• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Punggol BE Pundits stumped, PAP launches rescue boat

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
hardcore PAP voters wouldn't, moderate voters on the fence whom voted for PAP in the last GE would have a chance to hear KJ articulating his policies in Queens English :smile::smile::smile:

I put it to you that this is not so. Why? Many PAP voters, including moderates are aware that the son and his late father have a grievance against the Lees. PAP voters, whether hardcore or moderates, would not vote for someone motivated by personal animosity towards to the two key figures on S'pore's political scene.

methink

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think yours is somewhat wishful thinking. For the PAP folks, elections are not tikam tikam hor. Why would PAP voters give Jeya any votes?

bcos the papzis know that the ground is shifting from them. broken promises may be a disillusioning factor too. opening the floodgate to massive import of foreigners and contributing to loss of jobs & lower incomes?

Last edited:

brocoli

Alfrescian
Loyal
quit rationalising your choices....

LLL was always the top of the list if you talk to Party volunteers, there was never any doubt...

picking Yee or GG has no upside, only downside....

even ignoring incumbency arguement, LL was the top candidate, she was the 1 of the few under consideration for Hougang

LL was more personable than Choon Yong, more enthusiastic than Frieda, and more commited than either Glenda or Angela... Hong Boon was never in the running....

even if she is no MP material, neither are the above....

there are no lack of policy guys but i think they are very far from the centre of power...

for all those armchair strategist who have no idea why LL was picked... look at Pritam speech again...

I say it long ago that she basically run Eunos for him.... and now we have Pritam words for it

the other LA who come near LL to in term of work rate would be choon yong....

were there to be another BE, my bet would be choon yong....

6000kmApart

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not quite true. LTK and PEH did take a dig at Palmergate - LTK said "Heaven has eyes" alluding to retribution for attacking them during YSL. SL gave away as much when she said at the end of her speech that they will talk abt TC another time. So AIM probably reserved for the last burst of fire to ambush the PAP.

It's strategy i reckon. AIMgate and Palmergate are two huge issues especially the former. There is an obvious move not to go full throttle on these two very sensitive issues at this early stage of the hustlings. PAP always scrutinise oppositions' speeches and if they find a lapse or two they will launch their tirade - notably character assassination and defamation suit.

WP is warming up the crowd and threading very carefully. I agree they will launch their rebuke on AIMgate and Palmergate (more so the former) for the grand finale. It will give PAP no time to respond and defend adequately. (however, you can bet state media will come to the rescue during cooling-off day)

6000kmApart

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't think that Mdm K has any direct involvement in politics.

I read with the understanding that it was more indirect involvement (soothsaying, advice) from Zhihau's pose. She was a smart lady. The facade in public can be deceiving. Francis Seow said in one interview in 2011 that Mdm K was the "dowager" or "dragon lady".

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I really hope so. But I wont hold my breath. We dont know how many foreigners turned new citizens we have in Punggol East. A thousand voting PAP would be plenty from the Pinoy Tiongs and Nehs

New citizens are likely to start off in the older estates getting their flats from the secondary market while waiting for their BTOs or if they are rich enough go into a private estate. Not a strong Punggol East characteristic.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's strategy i reckon. AIMgate and Palmergate are two huge issues especially the former. There is an obvious move not to go full throttle on these two very sensitive issues at this early stage of the hustlings. PAP always scrutinise oppositions' speeches and if they find a lapse or two they will launch their tirade - notably character assassination and defamation suit.

WP is warming up the crowd and threading very carefully. I agree they will launch their rebuke on AIMgate and Palmergate (more so the former) for the grand finale. It will give PAP no time to respond and defend adequately. (however, you can bet state media will come to the rescue during cooling-off day)

That is what i thought too! Still early to use the silver bullet. I expect gloves will be off if the PAP tries anything funny too!

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Back in 2006 (I think) LTK used 'heaven has eyes' to note that the rain stopped just in time for the rally then. This time, he is probably using the phrase on yet another level.

He definitely is jabbing at PAP becos he reminded the crowd why they were here again for another BE.

brocoli

Alfrescian
Loyal
Does LTK know something we do not?

This is the question that I have been asking myself when it comes to Lee Lilian. I am aware of LTK's shrewdness after being given a lesson by JW5. Sure Lilian is a nice person, hardworking, committed and would do everything possible for her voters.

I also found Pritam' speech very intriguing. Note how it was all about Lilian, her husband and her parents. Her help in dealing with voters. Nothing to do with PAP politics.

Looks like the wily fox picked LLL not for her loyalty and commitment over the years as a reward but honestly believes that she would be the person that voters want.

we all know something... you are the only one who dunno anything but like to pretend to know everything... trying being more humble and you may learn something for a change

metalmickey

Alfrescian
Loyal
I read with the understanding that it was more indirect involvement (soothsaying, advice) from Zhihau's pose. She was a smart lady. The facade in public can be deceiving. Francis Seow said in one interview in 2011 that Mdm K was the "dowager" or "dragon lady".

True but do you think that she could have improved the image of the PAP? Being an empress dowager doesn't mean that you are capable as a political / electoral consultant. I think the PAP is pretty shit at this game when KGC was alive, and they're still shit at this game now that KGC is dead.

metalmickey

Alfrescian
Loyal
we all know something... you are the only one who dunno anything but like to pretend to know everything... trying being more humble and you may learn something for a change

Give him a break lah. You can be a hero too once Shanmugam mentions you by sbf nickname in a lawyer's letter.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

The Old Man did admit that she was a better judge of character than himself. Probably it was just that that led people to believe she wielded a lot of power. If she could advise and persuade the Old Man on the appointment of key officials, wouldn't that seemed like wielding a lot of power?

metalmickey

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Old Man did admit that she was a better judge of character than himself. Probably it was just that that led people to believe she wielded a lot of power. If she could advise and persuade the Old Man on the appointment of key officials, wouldn't that seemed like wielding a lot of power?

That statement doesn't really mean as much as it seems. Women are always better at reading people than men are and it is not uncommon for husbands to trust the judgements of their wives in this matter.

Almost anybody is a better judge of character than LKY himself because he doesn't give a shit about anybody other than himself.

First ladies are in a great position of power if they want to wield it. Think about people like Sonia Gandhi, Hillary Clinton (who could well be the next US president) and Eleanor Roosevelt. And Ho Jinx.

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
This would be par for the course in any elections anywhere else. Even RJ said nothing. Something tells me it is not going to happen. Palmergate I understand as it will like the kettle and the pot scenario but Aimgate is a legitimate issue despite the threat issued to AA.

6000kmApart

Alfrescian
Loyal
This would be par for the course in any elections anywhere else. Even RJ said nothing. Something tells me it is not going to happen. Palmergate I understand as it will like the kettle and the pot scenario but Aimgate is a legitimate issue despite the threat issued to AA.

I reckon WP is careful with AIMgate because the explanations issued by THP revealed little and insinuates a lot. It's probably a political booby trap trying to make too much of a meal of it when the PAP is very economical with the facts and truth behind?

I note with interest that AIMgate exchange with the PAP was hogged on by bloggers and netizens. Every political party is silent including WP. The usually inquisitive SDP is also reticent.