• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Rnouncing Singapore citizenship

exSINgaporean

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Guys:

I became an Australian citizen sometime at the end of last month. I would like to surrender my Singpore citizenship when I get back to Sydney sometime in August this year when my contract in Singapore finishes. The Singapore High Commision in Oz is located in Canberra and its about close to 300km from where I am in Sydney, however I don't mind driving there if necessary. But I'm just curious about one thing. I was told that I could send the Singapore passport and IC by post but would it be a good idea? Would it be better to go there personally? Its just that I don't want a situation where I send the contents by post and the Sinkee High Commission act blur and say they never receive anything. Are there any other procedures to follow such as filling up other forms etc? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Don't worry.

I did it buy mailing (registered) to them 18 years ago and last year my 21 year-old daughter did the same.

There were no such problem as you anticapte. You just waste your time and energy driving 300 km to the Singapore High Commission and worse you see the same fuck face of those "loyal Singaporeans" there in the High Commission. They would not give you a fanfare to welcome you or cry that you give up your Singaporean citizenship. Ayah use your time to go fishing better lah.

However, if you want you might what I did for my daughter: I email to the Singapore Immigration dept and then corresponded with a assistant supervisor. I acted blur and requested for her to lead me along the renounciation proceedure for my daughter.

She told me all the documents required and needed a lawyer to notorize. Then she also offered to allow me to send direct to her so that she can personnally handle the case. The whole process took us about 1 1/2 months...sending to her and receiving the confirmation that my daughter ceased to be Singapore citizenship.

Good luck.

Satan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't worry.

I did it buy mailing (registered) to them 18 years ago and last year my 21 year-old daughter did the same.

There were no such problem as you anticapte. You just waste your time and energy driving 300 km to the Singapore High Commission and worse you see the same fuck face of those "loyal Singaporeans" there in the High Commission. They would not give you a fanfare to welcome you or cry that you give up your Singaporean citizenship. Ayah use your time to go fishing better lah.

However, if you want you might what I did for my daughter: I email to the Singapore Immigration dept and then corresponded with a assistant supervisor. I acted blur and requested for her to lead me along the renounciation proceedure for my daughter.

She told me all the documents required and needed a lawyer to notorize. Then she also offered to allow me to send direct to her so that she can personnally handle the case. The whole process took us about 1 1/2 months...sending to her and receiving the confirmation that my daughter ceased to be Singapore citizenship.

Good luck.

Thanks. I guess registered post might be a good idea after all.

exSINgaporean

Alfrescian
Loyal
Normally takes about 6-8 weeks for ICA to process renunciation applications if all the documents have been properly filled, notarised etc. Your return mail address is most important for their reply to reach you.

Sending straight to ICA via courier mail is much better and faster than sending it through the scenic route (High Com in Australia).

Once your International Bank draft has been cleared it would indicate that the ICA has received your application and should be processing your application.

ICA would not inform CPF on your behalf. You have to inform the CPF yourself with the letter from the ICA that you have ceased to be a SG citizen. Your CPF funds could be transferred electronically to a SG bank account (10 days) or a International Bank Draft in a currency you prefer and posted to your overseas address (takes longer than 10 days). I don't think CPF would TT your CPF internationally.

Very good point.

Agree 100%....use registered post and they will send the letter of renounciantion in registed post to yous as well.

When you go to a bank make sue you go to one whihc can write the FULL name of the ICA in the bankdraft ... I got mine in CIBC Canada as the Royal Bank does not have the space for the full name.

Good luck!

chewed

Alfrescian
Loyal
Your points are valid, which begs the question. \Why is the Singapore government not allowing dual citizenship, especially when allowing this will in fact benefit them, especially where they can pevent Sinkees from withdrawing their CPF.

1 word: EGO!

kiwibird7

Alfrescian
Loyal
Your points are valid, which begs the question. \Why is the Singapore government not allowing dual citizenship, especially when allowing this will in fact benefit them, especially where they can pevent Sinkees from withdrawing their CPF.

The reasons I can think why the PAP govt refuses to officially allow dual citizenship is because they have a a very VINDICTIVE and ENVIOUS mentality.

A Singaporean emigrant who takes up foreign citizenship would enjoy all privileges accorded in their new country and the PAP wishes to 'punish' them by forcing them to choose which to surrender or at the very least create a climate of fear of 'illicit' dual citizenship with the "UNCLEAR" laws and guidelines over dual citizenship.

Where 'illicit dual citizenship' is concerned; any ex Singaporean making a false Statutory declaration on their dis-embarkation card on arrival in Singapore or are renewing their SG passport while having a foreign passport can and may get into trouble. The ball is in the ICA's court to 'punish' what GCT call 'QUITTERS'.

chewed

Alfrescian
Loyal
The reasons I can think why the PAP govt refuses to officially allow dual citizenship is because they have a a very VINDICTIVE and ENVIOUS mentality.

A Singaporean emigrant who takes up foreign citizenship would enjoy all privileges accorded in their new country and the PAP wishes to 'punish' them by forcing them to choose which to surrender or at the very least create a climate of fear of 'illicit' dual citizenship with the "UNCLEAR" laws and guidelines over dual citizenship.

Where 'illicit dual citizenship' is concerned; any ex Singaporean making a false Statutory declaration on their dis-embarkation card on arrival in Singapore or are renewing their SG passport while having a foreign passport can and may get into trouble. The ball is in the ICA's court to 'punish' what GCT call 'QUITTERS'.

so the question is: Who wants to be the guinea pig..??

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
so the question is: Who wants to be the guinea pig..??

Interesting question, if SG govt decide to "persecute" people with dual citizenship what sort of "punishment" would that be? Looking at the Stern Hu's case recently, if its too overt, would the Australian government come out and assist you?