• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Please advise on my business ideas

YellowRibbon

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear fellow bros,

Lets say if yoiu have $50k, what business would you set up ?

I want to start up a F&B business. Thinking of steamboat or buffet restuarant.

Is it possible at all or do i need to get a bank business loan ?

This La Mei Zi steamboat is like one good example : http://www.lameizi.com.sg/contact_lameizi_en.html

If the cost is too high, other business ideas i have in mind is to setup a massage shop. (Ya, those kind of hang goat head sell dog meat type)

This is my second choice.

Internet cafe i was interested but i dont think nowadays ppl still go internet cafe.

So dear bros, please suggest what you will do if you have $50k cash. It is not a big sum, but ...... i want to do something instead of gambling this money away.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
50k hard to set up a buffet/steamboat business.

Internet shop possible but your location and niche must be there. Look at Geylang, so many Internet shops. Some are doing a roaring business 24/7 and some only can sit there to fan the mosquito.

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
By the way, anyone familiar with the procedure to get a coffee shop stall? I just have to go ask the boss of the coffee shop right? How about the legislation part? Must apply hawker permit or other licenses?

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
50k hard to set up a buffet/steamboat business.

Internet shop possible but your location and niche must be there. Look at Geylang, so many Internet shops. Some are doing a roaring business 24/7 and some only can sit there to fan the mosquito.
those internet roaring business one are hang goat head sell dog meat type.......

50K not enough for any type of 'restaurant'........takeover hawker stall or stall in kopi shop still can.

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
those internet roaring business one are hang goat head sell dog meat type.......

50K not enough for any type of 'restaurant'........takeover hawker stall or stall in kopi shop still can.

Need license? Little tigress whipped up a meal of mee hoon kuey for me over the weekend and I think can surpass all the mee hoon kuey I ate before. The mee hoon kuey is pinched by hand and not machine. I have another cousin selling the same thing and just within few years, she has one condo in Singapore and JB.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Need license? Little tigress whipped up a meal of mee hoon kuey for me over the weekend and I think can surpass all the mee hoon kuey I ate before. The mee hoon kuey is pinched by hand and not machine. I have another cousin selling the same thing and just within few years, she has one condo in Singapore and JB.
1st hand hawker (stallowner) need certain criteria to apply.......if 2nd hand hawker or kopi shop stall no need any license but need to go for jabs or what food handling course if not wrong. Sell food if your food nice and/or location good its BEE TANG.....you all know there are alot of rich hawkers out there.

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Thanks Narong and lorrydriver.

Yeah, I know that. Someone sold roast ducks, sold until got dragon got tiger. Little tigress cooking skill sure can make it. No harm giving it a shot.

Extremist

Alfrescian
Loyal
buy from Genneva?

Gold has traditionally been regarded as a good hedge against inflation. Investing in gold is one of the simplest and most convenient way to preserve the value of our money. So, what are some of the ways to invest in gold? What are the pros and cons?

In Singapore, you can invest in gold in a few ways:

1) Buy physical gold (coins and bars);

2) Invest in gold ETF;

3) Open a Gold Savings Account;

4) Buy gold certificates.

PHYSICAL GOLD:

The best way to invest in physical gold is to buy them from UOB bank. UOB sells readily recognisable gold bullion coins like the Gold American Eagle, Canadian Maple Leaf, Australian Kangaroo Gold Nuggets and Singapore Lion Gold Bullion coins, in weights ranging from 1/20 oz to one oz (two oz coins are sometimes available).

Investors should take note that there are two categories of gold coins, namely, gold bullion coins and numismatic coins. You will want to buy gold bullion coins, which are sold at a small mark-up to the spot price. Numismatic coins are sold at very high prices relative to spot and are meant for coin collectors. You should avoid buying numismatic coins unless you are a coin collector or numismatic coin expert.

PROS:

Owning physical gold is probably the safest way to invest.

UOB issues receipts for the gold that they sell and is committed to buy them back at a small discount to the spot price of gold at any time, as long as the receipts are presented. That means you can sell your gold back to UOB at your convenience without having to look for a buyer yourself.

CONS:

You will be charged GST (presently at 7%) when buying gold bullions in Singapore. Physical gold may not be easy to sell for a good price when you need money urgently, unless you buy them from UOB. Physical gold may also be susceptible to theft or burglary.

