• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

SG Taxi Uncle Debunks Expatriate David Fedo

thinkorsink

Alfrescian
Loyal
there are many down to earth pmets, but due to unfortunate circumstances, have to be sidelined due to cheaper hiring costs of the foreigners.

Listen up, and listen good. Useful and productive Singaporeans still have jobs. Useful Angmos we take. So-called PMETs with an inflated sense of self-worth, employers don't need.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
there are many down to earth pmets, but due to unfortunate circumstances, have to be sidelined due to cheaper hiring costs of the foreigners.

These dumbass PMETs should have made hay while the sun was shining from 1976 to 1996.

If someone cannot become financially independent after 2 decades of fantastic growth and opportunities galore, they deserve to be driving taxis today.

thinkorsink

Alfrescian
Loyal
boss sam...it's just difficult to control spending when you got money, it's just like when you first receive your credit card, chances are that you will want to use it for spending. tell me how many will refrain from mspending when they first got money in hand. probably, those who set aside money for investment are those who sought advice from their seniors.:smile:

These dumbass PMETs should have made hay while the sun was shining from 1976 to 1996.

If someone cannot become financially independent after 2 decades of fantastic growth and opportunities galore, they deserve to be driving taxis today.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
boss sam...it's just difficult to control spending when you got money, it's just like when you first receive your credit card, chances are that you will want to use it for spending. tell me how many will refrain from mspending when they first got money in hand. probably, those who set aside money for investment are those who sought advice from their seniors.:smile:

I got my first credit card in 1979. I threw away all my credit cards in 1983.

jw5

Loyal

Hi there

1. Hehehe, don't bluff, in 1979, you were not even 20 years old.

2. So how do you settle your hotel bills when you travel?

Received_by_Kings

Alfrescian
Loyal
You're a local, you're a loser.

Don't blame the government and foreigners for your failings in life.

[h=2]A native Singaporean replies to expatriate David Fedo[/h]Posted by temasektimes on August 4, 2012

Dear Mr Fedo,

There is only one simple and obvious reason why a guy like myself (a born-and bred Singaporean ) is so dissatisfied with this sad country which you heap so much glorious praises on!

I am a 50yr old exPMET, overseas grad with over 20 yrs work exp as a admin manager, hr exec, worked in finance and was even a business entrepreneur at one time. Yes, I believe my work experience and resume is pretty impressive, yet I had been jobless for the past few years since 2008, unable even to land a clerical job or an entry position (with starting pay of some S$1,200 basic pay) in the IRs.

In the end, after countless heartwrenching job rejections, failed interviews and job applications, I figured that the only avail jobs for us older Singaporeans like mnyself was to work as a security guard or become a taxidriver.

I now drive taxi , working some 12-15 hr shifts on weekends , even work thru days when I am down with the flu so as to earn a livelihood. Alas, there were many passengers like yourself sitting my taxi, all living in high-end condos, dining in posh and expensive restaurants, partying at the various clubs and shopping in the ultra-modern malls lined up in our beautiful Orchard Rd. I see many “foreign talents” in my taxi, like yourself, many who are younger,probably educated with degrees too from their home countries, all having a “great time” in Singapore, enjoying our wonderful city and infrastructure!

But oh how I envy them, bec sadly I am born here, suffering a sort of ‘reverse discrimination’ as a local, as I cannot obtain any decent job that is commesurate with my experience and qualification and perhaps too bec. of age. However, from your pic above, I fancy you too are about the same age as me . How is it that you get to taste “the good life” of an expat here when I, a local, have to work some 72hrs relentlessly every week, just to survive???

Mr David Fedo, can you please tell me what is wrong with this picture?? Would you be happy if you were in my shoes? Wouldnt you blame the govt too if you had to suffer such indignation in the latter part of your life and work in a subservient job, facing expats and fts like yourself each day, yet knowing that you wld have killed to get a job for a quarter of their salary? Would you still say and beleive that your beloved Singapore had “got it right?”

In my 18 months experience as a taxidriver, I can tell you that I have seen more expats and foreigners who work here, having it good, yet I doubt whether many, if not all, have better work or academic qualifications as myself. So how not to feel bitter? How do I still support an “uncaring government” who forgotten me and cast me aside to fend for myself, when others like yourself, come to this country and reap the benefits , leaving us in the cold to suffer every day????

I can tell you , I know you are not the only one singing praises abt Singapore. I had so many conversations with expats in my taxi and practically everyone heap praises abt Singapore. Yet all of them live in, at the minimum, a condo, so having enough renumeration to afford to rent one.

