• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

remember these places ?

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Where Is It ?

Best Rolling Stones albums were Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers and Tattoo You. Best Rolling Stones songs were Satisfaction, Honky Tonk Women, Brown Sugar and Miss You. Just go and get a collection of Rolling Stones greatest hits. It should be running into 3 or 4 volumes by now. You won't regret it.

Thanks!, I have been following the Stones output for years, it is just that I prefer The Beatles, other than the Rolling Stones. I prefer drinking coffee, but I do drink some tea also, that is, I do listen to the Stones albums too.

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Where Is It ?

It's quite enlightening reading this thread.Thank you so much guys,

But what is glaring and conspicuously missing is ; how did other races lived their life and their memories ?

Sometimes,I drink with a group of uncles in their 50s and 60s in a coffee shop--once in a fortnight or so.One of them is a Malay and couple of them Indians and others are Chinese.Very rich in their past deeds.In fact,at least 3 among them served times under section 55.For those who are not familiar with what is indeed section 55 penal code,it is like ISA without trial to lock away hard core criminals and especially SS members.They still have their tattoos on.

Anyway,I showed this thread to my drinking kakis especially to the Malay and Indian uncles to whom I have to read aloud.They were laughing aloud .They painted a picture of a Singapore that is not exclusive to middle or lower middle class Chinese like ourselves who had an education.Their lifestyle was totally different.They were talking about trapping bats and monitor lizard for food and their kampong lives.Of course,the jail birds told me about their gang fights and who controlled what places and etc.

I suppose their lack of education and their inability to write English had left us with a large vacuum of how life was when they were young in the years 1940s and 50s and so on.Besides,who fraternize these forgotten sons of earth?

But what saddens me is the total lack of inputs by other races in their 50s and 60s .Where are they?Have sammyboy forum driven them off completely because of PAP dogs like Jah Rastafar existence?.....Is the story of Singapore complete without their exploits and experiences?

Just remember this.20 years down the road,Singapore may have more foreigners than local born.And perhaps a thread like this would be discussed entirely by foreign born.Would than that be the real Singapore as it was?

Sad.Really sad.

Last edited:

Borat

Alfrescian
Loyal
Last edited:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
After conversion to CD format, you can get the entire Beatles collection on just 15 CDs (13 original original albums + 2 singles compilation not available on albums. The Beatles were around together as a group for just 8 years, 1962 to 1970, but their output and hits were phenomenally unrivalled. During their years, on average, every 3 weeks there was a Beatles album at Billboard Number One and every six weeks there was a Beatles song at Billboard Number One. John Lennon in his usual sense of sarcastic humor claimed he's more popular than Jesus Christ and the churches burned Beatles records. Still they were at Number One.

The Beatles were the only group in the world after breakup, all members going solo could still hit Billboard Number One on their own.

Last edited:

Borat

Alfrescian
Loyal
After conversion to CD format, you can get the entire Beatles collection on just 15 CDs (13 original original albums + 2 singles compilation not available on albums. The Beatles were around together as a group for just 8 years, 1962 to 1970, but their output and hits were phenomenally unrivalled. During their years, on average, every 3 weeks there was a Beatles album at Billboard Number One and every six weeks there was a Beatles song at Billboard Number One. John Lennon in his usual sense of sarcastic humor claimed he's more popular than Jesus Christ and the churches burned Beatles records. Still they were at Number One.

The Beatles were the only group in the world after breakup, all members going solo could still hit Billboard Number One on their own.

My Beatles favourite "Across The Universe" was beamed into space by NASA.

http://news.sky.com/home/technology/article/1303609

2:05pm UK, Friday February 01, 2008
A Beatles song is about to be beamed across the universe at a speed of 186,000 miles per second.

It will be the first time a track has ever been transmitted directly into space, Nasa says.

Across the Universe will be transmitted over the agency's Deep Space Network to mark the 40th anniversary of the song's recording.

It will be aimed at the North Star, Polaris, which is 431 light years away from Earth.

Sir Paul McCartney, in a message to Nasa, said: "Amazing! Well done, Nasa! Send my love to the aliens. All the best, Paul."

Yoko added: "I see that this as the beginning of the new age in which we will communicate with billions of planets across the universe."