CONCLUSION:

Owing physical gold is one of the safest and fun way to invest. The best way is to buy them from UOB since they are committed to buy back the gold at any time. Just make sure you keep the receipts and the gold bullions in good condition. I personally think UOB is providing a very good service for investors by selling the gold at a competitive price for buyers and providing a ready buy-in market for sellers.

I would try to buy physical gold at as close to the spot price as possible (price is my number one consideration). I would also prefer to buy an internationally “recognisable” or well known legal tender coins, such as the Gold American Eagle, Canadian Maple Leaf and Australian Kangroo if they are sold at the same price as other “less known” bullion coins.

Gold American Eagle

Canadian Maple Leaf

Australian Kangaroo

GOLD SAVINGS ACCOUNT (GSA):

This is another service provided by UOB. Investors can open a Gold Savings Account from OUB just like opening a cash savings account. The difference is that your savings will be recorded in “gold grams” instead of dollars and cents.

PROS:

GSA is another convenient and liquid way to invest in gold. Investors can deposit or withdraw gold grams at their convenience in cash form. Investors can also open a GSA using part of their CPF money under the CPF Investment Scheme.

CONS:

Gold grams cannot be exchanged for physical gold for retail investors. They can only be deposited or withdrawn in cash. UOB also charges a small monthly fee for GSA. I have heard critics saying that GSA is just another form of gold derivative and is therefore not as safe as investing in physical gold. Furthermore, unlike cash deposits, GSAs are not covered under the Deposit Insurance Scheme. The risk therefore lies in the solvency of UOB. I personally would not worry too much as long as UOB remains a stable and well-managed bank. In fact I have invested part of my CPF money in a GSA account with UOB.

CONCLUSION:

GSA is a convenient and low-cost way to invest in gold (derivative). The safety of your investment is tied to the solvency of the bank (UOB).

GOLD CERTIFICATES:

UOB bank sells unallocated gold certificates in Singapore. These certificates are sold in kilobars and are redeemable for physical gold at any time (Note: I believe the redemption is on a “best effort” basis though, ie. non-guaranteed).

GOLD ETF (SPDR):

Investors can buy Gold ETF listed in the Singapore Exchange under the ticker symbol GLD 10US$, also known as SPDR (prounounced as “spider”) Gold Shares. This is a low cost fund backed by physical gold (held in custody in the US) and is traded in US dollar.

PROS:

Gold ETF is one of the most convenient ways to invest without having to take physical delivery of gold. All you need is a share trading account and you can buy or sell it at anytime, just like buying or selling shares of any other publicly listed companies. Investors have assurance that the fund is 100% backed by physical gold. Investors can also buy SPDR using part of their CPF money under the CPF Investment Scheme.

CONS:

Since it’s traded in US dollars, you will have to incur a foreign exchange fee. There are also other fees built into the fund (eg. audit and storage fees) which, in my opinion is quite negligible.

Even though the fund provides for the possibility of taking physical possession of the gold bars, it is generally unrealistic in practise, since under the fund agreement, physical gold can only be redeemed in blocks of 100,000 shares (ie. close to SGD$2 mil at today’s price). There is also a concern that it is susceptible to fraud, just like any other listed companies.

I personally think that the possibility of fraud is very slim as long as proper safety measures are in place. In the case of SPDR, the gold is held in the form of a “Trust” and the trustees are allowed to visit and inspect the gold held by the custodian, HSBC bank USA, twice a year. The Trust’s independent auditors may also audit the Gold holdings in the vault as part of their audit of the Financial Statements of the Trust.

However, US has a precedent of gold confiscation which investors may want to take into account. This happened in the year 1933 during the Great Depression.

http://blog.theasianinvestor.com/how-to-invest-in-gold/

Television

Alfrescian
Loyal
Food stall = Easy up to 60k

50k for a restaurant buffet will only work in 3rd world countries, not in Singapore.

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
Do not attempt to be all things to everyone because you will be nothing in particular.

Instead, identify a small demographic of the population and then sell stuff to that niche market.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
50K for shop space a little tough. Rental+Deposit probably already one third gone liaoz. Hawker Centre or Coffee shop stall maybe can try if you know how to cook.

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
you dunt go NZ already? or you plan to do this at NZ

There is no harm to earn more money. With this experience, I have a another choice should I made it to NZ.

By the way, I've decided to finish the diploma in electronics with NYP first before going. Already starting my 1st semester. :biggrin: