCUnited Kingdom0.44%
46.Precinct Properties New Zealand LtdNew Zealand0.43%
47.Amazon.com IncUnited States0.43%
48.Aventus Capital Ltd 24/01/25Australia0.42%
49.HCA Inc. 5.88%United States0.42%
50.Coles Group LtdAustralia0.42%
51.Barclays PLCUnited Kingdom0.41%
52.Visa Inc Class AUnited States0.41%
53.HomeCo Daily Needs REIT UnitsAustralia0.41%
54.CNH Industrial NVUnited Kingdom0.41%
55.Intuit IncUnited States0.40%
56.Evolution Mining LtdAustralia0.39%
57.Westpac Banking Corporation 4.7%Australia0.38%
58.LVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton SEFrance0.38%
59.Telefonaktiebolaget LM Ericsson (publ) 1%Sweden0.38%
60.Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co Ltd ADRTaiwan0.38%
61.Fletcher Building LtdNew Zealand0.38%
62.TransUnionUnited States0.37%
63.Intercontinental Exchange IncUnited States0.37%
64.S&P Global IncUnited States0.37%
65.AusNet Services Holdings Pty LtdAustralia0.37%
66.Mastercard Inc Class AUnited States0.37%
67.PayPal Holdings IncUnited States0.37%
68.New Zealand Local Government Funding Agency Ltd 1.5%New Zealand0.36%
69.Collins Foods LtdAustralia0.36%
70.Aon PLCUnited States0.36%
71.Victoria Power Networks (Finance) Pty Ltd 1.6%Australia0.36%
72.Arena REITAustralia0.36%
73.Westpac New Zealand Limited 5%Australia0.36%
74.Vodafone Group plc 6.25%United Kingdom0.36%
75.Santos Finance Limited 5.25%Australia0.35%
76.Nintendo Co LtdJapan0.35%
77.Ardagh Packaging Finance plc / Ardagh Holdings USA Inc. 4.12%Ireland0.35%
78.Aventus Retail Property FundAustralia0.35%
79.Charter Hall Social Infrastructure REITAustralia0.34%
80.ASML Holding NVNetherlands0.34%
81.Norfolk Southern CorpUnited States0.34%
82.JPMorgan Chase & Co. 1.09%United States0.33%
83.Lend Lease (US) Capital, Inc. 4.5%Australia0.33%
84.Commonwealth Bank of AustraliaAustralia0.33%
85.BHP Group LtdAustralia0.33%
86.Ball Corporation 1.5%United States0.33%
87.ASB Bank Limited 1.65%New Zealand0.33%
88.Costco Wholesale CorpUnited States0.32%
89.Vertical Midco GmbH 4.38%Germany0.32%
90.HDFC Bank Ltd ADRIndia0.32%
91.The Home Depot IncUnited States0.32%
92.Seven Group Holdings LtdAustralia0.32%
93.Vodafone Group plc 3%United Kingdom0.31%
94.AMETEK IncUnited States0.31%
95.The Estee Lauder Companies Inc Class AUnited States0.31%
96.NatWest Group plc 3.62%United Kingdom0.31%
97.Ryman Healthcare LtdNew Zealand0.31%
98.Investore Property LtdNew Zealand0.31%
99.Martin Marietta Materials IncUnited States0.30%
100.Ampol LtdAustralia0.30%

Byebye Penis

Alfrescian
Loyal
I miss those days when an annual fixed deposit yielded 5-6% interest. :biggrin:

Once upon a time, HDB loans were subsidized because they were priced lower than bank loans.
Now bank home loans are cheaper than HDB loans. HDB laughing all the way to the bank.

Last edited:

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
Many will say playing the US Markets is more exciting and profitable, but my opinion is it takes a brave heart to do so as you can win big but can also lose big as their daily trading price range is very volatile. Also, prices of their Blue Chips are very high to begin with. Take for example: APPLE at US$147.54, FACEBOOK at US$364.38, MICROSOFT at US$299.09, NETFLIX at US$550.12, AMAT at US$132.49, ASML at US$810.94, etc. And I don't go for CFDs and leveragings because these are even more volatile.

To buy 1 lot (1,000 shares) of AMAT will need a capital of US$132,490. Even if it goes up by US$1 within a trading day, one can only make US$1,000 excluding commissions, taxes and foreign exchange fluctuations. On the other hand, if I buy 100 lots (which I usually do on the local bourse) of say UMS (the indirect proxy of AMAT) for S$169,000, every upward movement of just S$0.01 can make me S$1,000 excluding commissions and taxes, but no foreign exchange risks. So, I'll still prefer to trade locally although I have to admit that it can be quite boring at times. So far since May 2020, I have already made a net S$87,854.41 from trading in the local bourse, which is not very exciting to be exact.

Last edited:

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You may wish to consider the following, in the USA:
AAPL Apple
AMZN Amazon
CVS CVS Health
EXAS Exact Sciences
GKOS Glaukos
JCI Johnson Controls
MRK Merck
MRVL Marvel Techonology
MSFT Microsoft
PRFT Perficient
ZEN Zendesk
BCE on the Toronto Stock Exchange ("TSX")
ENB on TSX
RY on TSX
TD on TSX

edited on August 27, 2021, twice

Last edited:

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You may wish to consider the following, in the USA:
AAPL Apple
AMZN Amazon
CVS
JCI
MRK
MRVL
MSFT Microsoft
PRFT
ZEN
BCE on the Toronto Stock Exchange ("TSX")
ENB on TSX
RY on TSX
TD on TSX

edited on August 27, 2021
Edited on August 27, 2021, Toronto time 1105 hours

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
if you followed my advice over 6.9 years ago in july 2013 (and bought 3.69k shares of fb), you would have been a millionaire today by sitting on them and without doing anything the last 6.9 years. i also posted about fb going up to $180s in 2018 from $30s in 2013. 6.9k shares in 2013 would have made you a millionaire in 2018, and now a multi-millionaire. can’t believe it actually doubles in value the last 3 years. this i didn’t expect back then, but with the ig and whatsapp acquisition it makes sense now. i also recommended tsla back then when it was below $100 at $96.9 and somewhere along the way nvda too. how time flies.
https://www.sammyboy.com/threads/facebook-shares-soar.158093/
https://www.sammyboy.com/threads/pl...r-facebooks-usd-104-billion-ipo.117637/page-4
https://www.sammyboy.com/threads/my-tip-of-2018-for-fellow-forummers-to-make-some-money.251295/

Last edited:

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
if you followed my advice over 6.9 years ago in july 2013 (and bought 3.69k shares of fb), you would have been a millionaire today by sitting on them and without doing anything the last 6.9 years. i also recommended tsla back then when it was below $100 at $96.9. how time flies.
https://www.sammyboy.com/threads/facebook-shares-soar.158093/
https://www.sammyboy.com/threads/pl...r-facebooks-usd-104-billion-ipo.117637/page-4
I was unaware.
Years ago, our children also suggested that I should invest in Apple, Amazon, Nvdia, Microsoft, and a few others.
If I followed on it, if would have built a huge retirement fund.
Hopefully, our very young adult children will do what they suggested to me.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I was unaware.
Years ago, our children also suggested that I should invest in Apple, Amazon, Nvdia, Microsoft, and a few others.
If I followed on it, if would have built a huge retirement fund.
Hopefully, our very young adult children will do what they suggested to me.
if you followed their advice 6.9 years ago, it would have been doable with less and limited funds. but now, those stocks are too sexpensive and beyond the means of most here. at this time, can still look into startups with tremendous promise and product portfolios. these are the new cummers with low valuations today in 2-digit cost per share but may soar to 3 digits the next 6.9 years. use 6.9 years as duration to gage their performance and valuations. you can’t miss this thread. they’re stock tits, oops tips, for auntie (vir)gin.
https://www.sammyboy.com/threads/stock-tip-during-cb.285500/

Last edited: