• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Property Investment in Australia

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dude, I agree what you are saying.. your judgement is perhaps based on the current climate. Policy don't change overnight. I'm sure China will be able to ride well in the coming years. All pessimistic views are noted. But I am feeling great at this moment, please don't ask me why... soon ya see another boom coming up. Of coz the AUD exchange rate will be favourable in this 2-5yrs. Happy Investing !

I forgot to add a point in my earlier post. China will not fail suddenly, but it will hit a long delayed bump..

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dude, I agree what you are saying.. your judgement is perhaps based on the current climate. Policy don't change overnight. I'm sure China will be able to ride well in the coming years. All pessimistic views are noted. But I am feeling great at this moment, please don't ask me why... soon ya see another boom coming up. Of coz the AUD exchange rate will be favourable in this 2-5yrs. Happy Investing !

1.07 today. To RMB already 7.0.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
1.07 today. To RMB already 7.0.

I remembered I mentioned the mighty AUD some months back. Now you see it eh ? hehe...

Dude, this is not the final end yet. Regrettably, in recent weeks SG has up their currency to fight inflation.. if SGD remains the same in the past, I expect to see 1.45 by 2012.

Now, I guess my return for retirement have to be around 2013-2015 :(

Last edited:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

1. At the end of the day, US holds the answer because all of us are using USD-backed currency. Ouch!

2. As for China, as long as it is not thinking the economic rule, "Income is King", it will always remain underdeveloped.

A country's raise to economic power is determined by its ability to increase the wage of workers. Because wages generate national wealth.

By exporting goods through low-labour cost production is sending wealth into the importing country, not the exporting country.

What China earns is USD which cannot be used in its domestic economy.

It is the same in USA, Americans are not earning enough, that is why they have to turn to debts and cheap imported goods to maintain their standard of living.

Debt is killing America softly, at $1.3 billion a day. :eek:

Last edited:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There are always 2 sides to this DOLE story.

Why are prices going up all over the world? Economists call it INFLATION. It is to finance the rich.

Why is ECB in trouble? They blame on the easy targets, the poor and the govt welfare spending. No wonder the Greeks want to eat the rich.

The RICH control 80% of the world resources - why?

Conclusion: Always see both sides of the coin. The smart rich rip the system to their advantage, the smart poor rip the system to their advantage too.

Once I am financially independent, I should idle and let my money earn money
Who cares if dole dodgers are doing the same? :biggrin:

I will close one-eye and let them access to free money, as long as they dun complain and allow me to earn money MY WAY. :biggrin:

Velma

Alfrescian
Loyal
1. At the end of the day, US holds the answer because all of us are using USD-backed currency. Ouch!

2. As for China, as long as it is not thinking the economic rule, "Income is King", it will always remain underdeveloped.

A country's raise to economic power is determined by its ability to increase the wage of workers. Because wages generate national wealth.

By exporting goods through low-labour cost production is sending wealth into the importing country, not the exporting country.

What China earns is USD which cannot be used in its domestic economy.

It is the same in USA, Americans are not earning enough, that is why they have to turn to debts and cheap imported goods to maintain their standard of living.

Allow me to make my frank statement here. US is not in good shape but for some weird reason, the whole world is at the mercy of Wall Street. Wall Street falls, we fall.

China is rising, but in reality, it is only the rich becoming mega-rich. The poor are actually getting poorer. Same as Singapore. On the outside, we look good because economy is doing well. Scratch the surface and you find out that it is only a certain group that is getting richer while the rest are getting worse off. Those Chinese housing projects in PRC are actually just mere opportunities for officials to pocket more coffee money, nobody lives there. Malaysia is a good example if one does not understand what I mean.

If the Chinese do not address these issues, it is only a matter of time before China might 'implode'. There is not much welfare for the suffering ones and the rich officials could not care less about the people. Youths will just move towards immigration to Western nations, and ironically contribute to their new host. Singaporean youths are also doing the same thing. Those who can think out of the box will migrate and those who are contented to have their thoughts shaped by other people stay.

Anyway, economy is a poor judgment of a nation. What is important is the patriotism and mindset of the people. That is why Japan has stood strong in the weather of time. It is not a big nation but its people are mentally strong, which wins them admiration from other nations. Even if one economy is good but people lack patriotism, it is a matter of time that nation will fall.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Allow me to make my frank statement here. US is not in good shape but for some weird reason, the whole world is at the mercy of Wall Street. Wall Street falls, we fall.

China is rising, but in reality, it is only the rich becoming mega-rich. The poor are actually getting poorer. Same as Singapore. On the outside, we look good because economy is doing well. Scratch the surface and you find out that it is only a certain group that is getting richer while the rest are getting worse off. Those Chinese housing projects in PRC are actually just mere opportunities for officials to pocket more coffee money, nobody lives there. Malaysia is a good example if one does not understand what I mean.

