• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Question for English teacher Sam

Steve111

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Sam

What's the meaning of the word "subscribe" or "subscription" in these context?

1) I am sitting here talking to Jon Stewart and I'm trying to get it, trying to understand you, and trying to see whether or not you recognize that what I believe is true, that there is as much bias on the other side as you subscribe to Fox, and why you seem to go easy on that.

2) The background to the conflict was the refusal of the Hokkiens 'to join in a subscription to assist the rebels who had been driven from Amoy by the Imperial China Troops

Thanks!

UltimaOnline

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Hi Sam

What's the meaning of the word "subscribe" or "subscription" in these context?

1) I am sitting here talking to Jon Stewart and I'm trying to get it, trying to understand you, and trying to see whether or not you recognize that what I believe is true, that there is as much bias on the other side as you subscribe to Fox, and why you seem to go easy on that.

2) The background to the conflict was the refusal of the Hokkiens 'to join in a subscription to assist the rebels who had been driven from Amoy by the Imperial China Troops

Thanks!

In context #1, it means "follow and/or agree with the ideas of"

In context #2, it means "conscription or recruitment or supportive movement"