Anything listening out there would hear the lyrics which include the chorus line: "Nothing's gonna change my world."

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
Old Kallang

roller-coaster-1970.jpg

It is quite a big place, with Biliards saloon, shops and eateries.
Situated in Kallang Theatre and the Kallang Leisure Park.

Yah, I think I know where it is now. That means it is quite near to the old defunct stadium.

First, the stadium, then the National Library, then it was King Albert Mc Donald. Very soon, we will not be able to recognize anything that is related to the old Singapore we used to know. Haw Par Villa ?

Was that a Santa or a wizard in the hot sun ?

sg-national-stadium.jpg

Kallang+airport+aerial+view+c1940s.jpg

I guess this must the old airport even before the Paya Lebar one, correct ? B&w photo means 60s or 70s.

KuanTi01

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Parisilk was at Transit Road ( correct?) outside Nee Soon Camp, those who did their NS at Nee Soon Camp & the old School of Signals, & Sembawag airbase or Depp Barracks ( same as Johnny Depp) will know this shop.

Cost Plus was at the basement of Scotts , am I correct to say, it was owned by the Jumaboys? It was the first Electronics emporium back then, used to buy cheap calculators, VHS tapes ( remember those) etc. It was the "harvey norman" of our time, and it closed and was converted into a food court. There were few food courts in Orchard Road then, there was another at Forum Galleria, it was on the was it 3rd or 4th floor, and it moved to the basment, don't think it is there now. Subway niche is at the basment there, used to like their sandwiches.

I stand corrected; CostPlus was at 2nd storey; basement was Scotts Picnic Foodcourt.:biggrin:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Robinsons and John Little at Raffles Place.

Robinson's was next to Overseas Union Bank on the right side of Raffles Place, looking towards ABN Amro Bank, and John Little was on the left hand side. Robinson burned down during the Christmas season and people were trapped and died in the elevator, spent many of my childhood years at Robinson's Toy Department. It was redeveloped & became OUB Centre, now known as 1 Raffles Place. John Little was where SL Building is now, previouls known as Shell Tower.

KuanTi01

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It is Goh Sin Huat.

Anyone remember Hai Yan Ge Ju Yuan in Orchard Road? Live singing, live band but all in Chinese.

Yes I remember. It was located at Wisma Atria (pre-redevelopment). Beside it was an Indonesian-style coffee house called Rajendrawashi.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Old Kallang

Old Kallang Airport was really at Kallang just before crossing Nicoll Highway to Kallang Stadium. The runway led from Kallang Road to Nicoll Highway where the control tower was. It was taken over by People's Association when the airport was shifted over to Paya Lebar. That wasn't intended to be a permanent new airport, just interim as Changi was being developed and Kallang was already too small and too built up that caused aviation dangers.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes I remember. It was located at Wisma Atria (pre-redevelopment). Beside it was an Indonesian-style coffee house called Rajendrawashi.

Not Wisma Atria. Hai Yan was opposite old Orchard Cinema (now Orchard Cineplex). Somewhere where the California Fitness Centre is now.

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal

Old Kallang Airport was really at Kallang just before crossing Nicoll Highway to Kallang Stadium. The runway led from Kallang Road to Nicoll Highway where the control tower was. It was taken over by People's Association when the airport was shifted over to Paya Lebar. That wasn't intended to be a permanent new airport, just interim as Changi was being developed and Kallang was already too small and too built up that caused aviation dangers.

I also heard that Dakota Crescent was named after the first aircraft accident. I knew a friend who once live there and that place was said to be noisy because of the fighters taking off and landing at Paya Lebar airfield. That means the buildings there will have to be short. Then, he moved to place with a similar situation - Jurong West. Well, what a luck !

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I also heard that Dakota Crescent was named after the first aircraft accident. I knew a friend who once live there and that place was said to be noisy because of the fighters taking off and landing at Paya Lebar airfield. That means the buildings there will have to be short. Then, he moved to place with a similar situation - Jurong West. Well, what a luck !

Dakota Crescent is along Old Airport-Guillemard, not Paya Lebar. Yes, it was noisy all the way from Kallang to Kampong Arang area. That was the flight path for taking off and landing in those days, sure noisy with jet engines roaring. I wasn't aware of any accident in those days. Well, I couldn't be knowing everything, could I?