• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

remember these places ?

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
Re: Where Is It ?

yes thats the one bro.....about 3 years ago i accompanied a friend into the existing premises.....my friend was meeting up with some guy from a solar

water heater company who had his office there. Even at half size as you say and neglected it looked quite nice. It must have lived up to its name

during its heyday.

The building along Still Road that you referring to was Grand Hotel. Cut into two by development of modern Still Road.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

To appreciate the Beatles, you have to hear out entire albums, not just the singles radio hits. With Sgt, Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band album, Lennon and McCartney redefined art and concept of music album that would never be the same riff-raff random collection of songs again. Creatively imaginative and innovative songs like Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds and A Day In The Life, nobody else could have composed and performed. John Lennon probably invented heavy metal with Yer Blues (The Beatles "white album") and I Want You (She's So Heavy) (Abbey Road album) that inspired and rocketed Led Zeppelin.

The Beatles were the greatest because by some quirk of fate, they had the world's top two singer-songwriters in the same band, John and Paul. George and Ringo were first rate too and could have led their own bands successfully but they were in the Beatles too. How not be the best band in world like that? Other bands in the same league but lower rungs were Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Eagles and Fleetwood Mac.

Last edited:

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C

some would argue your points Ram....but they are reasonable enough to me cos i like the Beatles too.

The Beatles were the greatest because by some quirk of fate, they had the world's top two singer-songwriters in the same band, John and Paul. George and Ringo were first rate too and could have led their own bands successfully but they were in the Beatles too. How not be the best band in world like that? Other bands in the same league but lower rungs were Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Eagles and Fleetwood Mac.

KuanTi01

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Not Wisma Atria. Hai Yan was opposite old Orchard Cinema (now Orchard Cineplex). Somewhere where the California Fitness Centre is now.

Bro I was referring to Wisma Atria (pre-development) meaning the predecessor of the present-day complex. Obviously as a kid, I remembered the old Wisma was a much smaller and modest structure.Tks for the clarification anyway!:biggrin:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bro I was referring to Wisma Atria (pre-development) meaning the predecessor of the present-day complex. Obviously as a kid, I remembered the old Wisma was a much smaller and modest structure.Tks for the clarification anyway!:biggrin:

It's alright bro, we're all just reminiscing. :wink:

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ramseth said:
Old Kallang Airport was really at Kallang just before crossing Nicoll Highway to Kallang Stadium. The runway led from Kallang Road to Nicoll Highway where the control tower was. It was taken over by People's Association when the airport was shifted over to Paya Lebar. That wasn't intended to be a permanent new airport, just interim as Changi was being developed and Kallang was already too small and too built up that caused aviation dangers.

I don't pretend to remember anything about the grass airfield before its replacement with paved runway. The runway, if I remember correctly, followed the path of what used to be the straight road from KFC and McDonald's all the way to Leisure Dome and the old Oasis. The area now occupied by Nichol Highway, next to the Control Tower (the old PA), was the apron area for planes to park.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I don't pretend to remember anything about the grass airfield before its replacement with paved runway. The runway, if I remember correctly, followed the path of what used to be the straight road from KFC and McDonald's all the way to Leisure Dome and the old Oasis. The area now occupied by Nichol Highway, next to the Control Tower (the old PA), was the apron area for planes to park.

Me too, old memory, but IIRC there were two runways for landing and taking off queues. One from Kallang Road (old Firestone tyre factory) leading to Control Tower (old PA) and the other from Mountbatten Road leading to Control Tower. A&W, KFC, Leisure Dome, National Stadium etc. were built after the airport was shifted to Paya Lebar. Those days, Nicholl Highway was known as Merdeka Bridge and across to Kallang Park proper was known as Labour Garden.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Old Kallang

Yah, I think I know where it is now. That means it is quite near to the old defunct stadium.
Wonderland occupied what is now the indoor football pitches are at now. i always hang out to play billards there while waiting for the results of malaysia cup matches

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
History Of Old Kallang Airport

3920028404_cf55985c14.jpg

Old Kallang Airport was really at Kallang just before crossing Nicoll Highway to Kallang Stadium. The runway led from Kallang Road to Nicoll Highway where the control tower was. It was taken over by People's Association when the airport was shifted over to Paya Lebar. That wasn't intended to be a permanent new airport, just interim as Changi was being developed and Kallang was already too small and too built up that caused aviation dangers.

