• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Pictures of Shanghai

NongHor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Standing on the Pudong side of the bund one can see this lotus roof building on the Puxi side.

The lotus roof building stood out like a sore thumb. This modern building simply don't blend with the other old stately historical building.

tumblr_mbo1cuaJ4q1qdqu6jo1_500.jpg

NongHor

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Westin Bund Center

The Westin Bund Center.jpg

This is not a very interesting building except that it stood out like a sore thumb. Initially I thought it to be some Buddhist place. Later I found out that it is just another hotel with laser beaming out at nite.

NongHor

Alfrescian
Loyal
One aspect of Shanghai that marvels me when I first arrive are the bridges and viaduct.

Puxi Viaduct.jpg

This is an example of the viaduct at Puxi side.

In Pudong, the viaduct are alot simpler, not so complicated and complex.

NongHor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Another picture of the NanPu Bridge viaduct.

Nanpu Bridge Shanghai  China (7).jpg

Thank goodness I can always count on my driver. He is a good guy. 100% dependable.

NongHor

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is the NanPu Bridge that links Puxi and Pudong. It is one of the 3 bridges I am going to feature here.

nanpu_bridge.jpg

NongHor

Alfrescian
Loyal
While the NanPu Bridge (see above) connects the Pudong and Puxi on the Inner Ring Road, the XuPu Bridge connects the Pudong and Puxi on the Outer Ring Road.

shanghai-xupu-bridge.jpg

NongHor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Another old picture of the XuPu Bridge.

Old because you can see that the foreground has not changed into the Shanghai World Expo venue yet.

Those land used to be shipyards before it was converted into the World Expo venue in 2010.

XuPu bridge.jpg

NongHor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Overview of the XuPu Bridge at night.

8345822-night-view-of-the-bridge-and-city-in-shanghai-china.jpg

This seems to be a much newer picture as the surrounding shipyards are no longer there. Instead can see huge signboard - typical of Expo setting.

NongHor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Final picture of the XuPu Bridge - a nite shot.

There were cameras that catch speeding vehicles. My friend got a speeding ticket while we were in his car visiting another friend. :o

1330413916_81787.jpg

NongHor

Alfrescian
Loyal
LuPu Bridge - the bridge that connects Pudong and Puxi via the North-South Elevated Road.

00019676.jpg

From Wiki:

When the bridge was completed, it became the world's longest arch bridge, surpassing the earlier title holder, the New River Gorge Bridge.

An inauguration ceremony was held on June 27, 2003, featuring a group of runners, including Yao Ming, who were the first to cross the bridge. The bridge opened to vehicular traffic the next day.

In 2009, Lupu Bridge lost its title of the world's longest arch bridge to the Chaotianmen Bridge in Chongqing. The longest span of the Chaotianmen Bridge was only 2 metres (7 ft) longer, at 552 metres (1,811 ft).

The Lupu Bridge was one of the architectural centerpieces of Expo 2010 in Shanghai, as it formed part of the western boundary of the Expo site.

Last edited:

NongHor

Alfrescian
Loyal
The 99 dragon pillar.

Take a closer look at the central pillar of the viaduct. It is brown in color. It is brown because it is a metal sheet. On this metal sheet, 99 dragons (supposed to be) are being sculptured on to it.

The story goes that when Shanghai wanted to build the 1st viaduct, it failed. The pile refused to get in.

Many attempts failed.

The anxious mayor of Shanghai seek the wisdom of a wise aging monk. The monk told him that he cannot do it because the pile is hitting the head of the dragon.

The mayor asked, what could be done. The monk replied that he cannot tell for if he tell he will die.

The mayor told the monk that the viaduct is very important for the benefits of everybody and he has to do his share.

The monk told him to wrap the pile with 99 dragons picture and after the pile is driven in, the final column will have to be covered by a metal sheet with 99 dragons scuptured on it. Shortly there after the monk died.

This story is told by my Shanghainese driver. True or false is up to you.

99 dragon viaduct.jpg

Enjoy the architecture of the multi layers viaduct.

NongHor

Alfrescian
Loyal
How safe are the viaducts?

Initially, everytime the car travel below a viaduct, my heart jump.

Soon by and by, I began to accept it as safe.

Then again...

How safe is viaduct.jpg

Thank goodness, this is not happening in Shanghai. Security forces have maintained a strict control on the type of vehicles allowed. No heavy vehicles are allow to travel on viaducts in Shanghai.

NongHor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Visitors to Shanghai must always try to ride the meglev out or to Pudong International Airport.

This high speed train is one of the fastest in the world. At the peak speed, it is more than 400km an hour.

One does not feel anything when travelling on it. It is simply a smooth ride.

Shanghai-China-maglev.jpg

800px-a_maglev_train_coming_out_pudong_international_airport_shanghai_ELlHY_1333.jpg

Both pictures showing the train pulling out of the airport.

NongHor

Alfrescian
Loyal
The interior of the train. It is always not full.

The steep ticket price could be a reason. Only two terminals - Longyang and Pudong Airport, could be another.

imagesCAK6TQJN.jpg

Remember to check the train schedule before heading to the train station. Show your airticket and you get a discount.

NongHor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Cheng Huang Miao aka Yu Yuan

This picture shows the Cheng Huang Miao shopping area.

2274587-Cheng_Huang_Miao_Temple_of_the_City_Shanghai_Shi.jpg

A picture showing the main road around the Cheng Huang Miao shopping area.

DSC06363.jpg

Last edited: