• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Reform Party: Ex SAF scholar joins Reform Party. Time to stop the Reform?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: O Level Results

I think someone in one of the threads quoted a Japanese luminary saying that our education system creates elites at the top and the rest have to fend for themselves with lest than mediocre education.

I am not proud of it, but my O level results was worst than his. I was one of the worst from my school. Those students who were not from our school, must have an aggregate of less than 12 to be admitted to Pre-U at our school in the 1970's. Through the Grace of God, and our Principal, Mr. Phillip Liau, who gave me and a few others an opportunity, because my 3 + 3 + 6 + 6 plus a 1 for ECA (at that time) totalled 19 which he allowed me to continue Pre-U. Fortunately, I managed to get a scholarship to university. After I graduated from university, at the professional exams in the True North, Strong and Free, I had straight one's.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Reform Party: Ex SAF scholar joins Reform Party

Its a new dawn and lets hope more surface. The article about his wife is also encouraging as the family and gender aspect is covered.

Maybe Tony heard about WP's energy policy and pulled out.

By the way, based on his age, he was in the pioneer batch of scholars where the government attempted to pair both male and female scholars by organising special events overseas and brought them locally after first year for "orientation". Part of old man's eugenics programme. At least the opposition benefited from it.

Yes, Scroobal. Tony is pretty media savvy in his approach of answering those questions. I was told that he first approach WP but later, don't know why, ended up in Reform Party. My source may be wrong because I have not checked with Tony yet.

Goh Meng Seng

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset

WP has lost 5 candidates and it still does not make the effort to recruit new talent?????

If Tony Tan went to RP because he failed to get into WP, it is WP's fault alone.

Mark my words, other parties will benefit from WP's inaction and lackdaisical attitude toward its own party renewal.

WP will fade into oblivion if it carries on like that.

WP should have some good talents although so far I have not seen any notable ones in their activities and forums organized. On the other hand, I also know that they have lost good people as well within this period... NUS lecturer and such. i.e. Jame Gomez is not the only University lecturer that they have lost so far.

Well I guess when you are big enough, you can afford to pick and choose.

Goh Meng Seng

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
Skeletons in the closest not yet exposed by PAP yet...

I'm sure PAP will pull out all his documentation and start accusing him of some small infraction.

Overseas scholars who did not make Lieutenant Colonel for the man or Director for the woman (did the woman get demoted in appointment from Deputy Director to Assistant Director even if she kept her grade?) within their bond period means they didn't make it in the first place.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset

I think you have a point.

Straits times highlighted that support from Malay community was the deciding factor in Aljunied GRC during the 2006 election.

Has the opposition engaged them and win their hearts and minds the last 4 years?
Maybe Goh Meng Seng can answer that question.

Engaging the Malay Community is a tricky step.

I am still seeking the right path though. But I do have a strategy for future victory. As Scroobal has put it, the Malay community looks at candidates from a personal perspective.

So my strategy for this coming election and the next one is, get a Malay candidate into parliament if my team manages to get any NCMP seats. Only by doing so, we could explicitly show the difference between PAP Malay MPs/ministers vs Opposition candidates' performance in parliament.

Of course, our Malay NCMP will have an advantage in the GE after next when he has the parliamentary experience as well as title as NCMP. My last political mission now is to achieve the minimum aim of getting one Malay opposition candidate into parliament, either via the NCMP scheme or winning the elections outright.

Goh Meng Seng

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Long ago, there's one Tony Tan Keng Yam I respect for his serenity, always very calm demeanour.

Then he end up at Chairman of SPH & GIC.

Yesterday, when I read of the new Tony Tan Lay Thiam of Reform Party, I could not help chuckling at the irony.

Then today, this Tony Tan circa 2010 comes with Mrs Tony Tan. Not bad, both respectable ex-members of the Admin Elite (until skeletons unearthed or manufactured).

Hmmm... Looks like Next GE, the SONS OF FAMOUS FATHERS will form the new generation.

Kenneth of the Jeyaratnam stock in one corner.

The other corner, the Puthucheary's offspring, Dr Janil Puthucheary.

On the sidelines, ex-promising new stars Dr Chee Soon Juan, sidelined by injury to pocket (bankrupt).

Also on the cards, aging warriors LKY & Chiam See Tong....

During the last election, I thought WP has lots of new finds : Goh Meng Seng (sic), Chia Ti Lik, Yaw Shing Loong, Syvia Lim etc.

One became NCMP, the rest some fare worse in PR terms, some left, some switch parties.

Can good party leaders retain talent ?

Is Kenneth Jeyaratnam good in man management ?

Only Time will tell.

S

Sun Wukong

Ex-scholars join Reform

Singapore
Home > Breaking News > Singapore > Story
Jan 20, 2010

Ex-scholars join Reform

<!-- by line --> By Kor Kian Beng
<!-- end by line -->
<!-- end left side bar -->
b8-1.jpg

Mr Tony Tan Lay Thiam and his wife, Ms Hazel Poa, both 39, are former government scholarship holders who have become members of the opposition Reform Party. They currently run a chain of tuition centres. -- ST PHOTO: DESMOND WEE

<!-- story content : start --> A FORMER officer in the Administrative Service, the top echelon of Singapore's Civil Service, has become a member of the opposition Reform Party. She is Ms Hazel Poa, 39, who worked for four years in the service in the 1990s. Her last-held post was that of an assistant director in the Finance Ministry. Possibly the first former Administrative Service officer to have joined the opposition in recent years, Ms Poa became a member of the Reform Party last month, eight months after her husband, Mr Tony Tan Lay Thiam. The couple, both of whom turn 40 this year, were government scholarship holders who went to Cambridge University in England, where they both obtained first-class honours degrees. She studied mathematics on a Public Service Commission scholarship, while he studied engineering on a Singapore Armed Forces Merit scholarship. They now run a chain of 10 tuition centres called SmartLab.

Read the full story in Wednesday's edition of The Straits Times.
[email protected]

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Looks like you have been keeping a ear to the ground. Either the son has not been told of old man's impression of his father or he has a thick skin. I was surprised that the father turned up at the book launch by Toa Payoh Brothel.

The other corner, the Puthucheary's offspring, Dr Janil Puthucheary.

heartlander

Alfrescian
Loyal
the woman definitely at least made it. An AD in the AS is already quite an achievement. though of course, in her time IIRC scholars were inducted into the AS right after graduation without any further selection process.

travelbug

Alfrescian
Loyal
Did the Poa woman complete her working bond with the civil service? I suspect that she broke her bond cos the ST only stated her 4 years of work in MOF and then nothing. Overseas graduates have 8 years of bond, correct?

So does anyone know what she did after 4 years in MOF, did she join any GLC or stat board? If she did, then perhaps she has served out her bond. If not, well you know, fodder for character assassination, as you know how chow kuan MIW is.

I will give them the benefit of the doubt and hope they can withstand the tsunami & earthquake of MIW propaganda machinery when it starts bulldozing them.

Power to Opposition!

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't think we need to worry very much abt the MIW jumping on any bond breaking issue.

Old Man admitted himself his grandson intended to break his bond and stay behind in US.

What's good for the goose is surely good for the gander.

Did the Poa woman complete her working bond with the civil service? I suspect that she broke her bond cos the ST only stated her 4 years of work in MOF and then nothing. Overseas graduates have 8 years of bond, correct?

So does anyone know what she did after 4 years in MOF, did she join any GLC or stat board? If she did, then perhaps she has served out her bond. If not, well you know, fodder for character assassination, as you know how chow kuan MIW is.

I will give them the benefit of the doubt and hope they can withstand the tsunami & earthquake of MIW propaganda machinery when it starts bulldozing them.

Power to Opposition!

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bro, have just checked. Tony had actually joined WP in early 2009 and quit a few months later. To avoid another setback, Hazel waited until Tony did his due diligence of RP. Hazel joined after Tony gave the thumbs up.

WP has an issue.

Yes, Scroobal. Tony is pretty media savvy in his approach of answering those questions. I was told that he first approach WP but later, don't know why, ended up in Reform Party. My source may be wrong because I have not checked with Tony yet.

Goh Meng Seng

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset

Bro, have just checked. Tony had actually joined WP in early 2009 and quit a few months later. To avoid another setback, Hazel waited until Tony did his due diligence of RP. Hazel joined after Tony gave the thumbs up.

WP has an issue.

Yes, I have just checked with Tony yesterday when we both joined TOC in their visit to another group of Homeless Happy Campers.

He was in the policy group, the think tank of WP but quit. Didn't talk about specifically why he quits but seems that WP is losing people like water.

Goh Meng Seng

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

He was in the policy group, the think tank of WP but quit. Didn't talk about specifically why he quits but seems that WP is losing people like water.

Like losing water? You mean dehydration or heatstroke? Anyway, water is precious (and expensive in Singapore); don't waste it.

exSINgaporean

Alfrescian
Loyal

I wonder how many of the receipts face this kind of odds.

Dream GRC Team: Chiam Chee Tong, Jaya, TT, TT's wife and another professional like a doctor or Chartered Accountant or better still Jack Li or jackie Chan or just one of those local Singapore idot (a Malay) to draw the yong people vote

Challenge PAP team like Wong Cunt Sing (or One Can't Sing) or Bee GEE Yeo.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal

WP has an issue.

I would see it this way. WP is feeding new recruits for the opposition camp as it is the most immediately recognizable name and often the first stop or door for newbies. A number of people from SDP, RP and NSP are all ex-WP but never the other way round.

If he did not join WP, perhaps he would not have set foot in RP. Which is a good thing for diversity causes.