0612.jpg

Evacuation_of_British_POWs,_Kallang_Airport,_Singapore_-_19450908.jpg
paya-lebar-airport-1969-300x213.jpg

Kallang_Airport_and_Basin_area_1945.jpg

3919768665_a356fd1a01.jpg

RAF_Liberator_aircraft_at_Kallang_Airport,_Singapore_-_194509.jpg

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Kallang Ice World

Kallang bowl....yes remembered it well.
Was the only double storey bowling alley I think.
Bowling was popular back then, Jackie's bowl (katong and orchard)...plaza bowl....kim seng bowl.
Ice skating rink only can recall the one in yaohan jurong.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Bowling was popular back then, Jackie's bowl (katong and orchard)...plaza bowl....kim seng bowl.

Plaza Bowl's our schoolmates' favorite for a few rounds after school. We never really played at Jackie's @ Orchard, too pro for us to malu ourselves, but we liked to hang around there to watch when we went jalan-jalan Orchard, especially when waiting for a movie to start.

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Does anyone remember the bowling alley at Peace Centre?

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

To appreciate the Beatles, you have to hear out entire albums, not just the singles radio hits. With Sgt, Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band album, Lennon and McCartney redefined art and concept of music album that would never be the same riff-raff random collection of songs again. Creatively imaginative and innovative songs like Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds and A Day In The Life, nobody else could have composed and performed. John Lennon probably invented heavy metal with Yer Blues (The Beatles "white album") and I Want You (She's So Heavy) (Abbey Road album) that inspired and rocketed Led Zeppelin.

I wouldn't say the rest were lower rungs, the Beatles are in a class of their own, even as solo artist, except Ringo Starr aka Richard Starkey. I won't delve into this too lenghtly. I have listened to evey Beatles album, plus all the compilation and so forth,over n over again. The only album that I listened oftern would be "Abbey Road", my favourite. It took me years to understand "Let It Be" the album, not until recent years when Paul reissued Let It Be, without the "wall of sound", then I could appreciate "Let It Be" album.

Rolling Stones, are in a universe of their own, can't compare, Led Zepplin, another planet, I know every single one of their albums by heart, Pin Flyod, Progressive rock, another class of their own, Fleetwood Mac, I followed them when Peter Green and later Danny Kirwan was with them, the only album I like was "Bare Trees" and their instrumental from that album, "Sunny Side Of Heaven". Only when they became commercial, I stopped following Fleetwood Mac.

As for the Eagles they weren't the first Southern Rock or Country Rock Group, others were before them, Lynyard Skynard, Firefall, International Southern Band, and so forth. I won't describe them as lower rungs than the Beatles either. From their first album, came, "Take It Easy", "Witchy Woman" , "Peaceful Easy Feeling" to their concept LP " Desperado", to their mega hit "Hotel California" to their last, "the Long Run" that yielded , "I Cant Tell You Why" (timothy B Schmdt), "Heartache Tonight" I have been following their music.

The Beatles, were innovators, daring, & talented, a class of their own, but the rest, are not second rund either.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Wisma Atria was the Indonesian Embassy Building Complex, it was designed like the houses you see in Indonesia. Many eons back, one Christmas morning, I bumped into someone I know, with her boy friend, so drunk, lying on the pavement outside Wisma Atria. not the current one.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Does anyone remember the bowling alley at Peace Centre?

Does anyone remember the limited bowling lanes at Hyatt Hotel? I bowled there back then, when Jackie Bowl was too crowded. Jurong Bowl at Taman Jurong? Used to like bowling, but gave up the game.