Hope you understand how we “locals” feel about our heritage, our government who dosen’;t provide for us, and why we don’t feel so appreciative like yourslef to be living in this “great City” who you so-called “gets more things right”!!

TAXI UNCLE
*The above was first posted as a comment on The Temasek Times.

jw5

Loyal
When I was on holiday, I used travellers' cheques.

On business, I used my company credit card.

Boss sam, so u didn't really throw away ALL your credit cards, and u didn't respond to my point#1, hehehe.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Boss sam, so u didn't really throw away ALL your credit cards, and u didn't respond to my point#1, hehehe.

The company credit card wasn't mine to throw away in the first place. Personal expenses couldn't be charged to the card. It was strictly for business expenses.

As for point #1 I was actually 19 not 20.

jw5

Loyal
The company credit card wasn't mine to throw away in the first place. Personal expenses couldn't be charged to the card. It was strictly for business expenses.

Cannot be lah boss, that would make you 52 this year, which you are not lah, hehehe.
You are younger than that lah boss.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Credit cards are necessary if you want to rent a car, book hotels, buy from Amazon, ... They are a convenience & as long as you pay the bills on time, there is really no cost to using them except to the banks:smile:

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
Exactly, Sam. Those fucking losers have only themselves to blame for their fucking sorry state.

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not if you pay when billed. I use credit cards as my accounting system.

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
Read my lips. I have *NEVER* repeat *NEVER* rolled over my credit card balance. When it was fucking two months' worth or now when it's ten-months' worth (I know losers will tell me it's not possible to get more than two-months' credit limit).

besotted

Alfrescian
Loyal
I ever had a customer whose SIXTH credit card cleared for a $80 meal. She maxed out the other 5

Most young people just sign and fuck care the future, American style consumer

That's why we need to have more sane, well-rounded PRC talent to have a good economic future

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
his plight has nothing to do with kissing ass and getting ahead in the corporate world, but has everything to do with how he does his planning in his prime and charting a course for the future in accumulating wealth for retirement. sadly, sinkies are lacking in this mindset. the prevailing mindset among sinkie pmet's, for the last 4 decades and the present (pathetic that it hasn't change), is to keep up with the yong's and live the material high life in their tiny comfort zone. only when foreigners start taking their jobs away, they get older, skills get outdated, savings depleted, that they wake up and press the panic button. if they are truly gifted and talented pmet's with great planning vision, they could have seen that coming when they first landed a corporate job in their twenties. no excuses. as an employer, i'm not gonna hire someone who can't figure out a decent roadmap for his life and old age. if he can't handle himself well, how can he take care of company and business issues?

my family business in sg has a succession problem. we can't find any promising relatives in the younger generation to take over. :eek: i'm going back this year to help select and appoint the successor, and if heshe's a foreigner, so be it.

100% agree with you .

singaporean should plan for their future instead of siting in their comfort zone .

20s - 35 year old ....work for ppl to gain experience and to save money

35 year old to 55 year old ...start up a biz

55 year old ..retired and enjoy life :wink:

besotted

Alfrescian
Loyal
There are many not so highly educated but smart people who are financially free thanks to ability to plan ahead

On the other hand there are many new grads from NUS, NTU and SMU who have degrees but are dumb

Maybe they got their degree by sleeping with the professor like that law grad

They are too egoistic, they won't concede that beyond that piece of paper they know shit

So they blame everyone but themselves

bryanlim1972

Alfrescian
Loyal
these sinkie morons are hopeless. in good times, sinkies ignore opportunities abroad and pak si buay chau stay behind to make more money to spend beyond their means. with all the earning power and asset enhancements, these same losers continue to live the high life from paycheck to paycheck, without any thought for early retirement at 45. even semi-retirement in the 40s is a strange concept. now over 50 and expecting high paying jobs to be perpetually available as though the gov owes them one, he must be fecking dreaming all his life. these loser sinkies need to look themselves in the mirror and blame themselves for not planning intelligently for the future and cashing out when times are good. the fault lies solely with these morons who are given opportunities in their prime to amass wealth, yet they blew it.

the stereotypical picture you painted in probably 90% accurate. but regardless, these 90% disgruntled ah peks, are going to vote for an increasingly populist opposition. and all the hardwork of the PAP will go down the drain.

based on current PAP policies, we should end up back in the 1870s kampung state by the turn of the century. with luck, the seas will reclaim the reclaimed land the beach will be restored to tanjong katong.