If the Chinese do not address these issues, it is only a matter of time before China might 'implode'. There is not much welfare for the suffering ones and the rich officials could not care less about the people. Youths will just move towards immigration to Western nations, and ironically contribute to their new host. Singaporean youths are also doing the same thing. Those who can think out of the box will migrate and those who are contented to have their thoughts shaped by other people stay.

Anyway, economy is a poor judgment of a nation. What is important is the patriotism and mindset of the people. That is why Japan has stood strong in the weather of time. It is not a big nation but its people are mentally strong, which wins them admiration from other nations. Even if one economy is good but people lack patriotism, it is a matter of time that nation will fall.

You got it. These days, it is the rich deciding policies, do you think they care about the people. ** OK They only care enough to stop them complaining and go on riot **

A good example.
Wall St scratch Congress's back, Congress return the favour. How long can this continue.

I do not need to give a China example.

The recent crackdown on dissent has the opposite effect of delaying the government elites from taking real action. The current batch of leaders want to handover a peaceful China next year.

Last edited:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
When people see bullet trains, I see wrong priority in development. These trains are expensive toys of the cadres. They have narrow seats, to keep the fare down. And cheap trains removed from service so the poor have to take these trains.
LATEST UPDATE!
Ever since the last railway department head rolled over corruption, this new dept head will change the "direction" to make train travel available for all again, including the poor. One way is to reduce the bullet train speed from 350km/h to 300 and later 200km/h. This will make it 50% cheaper to run.:wink:

Last edited:

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
I find China at an interesting development phase now. Whether its inflated property market would bust or not in the short term is very much the question. There is no way that it can continue this surge without any rise in "real" wages for its people. The repercussion is just too great, already you have units in major cities that cost exactly the same as in Sydney. But with wages of 5-6K RMB a month. This is not sustainable. The biggest problem with that is that half of china is experiencing overgrowth, while the other half is just starting its development. How this would play out would be pretty interesting to watch.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What is important is the patriotism and mindset of the people. That is why Japan has stood strong in the weather of time. It is not a big nation but its people are mentally strong, which wins them admiration from other nations. Even if one economy is good but people lack patriotism, it is a matter of time that nation will fall.

I should show my partner this. She is from Japan and left Japan to marry a Singapore-born Aussie. :biggrin:

I can tell you that there are a lot of issues with Japan now that will translate to big problems later on. Those Tokyo University elites running the central banks are fools.

Japan may be middle-class, but there are a number of silent poor and even more silent jobless salarymen. I am paying for medicine for my "in-law" because they are working but too poor to even pay for that! Do outsiders know? Of course not. Japan is a homogeneous society and this make things difficult for them.

Last edited:

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
I thought medical expense in Japan is "affordable"?

I should show my partner this. She is from Japan and left Japan to marry a Singapore-born Aussie. :biggrin:

I can tell you that there are a lot of issues with Japan now that will translate to big problems later on. Those Tokyo University elites running the central banks are fools.

Japan may be middle-class, but there are a number of silent poor and even more silent jobless salarymen. I am paying for medicine for my "in-law" because they are working but too poor to even pay for that! Do outsiders know? Of course not. Japan is a homogeneous society and this make things difficult for them.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I find China at an interesting development phase now. Whether its inflated property market would bust or not in the short term is very much the question. There is no way that it can continue this surge without any rise in "real" wages for its people. The repercussion is just too great, already you have units in major cities that cost exactly the same as in Sydney. But with wages of 5-6K RMB a month. This is not sustainable. The biggest problem with that is that half of china is experiencing overgrowth, while the other half is just starting its development. How this would play out would be pretty interesting to watch.

The negative savings interest rate is a concern because this country will be reduced to barefoot doctors again to care for the "pensioners"

The property bubble is no different from Japan. Japan has not recovered from that property slump.

Velma

Alfrescian
Loyal
You got it. These days, it is the rich deciding policies, do you think they care about the people. ** OK They only care enough to stop them complaining and go on riot **

A good example.
Wall St scratch Congress's back, Congress return the favour. How long can this continue.

I do not need to give a China example.

The recent crackdown on dissent has the opposite effect of delaying the government elites from taking real action. The current batch of leaders want to handover a peaceful China next year.

Chinese are not very good leaders in the first place. I always have the naggy feeling that most Chinese leaders are on top solely for the benefits and money. Seldom are they good in instilling nationalistic pride. To be fair, Chinese themselves are very divided.

For China, the most pressing issue will be Xinjiang. Muslims, big area, internet and you get a very delicate situation. Taiwan is now under 'control' as they need the Chinese economy to survive. Next, will be how to curb inflation and ensure the poor do not become dirt-poor.

Sad how leaders used to serve the people with sincerity and now it has become a position of benefit and power, instead of charity.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
The negative savings interest rate is a concern because this country will be reduced to barefoot doctors again to care for the "pensioners"

The property bubble is no different from Japan. Japan has not recovered from that property slump.

