• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Roommate troubles in Singapore. What are my options?

crimemastergogo

I have been under a lot of stress due to an impending decision on one of the apartments, I've rented in Singapore.

I moved to Singapore in September last year and had been looking for an apartment then. I posted an advertisement on Facebook that I had been looking for a roommate to share the apartment with me and it generated interest from another foreigner (I'm a foreigner in Singapore as well). Everything went well and within a week of our meeting up(this was around mid-October last year), we decided to rent out an apartment in the Marina Bay area (an otherwise expensive condo, but we seemingly got ourselves a good deal then.) and we leased it for 2 years. We then split up the rents according to the rooms and utilities equally. SP Services (Water & Gas) were on his name and Broadband on mine.

As it turns out, 3 months(ca. Feb this year) later my roommate got married to a Singaporean woman, and he started living with her essentially for free at her apartments. Then, we had a verbal feud over the use of furniture and the utilities bill (I asked him not to split the utilities Security Deposit because he will get it back at the end to which he threatened that he will not able to continue living with me any further). He stopped living in our apartment and went to a local law agency which sent me a letter for negotiation on terminating the lease, he further sent a letter to the landlady asking her to terminate the lease. Our landlady is an aged foreigner (living in HK) and she has not replied to the letter yet.

Now, as it happens, he started sending frustratingly vicious emails to the landlady (cc-ing me) telling her that I had kept the rooms in an uninhabitable condition and keeping stolen carts in the house. (About the shopping carts, I had borrowed the cart from Cold Storage which was returned the next day, he showed up at the house then with his wife and took pictures of it, I had no idea that he was going to write so viciously about it). I then replied to him that I will make a Criminal Case against him under Section 499. He then stopped writing these emails. I didn't touch base with him either since then.

Around the end of March, I received an email from his lawyer stating his intentions to terminate the lease and that he will continue paying the monthly rent as a gesture of goodwill. His lawyer asked for my comments and I replied that I would like the lease to continue. I then changed the door lock security code (Our door lock opens with a code instead of the ordinary key and socket system) around the first week of April (I'd periodically change the door lock) and as it turned out, my roommate tried to enter the house and couldn't because he didn't have the new key. He and I didn't have any communication at all about the key code whatsoever.

I then received a letter in my mailbox, dated 10th April 2019, stating "Denial Of Access to Premises" from his lawyer stating that he tried to enter the apartments and he could not because the key code had been changed. The letter gave until the 17th of April, 2019 to provide the new key code to him. I opened the mailbox on 18th April and just as soon as I read the mail, I provided him with the new keycode.

Mow that he has been communicating through his lawyers and I haven’t signed up a lawyer, I'm super confused about what to do. What I know is that his lawsuit (if ever) will be frivolous in the courts of Singapore but that may blow up a lot of my personal savings into legal fees etc. Please advise.

Last edited:

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
a lot of argument can be resolved by changing tone and talking nicely. have you tried that unless he is out to take you on.

TerrexLee

Alfrescian
Loyal
you renting an apartment or renting out an apartment?

I feel damn stressed reading your long winded story.

jw5

Loyal
Please do not push the shopping carts to your rented apartment, not even for one day. :rolleyes:

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What is the nationality and ethnicity of the two guys?

Can 'borrow' shopping card from the supermarket? I don't know leh.

no_faith

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Dont understand if cant afford then no need die die to rent mbs apartment 打肿脸充胖子
If you choose not to rent mbs, you can rent a apartment living alone:biggrin:

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
My stories all add up you also don’t believe because the problem lies with you. Not others.
Any fact that’s able to withstand scrutiny by police court medical means add up. Anything else is ccb people with ccb mouth and dirty hand stealing and slandering me.