• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

SERIOUS Discussion On Soccer Betting...................

talkincock

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
if he said home team win or draw, we shall bet away win.

if he said 0 goals, we shall bet 6 goals and above. :biggrin:

Err.. total goals depends because it will be affected after players are sold / bought.

For example..

FC Porto goals were significantly reduced after one of their star striker Falcao were sold to Atletico Madrid and thus leaving the task to HULK and other team members.

Bayern Munich would have conceded goals with the no. 2 keeper had they not bought over Germany's no. 1 goal keeper Manuel Neuer. And with Neuer keeping a clean sheet means that their players have to score more goals.

:biggrin:

Last edited:

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
anyone had bought soccer tips from the internet? those tips zhun bo? some websites have no win, money back guarantee policy. if the tips so zhun, why they still bother selling the tips? :confused::biggrin:

5whcqxhq

Alfrescian
Loyal
Has anyone here get down to using the Poisson distribution to model football results. This has been research in this area by Maher (1982) and Dixon (1997). Implemented both in excel, but not sure if I had model the correlation factor for the bivariate poisson model between home and away correctly. Using the model to recognize value bet and coupled with Kelly criterion on staking may well be profitable for the discipline punter.

Had proved useful in a sense, made bets on tottenham vs live pool, blackburn vs arsenal, young lions and etoile and won on Asian handicap.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Has anyone here get down to using the Poisson distribution to model football results. This has been research in this area by Maher (1982) and Dixon (1997). Implemented both in excel, but not sure if I had model the correlation factor for the bivariate poisson model between home and away correctly. Using the model to recognize value bet and coupled with Kelly criterion on staking may well be profitable for the discipline punter.

Had proved useful in a sense, made bets on tottenham vs live pool, blackburn vs arsenal, young lions and etoile and won on Asian handicap.

Can share how you did it?

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Making a living out of soccer betting??? :eek:

Even analysis can't help you much.

Team form (Home / Away)
Form of individual player.
How good the coach is.
Early red card changes the game play.
Two leg matches. (After winning 1st leg 6 - 0, they can afford to draw / lose by small margin the 2nd leg or field 2nd stringers.)
Injuries.
Luck.
And of course kelong. :biggrin:

Last edited:

5whcqxhq

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can share how you did it?

More from Maher paper, here http://img.90minut.pl/misc/maher.pdf

Basically a Poisson distribution model for scores will be adopted. In particular, if team i is playing at home against team j and the observed score is (x, y), we shall assume that X, is Poisson with mean a, that Y, is also Poisson with mean b.

a and b is relative to the strength of the teams and calculated from goals scored & conceded. Hence different team will have diffferent mean, which can be derive by maximum likelihood estimate (MLE).

The takeaway for this model is the probability of the match outcome i,e 1 X 2. which can then be used as a basis for identifying value bet, i.e. suppose team 1 has a 50% chance of winning, then value bet will be odds over 2.00.

5whcqxhq

Alfrescian
Loyal
S-League tomorrow

SAF vs Tampines.

SAF seems the better bet. Below is an estimate of the probability.Just take note that the line for SAF is above Tampines.
SAF.png

Implementing another model, power rating reveal a rating 0.75 in favour of SAF win too. Statistics wise, with a rating of 0.5 & above, the model has a success probability of 72%, i.e. 78 out of 108. for S league 2011

I think Bet365 currently offer SAF (Draw No Bet, essentially AH(0)) @ 1.72 and 1X @ 1.40 which are fair odds.Worth a small punt.

Likewise, for the Balestier - Gombak match, Gombak should edge it.
Gombak.png

Power rating is 0.93 in favour of Gombak. Likely a win or draw for Gombak here. Worth a punt if odds are good.

Just sharing here. Good night and good luck if you are going to punt.