• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Reason Why Singaporeans are Angry

blindswordsman

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm trying to cheer everyone up and point out to them that life is actually very good in Singapore and that all those who complain should snap out of their "doom and gloom" perspective of life and live life to the fullest instead.

How do you live life to the fullest in SG? You pay for a piece of paper of SGD70,000.00 to buy a vehicle; you pay SGD0.20 to piss or shit in a toilet; you pay at least SGD1.00 to park your vehicle and it counts by the minutes; you run when you see a parking warden; you are not eligible to buy HDB flat when you have reached certain age as you are no longer eligible to get housing loan even though you are a local born Singaporean. Is this a caring Govt?

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
How do you live life to the fullest in SG? You pay for a piece of paper of SGD70,000.00 to buy a vehicle; you pay SGD0.20 to piss or shit in a toilet; you pay at least SGD1.00 to park your vehicle and it counts by the minutes; you run when you see a parking warden; you are not eligible to buy HDB flat when you have reached certain age as you are no longer eligible to get housing loan even though you are a local born Singaporean. Is this a caring Govt?

Don't worry about how much you have to spend. Concentrate on maximising how much you can earn. When it comes to achieving wealth quickly, nothing beats the Singapore system.

FuckSamLeong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ask Lee Hsien Loong why estate duty in Singapore was abolished. Ask him how much is his, his wife, inheritance from Mum and from Dad soon, worth.

GoldenPeriod

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm trying to cheer everyone up and point out to them that life is actually very good in Singapore and that all those who complain should snap out of their "doom and gloom" perspective of life and live life to the fullest instead.

The main problem is that we don't want to live with chao ang mohs and other FT's. If we wanted to be 2nd class citizens and get abused by beer swiling ang mohs with a misguided sense of racial superiority, all of us would have migrated to Australia.

Last edited:

blindswordsman

Alfrescian
Loyal
true.

there is no such thing as an instant citizen.

culture, values, ethos, loyalty, sense of belonging, etc take time to cultivate and nurture

Citizenship should only be given to those born in this country. You play tennis, you get citizenship; you invest, you get citizenship. It does not make sense how sports and money can tie such new citizens to die for this country.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
I installed a brand new roof and sold the house 3 years later and the buyer tore the whole house down to rebuild a 3 story monster.

Actually construction cost in Singapore is inexpensive compared to many developed countries.

blindswordsman

Alfrescian
Loyal
He grew up in the slums of Hock Lam street in the heart of Chinatown and had to clean and cook for a family of 8 after he got home from school. He made good from hard work and an enterprising spirit.

I've known him since I was 8 years old. He's never had anything to do with the PAP. He just appreciates what good governance has done for the country and thankful that he has been given the opportunity to make good.

He is a lucky man and one of the few exceptions. Ordinary wage earners now do not have this luxury of doing well in SG.

jubilee1919

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Actually construction cost in Singapore is inexpensive compared to many developed countries.

Because labour for low wage workers are cheap. So Sam's comments that Singaporeans do not want these "unglamorous" jobs don't hold water. In short he is in self-denial.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
He is a lucky man and one of the few exceptions. Ordinary wage earners now do not have this luxury of doing well in SG.

Actually he is not the exception. I came from a school close to Hock Lam Street and I'd have to say that the majority of Chinatown boys have made good. Some are professionals. Some are businessmen. Some are Civil Servants. They all succeeded because they knew the value of hard work and an independent spirit.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Because labour for low wage workers are cheap. So Sam's comments that Singaporeans do not want these "unglamorous" jobs don't hold water. In short he is in self-denial.

A tradesman is not a laborer. A tradesman is someone who possesses a special set of skills required of a particular vocation. He is the one qualified to do the work.

He hires labor to do the dirty unskilled part of the job at a cheap rate but he makes a lot of money himself. However, it is a tough job often in hot and uncomfortable conditions which the majority of Singaporeans shun.

jubilee1919

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
So in the 60's 2 million population was enough, therefore they say "stop at 2, 1 is enough." After Goh took over the population started increasing and like a frog in the slow-boiled water we discovered the population has suddenly increased to 3.31 million.:eek: Together with foreigners the population is now about 5.4 million.

With the target to reach 6.9 million by 2030, will that be enough? If we look back into the past and the continual addition of foreigners to increase the population, the contention by the PAP was that we need more people to increase jobs and GDP. When will there ever be a time when Singapore no longer need a larger population to increase jobs and GDP? NEVER!

blindswordsman

Alfrescian
Loyal
The problem is not with the PAP. It lies in the fact that Singaporeans don't want to be builders, plumbers and carpenters. They view these vocations as beneath their dignity.