Indeed, whether China would take that as a lesson is another matter. My feeling is that China thinks there is still room for growth, and would continue to expand economic regions towards the west of the country. Whether this is sustainable is still early to tell. Or, if it would lead to another "Cultural" revolution when the average workers starts getting fed-up with the situation.

Velma

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hmm my friend is doing fine in Japan and love it there compared to Singapore. In fact, he feels robbed in Singapore than in Japan. Granted, every nation has its set of positives and negatives. Like how old men are still clinging onto power. But the difference is, Japan got balls to tell LDP to fuck off and bring in DPJ who is slowly bringing in change.

For the last paragraph, I believe it is due to Japanese's strong emphasis on pride.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hmm my friend is doing fine in Japan and love it there compared to Singapore. In fact, he feels robbed in Singapore than in Japan. Granted, every nation has its set of positives and negatives. Like how old men are still clinging onto power. But the difference is, Japan got balls to tell LDP to fuck off and bring in DPJ who is slowly bringing in change.

For the last paragraph, I believe it is due to Japanese's strong emphasis on pride.

Every country has its own sets of problems or advantages. There is no perfect nation/country to go to. You just have to make up your mid where would suit you better.

Velma

Alfrescian
Loyal
Every country has its own sets of problems or advantages. There is no perfect nation/country to go to. You just have to make up your mid where would suit you better.

True. As you said, migration is not for everybody. I will just choose the nation that suit my values and emphasis. :wink:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I thought medical expense in Japan is "affordable"?

Yes, the welfare system is excellent, but some of the things still have to be paid, such as medicine.

Just like in every society, there are poor people, I know of an older person who worked in Toyko who can only make ends meet.

Many cannot move from the radiation zone because they cannot afford to move.

It is becoming shocking to me that near-elderly people are taking care of the elderly. That is where robots come in to relieve some carers duties.

This will be the case in Singapore without foreign talents. But can FTs fill Singapore's aging population trap?

Every society has problems, it is the same with Korean-Japanese and Chinese-Japanese who have to fit into the mainstream to survive.

Some of the things are not immediately noticable by expats.

Last edited:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That seems quite a distant future for now. Anyway, I think its prudent to have some cash in hand. Either way the property market goes saving up would be best option for me now. Goes up, more % on the deposits, goes down, lesser % I need to borrow to get a new place. The interesting thing would be looking at the chinese property market. Prices there are even higher compared to the salaries there. Ghost towns and cities are also there where 90% of buildings are vacant even though they are "sold out".

It is worth waiting for a property. This is going to be one looooong soft landing for Perth. I think Sydney will be the same.

Perth hit by further drop in home values <!-- google_ad_section_end(name=story_headline) --><!-- // .story-headline -->
  • <LI class="byline first ">Russell Quinn, Business Reporter <LI class="source ">From: <CITE>PerthNow </CITE>
  • April 29, 2011 1:54PM
PERTH has continued its poor run in terms of housing prices, registering the second biggest drop in values nationwide for the March quarter, according to RP Data. <!-- google_ad_section_end(name=story_introduction) --><!-- // .story-intro --><!-- google_ad_section_start(name=story_body, weight=high) -->
The latest RP Data-Rismark Home Value Index indicated that dwelling values in Perth for the three months to March fell 3.4 per cent, seasonally adjusted, or 2.6 per cent in terms of raw data.
The median price for a house in Perth is $465,000.
Only Brisbane performed weaker over the quarter with values tapering sharply by 4.6 per cent, seasonally adjusted, and a drop of 3.3 per cent raw.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Indeed, March sales suggest 1.8% fall in Sydney. 53% clearance rate at auction with many withdrawal last minute. Price is starting to fall and I dont' think its hitting bottom.
It is worth waiting for a property. This is going to be one looooong soft landing for Perth. I think Sydney will be the same.

Perth hit by further drop in home values <!-- google_ad_section_end(name=story_headline) --><!-- // .story-headline -->
  • <LI class="byline first ">Russell Quinn, Business Reporter <LI class="source ">From: <CITE>PerthNow </CITE>
  • April 29, 2011 1:54PM
PERTH has continued its poor run in terms of housing prices, registering the second biggest drop in values nationwide for the March quarter, according to RP Data. <!-- google_ad_section_end(name=story_introduction) --><!-- // .story-intro --><!-- google_ad_section_start(name=story_body, weight=high) -->
The latest RP Data-Rismark Home Value Index indicated that dwelling values in Perth for the three months to March fell 3.4 per cent, seasonally adjusted, or 2.6 per cent in terms of raw data.
The median price for a house in Perth is $465,000.
Only Brisbane performed weaker over the quarter with values tapering sharply by 4.6 per cent, seasonally adjusted, and a drop of 3.3 per cent raw.