Buddy, you got it wrong. Locals who want to be builders, plumbers and carpenters have to compete with FTsh for the jobs. Employers pay levies to Govt for employing FTsh but they have to pay CPF contribution for employing locals. From Govt point of view, the levies represent a source of revenue but the CPF contribution must be returned to the locals. As long it is cheaper to pay levies, employers will recruit FTsh. If you were the Govt, what would you want to collect? Non-returnable levies or returnable CPF contributions?

jubilee1919

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
A tradesman is not a laborer. A tradesman is someone who possesses a special set of skills required of a particular vocation. He is the one qualified to do the work.

He hires labor to do the dirty unskilled part of the job at a cheap rate but he makes a lot of money himself. However, it is a tough job often in hot and uncomfortable conditions which the majority of Singaporeans shun.

That's not the point if we talk about construction. Of course there is a need for architects, lawyers, engineers and etc before construction work begins. The construction work will mostly be done by low-wage workers, not the plumber or skilled tradesmen. The argument that Singaporeans avoid skilled jobs that require working under the sun is something you think is true, but that is not the case. Many Singaporeans are working in such conditions and how do I know, because I work with Singaporeans doing these jobs.

What you know are stuff you read about and on short visits with a few people you know but anyone can say what they believe without even having experience living in Singapore.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Buddy, you got it wrong. Locals who want to be builders, plumbers and carpenters have to compete with FTsh for the jobs. Employers pay levies to Govt for employing FTsh but they have to pay CPF contribution for employing locals. From Govt point of view, the levies represent a source of revenue but the CPF contribution must be returned to the locals. As long it is cheaper to pay levies, employers will recruit FTsh. If you were the Govt, what would you want to collect? Non-returnable levies or returnable CPF contributions?

Vocations are not jobs. There may be a period of apprenticeship but once that is over, a tradesman is running his own show. How much work you get depends upon the quality of your work, the ability to get good references and the price you charge.

An FT tradesman and a local tradesmen have exactly the same overheads. There is no advantage being a foreigner.

jubilee1919

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Vocations are not jobs. There may be a period of apprenticeship but once that is over, a tradesman is running his own show. How much work you get depends upon the quality of your work, the ability to get good references and the price you charge.

An FT tradesman and a local tradesmen have exactly the same overheads. There is no advantage being a foreigner.

How does a local contractor compete with a Malaysian contractor for example when the latter employs his own Malaysian workers who stays in Johore and ride everyday into Singapore on their motorcycles and do the skilled and unskilled jobs?

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
What you know are stuff you read about and on short visits with a few people you know but anyone can say what they believe without even having experience living in Singapore.

I worked in manufacturing in Singapore for more than 10 years. When the factory was expanding, I had to take on the role of facilities manager working with the construction company project manager. I know how it works. Even in those days, I found that when it came to wiring, piping, gas installation etc, most of the skilled, well paying parts of the construction were done by Malaysians/Thais. The donkey work was done by the banglas.

The project manager told me himself that it was very hard to find a Singaporean electrician or gas fitter. The hours were long and irregular and involved heights and confined spaces and most Singaporeans wanted office hour jobs in an air con environment.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
How does a local contractor compete with a Malaysian contractor for example when the latter employs his own Malaysian workers who stays in Johore and ride everyday into Singapore on their motorcycles and do the skilled and unskilled jobs?

The Singaporeans hire exactly the same people. The Malaysian/Bangla workers couldn't care less whether they are hired by a sinkie or a malaysian as long as they are paid.

The Sinkie guy (my ex LCP) who re-tiled my roof got all his labor either from Bangladesh, Thailand or Malaysia.

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I paid him $12,000 to re tile my roof. That was $3000 cheaper than most of the other quotes I got. He did it in 2.5 days.

Are you suggesting that your tiler friend can earn $4,800 per day?

If he earns $4.800 per day from you, is that an exception?

jubilee1919

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I ran a business in Singapore for more than 10 years. When the factory was expanding, I had to take on the role of facilities manager working with the construction company project manager. I know how it works. Even in those days, I found that when it came to wiring, piping, gas installation etc, most of the skilled, well paying parts of the construction were done by Malaysians/Thais. The donkey work was done by the banglas.

The project manager told me himself that it was very hard to find a Singaporean electrician or gas fitter. The hours were long and irregular and involved heights and confined spaces and most Singaporeans wanted office hour jobs in an air con environment.

The pay was not enough and it was far cheaper for the sub-con to employ foreigners. I myself gave out jobs to my sub-cons who quote the lowest.